IGNORED

William & Kate 3

samurai_sarah

She's probably reached the at least able to help with homework and move around more easily stage. I'm told that by four weeks I should be able to do more for taking care of myself.  I was warned I wouldn't be able to lift more than a teacup for a few weeks and that a shower chair would likely be needed..  Cooking is out until approved by the medical staff.  Many people need to use a walker for a few weeks.  Doctors want to give the stitches a good six weeks to be well on their way to healing.  It takes six to eight months for complete internal healing of the stitched areas.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I will add that this is the first surgery ever where I've had both OT and PT appointments BEFORE the surgery.  It's not uncommon with orthopedic issues as with the hand surgery my doctor gave me exercises to do while my hand and arm were still casted.  My daughter had PT while waiting for her knee surgery, but she asked for it if it was reasonable.  But this isn't orthopedic.  The OT was about what I expected.  I'm curious what PT will be.  OT already covered getting up and walking. 

ETA:  So standard recovery time for major open abdominal surgery is 6 to 12 weeks. Standard hospital stay is 7 to 14 days.  Might as well ask, right?  I do need to know.  

The recovery time is what the docctor would allow before return to work.  Based on that Catharine's 2.5 or so months falls within normal limits.  She will be working on extending her activity time  and level and getting back to full normal activities.  I, apparently, being nowhere near Catherine's age and fitness look like I'll have a rest of my life limit to lift of 10 pounds.  They don't expect me to need much if any post-op PT once out of the hospital though.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 3

Carry on here:

• Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic