IGNORED

William & Kate 3

samurai_sarah

It took me less than two seconds to find this: https://royalfoundation.com/prince-william-and-the-royal-foundation-launch-uk-wide-programme-to-end-homelessness/

£3,000,000 right there.

Plus this: https://people.com/kate-middleton-and-prince-william-to-replace-food-stolen-from-food-bank-7509618

Is there always more to do? Of course.

I’m not a RF apologist in the slightest bit, but it’s ridiculous to criticize someone for both providing funds and publicity for a good cause. I get that @Jackie3 can’t stand William and Kate, and will desperately grab at anything to hate on them, but this really is grasping at straws. 

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 5

Well… Will and Kate just need to open up all those dozens of castles  they own and let all the homeless people stay in them!1!  Why aren’t they selling off all that  boring pointless historical art, artifacts, sculpture, manuscripts they own for money to donate??? Nobody cares about old stuff. 

They just need to march into parliament and make it happen ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

The Royal Foundation money doesn't come from the royals. It comes from rich donors.

William took at least 10 helicppter flights, in the last two days, to promote his "Homeward" homelessness cure.  

I guess he wants *everyone else* to make sacrifices to save the planet.

2 hours ago, treehugger said:

I’m not a RF apologist in the slightest bit, but it’s ridiculous to criticize someone for both providing funds and publicity for a good cause. I get that @Jackie3 can’t stand William and Kate, and will desperately grab at anything to hate on them, but this really is grasping at straws. 

I have to feel for William in this situation. It's a bit of a no win situation. He's incredibly privileged with (rumored) four homes, so a lot of people aren't going to take him seriously when it comes to discussing homelessness. However, his heart appears to be in the right place and he's doing the best he can. It's better than doing nothing but it's never going to be enough to satisfy everyone. And I say this as someone who doesn't particularly like William. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Yup. If one is determined to hate,  be deliberately obtuse and  ignorant  and find fault like the Jackalope and its like nothing will suffice. 

• Upvote 4

Wiliam has been involved with projects around homelessness for over 20years. So I do believe his involvement is sincere. But I also think claiming to end homelessness in the UK till 2030 was stupid. That’s quite the statement to be measured against. Sadly, I don’t think it will work. 

• Upvote 5

Actually, I would be willing to bet that a good deal of the money in the Royal Foundation does come from the Royals.  Private foundations are often the way very wealthy people make donations.  I happen to know for a fact that the reason many wealthy individuals set up foundations is to facilitate their personal donations and for tax purposes. The Royal Foundation would be similar to Archwell. If we can use Archewell as an example of Megan and Harry's charitable contributions to the world, then the Royal Foundation needs to be viewed accordingly.  

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, viii said:

I have to feel for William in this situation. It's a bit of a no win situation. He's incredibly privileged with (rumored) four homes, so a lot of people aren't going to take him seriously when it comes to discussing homelessness. However, his heart appears to be in the right place and he's doing the best he can. It's better than doing nothing but it's never going to be enough to satisfy everyone. And I say this as someone who doesn't particularly like William. 

No, William is not providing funds. The Royal Foundation is funded by rich aristocrats.

I'm re-reading The Queen and I. That's the book about a republican government taking over England. The Queen and her family are forced to go live in a council house and expect to get a job and contribute to society. They end up benefiting from their experience, and even enjoying it--especially her corgi, who roams the street with a pack of local dogs and is free to mate with whom he pleases.

Most importantly, though, the royal's homes, vast jewels, boats, trains and castles are all turned over to the government for the public good. Imagine what good that could do. Imagine how much good William could do if he donated even 2% of his vast wealth to the homelessness problem. I know that there are many things the royals cannot sell, but William is a billionaire in his own right, and could do far more good than he is doing.

52 minutes ago, treehugger said:

Actually, I would be willing to bet that a good deal of the money in the Royal Foundation does come from the Royals.  Private foundations are often the way very wealthy people make donations.  I happen to know for a fact that the reason many wealthy individuals set up foundations is to facilitate their personal donations and for tax purposes. The Royal Foundation would be similar to Archwell. If we can use Archewell as an example of Megan and Harry's charitable contributions to the world, then the Royal Foundation needs to be viewed accordingly.  

You might "bet" that, but there is no evidence of it.

The Queen rarely made donations of her own money to any charity.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2022/03/queen-private-donation-to-ukraines-refugees

It was not clear if Queen Elizabeth II, with a net worth of $500 million, according to Forbes, donated her own money to charities.

https://www.nonprofitpro.com/post/the-philanthropy-of-queen-elizabeth-ii/

I think William is OK. I don't hate him or like him. I do think that someone who was born with every conceivable monetary privilege could have done more to help others. This latest initiative is unimpressive unless he donates some of his own money. And he is a climate hypocrite, like all the royals (including Harry.) 

I have read one of the Royal Foundation's annual reviews. There weren't any donations from the royal family for that year. In fact, the Royal family asked to be reimbursed for various expenses they incurred while doing events for the Royal Foundation. For example, if William traveled somewhere, the Royal Foundation reimbursed him.

So the royal family actually GETS money from the Royal Foundation.

There’s no need to guess, the Royal Foundation’s financial statements are public - here’s the most recent report I could locate online https://royalfoundation.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/TRF-2020-Trustees-annual-report-and-accounts-signed41.pdf

No way to tell who’s donating, but the fact that they spent approx. £1 mil. on fundraising hints very strongly that much like his father, William fundraises for his causes by associating w/ wealthy donors at social events organized for that purpose.

To put the £3 million the foundation has pledged against homelessness in perspective, it’s less than the foundation spends on fundraising & administrating the foundation (from 2020 report linked above - fundraising costs about £1 mil., staff £2.2 mil., support costs £1.4 mil. = £4.6 million.)

The £3 mil. of foundation money William is spending stands in contrast to the renovation costs of 2 of the couple’s 3 residences. Kensington palace apt. 1A had cost £4.5 mil of taxpayer funds by 2014ish & another £1 mil. a few years later, Anmer hall at Sandringham cost £1.5 million to renovate.  https://uk.style.yahoo.com/prince-william-kate-windsor-move-kensington-palace-153609273.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY2VsZWJpdGNoeS5jb20v&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIZKWWY4XJ3Nz1wqzQjIPjQyinwxI1EvsbE-G_-Ow88fkuDGIciBTGPLgwz8_y7EUwzfIXpGZ0Y1XYGGlnw3JPgv0rc4m6W0z1Fvg_PQ4dbw6N6FVffV0aE002XjJjwNuK1g_2VZBusYBUOZeFHtXVq6AJK0Je0TUt7DuZyH0gWh We don’t know how much was spent on the recent Windsor residence, Adelaide cottage, yet. 
Knowing all of this I was a bit surprised that William chose to focus on homelessness, it struck me as particularly tone deaf and elitist, but I’m not British, & perhaps there’s a rational explanation for why it’s ok for a couple to use their celebrity status as ‘royalty’ to urge others to donate to a cause while living such an extravagant lifestyle 🤷‍♀️.

I would have been more impressed if the couple had donated that £3 mil. from their personal assets - like their income from the Duchy of Cornwall which they just inherited - the Duchy made £24 million last year. https://duchyofcornwall.org/news/the-duchy-of-cornwall-publishes-integrated-annual-report-2023/.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

It still doesn't tell us though whether or not it is royals donating.  I maintain that they do largely donate to their own foundation, and that it is set up in such a way (as most foundations are), that you wouldn't know who donates how much precisely for that reason.  

Overhead costs and discussions is a whole different thing, and in general, the wealthy do an abysmal job of actually supporting the common man with their charities.  This is an interesting article: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/08/how-philanthropy-benefits-the-super-rich

I'm not particularly impressed by any of the Royals and their charities (this includes Archewell). While they excel at bringing awareness, they could do more all things considered. 

I do have a feeling that the PPOW do more private donations than we will ever know of, but I think the Foundation is where most of it goes through. Nonetheless, I am not here to argue on their behalf, like I said, they could do so much more.  But, it is just wrong to say that they do not donate.  How much, and how much they should can be up for debate, but I just needed to clarify for a certain someone (and I don't know why I bother) that donations were made.  

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 1

I’m curious how much of people’s views of charity is cultural. Is it more common in the US for wealthy people to make big, public donations? Because I’m Canadian but in my experience, the more money you have, the less likely you are to talk about it, and the bigger the donations, the more anonymous the doner.  I wonder if that would be more similar to Britain? I actually have no idea.  All the big public donations that I can think of tend to be from foundations or legacy donations. Large private donations tended to be kept anonymous. 
And lest anyone thinks this all sounds weird, I was a missionary kid and my husband is currently heavily involved in both our church (Anglican) and a homeless shelter in our city. Donations and charity culture have been a part of my life since childhood. I find it fascinating. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, treehugger said:

I’m curious how much of people’s views of charity is cultural. Is it more common in the US for wealthy people to make big, public donations? Because I’m Canadian but in my experience, the more money you have, the less likely you are to talk about it, and the bigger the donations, the more anonymous the doner.  I wonder if that would be more similar to Britain? I actually have no idea.  All the big public donations that I can think of tend to be from foundations or legacy donations. Large private donations tended to be kept anonymous. 
And lest anyone thinks this all sounds weird, I was a missionary kid and my husband is currently heavily involved in both our church (Anglican) and a homeless shelter in our city. Donations and charity culture have been a part of my life since childhood. I find it fascinating. 

Can‘t speak for the UK but it‘s mostly like that here in Germany. Talking about your own donation is considered bragging, especially about a high amount. I only ever let people know about a donation if I made it in their name as a present which quite a few of my friends have requested for their birthdays lately. If they can‘t think of something they really want, they ask me to donate. Some pick a cause, some let me pick. I then usually make them a card that has the amount on it but that‘s never 3 million (in whatever currency). 😉

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, treehugger said:

It still doesn't tell us though whether or not it is royals donating.  I maintain that they do largely donate to their own foundation, and that it is set up in such a way (as most foundations are), that you wouldn't know who donates how much precisely for that reason.  

They donate anonymously, you say? Sure, that sounds like them--the people who bring photographers when they visit a food bank. 

It's all speculation. If you're a Trump fan, you could hypothesize that Trump donates to the Royal Foundation.

It's fact, though, that they TAKE money from the Royal Foundation, for reimbursement. They could've said, "Oh, I'll cover that trip to Yorkshire to open the hospital." But no, they seek reimbursement.

On 6/29/2023 at 6:41 AM, tabitha2 said:

Well… Will and Kate just need to open up all those dozens of castles  they own and let all the homeless people stay in them!1!  

This makes a lot of sense. Why aren't they doing this, or something comparable?

It would be more practical than taking 10 helicopter rides in 2 days, to promote his new initiative.

Edited by Jackie3

I do sometimes think about this. It’s complicated. Because let’s face it, of course a few can donate half their money (probably didn’t include fixed assets….) and are still richer than anyone else. That’s like me leaving 1cent  to just round up. Most people choose contribute so it doesn’t hurt them. I have yet to see the person giving away their money only to live on rice and beans for a week. We just don’t threaten our own lifestyle. It’s the same with rich people. Their lifestyle is just different. Do you need 4 homes? I would argue no. But then someone from a different situation than mine could probably ask me similar questions and come to similar answers. Do we really need two cars? Do we really need to use the washing machines as often? Do we really need to buy fruit and veg outside of the season? Someone else will quickly find that we could do life as we are well off enough. I also do think the privileged should try to elevate others as well. On the other hand, I definitely enjoy some privileges through no influence of my own. Why should I do something about something I had nothing to do with?

And in some cases charities help to ease the burden, but they are not able to erase the problem. They are in no position to do so. No matter how much money they get. So it will always be the drop on the hot plate. Not saying they aren’t worth it, but it’s also not about mass change. The old idea of charity is still very much alive. The rich give the poor but everyone stays in their lane apart from a few shining examples.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 7

William could just pay his taxes, and that would bring millions into the economy to help the homeless, the NHS or the schools.

I've worked with homeless children, aged about 6-8. There's nothing funny or ridiculous about the idea that families should be allowed to move into a royal residence. These are children who need homes. Having a room would make their lives immeasurably better. William has rooms he'll never use that stand empty most of the year. Is William and his family more deserving than British children?

22 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Can‘t speak for the UK but it‘s mostly like that here in Germany. Talking about your own donation is considered bragging, especially about a high amount.

The Wales bring photographers to a food bank. You can't get more braggy than that. I highly doubt they are giving massive sums but are too modest to mention it, particularly as their popularity is currently tanking.

The Earthshot prize spent 9 million pounds on "costs" (primarily promoting William's greatness). But prizes? They've spent only 5 million.

And they couldn't spare any money to fly the winners to the awards ceremony. The winners attended by video. Celebrities, however, were flown in.

They also spent 48,000 pounds to fly William and his entourage to Boston.

I mean, the guy just gets in his own way.

18 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I do sometimes think about this. It’s complicated.

It's really not. He has more money than he can possibly spend in 10 lifetimes. He chooses to keep it, rather than spend it on a problem he "cares about." As a result, the homeless sit in the rain in London.

It's simple. He could alleviate their suffering but chooses not to. But he uses the issue to promote his image. But let's criticize the Sussex's!

14 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

particularly as their popularity is currently tanking.

I think you‘re confusing them with the Sussexes.

• Upvote 7

William is being secretive about the money he gets from the state-owned Duchy. He gets about 20 million a year of these public funds per year. Apparently ihe's refusing to share how he spends it. 

The annual figures which were published on Thursday, are usually accompanied by a separate annual report detailing the broad income and expenditure of the Duchy money.

King Charles—who was the former Duke of Cornwall—released his household’s financial review on Thursday. However, Prince William has opted not to. 

Edited by Jackie3

On 7/1/2023 at 3:05 PM, prayawaythefundie said:

I think you‘re confusing them with the Sussexes.

And wow has it tanked!

• Upvote 4

Dear God,

Please explain to the troll that the whole point of the NHS is that it doesn't matter who uses it or how often. It's there for everyone, without limits. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF IT. :smiley-signs131:

Also, please ask her if she has any kind of job or hobby aside from trolling here. Just curious.

Sorry for not having been in touch lately, I appreciate your attention to the above matters.

PS: Excellent job on the sunset last night. I liked the purple streak, that was class.

Edited by Coconut Flan
Removed signature.
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 6

3 hours ago, IrishCarrie said:

Dear God,

Please explain to the troll that the whole point of the NHS is that it doesn't matter who uses it or how often. It's there for everyone, without limits. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF IT. :smiley-signs131:

Also, please ask her if she has any kind of job or hobby aside from trolling here. Just curious.

Sorry for not having been in touch lately, I appreciate your attention to the above matters.

PS: Excellent job on the sunset last night. I liked the purple streak, that was class.

Well, that makes sense. I've never used a food bank but could certainly attend a party in support of them.

With that said, the NHS has it's financial problems, from what I've read. If Charles did something simple like pay inheritance tax, I wonder how many nurses/junior doctors/MRI machines could be purchased with that money? How much suffering could be alleviated?

As an American, I am incredibly jealous of your system. It's nice the way you have the NHS but can choose to go private if you can afford it. It seems the best of both worlds. (At least that's how it's been described to me)

I've often thought that our system really stifles innovation. If they didn't have to worry about health insurance, how many people would leave their jobs and do freelance work, while creating/inventing/writing/building in their garage? 

Edited by Jackie3

4 hours ago, IrishCarrie said:

Please explain to the troll that the whole point of the NHS is that it doesn't matter who uses it or how often. It's there for everyone, without limits. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF IT. 

If it came out that the BRF were using the NHS, certain people would criticise them for that as well, for taking up space and services that people who can't pay for private treatment could be using.

Edited by rosamundi
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

6 hours ago, IrishCarrie said:

Please explain to the troll that the whole point of the NHS is that it doesn't matter who uses it or how often. It's there for everyone, without limits. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF IT.

I doubt that any explaining or prayer-closet-recommended troll-searching will help since, by definition, a troll's intention is to annoy vs. understand.

If the mods can't or won't remove the problem then I continue to believe that ignoring it (as much as possible) is the best approach; i.e., don't provide any response whatsoever.  Communication vacuum.  If the troll gets a vote or a written response it knows that it's being read.  If it doesn't, it can't be sure that everyone isn't blowing by it.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic