IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 10: Living in Their Own Instagram Sitcom

nelliebelle1197

16 minutes ago, 0 kids n not countin said:

Hmm, it seems from Carlin's Instagram stories and photos that see through/super sheer dresses and skirts are now also considered "modest" and okay for the Bates females to wear without slips? 🤔 😅🙄

Am I the only "old person" who still wears slips? I'm 50.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

I remember my mom making me wear slips a few times when I was a kid. I remember hating them. I also hated pantyhose. It’s no wonder I hated dressing up. I just preferred pants and t shirts. I still do prefer the comfy stuff. Nowadays if I had to wear a dress, I would only buy one that didn’t need a slip. 

• I Agree 7

OMG Pantyhose. Does anyone wear those, ever? I will occasionally wear tights in the winter or in snow country.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

My mom used to make me wear slips. I had a drawer full of child sized ones. I don't think I've worn one since the mid 90s. My mom wore them all the time too. I remember she had full and half slips in her drawer.

I very occasionally wear pantyhose, but only in the winter and if it is somewhere leggings under a dress isn't appropriate. I hate them. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Slips are also on my no go list. I love being old…very low expectations for myself. Bras are getting closer to the no go list too.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

Am I the only "old person" who still wears slips? I'm 50.

I'm several years older than you and I wear slips.😉

• Thank You 1

My mother made me wear slips also. Hated them. Haven’t owned once since the 90s. Back when I was making a lot of my clothes, I usually got around them by lining the skirts, even of the pattern didn’t call for lining. 

I still own a couple pairs of pantyhose, but I haven’t worn them in several years. They’re an invention of the devil. How well I remember taking a new pair out of the plastic egg, putting them on, and promptly getting a run. Whoever came up with the concept of jersey dresses over leggings was a genius. I hope that style never goes out of fashion. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Well, I wear slips depending on the dress or skirt, but like JermajestyDuggar my preference would be a dress or skirt thick enough that a slip wouldn't be necessary.   

I believe the dress Carlin is wearing in her Instagram story is sold in their boutique, so much for selling modest clothing. Well, perhaps on their website it's modeled with a slip underneath, haven't checked.

can someone please screen shot a pic for those without Social media please?

I hate that my phone is broken and I can not log in because all my passwords etc are on my phone 

I hate that my phone has become my central life item lol 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I wear Spandx (SP)camisoles and thin biker/board shorts under anything that might require a slip. Actual pantyhose? Ive not worn a pair of those in decades. Tights in winter, yes, but no pantyhose -

• Upvote 3

I was going through my clothes and found two pairs of unopened pantyhose. I would wear them/tights when I lived in the north (US), mostly for super formal, outdoor settings, like funerals. Now that I live in FL, do I need them? Should I donate them? HOW DO I ADULT!?!

Other things on "now that i'm an 'adult'...".... how important is fabric softener really???

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Other things on "now that i'm an 'adult'...".... how important is fabric softener really???

I have very sensitive skin and all kind of allergy issues, so I try to avoid as many chemical products touching my skin as possible. I bought a set of wool dryer balls and never looked back. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

My mom still wears knee highs! If she’s wearing dress pants and dressy shoes, she wears her knee highs. She would wear them to work all the time because she preferred dress pants for work over dresses and skirts. I swear she had a zillion knee highs in her drawer growing up. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My mom still wears knee highs! If she’s wearing dress pants and dressy shoes, she wears her knee highs. She would wear them to work all the time because she preferred dress pants for work over dresses and skirts. I swear she had a zillion knee highs in her drawer growing up. 

*Shudder* if there’s anything less comfortable than pantyhose, it’s knee-high nylons. They don’t even fulfill the primary function of a sock, keeping your feet warm. When we cleaned out my late aunt’s senior living unit, she had about a million knee highs (plus a lot of plastic rain bonnets). 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I wear pantyhose and a slip only when absolutely necessary. There is a very nice lingerie shop in my hometown where they do private consultations. So, if I’m wearing a dress that has thinner fabric and I’m worried about things that I don’t want shown peeking out, it’s very easy to take the dress in and have them put you in the right undergarments. Only one time have they put me in a slip, and I was grateful for it. For some reason the Las Vegas sunlight really just shone through the sheer-ish fabric of my bridesmaids dress and I was grateful for a slip. I think they’ve only recommended pantyhose once or twice (one time the way a dress was cut, even my shape wear was giving me lines, so control top pantyhose it was!) The good news about where I go is that the stuff is kind of expensive but they let you buy in neutral colors, so eventually you end up with nice underthings that will go with most semi-formal/formal dresses. 

Also: bike shorts under a sundress that match the sundress are a go to for me. I’m quite clumsy and it’s how I wear dresses without the fear of everything  being shown to the world if I fall. 

Edited by SunnySide
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

43 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

I have very sensitive skin and all kind of allergy issues, so I try to avoid as many chemical products touching my skin as possible. I bought a set of wool dryer balls and never looked back. 

Same here!! Love them. And no more finding dryer sheets randomly stuck to something.

And as for slips, probably stopped wearing them in late 90s. I just don't buy too-thin skirts. [I buy most of my clothes used/or at least "aftermarket" which helps me to buy higher quality stuff and avoid cheap "fast fashion"]

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, postscript said:

*Shudder* if there’s anything less comfortable than pantyhose, it’s knee-high nylons. They don’t even fulfill the primary function of a sock, keeping your feet warm. When we cleaned out my late aunt’s senior living unit, she had about a million knee highs (plus a lot of plastic rain bonnets). 

My great grandma wore her plastic rain bonnets all the time. Personally I just prefer an umbrella to avoid getting my hair wet. 

• Upvote 1

I wear underskirts a lot (and I'm not old, at least I don't I am).

I have a bunch of unlined skirts that would cling to my tights or pantyhose (yes, I wear those too) if I didn't wear an underskirt.

I've only worn a slip a couple of times in my life but if I had one that fit well, I might wear that instead of an underskirt as I think that would be more comfortable (one less waistband to worry about).

To everyone in the skirt/dress + leggings faction: what do you do wear on your feet? Just sandals? Socks and sneakers? Something different?

If I try that look I never know what to do. It's either sandals (which means cold feet) or socks and sneakers (which look strange and don't go with the skirt/dress). Any tips/suggestions (for someone who always has cold feet)?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Paperplate said:

I have a bunch of unlined skirts that would cling to my tights or pantyhose (yes, I wear those too) if I didn't wear an underskirt.

I've only worn a slip a couple of times in my life but if I had one that fit well, I might wear that instead of an underskirt as I think that would be more comfortable (one less waistband to worry about).

To everyone in the skirt/dress + leggings faction: what do you do wear on your feet? Just sandals? Socks and sneakers? Something different?

If I try that look I never know what to do. It's either sandals (which means cold feet) or socks and sneakers (which look strange and don't go with the skirt/dress). Any tips/suggestions (for someone who always has cold feet)?

At the moment, I can only wear gym shoes for medical reasons. Before that, I wore a dress/leggings combo with ballet flats, hiking boots, regular boots, sandals - you name it. At one point, I would have considered anything other than ballet flats or boots hideously unfashionable, but I’m past caring at this stage of my life. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I was going through my clothes and found two pairs of unopened pantyhose. I would wear them/tights when I lived in the north (US), mostly for super formal, outdoor settings, like funerals. Now that I live in FL, do I need them? Should I donate them? HOW DO I ADULT!?!

I found that fabric softener also was harsh on clothing; softening to the point that the clothes didn’t last as long. 

• Thank You 1

24 minutes ago, Paperplate said:

I'm a gym goer so my daily attire is mostly athleisure, even to work. As in I use workout leggings as pants. Mine are thick enough that my undergarments won't show, so I pair them with flowy blouse, short flowy dresses, or shirts partially tucked in. Any shoes goes, but mostly sneakers and socks. But for work I pick something less bulky like Nike Vapormax. With ballet flats or more formal ladylike shoes, I use socks that only covers the perimeter of your feet (so at least my toes are covered) in the colour as close as possible to my skintone. So in the case they're peeking through, they won't be as obvious. 

1 hour ago, Paperplate said:

Platform shoes (closed toed Mary Janes in cooler weather) or higher heeled clogs/shoes. Same as I might wear with Yoga pants, depending on the length and cut (Flair/bootcut vs not). I’m short so I like the added height and not having to hem stuff. 

• Upvote 1

Carlin had a debate with Evan about peanuts. Apparently she ate her peanuts whole. Shells and all. I never heard anyone did that and now I'm confused.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

3 minutes ago, arareyeah said:

Carlin had a debate with Evan about peanuts. Apparently she ate her peanuts whole. Shells and all. I never heard anyone did that and now I'm confused.

Hahaha I saw that and have never heard of or seen anyone doing that either! The shells are so dry, I don’t imagine how that could be good? Lol. When I saw the story, over 95% of people had voted that Evan was right 😂

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, arareyeah said:

That's nuts (pun intended).

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic