IGNORED

2020 Election Results Part 4: Counting On (And On And On)

GreyhoundFan

Just now, TuringMachine said:

OH MAN. I've been so distracted by the idea of Trump not being president it completely slipped my mind. We're about to have a female vice president!

I thought that earlier today, but we'll have plenty of time for all the good stuff once it's called.

Right now PA has a 0.41% margin.  Another 0.09% and out of mandatory recount territory.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 6

40 minutes ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Hey, I stubbornly maintain my parents had three virgin births with me and my siblings.

I agree with you in the idea of states being inclined to be extra careful in case of legal challenges, and while I'd prefer them be accurate the first time, the delay is killing me. And I think there may be something to the theory of none of them wanting to be first to put Biden over the top and painting a target on themselves.

I don’t think the time taken is the problem, but the lack of clear communication, especially when a state takes a “day off” from counting. I get delays happen, but those need to be better communicated to the public. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, Browneyed Girl said:

Oh God I’m old!  I thought of the TV series and Eve Plumb not the movie and I’m sorry Jan from the movie whoever Jan from the movie was

Me too!  I forgot there were movies until she posted that.

Unpopular opinion:  I do not now, nor have I ever, seen the resemblance between Christine Taylor and Maureen McCormick.

• Upvote 6

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Unpopular opinion:  I do not now, nor have I ever, seen the resemblance between Christine Taylor and Maureen McCormick.

I was about to say I think the resemblance was in the eye of the beholder because of her husband Ben Stiller but I don’t think they were married when she did the movie.  He wasn’t involved with the movie at all they did movies together just not that one.

• Upvote 3

Old? You're not old.

To me, the Brady Bunch (the original series) was that show the little kids liked when I was a teen!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I do!

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Alleghany PA just dumped.  More totals to come in an hour or two.

Military ballots now all finished - not all reported.  9288 total.  Biden 7300, Trump 1875.

I guess calling their fallen losers and suckers didn't help did it? 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 11

How’s this for not old?

@HerNameIsBuffy ??

It’s time to reveal a deep dark secret from my past.  My early early childhood nickname was Buffy.  As in named after the Buffy from Family Affair.  I was blonde as a child and wore my hair in similar pig-tails.  I always ask my mom to do my hair in my Buffy-do and the nickname stuck.

Well until I got to the first grade that is.  The nun that I had for a teacher had a coronary when she was taking attendance andI didn’t respond to my first name. I  said my name is Buffy!!!!!! 

Buffy faded away after that because the nuns would not call me by anything but my Christian name LOL

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 2
  • Love 7

9 minutes ago, Browneyed Girl said:

Oh God I’m old!  I thought of the TV series and Eve Plumb not the movie and I’m sorry Jan from the movie whoever Jan from the movie was

I loved the series as a child and the movies as a young adult.  Jan was my favorite of the girls.

7 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't think there's a tremendous physical resemblance, but she had Maureen's speech patterns and physical mannerisms down pat.

• Upvote 8

I think the last few pages are FJ in a nutshell. In the midst of this frustrating, exhausting and hopeful time when we’re waiting to hear about the eviction of a madman we have a thread drift about The Brady Bunch. I love it.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 5
  • Love 8

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Gee, what a surprise. /s

A chunk of he recount fund donations will go to the campaign debt. Like the billion dollars they raised wasn't enough.

How much of that do you think will somehow get channeled to pay off his massive personal debts?

im ready for this to be over. I get why they’re being cautious but Trump is going to litigate no matter what happens. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 13

A good one from the WaPo's Dana Milbank: "The election is over. Send in the clowns!"

The election is over. Send in the clowns!

Twitter troll Ric Grenell spent his time as President Trump’s ambassador to Germany offending that country and later proved too radioactive to be confirmed as national intelligence director. Now he’s trying to convince Nevadans that they didn’t really vote for former vice president Joe Biden.

“They continue to count illegal votes!” Grenell announced Thursday at a Las Vegas news conference. “It’s giving legal people a sense that the system is corrupt.”

His proof of this affront to “legal people”? A woman who alleges somebody voted in her name. Trouble is, she refused to sign a formal challenge, and her signature matches that of the mystery voter, officials say.

Reporters asked Grenell if he had any real evidence. “We don’t have access to the information,” he said, hastily departing. “We’re not going to take any more questions.”

In Pennsylvania, where Trump was initially leading in the tally, pro-Trump demonstrators massed in Philadelphia, chanting: “STOP THE COUNT!”

In Arizona, where Biden was leading in the tally, pro-Trump demonstrators massed in Phoenix, chanting: “COUNT THE VOTES!”

They chanted this right outside the Maricopa County Elections Department, where officials were, um, counting the votes.

In Georgia, Trump campaign lawyers marched into a Savannah courtroom to challenge 53 ballots that one Republican poll watcher claimed “may have” arrived after the deadline on Election Day. The county lawyer asked the poll watcher if he had any evidence. The poll watcher did not.

“The court finds that there is no evidence that the ballots referenced in the petition were received after 7:00 p.m.,” the judge ruled. Case dismissed.

In Michigan, the Trump campaign went to court to stop the counting because a Republican poll watcher claimed she’d heard from one unnamed election worker that another unnamed election worker had said to backdate late-arriving ballots.

“How is that not hearsay?” asked the judge. “Come on, now.” Case dismissed.

In Arizona, the Trump campaign joined a lawsuit based on a debunked Internet conspiracy theory falsely alleging that Maricopa County had invalidated ballots filled out with Sharpies. County officials point out that the voting-machine manufacturer actually recommends using Sharpies. Trump lawyers said they needed two weeks to build their case. “I don’t think that’s feasible,” the judge said.

Trump did win one ruling, allowing poll watchers to ignore pandemic restrictions and to get up close to vote counters. “Big legal win in Pennsylvania!” Trump proclaimed.

That was probably Trump’s most responsible pronouncement this week.

“Our campaign has been denied access to observe any counting in Detroit,” he said. There were more than 100 poll observers from each party in Detroit, reports NBC News’s Heidi Przybyla, who was there.

“If you count the legal votes, I easily win,” Trump said, attempting to invalidate 64 million legal ballots received before Election Day.

Trump claimed that the yet-to-be-decided states “are run in all cases by Democrats.” Georgia’s governor and secretary of state are Trump-backing Republicans.

Fuming about Pennsylvania, Trump tweeted “The OBSERVERS were not allowed, in any way, shape, or form.” His lawyers admitted in court that they had observers (at least 19, reportedly) in the room.

“STOP THE COUNT!” Trump demanded, apparently unaware that this would have instantly sealed Biden’s victory.

“Votes cannot be cast after the Poles are closed!” Trump tweeted, before taking another Krakow at the spelling.

If anything, the fraud is flowing in the other direction.

Wisconsin Republicans on Thursday “urgently” sought out volunteers to call Pennsylvania Trump supporters and tell them to send in their (now invalid) absentee ballots. The U.S. Postal Service, run by a Trump megadonor, defied a court order and failed to deliver tens of thousands of ballots on time.

And all along, Republican officials who know better have been amplifying the disinformation. “President Trump won this election,” the top House Republican, Kevin McCarthy (Calif.) declared. (Thankfully, he later said he didn’t mean it.)

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham (S.C.), calling Philadelphia elections “crooked as a snake,” said he was open to Republican state legislatures throwing out the votes and awarding electoral votes to Trump. Sen. Ted Cruz (Tex.) expressed interest in a “do-over” election.

Such reckless words have an effect.

In Arizona, armed Trump supporters massed outside elections offices; conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) joined the protest; and members of the extremist group AZ Patriots entered elections offices uninvited, complaining about the “Sharpiegate” conspiracy.

In California, a man who threatened a mass shooting if Biden wins was taken into custody Friday, the Los Angeles Times reported.

And in Philadelphia, two men face firearms charges after police found them outside the vote-counting center Thursday night; they had an AR-16 and 60 rounds of ammunition in their car, festooned with QAnon conspiracy symbols. The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that police had been alerted that the suspects aimed to “straighten things out” with the vote counting.

It’s time for Republicans to “straighten things out” — before this clown show turns dark.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

8 minutes ago, Browneyed Girl said:

How’s this for not old?

@HerNameIsBuffy ??

It’s time to reveal a deep dark secret from my past.  My early early childhood nickname was Buffy.  As in named after the Buffy from Family Affair.  I was blonde as a child and wore my hair in similar pig-tails.  I always ask my mom to do my hair in my Buffy-do and the nickname stuck.

Well until I got to the first grade that is.  The nun that I had for a teacher had a coronary when she was taking attendance andI didn’t respond to my first name. I  said my name is Buffy!!!!!! 

Buffy faded away after that because the nuns would not call me by anything but my Christian name LOL

In the pilot episode French called her a little clot and she reared up her badass adoreable self and said, "My NAME is Buffy!"  Hence my username :) 

People think it's for the slayer, but they are wrong.  I wrote a post about how season 1 FA Buffy Davis was a kick ass little feminist ages ago but dammed if I can recall where.)

Anyway - I love you.  Us Buffy's gotta stick together.

(Weird fact - this week I was at work typing up an FJ post and new employee walked into my office and I said, "Hi, I'm Bu-real name super fast as I realized I almost introduced myself as Buffy.  Sometimes FJ and real life don't mix.)

9 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

How much of that do you think will somehow get channeled to pay off his massive personal debts?

im ready for this to be over. I get why they’re being cautious but Trump is going to litigate no matter what happens. 

All of it.  He doesn't pay his vendors.  

• Upvote 17
  • Love 4

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

(Weird fact - this week I was at work typing up an FJ post and new employee walked into my office and I said, "Hi, I'm Bu-real name super fast as I realized I almost introduced myself as Buffy.  Sometimes FJ and real life don't mix.)

Kind of like how I hit 'send' on an email and then realize in horror that I should have checked for typos first because I don't have an hour to edit it like I do on fj!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 11

PA has only one red county with mail in ballots, the other two are Allegheny and Philadelphia where Biden is running 80%+. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 7

Well, I guess it's time for me to say good night to my new boyfriend, Nate Silver (since I've spent more time with him this week than my husband) and head to bed.

See you all tomorrow for Day 5 of freaking election week. I'm going to see if I can find The Brady Bunch Movie for free to stream while I attempt to fall asleep. "Put on your Sunday best kids, we're going to Sears!"

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

In the pilot episode French called her a little clot and she reared up her badass adoreable self and said, "My NAME is Buffy!"  Hence my username :) 

People think it's for the slayer, but they are wrong.  I wrote a post about how season 1 FA Buffy Davis was a kick ass little feminist ages ago but dammed if I can recall where.)

Anyway - I love you.  Us Buffy's gotta stick together 

Oh that is so cool.  I love you too!
Though am a huge BTVS fan I love that your Buffy and my Buffy are the same!

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, DaisyD said:

I guess calling their fallen losers and suckers didn't help did it? 

My son is in the military and although he is careful about what he says, he did vote for Biden and I get the feeling most of his Marine friends did too.  

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 16

Is Biden still speaking tonight?  I’m flipping in on Fox News every once in a while just to watch them implode.  There’s a crawl across the bottom about his speech but I don’t think that they are the most source 

Never mind I just switched back to CNN and got my answer...

Edited by Browneyed Girl
  • Upvote 5

I slept all day only to find it still wasn't over.  Then I spent over an hour catching up.  Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to project a winner at this point but, as some have suggested, perhaps the states are being super-extra careful, are worried about more demented bullying coming to their states, or the networks are simply too in love with their ratings. 

I imagine that Trump is wildly calling the people who he thinks will help him only to find most with better things to do or not answering at all.  Dealing with him right now must feel like breathing around a garbage dump during a heat wave.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

6 minutes ago, GeraldineGrainger said:

See you all tomorrow for Day 5 of freaking election week. I'm going to see if I can find The Brady Bunch Movie for free to stream while I attempt to fall asleep. "Put on your Sunday best kids, we're going to Sears!"

That line pops into my head way more often than it should ?

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

In case anyone else was also wondering why PA has so many (100K)  provisional ballots:

Per CNN there are a lot because when they vote in the primaries in PA they can check a box to have a mail in ballot sent, and apparently a lot of people do that but decide to vote in person anyway. When they do that what they cast at the polls is provisional until they can verify that the person only voted once.

A little over 1 million voters came out for the Republican primary and some think a lot of provisional ballots will go to Trump because they'd have requested them in June and decided to vote in person when he warned against mail in voting.

New Allegheny data dump - Total 3212.  76% for Biden.

They are stopping for the night, they think they'll start again in the morning.  Lot of preprocessing to do and numbers will come later tomorrow.  Admin don't know how many ballots are left atm.

Biden's lead is now 29K total.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 12

Confession: My mom called me Buffy as a kid. I'm not sure where it came from (she also called my cousins Muffy and Biff).

Sooo... longest election ever. Fortunately(?) I'm having surgery on Monday, so for at least an hour, I will be blissfully unaware! I've never spent so much time thinking about NV or PA in my life before.

I do find it a bit weird they aren't calling NC for Trump.

Edited by AmericanRose
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 5

Forget his kids there's so many ways to tell Trump he lost

A singing telegram

Sky writer

Any of the people he's fired on the Appentice

Dr. Faunci- I'm not fired! Your fired! 

John Oliver-he'll probably have a very awesome song to go with it

Oprah-Your Fired! Your Fired! Your all fired!

Hillary Clinton 

And there's always Kuzco from the Emperor's New Groove.

Kuzco: Oh, and by the way, you're fired.

Yzma: Fired? W-W-What do you mean, "fired"?

Kuzco: Um, how else can I say it? "You're being let go." "Your department's being downsized." "You're part of an outplacement." "We're going in a different direction." "We're not picking up your option." Take your pick. I got more.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 17

• Destiny unpinned and locked this topic