IGNORED

Jinjer 53: Telework, Teleschool, or Telenothing?

Coconut Flan

22 minutes ago, Bobology said:

The 'physics' comment by Jinger about her coffee spilling in the car seemed like a set-up to me, either by the film crew or Jeremy -- an attempt to make it obvious Jinger had some science education and could school Jeremy. I never bought it. Likewise, I believe Jinger's vapidness is controlled by her desire to mold into whatever she thinks Jeremy is wanting from her at the moment. It's hard to tell because we see only a blink of their lives, that happens while they know they are being recorded, and in situations often set up by the film crew or even themselves. Jinger's life could be exhausting, always trying to predict what Jeremy wants and approves from her all the time (if this is even true... just my guess.) 

I was surprised in the recently shown clip of when they were leaving TX for AR (GMM’s funeral), and Jinger was placing FV in the car, Jeremy walked up and asked her a ? Jinger rather curtly told him to get in the car and start it. Nothing sweet about her tone then, and she was clearly the one calling the shots.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I was surprised in the recently shown clip of when they were leaving TX for AR (GMM’s funeral), and Jinger was placing FV in the car, Jeremy walked up and asked her a ? Jinger rather curtly told him to get in the car and start it. Nothing sweet about her tone then, and she was clearly the one calling the shots.

Interesting. It may be for now Jinger is happy with her simpering wife image ( and knows her fan base loves it) and plays along for the endorsements. 
She is however JB’s daughter so I wouldn’t be surprised if she occasionally reminds Jeremy that if it wasn’t for her he’d still be living in his flat in Texas, preaching to a tiny congregation and there’d be no guest speaking opportunities, bow tie endorsements or indeed anybody listening to what he says. 

• Upvote 20

Many people aren't just one thing 100% of the time. I have known many fundie-lite, submission preaching women  who were strong-willed enough to call the  shots from time to time. It's almost like they mold it to suit their needs and be what they want it to be. There are clearly times where we have seen Michelle calling the shots while still doing simpering headship poses with Jim Bob. 

Edited by Pecansforeveryone
Add a word
  • Upvote 19

7 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

There are clearly times where we have seen Michelle calling the shots while still doing simpering headship poses with Jim Bob. 

I have always been of the opinion that Michelle wears the pants in that relationship every way except literally.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 14
  • Love 1

Michelle isn't the only one in fundie-land that I think wears the pants in the relationship. I have personally known a few fundie-lite women who stood up to their husbands when they felt like it, and had clear limits on how far the headship could go. They took their complementarian  lemons and made complementarian lemonade. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

Most of the fundy lite women I knew were very much in charge of things. Anyone remember the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding where the mother says her husband is the head of the household but she is the neck, I make him turn where I want, you just have to make him think it is his idea, to get what you want. I think there is a lot of that going on in many fundy/fundy lite circles. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 11

Meh maybe in little decisions or in lite complementarianism. I’m pretty sure in extreme fundies and the men are in charge. 

I don’t think Jinger saying something in a less than sweet voice indicates anything other than that she’s human. I’d bet she apologized for it later on if my experience in fundieland serves me well.

• Upvote 7

On JereMe's IG story this morning- he's got a boner for a

" Brooks Brothers" mask.  I have no doubts that the little lady is furiously looking for one to buy online. ? #insufferable

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Exposedknees said:

On JereMe's IG story this morning- he's got a boner for a

" Brooks Brothers" mask.  I have no doubts that the little lady is furiously looking for one to buy online. ? #insufferable

Or trying to grift a free one... 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

37 minutes ago, CorruptionInc. said:

Jinger and Jana have been shopping  manufactured in a scene for the show.

Jinger and Jana go shopping

The judgement from her family members in their talking heads about Jinger's $300 jacket makes me angry. 

I'm no JinJer fan, but god, for once let Jinger have something nice that she picked out herself. Sure, it's a little extravagant (especially considering the mystery of the Vuolo's finances), but she should be allowed to buy a jacket without the shocked reactions and passive aggressive smirks of her family. 

I wonder if this has something to do with her dull personality. Years of the judgey comments and shaming have got to wear a person down over time. 

Jana seemed irritated about the bland outfits Jinger "made" her try on, she's really coming across increasingly unlikeable on this show. 

• Upvote 18

On 7/10/2020 at 11:56 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Most of the fundy lite women I knew were very much in charge of things. Anyone remember the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding where the mother says her husband is the head of the household but she is the neck, I make him turn where I want, you just have to make him think it is his idea, to get what you want. I think there is a lot of that going on in many fundy/fundy lite circles. 

This is especially true in the South.  A lot of southern women may claim the man is the head of the family, but they actually rule the roost.  My own southern family is highly matriarchal (but not authoritarian)  in a lot of ways.

• Upvote 10

Just now, RosyDaisy said:

This is especially true in the South.  A lot of southern women may claim the man is the head of the family, but they actually rule the roost.  My own southern family is highly matriarchal (but not authoritarian)  in a lot of ways.

It's manipulation and women were/are in some cultures encouraged to manipulate men while appearing meek. Look at any episode of "I Love Lucy." IT's pretty insulting to me also.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, patsymae said:

It's manipulation and women were/are in some cultures encouraged to manipulate men while appearing meek. Look at any episode of "I Love Lucy." IT's pretty insulting to me also.

I saw so much of this when I was fundy. I was shocked because they have all the right words but they treated their husbands like crap. The ones who were living the “true” lifestyle were being abused by their husbands, imo.

• Upvote 8

Just now, HideousGreenShirt said:

The judgement from her family members in their talking heads about Jinger's $300 jacket makes me angry. 

I'm no JinJer fan, but god, for once let Jinger have something nice that she picked out herself. Sure, it's a little extravagant (especially considering the mystery of the Vuolo's finances), but she should be allowed to buy a jacket without the shocked reactions and passive aggressive smirks of her family. 

I wonder if this has something to do with her dull personality. Years of the judgey comments and shaming have got to wear a person down over time. 

Jana seemed irritated about the bland outfits Jinger "made" her try on, she's really coming across increasingly unlikeable on this show. 

Just now, HideousGreenShirt said:

Well, what was the point of Jinger buying a $300 jacket? If it were just something nice she picked out, fine, but this a woman and a family (both by birth and by marriage) desperately trying to find a "brand,"

Not family of birth brand-- buy used and save the difference

Not sisters' frumalicous brands: Look at me in my ugly modest dress and buy one

Not Christian pastor-wife brand--I have this and you don't

Not LA celeb brand-- $300 for a jacket you may have well as gone to GoodWill

Husband: Thinks Brooks Brothers still upscale even before it went bankrupt

Jinger is just being the same old dumb bitch she always was, just with more access to clothes and coffee.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5
  • WTF 4

Meh, the whole "men are the head, women are the neck" to me usually feels like a way of obfuscating the reality of the patriarchy and misogyny, like a way of saying that men aren't really bad but are only manipulated or tricked into badness by some conniving women behind the scenes. That isn't to say that there are no marriages/relationships where the women is the more dominant one in the relationship, but when it gets applied to a general culture like fundamentalism, to me it makes it seem like fundie men would be just fine if fundie women weren't pulling the strings. I know that women can carve out more agency for themselves in stifling cultures, but the argument that that means they're truly in power just doesn't sit right with me. Because if they were truly in power, then they could just wield that power out in the open, without having to be sneaky about it. The fact that virtually their only avenue to power is through some kind of back door or through behind-the-scenes manipulation just emphasizes the fact that their agency is still contingent on whatever man is at the head. They may be the neck, but the man still has the brain and the mouth and the eyes.

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Anna Bolinas said:

Meh, the whole "men are the head, women are the neck" to me usually feels like a way of obfuscating the reality of the patriarchy and misogyny, like a way of saying that men aren't really bad but are only manipulated or tricked into badness by some conniving women behind the scenes. That isn't to say that there are no marriages/relationships where the women is the more dominant one in the relationship, but when it gets applied to a general culture like fundamentalism, to me it makes it seem like fundie men would be just fine if fundie women weren't pulling the strings. I know that women can carve out more agency for themselves in stifling cultures, but the argument that that means they're truly in power just doesn't sit right with me. Because if they were truly in power, then they could just wield that power out in the open, without having to be sneaky about it. The fact that virtually their only avenue to power is through some kind of back door or through behind-the-scenes manipulation just emphasizes the fact that their agency is still contingent on whatever man is at the head. They may be the neck, but the man still has the brain and the mouth and the eyes.

Yup, I feel the same.  I wonder if part of the reason women can have a reputation for being manipulative while men are 'straight-forward' is because for so long the only way women could have their ideas valued and put into action was if they pretended it wasn't coming from them.  If the only way you are able to influence your life and the way you live is to pretend that you aren't the one making the changes it doesn't leave many other options.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 9

14 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

I agree. Honestly it's nobody's business what she spends her money on (wherever that money is coming from) and after a lifetime of wearing handmade frumpers, then hand-me-down thrift store finds and having no ability to express herself through her style, I say you do you Jinger. Just like I'm down for Jill finding her own style. Is it the most practical purchase, no, but if she can do it. Do it. I've spend to much money on shoes in the past but you know what, those shoes make me feel good. So Jim Bob and company can eff right off. 

Edited by Sullie06
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

I'm really bored of TLC doing the same down-home aw-shucks-don't-ask-me talking heads format they've been falling back on since X-teen KAC. Where they ask everyone to guess what a duvet is, or how much a haircut costs. This family have a) travelled the world b) made pots of money and c) have Amazon wishlists, they are very aware of boujie stuff and its price.

If Jinger wants to buy a $300 jacket for the cameras  and she can afford it, I actually doubt any Duggar would find that particularly mindblowing. I'm sure many of the kidults aren't big spenders but nor are they as faithful to 'buy used and save the difference' as JB once was, and they definitely know that jackets can cost $300, and Jinger is the sort of girl to buy one. I doubt they find this shocking on any level at all and it seems a bit weird to 'tattle' to JB&M on their married adult daughter's spending. 

Edited by AprilQuilt
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

16 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

I think the Duggar message is more likely aimed at why pay for the jacket, when you can get it for free via begging-

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 2

Just now, SassyPants said:

I think the Duggar message is more likely aimed at why pay for the jacket, when you can get it for free via begging-

I think it's all just an "unscripted" plot they were given.  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I think the vast majority of the production budget of this show is the Duggars' compensation and the filming itself.  So they spend very little time, effort and $$ coming up with 'plot lines'.  Also, they know there's going to be a baby or new relationship to cover so they just wash, rinse and repeat those stories.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, patsymae said:

Jinger is just being the same old dumb bitch she always was, just with more access to clothes and coffee.

Fyi, I agreed with you up till here. This is why I downvoted. 

Edited by Giraffe
Bolding
  • Upvote 16

I got this message today from the California Breastfeeding Coalition:  a second pregnant woman in the state died due to COVID-19.  The LA County health department reported that of the 52 women who'd contracted COVID and had given birth, there had been 4 stillbirths.  (Is that 7.6 %?)   40 of the infants tested negative for the virus which is a good thing.  

The California Breastfeeding Coalition goes on to recommend that all pregnant women be especially consistent with mask-wearing, hand washing and social/physical distancing of at least 6 feet and that all care providers needed to do the same as they don't know if a woman they come into contact with is pregnant.  Now is not the time to get complacent about COVID.

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 5
  • Sad 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic