IGNORED

Jinjer 53: Telework, Teleschool, or Telenothing?

Coconut Flan

@PennySycamore yes, just under 8%. But too small of a sample to make overall conclusions. Still, I’d be worried if I were expecting.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
fixed formatting on mention
  • Upvote 6

22 hours ago, Giraffe said:

Fyi, I agreed with you up till here. This is why I downvoted. 

Yeah, I got carried away. But lately whenever I see the two of their smug faces I want to smack them. And I never smack.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 4

On 7/14/2020 at 12:42 PM, MathQueen said:

@PennySycamore yes, just under 8%. But too small of a sample to make overall conclusions. Still, I’d be worried if I were expecting.

A friend of mine's daughter had a baby in April, friend was COVID is a hoax, and was mad that her daughter wouldn't let her met her see the baby, except through the front door. She also wasn't getting to see the older child. She said if you won't wear a mask or take extra care to keep from getting sick you can't see your grandkids. Friends husband is diabetic & has a heart condition & they both were like this is BS. Well they FINALLY relented about a month ago and started wearing masks, staying home and after 4 weeks of finally doing the right thing they were allowed to hold their granddaughter this weekend, she's 3 months old now.  Friend finally caved after her daughter let other family members & close friends who had been masking and taking precautions the entire time see the baby. No one got to meet the baby formally for 2 months. . If I had a baby or were pregnant, I'd be locked in my house & not letting anyone near us. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

My husbands grandparents are "snow birds" they reside in NY in the summer months and Florida in the winter. They typically return to NY from Florida around June 1st but due to his Grandmother having a pace maker placed they did not return to NY until early July. They expected us to bring our two children (aged 5 and 7) to see them the night they returned from Florida. As Florida is a hot spot right now we informed them that they needed to quarantine at least 14 days before seeing our children. His Grandmother got mad at us and was throwing major shade our way. We stuck strong both for their safety (they are in their 80s and in poor health) and ours. 

Meanwhile my husbands cousin brings their daughters (age 8 and 3) to the Grandparents home the night they return from Florida and several times over the past few weeks. They also allowed Grandparents to babysit the kids while they went to a wedding a couple weekends ago. Well surprise, surprise, the wedding ended up being a hot spot, both my husbands cousin and her husband got COVID and exposed not only their kids but the 80 year old Grandparents.... but I'm the bad guy for being cautious with my family.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 28

My in-laws live in Iowa and if COVID doesn't settle down by the time I pop my first baby out in January they are not coming out here to visit without a quarantine.  I haven't gotten into it with them because it'll break my mother-in-law's heart but... we'll cross that bridge if we have to and they'll understand.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 4

32 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

My in-laws live in Iowa and if COVID doesn't settle down by the time I pop my first baby out in January they are not coming out here to visit without a quarantine.  I haven't gotten into it with them because it'll break my mother-in-law's heart but... we'll cross that bridge if we have to and they'll understand.

In Iowa and very worried about our lack of leadership here. No mask mandates. Schools opening as usual, some with safety guidelines, others without. HS and college sports trying to go ahead. Correctional facilities and long term care facilities are hard hit. 

We are in the vulnerable population and are trying hard to stay safe.  If I had grandchildren, I'd only see them in pictures and videos. Good for you for doing your best to protect your child.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

So like... when I visit websites looking for recipes, it's not unusual for the title of the webpage to be, "Healthy [whatever I want to bake]"

But... who writes "Healthy Banana Muffins" on an index card? Also, what does that even mean? There's already 12 ingredients... do you have an unhealthy version?

I dunno. That just makes it look made-for-Insta instead of an actual recipe someone would have in their recipe keeper.

Edited by AmericanRose
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, AmericanRose said:

So like... when I visit websites looking for recipes, it's not unusual for the title of the webpage to be, "Healthy [whatever I want to bake]"

But... who writes "Healthy Banana Muffins" on an index card? Also, what does that even mean? There's already 12 ingredients... do you have an unhealthy version?

I dunno. That just makes it look made-for-Insta instead of an actual recipe someone would have in their recipe keeper.

I agree. More like "Homemade Banana Muffins." Then again, we both live in health-conscious Washington and Jinger grew up in Arkansas.

For the index card, I know some families like to create a box of recipe cards that they can pass down to their kids. Maybe that's what Jinger plans on doing for Felicity. I have a few recipe cards that I've received from my grandma. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, AmericanRose said:

I personally would also question whether most (if not all) supposedly healthy banana muffins are actually all that healthy.  That being said, my preferred Banana recipe (not muffins but cupcakes) is this one: https://whatjessicabakednext.com/2015/04/28/banana-cupcakes-with-cream-cheese-frosting/

I particularly like the frosting...

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I know it can also be a bridal shower thing, where everyone brings a recipe card (like the one used for the muffins) that they have written their families favourite recipe on. It’s collated as a gift. It could be a really lovely gift. Especially if you spent time at peoples houses and they gave you the recipes of the things they knew you loved to eat while their. I have to say when I saw the pic. That is where my mind went. 
unfortunately I think that little gift idea may go the way of the wind as people just google recipes now. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I know it can also be a bridal shower thing, where everyone brings a recipe card (like the one used for the muffins) that they have written their families favourite recipe on. It’s collated as a gift. It could be a really lovely gift. Especially if you spent time at peoples houses and they gave you the recipes of the things they knew you loved to eat while their. I have to say when I saw the pic. That is where my mind went. 
unfortunately I think that little gift idea may go the way of the wind as people just google recipes now. 

In terms of googling recipes...in the past, I did this all the time, but now it seems like so many recipe sites crash.all.the.time., or they hid the recipes in between the 11 million ads that pop up, or you have to subscribe to a website, that then spams you 3 times a day with emails. I still use online recipes, put I am very selective. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

In Iowa and very worried about our lack of leadership here. No mask mandates. Schools opening as usual, some with safety guidelines, others without. HS and college sports trying to go ahead. Correctional facilities and long term care facilities are hard hit. 

We are in the vulnerable population and are trying hard to stay safe.  If I had grandchildren, I'd only see them in pictures and videos. Good for you for doing your best to protect your child.

Kimmy is WORTHLESS! I didn't think it was possible to be less effective than Braindead but here we are. I'm still screaming at the idiot dems who put Fred Hubbell against her. Because a middle age white millionaire is SOOO representative of Iowa. ? :censored:

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

+1 to the ads on recipes! I would make my own recipe box, but my handwriting is terrible.

My grandma had a recipe box, so that idea isn't strange to me. It's labeling a recipe as 'healthy'... I promise my grandma and not even my mom indicate such on their hand-written recipes ? It just seems like a Insta-added touch, which makes JinJer seem even more staged. Especially now that their Insta Stories have been overtaken with advertising for 'Hope We Hold'. ?

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, AmericanRose said:

+1 to the ads on recipes! I would make my own recipe box, but my handwriting is terrible.

My grandma had a recipe box, so that idea isn't strange to me. It's labeling a recipe as 'healthy'... I promise my grandma and not even my mom indicate such on their hand-written recipes ? It just seems like a Insta-added touch, which makes JinJer seem even more staged. Especially now that their Insta Stories have been overtaken with advertising for 'Hope We Hold'. ?

One of the things my husband cherishes most is a bunch of recipes his grandma wrote out in the 10 years between when we got married and she died. She was making sure I was feeding her favorite grand baby properly.  I write things out even though I have atrocious handwriting as well, your kids will love it someday. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 7

There were close to 13,000 new COVID cases on July 21 (12,800 ) in California. Keep this in mind when taking about masks. 

Edited by DarkAnts
  • Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

One of the things my husband cherishes most is a bunch of recipes his grandma wrote out in the 10 years between when we got married and she died. She was making sure I was feeding her favorite grand baby properly.  I write things out even though I have atrocious handwriting as well, your kids will love it someday. 

After my grandmother passed away, we decided to scan all her handwritten recipe cards and turned them into books for all her kids/grandkids. That way there was no argument over who got to keep them, but it was also a way to preserve some of them where the ink was starting to fade or the card was tearing. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 20

I use an app called Paprika for online recipes for exactly the reasons described above. The app pulls only the ingredient list and actual recipe steps off a website/blog and then stores it in the app for you. That way you don't have to visit the annoying website ever again or wade through the 3,000 word story on a blog about an enchilada recipe. Definitely recommend Paprika!

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

I mostly skip google for recipes now, and just go to a handful of trusted sites to search for something with the flavor profile or ingredient I want to use. In my very unscientific analysis, I think the quality/success of a recipe is correlated with the user-friendliness of the website.

• Upvote 7

Heck, I still use cookbooks and I always will.  I might look up a recipe on Lidia Bastianich's or Martha Stewart's websites,  but I like my cookbooks so much better.  I made Eunice Shriver's brownie recipe once that I'd found online and it was annoying to have to keep tapping the screen of my iPad to keep it from going dark.  The brownies were delicious, btw.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I use plantoeat.com and I LOVE it.  It's a meal planning website and I add my own recipes and import from pages online to create a database.  I then go to my list o' recipes to decide what sounds good for the week and it generates a grocery list for me.  I've been using it for 3-4 years, it's like $2 per month and we waste so much less food now.  Even better, I got my husband the app and he can start dinner prep if he's home first or go grocery shopping for me.

I'm sure there are plenty of others like it, but it's just so user friendly.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

Once I've tried a recipe that gets the approval I will write it down in one of my two books I keep just for recipies. I have 4 children and the argument over who gets the books started a few years ago lol I'm 42....

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

No kids, but I have more cookbooks than I should admit to. The first time I tried a new recipe, I write the date in the cookbook and if I cook it for my friends, I put their names in the cookbook as well. I also write down some basic reactions, and yes, yuck and that was atrocious have both appeared in my books.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2

I have a recipe file that I keep on my computer (under bookmarks). It’s very easy to save recipes in that format. And like someone above said, I usually get them from trusted , more obscure sites. I can’t stand when you’re cooking a new recipe and the site keeps crashing. 

• Upvote 3

For my eldest daughters birthday a few years ago, I bought her some baking equiment and I wrote out and laminated a few of her favourite recipies and tied them with a ribbon ?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

On 7/24/2020 at 7:12 AM, SassyPants said:

In terms of googling recipes...in the past, I did this all the time, but now it seems like so many recipe sites crash.all.the.time., or they hid the recipes in between the 11 million ads that pop up, or you have to subscribe to a website, that then spams you 3 times a day with emails. I still use online recipes, put I am very selective. 

Haven't had websites crash, but know just what you mean about all the ads.  As for subscribing, use mine:  none.none.com.  Doesn't always work but you can usually assign emails from such a site to go automatically into your spam file.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic