IGNORED

Jinjer 53: Telework, Teleschool, or Telenothing?

Coconut Flan

On 8/5/2020 at 9:26 AM, marianja said:

My New York City elementary school was run by Sister of Charity of Halifax. 

Weirdly, I have relatives who were nuns ftom that order! Not right in Halifax, but in NS. I don't think any of them taught in thr US either. But still, small world!

• Upvote 2

On 8/9/2020 at 6:31 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

All the church members spoke English. That and it was an upstart church it is obvious that "church" in TX wasn't Jeremy's job, it was a prop for TLC or a prop for Jeremy to con a con man into handing over a daughter. 

I was not aware of that. Huh. Now I have something more to think about. Thanks for the info!

He's even grosser to me now, though.

I'm pretty sure Jeremy wound up in Laredo in 2014. So, he was there for around five years and failed to learn the language spoken by a large portion of the population.

• Upvote 9

8 hours ago, marmalade said:

I'm pretty sure Jeremy wound up in Laredo in 2014. So, he was there for around five years and failed to learn the language spoken by a large portion of the population.

Ok, I could understand not be able to full on speak another language, even after 5 years, but not knowing the word for the #11? Did he not interface with the community at all? I live in CA, and we have a large Latino population (although I am no where near the border), and everything here is in Spanish and English. There are Latino operated grocery stories etc. I can’t imagine being right on the border and not knowing many common phrases and terms. It would put you at such a disadvantage. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5

35 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I can’t imagine being right on the border and not knowing many common phrases and terms. It would put you at such a disadvantage. 

Exactly! It blows my mind.

I live in a border town about three hours away from Laredo. Both have HUGE Latin populations, as you can imagine. I can't fathom living in a community with such a large Spanish speaking population and still communicating as poorly as Jeremy did. (Not to mention he lived in San Antonio before.) Google says Laredo is 95% Latin. What's your excuse, Jeremy?

It doesn't mesh well with the image of an uber-intelligent pastor he so desperately wants to portray.

Edited by dolcez
Wording and things
  • Upvote 8

1 minute ago, dolcez said:

Exactly! It blows my mind.

I live in a border town about three hours away from Laredo. Both have HUGE Latin populations, as you can imagine. I can't fathom living in a place with such a large Spanish speaking population and still speak as poorly as Jeremy did. (Not to mention he lived in San Antonio before.) Google says Laredo is 95% Latin. What's your excuse, Jeremy?

It doesn't mesh well with the image of an uber-intelligent pastor he so desperately wants to portray.

Exactly, and that was my initial point. Plus divinity school (is that what it’s called?) is hard. It deals with ideas and obscure concepts that require deep, critical thinking skills. He is going to have seriously buckle down and dig deep to succeed. It’s going to take much more effort than Brooks Brothers (RIP), fancy coffee, $80 haircuts and a new blessing every 2 years.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Exactly, and that was my initial point. Plus divinity school (is that what it’s called?) is hard. It deals with ideas and obscure concepts that require deep, critical thinking skills. He is going to have seriously buckle down and dig deep to succeed. It’s going to take much more effort than Brooks Brothers (RIP), fancy coffee, $80 haircuts and a new blessing every 2 years.

I can’t help feeling Jeremy has struck a deal with his current college - he seems to associate with the staff and they clearly didn’t mind him skipping class to film, do private speaking engagements. Plus they had that beautiful home just waiting for the couple with TV money?? 
Perhaps the college think Jeremy is good PR & will encourage other would be pastors with more money than sense. 
Speculation of course but Jeremy does strike me as a ‘what’s in it for me?’ type. 

• Upvote 17

I absolutely agree there's quid pro quo going on there. Jeremy gets a free house and possibly free education, MacArthur gets a pretty young couple to front his ministry. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

I can do the talk to a store and a restaurant or when I ask for the way in most of the languages for countries I go on holiday. To be fair, if I go to a country where I only go once or twice I will not learn it. But for countries where I have been multiple times I know the basics. And if I am in one of those countries where I don't know, I always feel lost. 

I cannot imagine living in a city where I cannot communicate at least on a basic store/restaurant level with a big part of the population.

Edited by CarrotCake
  • Upvote 4

I spent half a Summer in France when I was 7, my sister and I were getting sent to the shop in the campsite we were at and were able to order basic stuff in French and say please and thank you and had learned a lot of the basics by the time we had returned to Scotland. I ended up studying both French and Spanish at High school and while I am a bit rusty now, I feel comfortable talking the basics to customers in work if I need too. 

Some people find languages are hard but surely Jeremy if he wanted to could have easily learned a lot of basic words in Spanish. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Some people find languages are hard but surely Jeremy if he wanted to could have easily learned a lot of basic words in Spanish. 

I imagine learning ancient biblical Hebrew is so much more difficult than Spanish. Does his degree have a biblical languages requirement?

• Upvote 12

2 minutes ago, Ali said:

I imagine learning ancient biblical Hebrew is so much more difficult than Spanish. Does his degree have a biblical languages requirement?

If he’s getting his Masters of Divinity, which is what I’m assuming he’s doing, then yes. The first year of the program covers Greek 1 and 2, the second year has classes dedicated to using Greek to interpret the New Testament as well as Hebrew 1 and 2, and the third year has three classes dedicated to using Greek and Hebrew to analyze texts. I honestly wonder how he’s doing in those classes since like we’ve been saying, he couldn’t even pick up basic Spanish in the few years he lived and preached in Laredo. 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1

I think it really just comes down to motivation. I don't think Jeremy was ever interested in learning Spanish because he didn't intend to stay in Laredo and he probably thought it was beneath him. "They're in America, so they should learn English" line of thinking (even though America isn't just the US :wink:). If he sees value in learning Greek and Hebrew, he's more likely to put actual effort into it.

Edited by llg1234
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 5

Most people in Laredo speak at least social English so Jeremy's motivation to learn Spanish wasn't great.  I've only managed to hit one tiny Texan town where English was pretty much absent.  They had a tiny WalMart, a pizza place, and a gas station.  The US schools teach English (ESL if need be) so everyone who has been through the US educational system has at a minimum been exposed.  

• Upvote 3

In the last show when Jana’s gingerbread house fell apart Jeremy said “Oh shit”, then covered his mouth.  I thought that was great.  He’s still an ass though.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 17

1 hour ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

In the last show when Jana’s gingerbread house fell apart Jeremy said “Oh shit”, then covered his mouth.  I thought that was great.  He’s still an ass though.

Aw man, I just finished watching it on DVR then immediately deleted it, thinking I would never waste that time again. I totally missed him saying that. I may need to pay better attention during future viewings, or else keep them a week or so until I've read everything here.

Edited by Bobology
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

If he’s getting his Masters of Divinity, which is what I’m assuming he’s doing, then yes. The first year of the program covers Greek 1 and 2, the second year has classes dedicated to using Greek to interpret the New Testament as well as Hebrew 1 and 2, and the third year has three classes dedicated to using Greek and Hebrew to analyze texts. I honestly wonder how he’s doing in those classes since like we’ve been saying, he couldn’t even pick up basic Spanish in the few years he lived and preached in Laredo. 

Greek and Hebrew are HARD. They use different alphabets, to start with, and English speakers need to learn new grammatical concepts. Hebrew is written from right to left and vowels are represented in a different way. Biblical Greek is easier than Classical Greek, but that's only a relative comparison: it has multiple verb forms and declensions for nouns and pronouns. My advanced Latin gives me a good grammatical basis to learn Greek, but I still had an extremely hard time learning it and wouldn't say I know it.

Greek and Hebrew are the biggest hurdles for most seminary students. If Jeremy couldn't bother to put in the effort to learn Spanish, or is not a natural with languages, he's really going to struggle here. It's going to take hours and hours of memorization and dedication to pick up a working knowledge of the languages. He had the dedication to make it in professional sports (success in even minor league soccer requires endless hours of fitness and grinding out those drills) so I'm not going to count him out, but if he doesn't find that work ethic again he's going to be in big trouble.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Bobology said:

Aw man, I just finished watching it on DVR then immediately deleted it, thinking I would never waste that time again. I totally missed him saying that. I may need to pay better attention during future viewings, or else keep them a week or so until I've read everything here.

And TLC will edit that out for any reruns. TLC does that all the time with the more egregious things these folks say. The one specific incident that immediately comes to my mind was around the time of Jill’s wedding and she and Derick  were being interviewed about Cathy. Derick mentioned that he didn’t know if Cathy would be able to make the wedding, and Jill blurted out , “or make it at all.” That phrase was edited out of the reruns.  

6 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Greek and Hebrew are HARD. They use different alphabets, to start with, and English speakers need to learn new grammatical concepts. Hebrew is written from right to left and vowels are represented in a different way. Biblical Greek is easier than Classical Greek, but that's only a relative comparison: it has multiple verb forms and declensions for nouns and pronouns. My advanced Latin gives me a good grammatical basis to learn Greek, but I still had an extremely hard time learning it and wouldn't say I know it.

Greek and Hebrew are the biggest hurdles for most seminary students. If Jeremy couldn't bother to put in the effort to learn Spanish, or is not a natural with languages, he's really going to struggle here. It's going to take hours and hours of memorization and dedication to pick up a working knowledge of the languages. He had the dedication to make it in professional sports (success in even minor league soccer requires endless hours of fitness and grinding out those drills) so I'm not going to count him out, but if he doesn't find that work ethic again he's going to be in big trouble.

And also, he has a wife and family who will definitely impact his time. I don’t think we can compare his ability or lack there of, to learn rudimentary Spanish,  and his capability of learning Greek and Hebrew to the level of applying it to OT Bible studies. This would be like Jeremy learning enough Spanish to give hour long, weekly sermons in Spanish.

• Upvote 5

I absolutely suck at learning languages to actually speak (witness my useless German three years after moving here - I can read it fine, but writing/speaking/hearing I'm appalling.) However, Latin came really easily to me, and Greek wasn't hard, thanks to the years of Latin. Not saying Jeremy isn't a tool, he might just suck at the active parts like conversing in a foreign language, and find non-spoken language easier to pick up. Of course, he also seems ueber-lazy, arrogant and not perhaps the sharpest knife in the block, so... God, he annoys me so much!

• Upvote 4

Like others have said, I don’t think Jeremy ever saw Laredo as anything other than a stepping stone so putting effort into learning Spanish wasn’t going to benefit him so why bother? 
He may put more effort into his studies now ( and by that I mean actually studying rather than posing with big books and a bow tie) as it will benefit him to graduate.
Meanwhile they are pressing on with their podcast and fangirling over their ‘celebrity’ friends. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

@Zebedee - I’m much the same with languages. I took Spanish class from 6th grade through college. The end result is being able to read Spanish quite well, and read other Romance languages enough to get by. I can speak enough Spanish to be polite or ask for help in an emergency, but I cannot hold a conversation and have no “ear” for it when someone speaks Spanish to me. It sucks and it’s embarrassing, and definitely not a personal characteristic I would want broadcast for the world to know.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I don't know what kind of 'degree' that school gives or if the 'degree' is what Jeremy is after. Has he said straight out what his end paper will say? I could see him getting a less-than certificate type paper instead, because, you know, he's so important if is far more important for him to go do his important importance than to stay in school. If he ingratiates himself enough it is also possible he could wind up with the 'degree' without doing all the stuff others are required to do at more reputable schools/seminaries. 

I should have paid more attention here when Jeremy first proclaimed his move to the seminary (or whatever it is called) but he is kind of insufferable and I likely had my own important stuff to do rather than read about his plans.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Bobology said:

I don't know what kind of 'degree' that school gives or if the 'degree' is what Jeremy is after. Has he said straight out what his end paper will say? I could see him getting a less-than certificate type paper instead, because, you know, he's so important if is far more important for him to go do his important importance than to stay in school. If he ingratiates himself enough it is also possible he could wind up with the 'degree' without doing all the stuff others are required to do at more reputable schools/seminaries. 

I should have paid more attention here when Jeremy first proclaimed his move to the seminary (or whatever it is called) but he is kind of insufferable and I likely had my own important stuff to do rather than read about his plans.

We have a new intern at our church. She is in divinity school and is smarter than a whip. Evidently, this type of work is required for graduate degree confirmation.  In addition, she is very, very engaged and busy. She is involved in all aspects of Fellowship life. Since she joined our crew (MaxwellIan word) in early Summer, she has been on every Zoom committee meeting that I have attended, and is asking good questions and giving well thought out input. I just can’t see JV dedicating the time and effort. So in addition to the book work, he’s going to need to roll up his sleeves and get dirty, so unglamorous. I just can’t see it. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

Jeremy is supposedly working to get a Master's of Divinity I think they call it (MDiv).

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic