IGNORED

Jinjer 53: Telework, Teleschool, or Telenothing?

Coconut Flan

Great thread drift. Proud I sorta started or influenced the direction. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

On 7/25/2020 at 3:10 PM, artdecades said:

Abbie, M is for Mama went on a tirade about this on IG. I may or may not a have commented on her site. 

• Upvote 1

Yup. Conservatives are drooling about it on Twitter. I’m so sick over churches flagrantly being irresponsible with peoples’ lives and taking on some persecution complex to save their huge buildings and budgets. Stay at home already. There’s nothing essentially Christian about your Sunday morning liturgies. Fine if you enjoy them. Yay! Good for you!  But it’s not an issue of obedience or the Gospel to get dressed up, sit in a pew, sing songs, and listen to someone preach for an hour in person every week. ? 

Also I stumbled across Masters Seminary recently. It was mentioned in The Color if Compromise (really recommend if you are interested in reading about the church’s complicity in racism). 

Spoiler

6065BF7E-BBC4-46E9-9A2E-59173C6D365E.thumb.jpeg.e160705fcf2e47d91e742dc9f44f85c6.jpeg

MacArthur started at Grace Community in 1969. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

In Germany we had several outbreaks that were clearly connected to indoor services with singing and no social distancing. Mostly independent evangelical churches ignored the no-singing-rule and they really shed a bad light on all the churches and staff that work hard to offer safe services.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Idlewild said:

Jeremy just got a $80 haircut - he really does love his ‘celebrity’ life.

Eye roll. Guy is a twat waffle. His smug arse face pisses me off. Fuck me. Pms makes me ragey. And fundies really fucking annoy me. Where is my Kit Kat?  

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 4
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Idlewild said:

That’s what Jesus would have done, too! ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 8

I wonder if he had it filmed so he could pitch it to TLC to use & pay for?

His heart doesn’t really seem to be in being a church pastor- he just wants to be paid for being famous. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 12

On 7/25/2020 at 5:19 AM, IsmeWeatherwax said:

Once I've tried a recipe that gets the approval I will write it down in one of my two books I keep just for recipies. I have 4 children and the argument over who gets the books started a few years ago lol I'm 42....

That's me - only I have one kid. But we determine if a new recipe is "book worthy" or not. 

I have a lot of recipes just shoved in there though - and one of the books is completely falling apart - so I need to figure out a better system... 

(or spend the time to copy all the recipes from one book into the other...)

10 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Yup. Conservatives are drooling about it on Twitter. I’m so sick over churches flagrantly being irresponsible with peoples’ lives and taking on some persecution complex to save their huge buildings and budgets. Stay at home already. There’s nothing essentially Christian about your Sunday morning liturgies. Fine if you enjoy them. Yay! Good for you!  But it’s not an issue of obedience or the Gospel to get dressed up, sit in a pew, sing songs, and listen to someone preach for an hour in person every week. ? 

I was raised Catholic - like SUPER Catholic. And I do think it is a rule that you have to attend mass. I remember being dragged to masses in other countries (that were NOT IN ENGLISH) because we had to check the box. 

My parents church - in the midst of all this - went on-line and did mass on line. My parents did attend, although they were bummed they couldn't go to mass on their anniversary (so they went to adoration instead). I don't know if they're back to regular church or not. 

On 7/22/2020 at 12:49 PM, Sullie06 said:

My husbands grandparents are "snow birds" they reside in NY in the summer months and Florida in the winter. They typically return to NY from Florida around June 1st but due to his Grandmother having a pace maker placed they did not return to NY until early July. They expected us to bring our two children (aged 5 and 7) to see them the night they returned from Florida. As Florida is a hot spot right now we informed them that they needed to quarantine at least 14 days before seeing our children. His Grandmother got mad at us and was throwing major shade our way. We stuck strong both for their safety (they are in their 80s and in poor health) and ours. 

Meanwhile my husbands cousin brings their daughters (age 8 and 3) to the Grandparents home the night they return from Florida and several times over the past few weeks. They also allowed Grandparents to babysit the kids while they went to a wedding a couple weekends ago. Well surprise, surprise, the wedding ended up being a hot spot, both my husbands cousin and her husband got COVID and exposed not only their kids but the 80 year old Grandparents.... but I'm the bad guy for being cautious with my family.

I live in Canada and my parents are just over the border in Michigan. And we can't see each other at all without a 14 day quarantine. I don't think I have to quarantine THERE - but when I come back here I would have to. And they take it very seriously here. They'll call and check in on you (but - in true Canadian fashion - will also call to ask if you need anything and how your mental state is). 

I did suggest to my parents - that I'd rent them a little cottage on the water somewhere and they could quarantine there and THEN see us - I could deliver food etc. And my mom said "Well - can we still go out to restaurants?" 
Um - nooooo - that's the point of quarantine.... 

So they said "no thanks". We'll see if they change their mind in the fall. They haven't seen my son since February - so we'll see how long grandparents can last. (incidentally - my parents lived overseas when we were this age and if we saw my grandparents twice a year it would be surprising.)

• Upvote 10

@GuineaPigCourtship I also love plan to eat - its saved me a fortune financially because I play meals on it, and then it generates my shopping list - less impulse purchases and less wasted food.

Though my old school recipe document where I used to collect and edit recipes has been very neglected :( 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

. . . . There’s nothing essentially Christian about your Sunday morning liturgies. Fine if you enjoy them. Yay! Good for you!  But it’s not an issue of obedience or the Gospel to get dressed up, sit in a pew, sing songs, and listen to someone preach for an hour in person every week. ? 

. . . .

Except that they are taught that it is. My family went to church while suffering with the chicken pox because they taught that you needed to be in the pew unless you were hospitalized or dead.  They believe that when Hebrews 10:25 says "Forsake not the assembly of yourselves together" that if you miss even one service, you have "forsaken" and have committed sin.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 5

Growing up we must have gone to Mass when we were sick too, because in the entire time I lived at home, I can never remember missing Mass because someone was ill. We also attended Mass on vacation, even when we were camping. I think my parents were really afraid that we would all end up in hell! 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 1

@neuroticcat,  the students and faculty at Bob Jones University in Greenville, SC were at an evening chapel service on that terrible day in 1968 when Dr King was assassinated.  The students let out a loud cheer when they heard the news.  One of the students was just about to graduate and decided them and there that he was finished with the church.  I can't remember the guy's name offhand, but he became the founder of the Piedmont Secular Humanists.  

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 7
  • Sad 5
  • WTF 5

As far as I know, most American dioceses, if not all, have a dispensation in effect allowing people to miss Sunday masses until further notice. Our Archbishop has also publicly urged people who are high risk not to attend, has suggested that those who can attend smaller weekday masses instead of weekend ones and closed churches completely until local government allowed them to reopen under several conditions to maintain safety. From mid-March until mid-May, there were no public masses, no adoration, no religious ed, no groups meeting—nothing.  When we were allowed to reopen it was under strict conditions. Some parishes that could not meet them because of space or other limitations did not reopen. 
Yes, there are Catholics that feel obligated to go to mass no matter what. But American churches are not forcing them to right now. Our parish that typically had 150-200 per weekend mass currently has around 40 at each.  Households are six feet apart. Precautions are taken for communion and people are free not to receive. No sign of peace. Nearly everyone wears masks. No hymn books so no one but the cantor sings and they’re in the loft away from everyone.  Everyone is ushered out one household at a time and we have to go straight out the door. Pastor doesn’t greet anyone and no servers, processionals or recessionals. Meanwhile a local evangelical church is having church at full capacity, serving snacks and put up video of everyone hugging and shaking hands. 
Blame the evangelicals for this crap not the Catholics. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

As far as I know, most American dioceses, if not all, have a dispensation in effect allowing people to miss Sunday masses until further notice. Our Archbishop has also publicly urged people who are high risk not to attend, has suggested that those who can attend smaller weekday masses instead of weekend ones and closed churches completely until local government allowed them to reopen under several conditions to maintain safety. From mid-March until mid-May, there were no public masses, no adoration, no religious ed, no groups meeting—nothing.  When we were allowed to reopen it was under strict conditions. Some parishes that could not meet them because of space or other limitations did not reopen. 
Yes, there are Catholics that feel obligated to go to mass no matter what. But American churches are not forcing them to right now. Our parish that typically had 150-200 per weekend mass currently has around 40 at each.  Households are six feet apart. Precautions are taken for communion and people are free not to receive. No sign of peace. Nearly everyone wears masks. No hymn books so no one but the cantor sings and they’re in the loft away from everyone.  Everyone is ushered out one household at a time and we have to go straight out the door. Pastor doesn’t greet anyone and no servers, processionals or recessionals. Meanwhile a local evangelical church is having church at full capacity, serving snacks and put up video of everyone hugging and shaking hands. 
Blame the evangelicals for this crap not the Catholics. 

the catholic church copes some flack about pretty much anything. look at them getting shit right for once!!!

• Upvote 6

Yes, the requirement to go to Sunday mass (Sunday obligation) has been lifted for Catholics for the duration and I don't think it applies if you can't get to mass for reasons such as being too ill to attend anyway.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, medimus said:

Yes, the requirement to go to Sunday mass (Sunday obligation) has been lifted for Catholics for the duration and I don't think it applies if you can't get to mass for reasons such as being too ill to attend anyway.

There has never been a mass obligation for anyone too ill to attend. This is pointed out particularly during flu season in every parish I’ve attended. Right now, we get weekly emails from the parish office with links to the bulletin and other info that includes a reminder to not attend mass if you have any symptoms of illness or have been exposed.  

• Upvote 8

13 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@neuroticcat,  the students and faculty at Bob Jones University in Greenville, SC were at an evening chapel service on that terrible day in 1968 when Dr King was assassinated.  The students let out a loud cheer when they heard the news.  One of the students was just about to graduate and decided them and there that he was finished with the church.  I can't remember the guy's name offhand, but he became the founder of the Piedmont Secular Humanists.  

We were taught that he was a bad person because of his sexual immorality. While that assessment of his character is true, I still think that it was merely an acceptable excuse to ignore his teachings regarding race.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, medimus said:

I don't think it applies if you can't get to mass for reasons such as being too ill to attend anyway.

No, it does not.  Anyone who is sick would be asked or told to stay home if they asked a normal priest.  Even a cold is reason not to go spread your germs around.  Anyone who is aged or infirm is also excused.  On vacation, one would only be under an obligation if it's reasonably convenient.  Also anyone with a compromised immune system would be excused during normal times.  

• Upvote 6

20 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

the catholic church copes some flack about pretty much anything. look at them getting shit right for once!!!

My best friend's husband is Evangelical. He believes that the US is infringing on his freedom of religion but not allowing large church gatherings. He thinks it is a sin not to go to church. I said that God gives us the sense to know when its not safe to go and do endanger yourself and others. And if you zoom church isn't that gathering together anyway? Our other best friend who is studying to be a pastor said as long as 2 or more are gathered in God's name, He is with you.  And what about people who cannot go to services due to illness or are in hospital? Are they now sinners? 

yes, the Catholics got it right. And we have the most to lose as you cannot have the Eucharist over a computer screen. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 13

On 7/28/2020 at 2:27 AM, Idlewild said:

Such a clueless douche. And who is is trying to impress? In the LA celebrity world he wants to/thinks he inhabits, an $80 haircut is like going to Supercuts. In the Fundie world he wants to be god of, an $80 haircut is a pretty big slap in the face (unless you're a Joel Olsteen or someone with a following to convince people if they donate they will be soon doing that to, and Jeremy is nowhere near that yet). Seriously, in their world, such as it is, what is ""I spend $80 on a haircut and my wife's jean jacket cost $300" intended to convey?

• Upvote 9

51 minutes ago, patsymae said:

Such a clueless douche. And who is is trying to impress? In the LA celebrity world he wants to/thinks he inhabits, an $80 haircut is like going to Supercuts. In the Fundie world he wants to be god of, an $80 haircut is a pretty big slap in the face (unless you're a Joel Olsteen or someone with a following to convince people if they donate they will be soon doing that to, and Jeremy is nowhere near that yet). Seriously, in their world, such as it is, what is ""I spend $80 on a haircut and my wife's jean jacket cost $300" intended to convey?

Doesn't sound like he knows anything about stewardship.

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Doesn't sound like he knows anything about stewardship.

I could almost bet he’s never put $80 or > in the collection basket.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 8

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

I could almost bet he’s never put $80 or > in the collection basket.

I had a pastor who taught that stewardship wasn't only about what you did or didn't put in the collection basket. It was about how you ran your life and what you did with your time and talents. It's about how you treat the

Earth. Really, to me it's also about things like not wasting food if you buy too much for a recipe or buying what you need, not buying the newest and shiniest things to keep up with other people. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic