IGNORED

Maxwell 37: The Moody Family Buys Matching Vests to Wear to Jesse's Wedding

Coconut Flan

I begin writing the first draft of my last book Finding Change’s sequel.

Is this the last book she will ever write, or is it the final book of ‘what some would call’ a  series of books, or do they need to employ an editor for the tits blog?  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 18

6 hours ago, johnhugh said:

Is this the last book she will ever write, or is it the final book of ‘what some would call’ a  series of books, or do they need to employ an editor for the tits blog?  

It read to me that she is writing the first draft of her previous book’s, Finding Change, sequel. I think she’s just missing some key punctuation, which you think she’d know considering she’s an author! Even this math teacher knows where to put the correct punctuation! :my_tongue:

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, johnhugh said:

Disregard.  @JanasTattooParlor beat me to the thought.  :)

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy

Balloon Artist! I nearly spit seeing this and thinking Mary Maxwell at the same time lol There is nothing Maxwell approved in here. Just the title "Balloon Artist"--has Mary been given that title yet? or does that also hinge on first being an Mrs.?

https://catapult.co/stories/falling-in-love-with-a-balloon-artist-taught-me-i-never-wanted-to-be-normal-essay-sarah-jaffe

• Upvote 4

“We started reading Book 1: Summer with the Moodys today as a family during our read-aloud time. Before we started, my five-year-old was very excited to learn about the connection of you with the books mommy has been reading as I’ve been toting them around for the past few months now. He was also very excited that you believe in the Lord. I guess even small children know what a rare find good, Christian books are."

I find it very hard to believe that a five-year-old is really "excited " that an author of a book he likes is a Christian.  If this is true, I think it is actually kind of sad.  Most five-year-olds I know are just celebrating life. They get excited over a mud puddle, a new bike, or a playdate with a friend. They are hardly concerned over someone's religious viewpoint.  Such brainwashing that goes on in this group! 

Edited by JulineD
  • Upvote 20
  • I Agree 14

Chemo and witnessing - if someone had tried that shit while Dave was getting chemo I think I'd have felt the need to beat the everloving shit out of that person. It wouldn't have been too pretty during radiation either. 

My husband was confident in his faith and didn't like someone trying to tell him he was doing it wrong. But he was much nicer than I'd ever be. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 19

12 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Chemo and witnessing - if someone had tried that shit while Dave was getting chemo I think I'd have felt the need to beat the everloving shit out of that person. It wouldn't have been too pretty during radiation either. 

My husband was confident in his faith and didn't like someone trying to tell him he was doing it wrong. But he was much nicer than I'd ever be. 

When my husband was undergoing chemo I think he'd have found the strength to do the everlovinging shit beating out without my help. He has even less tolerance for missionary work than I do. I have to be the one to deal with the JWs and the LDS when they come to our door.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 11

Complete change of direction, and I know I’ve been away awhile. 

Big confession: I had relatives in Leavenworth and spent some happy times there in my larval stages. That’s why my dream last night grossed me out:

I went back there hoping to see my relatives’ big ole house. The Maxwells had bought it. They admitted me, and I tried to explain where the rooms had been, but they had gutted it into an “open floor plan” and removed all the charm. 

They weren’t mean but when I needed to borrow a phone they rudely ignored me.  My ex- showed up and to get away, I hopped in his car.  Leavenworth had become a ghost town of failed storefronts and shacks.  My ex- drove onto private farmland and a hog ate him.  I sighed at the thought of the LONG walk home and woke up, feeling so bad about the house.

Anybody want to interpret? I don’t have the first clue how to look up those people in my dream encyclopedia!!!  

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 5
  • Haha 6

Before I had my hysterectomy, I had to have an iron infusion once a week for 6 weeks. I was in the room with all the those receiving chemotherapy and it's amazing how close we all got. We all had TVs we could watch but no one did - we all just talked. I hope that's the sort of experience that Anna Marie is having. 

The new post that just went up is (BLAUGH) because it mentions Samaritan's Purse but I'm still astounded by how much better a writer Anna Marie is compared to Sarah. She's the one that should be the writer!

• Upvote 10

22 minutes ago, jegfile said:

Before I had my hysterectomy, I had to have an iron infusion once a week for 6 weeks. I was in the room with all the those receiving chemotherapy and it's amazing how close we all got. We all had TVs we could watch but no one did - we all just talked. I hope that's the sort of experience that Anna Marie is having. 

I hope so, too. And hopefully with plenty of average everyday people of all stripes. I hope she sees people who don't believe exactly as she does, and gets that they are good people regardless, without being all smug and literally "holier than thou" toward them. And more importantly, I hope that if that happens, she mentions those people in a positive light to her kids and "the girls" Steve has managed to keep afraid of "the world".

It's not much, probably, but any indication that non-Maxwellians can be good people and aren't automatically hell-bound tools of satan would be a good thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if she's praying out loud, handing out tracts, and asking that "the beast" be turned off, however.

We may never really know. Everything the Maxwells share is so heavily curated to Steve's standards it might as well be scripted.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, jegfile said:

The new post that just went up is (BLAUGH) because it mentions Samaritan's Purse but I'm still astounded by how much better a writer Anna Marie is compared to Sarah. She's the one that should be the writer!

She certainly is.  She has no weird phrasing or word usage and there is no question about the meaning of what she writes.  She also makes it sound interesting. I'm not behind all they do, but she puts thought into the activities for the kids and tries to adjust to each child.  That's something the Maxwells could work on.  I liked the idea of having the kids have a meal of the food packs they are helping send out.  That's good for them to know what they're doing and providing.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3

I have a feeling that Anna home schools very differently than Teri. Teri was big on throwing the kid the book in the scheduled half hour and being done; while Anna seems to come up with interesting projects. To me this shows a stark contrast to homeschooling your kids because you love it and want to and homeschooling your kids through depression because your husband is making you. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 11

3 hours ago, jegfile said:

I couldn't agree more!  I find Anna Marie's writing style very easy to read, it's both smooth and calm - someone taught her the art of clear, unambiguous but still gentle communication.  In a different life, Anna Marie would have had the potential to be an excellent pre-school/early years teacher if those skills translated (I know that it takes more than just the communication skills and a good imagination - which she also seems to have in terms of finding study materials for her children - to teach that age group, but the potential is there).

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 9

3 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I hope so, too. And hopefully with plenty of average everyday people of all stripes. I hope she sees people who don't believe exactly as she does, and gets that they are good people regardless, without being all smug and literally "holier than thou" toward them. And more importantly, I hope that if that happens, she mentions those people in a positive light to her kids and "the girls" Steve has managed to keep afraid of "the world".

It's not much, probably, but any indication that non-Maxwellians can be good people and aren't automatically hell-bound tools of satan would be a good thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if she's praying out loud, handing out tracts, and asking that "the beast" be turned off, however.

We may never really know. Everything the Maxwells share is so heavily curated to Steve's standards it might as well be scripted.

I agree that she is likely meeting people who she would consider good people, but what bothers me about any Maxwell type Christian is that being a good person is just not enough to be as deserving of Heaven as they so obviously are.  It's hard for me to feel very close to people like this, and I know a few.  They definitely know I'm a good and contributing member of society, but they also totally KNOW that I'm going to Hell because I'm not like them.  Very sad and limited point of view, and it creates a wedge between them and others.  

On 4/28/2020 at 11:23 PM, JulineD said:

“We started reading Book 1: Summer with the Moodys today as a family during our read-aloud time. Before we started, my five-year-old was very excited to learn about the connection of you with the books mommy has been reading as I’ve been toting them around for the past few months now. He was also very excited that you believe in the Lord. I guess even small children know what a rare find good, Christian books are."

I find it very hard to believe that a five-year-old is really "excited " that an author of a book he likes is a Christian.  If this is true, I think it is actually kind of sad.  Most five-year-olds I know are just celebrating life. They get excited over a mud puddle, a new bike, or a playdate with a friend. They are hardly concerned over someone's religious viewpoint.  Such brainwashing that goes on in this group! 

But that five year old is super special and better than all the other five year olds because he knows where he's going when he dies.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

Y'all beat me to it. Anna's post was such a contrast to Sarah's writing and Teri's homeschooling advice! Having Anna Marie post regularly on homeschooling instead of the stupid "your kid will get used to being ignored" posts from Teri would be so much more effective and helpful for their readers. 

There was discussion farther back about Elissa's family and I didn't have a chance to post then. I was at the 2014 Wichita conference. Elissa made it a point to share her father's views on making friends outside the family. She was taught that your siblings should be your friends, much like Steve's view. 

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 3
  • Thank You 2

Hopefully, Teri's homeschooling of Anna's kids will not undo any communication skills Anna may have been able to impart upon them.

• Upvote 14

Do you think the Maxwells have a plan of turning the blog over to Anna and Christopher? I know that she posts a lot because of what is happening in her life; however, she has been posting a lot of other things lately too. It seems to me they were trying to have Anna post more and more and eventually transition it over to them. 

• Upvote 4

Amusingly I got an ad in this thread for an astrology service, asking something like "what is coming your way in 2020?" followed by a list of signs, which of course includes Cancer.  Yeah the context sensitive ads are not exactly sensitive :P

Chemo plans vary a lot, even day to day.  Mondays were the longest for me since two of my drugs were only administered weekly.

The difficult part with Mondays was timing bathroom breaks correctly cos it's a nuisance (and time consuming) to have to stop the IV and flush the lines (that's absolutely necessary before moving around for safety reasons), and you definitely gotta go cos your kidneys are working overtime on all the saline solution being pumped directly into your bloodstream.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 6

It really annoys me when people have the boys and girls do different activities based on their gender. Joshua could have colored paper dolls and his sisters could have had a turn reading aloud or doing the continent puzzles; they didn’t look hard.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Before the cancer, Anna Marie homeschooled 3, while looked after 2 little ones and was pregnant, cleaned the house and cooked, and trained the children to help (which it itself a hard work!).

I don't share the opinion that she's a great homeschooler. She has no time. She may prepare nice projects from time to time, and share in the blog, but daily school must be like in everyone of those fundie families: full of dull worksheets to fill. Survival mode on.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8

26 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Before the cancer, Anna Marie homeschooled 3, while looked after 2 little ones and was pregnant, cleaned the house and cooked, and trained the children to help (which it itself a hard work!).

I don't share the opinion that she's a great homeschooler. She has no time. She may prepare nice projects from time to time, and share in the blog, but daily school must be like in everyone of those fundie families: full of dull worksheets to fill. Survival mode on.

I have no idea what her actual homeschooling is like - but, she herself has a grasp of communication, at least in written form. Unlike the majority of Maxwells. So, I would assume that since she actually seems educated, what she would teach her children would come from that source. Sarah learned from a depressed mother with no motivation, and that is clear in every sentence. Anna is uniquely suited for her life and seems very happy & content. 

At the very least, her children have a mother who gives a shit as opposed to one who cries in her room or obsesses over a schedule so she doesn't have to actually think.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

I have no idea what her actual homeschooling is like - but, she herself has a grasp of communication, at least in written form. Unlike the majority of Maxwells. So, I would assume that since she actually seems educated, what she would teach her children would come from that source. Sarah learned from a depressed mother with no motivation, and that is clear in every sentence. Anna is uniquely suited for her life and seems very happy & content. 

At the very least, her children have a mother who gives a shit as opposed to one who cries in her room or obsesses over a schedule so she doesn't have to actually think.

But Anna Marie comes from a relatively little family. I think they were 4 siblings, plus a much more younger girl, that was adopted when Anna Marie was a teenager.

Conversely, she is willing to have a lot of children. Of course, cancer can change her plans. But the more kids, the worse homeschooling is something we can see in every fundie family.

Zsu was quite good homeschooling back in the day: trips to the library, crafts, all kinds of subjects... It came worse and worse... Anna Marie has a very different personality, but homeschooling with creativity takes a lot of time and energy, and the more kids, the less of both.

Anna Marie is also extremely scheduling and sexist. Both are ways to cut kids creativity and smartness.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

On 4/27/2020 at 10:10 PM, tabitha2 said:

Why? The family had a previous well loved  dog for many years and of course they have their kitty Arnold as well. 

Because they would likely be considered costly, time consuming, extraneous and possibly idol material in the beige thinking and lifestyle of Steven Maxwell!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

11 hours ago, anachronistic said:

It really annoys me when people have the boys and girls do different activities based on their gender. Joshua could have colored paper dolls and his sisters could have had a turn reading aloud or doing the continent puzzles; they didn’t look hard.

That's why I couldn't get through even one episode of Fixer Upper.  Chip did some kind of building activiity with the boys (maybe it was going to the hardware store) and Joanna was baking cookies with their daughter.  (There was areal sense that the daughter was not to be a part of the boy activity.) When my daughters were little, they often went with their dad to the hardware store.  Or hiking. It's a family tradition that my husband takes every hiking to the top of Table Rock when they're about 12 and now he's going to start this with our grandchildren.  They'd also cook and bake with me.  And there were lots of times when we all did stuff together.

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 13

• Coconut Flan locked this topic