IGNORED

Maxwell 37: The Moody Family Buys Matching Vests to Wear to Jesse's Wedding

Coconut Flan

@HerNameIsBuffy, A number of kids I’ve babysat for over the years would’ve loved that so I didn’t find it strange. I doubt the kids are allowed to watch tv so the only way they’d see construction is to go watch it for “real.” That part I find sad. There are so many educational shows available now! Not saying the in person wasn’t fun, but it was probably even more exciting than it would’ve been for more “worldy” kids. 

• Upvote 13

14 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

JESSE'S house is for sale/sold? Does that mean it wasn't in the actual family enclave-neighborhood? Or, dare we hope, he's moving closer to HER family after the wedding? Or actually going somewhere else?? [No, I know that's dreaming--unless it's to work or "apprentice" (informally) with another Steve-approved cult MAN somewhere). Has he bought another house for their marital bliss and child-training years?

If I recall correctly Jessie's house was near John and Chelsy's, so far by Maxwell mothership standards. 

Maybe Jesse is going to move to Ohio instead of having his soon to be wife move to Kansas. Imagine the sadness and wailing considering they were sad and upset when Natw moved across the street.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

I hope that Jesse and his new wife won't be staying with Steve and Teri for any extended length of time.  

Edited by FloraKitty35
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 9

It’s been said before, but this proves once again that the Maxwells are their very own, insular little cult. How sad for everyone involved, especially the two younger generations who didn’t really have a say in the matter. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

18 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I've never met a kid who doesn't love watching construction work. Girls & boys alike. Hell, I'm a grown ass adult, and my street is being torn up. While I was home on medical leave, I was out there every day just sitting in my little chair, watching. 

When I read it I just assumed the car was safer for all - she didn't have to get out to wrangle kids, etc. 

This. Construction work, commercial fishing terminals, rail yard switching and garbage transfer stations are massively entertaining for most children. One recently built indoor transfer station in Seattle has a special viewing room with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the area where garbage trucks unload; there's comfortable seating for those people who don't find the action quite as fascinating.

Back when I still worked in the city, usually with any new highrise under construction  the plywood fencing around the site had the traditional peepholes at various heights so people walking by could watch the construction work. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

3 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

New post from Anna Marie. I’m somewhat surprised that she is using donor milk. 

I hope it's from an actual milk bank and not from informal donors even if it's from an informal donor network like Eats on Feets. (No, I don't get the name either.)  Milk from human milk banks like the HMBNA banks is screened and you can be sure it will be properly handled.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

I hope it's from an actual milk bank and not from informal donors even if it's from an informal donor network like Eats on Feets. (No, I don't get the name either.)  Milk from human milk banks like the HMBNA banks is screened and you can be sure it will be properly handled.

Eh, I extended nursed (3+ years) and some informal sharing has always gone on. That part isn’t a huge deal to me. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

This. Construction work, commercial fishing terminals, rail yard switching and garbage transfer stations are massively entertaining for most children.

We had a series of VHS tapes that our kids absolutely loved,  We started with “There Goes a Truck,” for our son and we ended up collecting most of them - train, boat, ambulance, helicopter - because both he and our daughter enjoyed them so much.  

I can’t get the links to work, but YouTube appears to have many of them in full. If any of you have little ones to entertain, they last about a half hour and are really good. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, fundiewatch said:

Eh, I extended nursed (3+ years) and some informal sharing has always gone on. That part isn’t a huge deal to me. 

I think it depends on if you know/trust who you are getting it from. I've always had excess supply and have always had friends that needed it. They would come raid my freezer from time to time. Since they trusted me and knew I was feeding that milk to my baby they were totally fine with it. Now I wouldn't take it from a complete stranger- but I totally get taking it from someone you knew. 

I did look into giving my excess milk to a milk bank- but honestly I didn't have the time to get the tests and jump through all their hoops. And when I thought of this my freezer was already full of milk and not in their specific approved containers. I was really happy (and it was much easier) for friends to just show up to "borrow a cup of milk."

• Upvote 7

I'm not against informal milk sharing, as a rulle,  but at this time in Anna Marie's life and at this time in history, a milk bank would be preferable as you could be more sure about the handling of the milk.  

I'm not at all opposed to extended nursing. One of my girls nursed for over four years and another for three and a half.  I was a La Leche League Leader for 30 years and have been involved with mother-to-mother breastfeeding support for almost 40 years.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

With her hat, I wonder if she shaved her head? In a previous post it also looks like Chris had a shaved head, maybe in solidarity? That would actually be surprisingly nice. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

Anna Marie's new post again reminded me of how much better her writing is compared to Sarah's.

She's coherent and engaging, and sounds friendly, which is a stark contrast to the Maxblog standard of cobbled-together words (what some might call a sentence – or not!) and weird switches between boring, unnecessary detail and no content whatsoever, all dripping with condescension.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

On 5/13/2020 at 2:33 PM, SisterCupcake said:

And yes, private wedding=private event=they don't owe anyone anything. But they detail their lives to the Nth degree and we get nothing about plans for a wedding. To be sure, I thought it was a little weird when the other weddings were silent too.

It is a little strange that one of the more interesting things that happens to them is completely ignored, but we get in-depth posts about bean burritos and such.

I find construction work mildly interesting, but on the subject of "watching people work" any time I'm at an airport I try to be near enough a window to watch the goings-on out on the tarmac. My favorite thing I saw was when a luggage cart train took a corner too fast and a couple suitcases flew out RIGHT behind the wheels of a 747 that was already delayed and supposed to leave any minute. They sat there for a good 2 hours with people just driving around them, but luckily the plane was delayed more and more too. I never saw the end result - our plane left before the 747 did.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Paperplate said:

Anna Marie's new post again reminded me of how much better her writing is compared to Sarah's.

She's coherent and engaging, and sounds friendly, which is a stark contrast to the Maxblog standard of cobbled-together words (what some might call a sentence – or not!) and weird switches between boring, unnecessary detail and no content whatsoever, all dripping with condescension.

I wonder if AM is at all concerned that the Maxwells are in charge of homeschooling in her absence? There is no comparison between AM’s writing skills and those of any of the Maxwells that I have seen. Perhaps school is over until Fall for the kids? I’ll bet that is the case.

• Upvote 10

Back in ‘78-9, we La Leche League members in my area had an informal donor milk situation set up for a sick baby at Yale New Haven Hospital. He lacked certain immunological capabilities, and these weren’t present in his mother’s milk either.

No testing, no nothing; we just froze our excess milk in plastic containers and one of the gals swung by our houses with a picnic cooler and picked it up.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

There is this really great show on the Science Channel - on Cable TV, that show how things are made, I've seen everything from bicycles, yarn, fabric, hats, musical instruments, ice cream novelties, sexing baby chicks, bacon, and way more.  We call it Crack TV because there are times when they do a marathon and the half hour shows run 24 hours a day.  We record all the new episodes.  It's an extra package for on on DirecRV/ATT but worth it for that channel alone.    What is really interesting to us is, how no matter how good automation gets, there are some things that you just have to do by hand.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, freethemall said:

With her hat, I wonder if she shaved her head? In a previous post it also looks like Chris had a shaved head, maybe in solidarity? That would actually be surprisingly nice. 

That would make me feel worse, actually.

A balding man shaving his head is in no way comparable to a woman with long hair doing the same.  After a month or so he's back to normal and it would be years before mine would even be past my shoulders again.

This could be one of those things that most people think are a nice gesture and I just don't get.  

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Hane said:

Back in ‘78-9, we La Leche League members in my area had an informal donor milk situation set up for a sick baby at Yale New Haven Hospital. He lacked certain immunological capabilities, and these weren’t present in his mother’s milk either.

No testing, no nothing; we just froze our excess milk in plastic containers and one of the gals swung by our houses with a picnic cooler and picked it up.

Things have changed a lot in the past 40 years in terms of milk donation.  There had been plenty of milk banks in the US before 1985 or possibly a bit earlier, but the discovery of HIV had led to most of them closing down, at least for a few years.  Doctors realized by that time that human milk could be a vector for HIV, not just blood and semen.  I think the milk bank at Duke was one of the few that remained open.  Now, all donors are screened for HIV and other blood borne illnesses, given a supply of storage containers, told how to pack their milk for shipment if the bank is at a distance from the mother, and the milk usually undergoes Holder pasteurization once it arrives at the milk bank.  

Elizabeth Glaser received a blood transfusion when she gave birth to her daughter Ariel in 1981.  Many of the blood donors at Cedars-Sinai were gay men and since this was 1981,  some people were just beginning to realize that something strange and horrible was stalking gay men. (The first CDC report came out at the end of June and the NY Times published its first story on the disease on July 3.)   How it was transmitted was not exactly clear until the discovery of HIV in 1985.  (Dr Fauci played a huge role in that discovery, btw.)  Elizabeth breastfed Ariel and she and Paul Micheal soon realized that Ariel kept getting sick.  She was tested in '85 and tested positive.  Ariel died in 1988.  

@Hane,  my co-Leader helped found the mother's milk bank at Greenville Memorial and ran the route picking up donated milk for years.  She herself also donated for years.  

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

Of course she made a friend at chemo that homeschools, has done mission work, and is likely also fundie or conservative Christian. Just once I would love for a fundie to make a friend that is of another religion and they become actual friends. But anyone in the Maxwell borg couldn’t manage that. They would have to push their religion down the other person’s throat until they run away.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

20 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Of course she made a friend at chemo that homeschools, has done mission work, and is likely also fundie or conservative Christian. Just once I would love for a fundie to make a friend that is of another religion and they become actual friends. But anyone in the Maxwell borg couldn’t manage that. They would have to push their religion down the other person’s throat until they run away.

Isn't she in a Christian medical facility?  Or am I remembering that wrong?

If so it's likely she'll only be meeting other flavors of Christian, albeit people religious enough to factor it into their treatment.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1

Anyone notice that in the background of the 7th to last pic from the Mother’s Day post (Abby is in the front waiting for dessert) there is clearly a woman wearing pants in the background with long, dark hair? Say what you will about Chelsy, but I say way to go for her feeling comfortable enough to wear pants around her ultra-conservative in-laws.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

29 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Isn't she in a Christian medical facility?  Or am I remembering that wrong?

If so it's likely she'll only be meeting other flavors of Christian, albeit people religious enough to factor it into their treatment.

Oh then that would make sense that she just happened to befriend another Christian like herself. She can’t even get cancer treatment from a secular facility!

24 minutes ago, Dee-Dee said:

Anyone notice that in the background of the 7th to last pic from the Mother’s Day post (Abby is in the front waiting for dessert) there is clearly a woman wearing pants in the background with long, dark hair? Say what you will about Chelsy, but I say way to go for her feeling comfortable enough to wear pants around her ultra-conservative in-laws.

I think Chelsy is more used to dressing less conservatively than older family members. Since her grandmas still wear plain clothing. 

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic