IGNORED

Maxwell 37: The Moody Family Buys Matching Vests to Wear to Jesse's Wedding

Coconut Flan

INvigorating spring weather, Sarah - not ENvigorating.

SOTDRT strikes again.  

Edited by danvillebelle
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

It seems Ruthanne was really into the game, and it's a shame her long skirt seems to hold her back: she can't take wide steps and like people have said, she has to be careful not to step into the hem. It sucks that she can't play comfortably cause she might defraud men.

• Upvote 14

50 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

INvigorating spring weather, Sarah - not ENvigorating.

SOTDRT strikes again.  

It’s actually a valid spelling. 

• Upvote 3

They can’t be allowed to play ‘the floor is lava’, it must be a brand new, made up game. Because if they talked about lava that might lead to talk of volcanoes, which might lead to geology or history, which might lead to dinosaurs, which might lead to the realization that the earth is not 2000 years old.

(I don’t actually know if the Maxwells are young earthers but I am pretty sure they’re creationists.)

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

It’s actually a valid spelling. 

Except Sarah's not British, and neither is the curriculum she used growing up.

• Upvote 9

53 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

They can’t be allowed to play ‘the floor is lava’, it must be a brand new, made up game. Because if they talked about lava that might lead to talk of volcanoes, which might lead to geology or history, which might lead to dinosaurs, which might lead to the realization that the earth is not 2000 years old.

(I don’t actually know if the Maxwells are young earthers but I am pretty sure they’re creationists.)

They are indeed young earthers. They once visited some caverns and exchanged “knowing looks” when their guide mentioned that the caverns were millions of years old, because they “knew better.” I’m constantly surprised that an engineer like Stevehovah jumped onto YEC.

• Upvote 17
  • Rufus Bless 4

1 hour ago, danvillebelle said:

Except Sarah's not British, and neither is the curriculum she used growing up.

Still a valid spelling and usage not automatically a result of SODRT Miseducation. She could have read a British Religious text for all we know. 

• Upvote 3
  • Bless Your Heart 1

Wait, what ? I can't but question the sincerity of these people ! Steve Maxwell is a Young Earth Creationist ? How is that... I mean, he knows better. His children might not have had the same educational opportunities, but how does he wrap his head around the concept without feeling ridiculous ? Hasn't he lived in the "outside" world long enough to know how this looks ? And this guy gets invited to conferences ?

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, Paperplate said:

I have the link to the picture. They didn't take it down from the server.

I don't think I should post it here, since someone (probably Sarah) apparently didn't want it to be public.

What do y'all think about sending it privately? Would that be ok?

If it's o.k. with Admin. I'd like to see it if you wouldn't mind messaging it.  I know @HerNameIsBuffy reads this thread, so maybe she can tell us if that would be o.k.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, anachronistic said:

It's new to them (certainly to Sarah) but it's a variation on an old, old team-building exercise--work together to come up with a solution to a problem. The solution the kids came up with was certainly effective but without that huge supply of buckets and plastic stools they would have had a much harder time of it.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Still a valid spelling and usage not automatically a result of SODRT Miseducation. She could have read a British Religious text for all we know. 

There are some fundie households where this would reasonably be true, but it’s not as likely in Maxhell:  Steve openly admits that his kids don’t read (because they’re writers, you know); Sarah has a long history of spelling and grammatical errors on the blog; the Moody books have spelling and grammatical errors; she’s not using the British spellings of any other words.  So even if Sarah is reading religious texts and there’s an outside chance that she picked up the British spelling of one word, there’s still a greater chance with her track record that she pulled a JRod and spelled it phonetically (on suite, anyone?).

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6

On 4/18/2020 at 10:31 PM, nausicaa said:

We now know the answer. There is no way people aren't talking about this family with five married brothers and all three sisters at home and unmarried. If he cared more about appearances, he would have begun matchmaking in earnest for his daughters after John's wedding at the latest.

I felt this way for a long time and hoped that I would be proven wrong about it: that Steve desperately wants to control all his adult kids forever.  But controlling sons who marry is going to be a lot easier than controlling a daughter.   With sons, they get a house near the compound and the wife moves in, away from her family and into the Maxhell family orbit.   

With a daughter it's a lot more problematic because there are two choices:  it's either deal with a daughter moving away, thereby accepting losing total control, or requiring any son-in-law to move near the family and meeting all the insane Steveovah requirements that would involve.    Both are impossible.

I honestly think the Sarah likely had some potential suitors.  Suspect Steveovah's insane requirements scared them away and now many of those suitors have moved on.   I wonder how Sarah felt as Daddy chased them off.   She might talk as if she's accepting of her life as it is, but honestly I don't think it is at all as she envisioned.  

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

14 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

That's the only thing that comes to my mind when I hear the name.

Same here, and the fact that it’s about Eric Clapton’s forbidden love for his best friend’s(then)wife.

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, kpmom said:

If it's o.k. with Admin. I'd like to see it if you wouldn't mind messaging it.  I know @HerNameIsBuffy reads this thread, so maybe she can tell us if that would be o.k.

It's not against the rules, as long as nothing private is posted publicly.  

Personally I wouldn't want to see it as she's not a public figure and just happened to be on the Maxwell's blog...but I can be weird about that stuff and there is no rule against it.  

3 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I agree.  Once "grey" became almost as common place as "gray" here I figured linguistic borders are fluid :) 

Except for "zed."  That will never not sound weird to me.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

I honestly think the Sarah likely had some potential suitors.  Suspect Steveovah's insane requirements scared them away and now many of those suitors have moved on.   I wonder how Sarah felt as Daddy chased them off.   She might talk as if she's accepting of her life as it is, but honestly I don't think it is at all as she envisioned.  

At this point she would probably be honest if she answered  “I’m so grateful he protected me from unsuitable men!” ?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

I felt this way for a long time and hoped that I would be proven wrong about it: that Steve desperately wants to control all his adult kids forever.  But controlling sons who marry is going to be a lot easier than controlling a daughter.   With sons, they get a house near the compound and the wife moves in, away from her family and into the Maxhell family orbit.   

With a daughter it's a lot more problematic because there are two choices:  it's either deal with a daughter moving away, thereby accepting losing total control, or requiring any son-in-law to move near the family and meeting all the insane Steveovah requirements that would involve.    Both are impossible.

I honestly think the Sarah likely had some potential suitors.  Suspect Steveovah's insane requirements scared them away and now many of those suitors have moved on.   I wonder how Sarah felt as Daddy chased them off.   She might talk as if she's accepting of her life as it is, but honestly I don't think it is at all as she envisioned.  

I believe in posts way, way, way back Sarah alluded to the fact that she had men who were interested in starting a relationship with her. However, Steve probably wanted them to move to the Maxwell compound in Kansas. Since they don't go a regular church Sarah's chance of finding a suitor in Kansas was limited. She probably met a few eligible men along the road that Steve would approve of. But, the whole having to move to Kansas to follow Steve's rules and regulations probably proved too much. 

• Upvote 6

19 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

I believe in posts way, way, way back Sarah alluded to the fact that she had men who were interested in starting a relationship with her.

I seem to remember that as well.  

19 minutes ago, NancyDrewFan1989 said:

She probably met a few eligible men along the road that Steve would approve of. But, the whole having to move to Kansas to follow Steve's rules and regulations probably proved too much.

Traveling gave her the best chance of meeting someone, given the more limited social life she had at home.  I agree there were probably guys that Steveovah was fine with until they got hit with the laundry list of "must do's".   

For one thing, I could see how Steve's requirement of being self-employed (and in a job Steve approved of to boot) would clash with moving to Kansas, meaning leaving behind a client base and having to start all over in a new location and that's assuming there's a market for the work.  There might not be one.  So much for having a job then.   Which means you can't buy a house in cash.   And can't support Sarah or any kids.  Being hit with such a cascading list of requirements would make it impossible.  So they give up.   In time, word gets around in fundie circles of how impossible it is to get past Dad.  Just like Daddy Botkin.  

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Upvote 5
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

At this point she would probably be honest if she answered  “I’m so grateful he protected me from unsuitable men!” ?

Unfortunately she probably would be honest but seriously I have to wonder how she felt at the time.   She's been trained to believe Daddy has her best interests at heart but as time went on, she had to notice that Daddy approved of no one but likely buried any conflicts about it and now has completely convinced herself.  

This reminds me of my Maxwellian parents who didn't fully approve of anyone I dated.  There was always some little complaint they had.  They allowed me of course because they were smart enough to know that if they didn't it would backfire.  Better to have the guys come to the house and get grilled by Dad than having me sneak around. 

One of the things they pushed was that the right place to meet someone was at church because that is where they met.  Yet, they complained of all the young men at church.  Incidentally I never dated anyone at church and I suspect it was my Dad, who was church council, elder, etc. was being, well, like Steve.

Edited by nokidsmom
Riffle
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Unfortunately she probably would be honest but seriously I have to wonder how she felt at the time.   She's been trained to believe Daddy has her best interests at heart but as time went on, she had to notice that Daddy approved of no one but likely buried any conflicts about it and now has completely convinced herself.

This is the worst part of him breaking her - she’s given up. She probably has no internal conflict about marriage now...or she’s consumed by it. Either way, fuck you, Steve!

• Upvote 7

So, apparently, Steve does not really believe in:

Genesis 2:24  Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

I have been thinking of this recently as we discussed all the sons living so close to Steve’s house. Regardless of how they might be distancing themselves from Steve’s much stricter beliefs (as in, clothing, friendships, etc) those men still cannot distance themselves, physically, from their parents. It doesn’t seem very manly to me - at least not in the way these fundies want us to think of the word. I don’t care if they are “business owners” and live a debt free life. If they can’t leave Daddy’s compound, they have not been raised to be very strong in their faith.  Nor have they been raised to be strong, independent adults who should he able to run their households without the constant monitoring and input from parents.  Meanwhile, their wives (the so-called weaker sex) have been expected to start a whole new life far from family, in a very isolated manner of living. So, the women leave and cleave but the men do not. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

34 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

This is the worst part of him breaking her - she’s given up. She probably has no internal conflict about marriage now...or she’s consumed by it. Either way, fuck you, Steve!

And what is the saddest part of it?   Being fundies, I'd say it's pretty certain that Steve and Teri raised their daughters with the idea of being wives and mothers, keepers at home.   It would be the only acceptable thing when talking about their futures.  So they put the idea of marriage and motherhood into their heads yet put obstacles in the way of it.  It was probably genuine at the time but it didn't take into consideration how deep Steve would delve into his rabbit hole.

Being sheltered as she was, even if Sarah realized what was happening, she had no means to get away from it, she has basically, in real world terms, no education, no work experience, no money or connections to help her make the break.   By the time I realized my folks could be an obstacle to some goals in my life, I was already going to school and working plus once I had my degree, I planned to get out of there ASAP which I did.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

Went lurking around YouTube to check out Swift Otter. Amazed that the Maxwell men are so tech savvy given their upbringing. If I didn't know Joe is from a strange family, he would be considered a regular dude to chat with over coffee. He even sounds long winded and could go on hours talking about his job. And what about those other 3 guys on their website? One has a son and another is a wildlife photographer. Would be nice if they were proper suitors for the Maxwell sisters. Just a thought.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

And what about those other 3 guys on their website? One has a son and another is a wildlife photographer. Would be nice if they were proper suitors for the Maxwell sisters. Just a thought.

No. As shitty as Steve’s control of his daughters is, they’re better off single than with someone Steve chooses for them. 

Edited by Giraffe
Grammaring better. I think. ?‍♀️
  • Upvote 9

I honestly think Steve can't stand the idea of descendants of his that aren't named Maxwell. He's very obsessed with his last name. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

25 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I honestly think Steve can't stand the idea of descendants of his that aren't named Maxwell. He's very obsessed with his last name. 

Which is ironic since his birth name is Bargar.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic