IGNORED

Maxwell 37: The Moody Family Buys Matching Vests to Wear to Jesse's Wedding

Coconut Flan

I was happy, like others, to see Anna seems to be getting real treatment. I'm sure it is very hard to be doing that away from her husband and children. We can snark all we like, but only the husband and wife know the truth of any marriage. I LOVED the hats that Abby made. That was a big gesture. I truly hope Anna comes through all this fine. I do not agree with much in their lives but I do agree it's horrible for children to lose a parent to death especially.

I also did not see her comment as openly evangelizing. I thought she felt sincerely for them and what they are going through "alone" without the Lord as she sees him. That's ok. If she starts shoving tracts down people's throats that's totally not ok.

• Upvote 18

Late to the conversation, but do these folks just ask others/strangers about their faith or lack there of? How would that conversation even arise in a cancer treatment setting, let alone e during a pandemic requiring social distancing?
Anna: Hi. I’m Anna, got God? ?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Late to the conversation, but do these folks just ask others/strangers about their faith or lack there of? How would that conversation even arise in a cancer treatment setting, let alone e during a pandemic requiring social distancing?

I am sure others have a better answer but I think you have to hang out all day long getting chemo. And I think it’s pretty boring. You probably bring a book to read or mess around on your phone. But I imagine you still feel like chatting with nurses or other chemo patients. Since you spend so much time there, you probably get to know quite a few of them. 

• Upvote 8

39 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I am sure others have a better answer but I think you have to hang out all day long getting chemo. And I think it’s pretty boring. You probably bring a book to read or mess around on your phone. But I imagine you still feel like chatting with nurses or other chemo patients. Since you spend so much time there, you probably get to know quite a few of them. 

I could see if you built a relationship over time, maybe, but Anna most likely does not know any of these people. At this point a conversation of this nature seems so presumptuous to me.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

They ask if they can pray with you.  That's the most common opener they use, IME.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

5 hours ago, SassyPants said:

To the bolded, yes, they do and here’s an example.

https://blog.titus2.com/2007/04/30/arrived-or-a-drift/

Apparently, she was saved but she was doing it wrong. ? (They got some pushback for this post.) They’ve hit up servers, service people and no doubt other random strangers the same way. They also make a point of visiting ”the elderly” in the retirement home and while I do think the residents who attend the Maxwells’ services are there willingly and most likely really enjoy seeing the children especially, I also think there’s some subtle pressure put on others. 

Mostly, they like to engage people in small talk before hitting them up with the big question and in fact, the whole point of “Making Great Conversationalist” really isn’t about great conversations or the person you’re speaking to but how to polish your sales pitch so you make the sale. Same with their appearances at the country fair with the face painting, balloon animals and Creepy the Clown. No one gets away without a tract. 

While I hope that no Maxwell would have the stones to approach patient in a cancer treatment center, you just never know since, to them, “saving” some poor soul is the greatest gift they could give. Although I can’t think of a worse place to ask a person if they know where they’re going to go when they die. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

49 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

A month from today Jesse and his Anna get married supposedly.

Will they put it off?  We'll see.

Covid-19 aside, I don't know if I'd feel like celebrating with my SIl very sick and far away. 

22 minutes ago, sparkles said:

Oh gosh, I remember that post.  Steve seemed so surprised that people called him out for doing that.  The poor checker.

Steve has no problem at all proselytizing complete strangers (kids included, remember those State Fairs?), so I imagine the whole family does it too.

• Upvote 9

13 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My mom only spent two to two+1/2 hours getting her chemo infusions. I imagine the protocols vary.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, sparkles said:

Apparently, she was saved but she was doing it wrong. ? (They got some pushback for this post.) They’ve hit up servers, service people and no doubt other random strangers the same way. They also make a point of visiting ”the elderly” in the retirement home and while I do think the residents who attend the Maxwells’ services are there willingly and most likely really enjoy seeing the children especially, I also think there’s some subtle pressure put on others. 

Mostly, they like to engage people in small talk before hitting them up with the big question and in fact, the whole point of “Making Great Conversationalist” really isn’t about great conversations or the person you’re speaking to but how to polish your sales pitch so you make the sale. Same with their appearances at the country fair with the face painting, balloon animals and Creepy the Clown. No one gets away without a tract. 

While I hope that no Maxwell would have the stones to approach patient in a cancer treatment center, you just never know since, to them, “saving” some poor soul is the greatest gift they could give. Although I can’t think of a worse place to ask a person if they know where they’re going to go when they die. 

Reading that drivel again just makes me angry. Who the f*ck does he think he is? Really? If I were doing my job and some random asshat asked me a question like that, I'd make up the wildest story of debauchery I could on the spot. 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

What exactly is witnessing, anyway? When you ‘witness’ to someone does it just mean that you stand there and push your particular brand of Christianity on them? Because that’s what it sounds like to me. I’m confused, because I can witness something happen, I can witness someone doing something, but I can’t witness *to* something or someone. The grammar seems wrong.

other questions :

What do they do if someone says this they do read their Bible everyday? And that they always get stuck on the thing about wearing two different fibers as the person asking them is wearing, or what kind of rocks you’re supposed to use when stoning people?

If I was getting chemo and someone asked me where I was going when I died, I’d assume it was a question about if I’d made funeral arrangements and say something like ‘XY funeral parlor is doing the cremation’ but I’d also be offended that I was trying so hard to live and was getting chemo and this total stranger had taken one look at me and assumed that my disease was fatal. isn’t it rude to bring up death when someone is fighting a potentially fatal disease?

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5

9 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

What exactly is witnessing, anyway? When you ‘witness’ to someone does it just mean that you stand there and push your particular brand of Christianity on them? Because that’s what it sounds like to me.

Yes, that's exactly what it is.  However unlike "purposing" it's actually the proper word.

official definition

(of a person) openly profess one's religious faith.

"our duty is to witness to God"

• Upvote 5

Big day at the Maxwells— Sarah is beginning her new books. What an overwrought process the whole thing is. I sincerely believe she is clinically depressed like her mother was. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 9

Yep, finding change came out nov 2018. It seems a lot of time for someone who basically writes full time.

She's so smug about her books, like they're the only worthwhile books out there,

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, freejugar said:

She's so smug about her books, like they're the only worthwhile books out there,

I'll give her a pass on this, they are all she has.  

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 4/25/2020 at 6:10 PM, sparkles said:

To the Maxwells, I think that would be the most important place to witness to people. I believe to them, it's a moral imperative to share the gospel and "get people saved", and it's possible some of the people there might have less time to "be saved" than the general public. Add to that the fact that their God is vindictive and looking for any excuse to send people to hell, and they're probably pretty frantic to try and get the elderly and cancer patients "saved" before they die so it won't be a black mark on the Maxwell's record. To them, any person they encounter and don't witness to, who then dies and goes to hell (in their opinion) it's like the Maxwells personally booted them into the eternal fire.

They don't see it as negative or bothersome, they see it as their own fault if they refrain from witnessing and the person then dies - they are going to assume the person went to hell and blame themselves for it. If they witness and get a negative result, well, at least they tried. They'll pray about it and consider themselves off the hook on that one. 

They don't really want to have to deal with other people, really. They're pretty insular. But they "witness" to anyone they encounter anyway, lest they show up at the pearly gates and see a long list of people they could have "saved" but didn't.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

Big day at the Maxwells— Sarah is beginning her new books. What an overwrought process the whole thing is. I sincerely believe she is clinically depressed like her mother was. 

Was?  I don't believe for a second Teri's depression is in the past.  I've no doubt her outward expression of it is better contained as they've spent the kids' lifetimes controlling every aspect of life so she doesn't get too overwhelmed...but none of her words or actions are those of someone who is happy or at peace.

9 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

To the Maxwells, I think that would be the most important place to witness to people. I believe to them, it's a moral imperative to share the gospel and "get people saved", and it's possible some of the people there might have less time to "be saved" than the general public. Add to that the fact that their God is vindictive and looking for any excuse to send people to hell, and they're probably pretty frantic to try and get the elderly and cancer patients "saved" before they die so it won't be a black mark on the Maxwell's record. To them, any person they encounter and don't witness to, who then dies and goes to hell (in their opinion) it's like the Maxwells personally booted them into the eternal fire.

They don't see it as negative or bothersome, they see it as their own fault if they refrain from witnessing and the person then dies - they are going to assume the person went to hell and blame themselves for it. If they witness and get a negative result, well, at least they tried. They'll pray about it and consider themselves off the hook on that one. 

They don't really want to have to deal with other people, really. They're pretty insular. But they "witness" to anyone they encounter anyway, lest they show up at the pearly gates and see a long list of people they could have "saved" but didn't.

This.  For people like them their obligation to save the souls of others is no less critical than ours would be to call 911 if we saw someone having a heart attack, or to shout and pull someone back if they were about to walk in the path of a bus.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1

On 4/26/2020 at 8:29 AM, scoutsadie said:

My mom only spent two to two+1/2 hours getting her chemo infusions. I imagine the protocols vary.

They do, hugely!  Chemo can be tablets you take at home for a certain number of days per cycle, several days as an in-patient per cycle and pretty much everything in between.  I think Anna said she was at the facility for about 7 hours on chemo day - that exhausting without any side effects!

• Upvote 7
  • Love 4

6 minutes ago, Syriana said:

They do, hugely!  Chemo can be tablets you take at home for a certain number of days per cycle, several days as an in-patient per cycle and pretty much everything in between.  I think Anna said she was at the facility for about 7 hours on chemo day - that exhausting without any side effects!

Yes, it is.  Fortunately I've never had cancer, but several years ago due to severe anemia I had to undergo 10 weeks of iron infusions in order to get my counts up high enough for surgery.  Due my tolerance being a prissy pain in the ass I had the slowest drip of all time and each infusion was about 3 hours.  

These were done in the chemo center, so I'd be in there with about 10 other people undergoing their treatment.  Trust me, I never complained about mine there, even when I was vomiting, because I knew they were going through so much worse.  

Point being I agree just the process of being in there for so long and seeing others who are hurting and scared absolutely can be exhausting without side effects.  

My faith is such I assume most people go to heaven as the default so I just felt compassion for their current suffering, but the added worry of if these fellow travellers were going to hell I would have been a total mess.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 12

11 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'll give her a pass on this, they are all she has.  

She also has a dog...which is a HUGH positive in her life. I’m actually surprised her dad allows pets!

• Upvote 8

5 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

She also has a dog...which is a HUGH positive in her life. I’m actually surprised her dad allows pets!

I wonder if he would have if he'd known he wasn't going to see $1200 a pup every so often.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 9

6 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I was surprised about her getting a dog also. 

• Upvote 7

Why? The family had a previous well loved  dog for many years and of course they have their kitty Arnold as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic