IGNORED

Maxwell 37: The Moody Family Buys Matching Vests to Wear to Jesse's Wedding

Coconut Flan

7 hours ago, SPHASH said:

New post up. Happy Mother's Day to Teri, WME (worst mother ever).

I almost feel bad agreeing with this. Now don't get me wrong, I do agree with it. However, I almost feel bad as she was suffering through untreated depression and forced to keep having children because of something her husband decided without consulting her. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, ElizaB said:

I almost feel bad agreeing with this. Now don't get me wrong, I do agree with it. However, I almost feel bad as she was suffering through untreated depression and forced to keep having children because of something her husband decided without consulting her. 

I know it's not all Teri's fault thanks to Steve but she has done many ragey things, throwing Sarah under the bus with that awful birthday post last year, teaching her daughters to judge people by what they wear, cancelling the kid's birthday parties if they acted selfish, not standing up to Steve.

Edited by SPHASH
ETA
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

10 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

I know it's not all Teri's fault thanks to Steve but she has done many ragey things, throwing Sarah under the bus with that awful birthday post last year, teaching her daughters to judge people by what they wear, cancelling the kid's birthday parties if they acted selfish, not standing up to Steve.

And that is why I almost feel bad

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

The silence is deafening on Jesse's engagement. 

Regarding the mothers day post, back in the moms' board days, Teri posted that god made the children forget when she was depressed and how bad things were. They are all so fucking brainwashed that they are continuing to drinking their own flavor aid. (Nerd note)

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Dru said:

Regarding the mothers day post, back in the moms' board days, Teri posted that god made the children forget when she was depressed and how bad things were. They are all so fucking brainwashed that they are continuing to drinking their own flavor aid. (Nerd note)

From how Sarah writes the mother character in the Moody books, that's so clearly not true. She is seriously delusional. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8

19 hours ago, ignorantobserver said:

It's really depressing how the younger generation feels the need to publicly praise their parents to the skies. That way of communicating seems so weird to me. I love my parents, they are good parents and good people and worked very hard to give us children a good start in life - but I would never feel compelled to gush about them on social media, and I definetely wouldn't share personal details with strangers to "prove" what great parents I have. What a strange world. Judging by how much they publicly adore their parents, they must secretly hate them. They just have to. I can't see how adult women can be this submissive to their aging, tyrannical father without spending every night thinking about how to poison him.

They live a life on display. Or, did when the dog & pony show was happening. And the years leading up to it. Basically, they are programmed to give a presentation (seminar/session/blessing/whateverthefucktheywanttocallit) with & for every single thing in life. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, anjulibai said:

From how Sarah writes the mother character in the Moody books, that's so clearly not true. She is seriously delusional. 

Oh, I agree 100%. The kids are brainwashed enough to go along with it on the surface, but it leaks out on the edges. 

• Upvote 6

On 5/9/2020 at 1:10 PM, Black Aliss said:

Oh, the irony!

I certainly hope that includes homeschooling them in Physics and AP Calculus.  Well, not the girls, of course. They only need to know how to dust, polish, and make a month's supply of bean burritos at one go.

What interests me is they live sooooo close to me! Wilmington and Cedarville are both super close and i didn't even know they were there ?

• Upvote 1

How did they get control over all 8? The same way thousands of people across the world are gradually groomed. Starting small, digging deep, constant pressure through guilt, making people feel they only belong with them by knocking down their self worth.....

They played on their children’s natural emotions. Took them out of sports by taking them out and crying at them. Daddy Tapes so they could listen to Steve when they weren’t with him. No Tv, no birthday parties, no news, no real church. Taking them out to judge people (airport trip). Constant belittling of the world around them. 
Basically just everyday - the world is bad, everyone outside our family is bad apart from a few select people and we will tell you who they are. Anyone who doesn’t dress like us is bad. 

Has anyone seen the Westboro Baptist Church documentaries with Louis Theroux? They go deep into the church, and you realise that everyone within has been brainwashed to believe that only they will be going to Heaven and that’s what the children are told everyday. The children expressed fear of being next to leave because that means they’re damned to Hell. I can see exactly the same going on in the Maxwell house. Emotional blackmail. You obey us or you clearly don’t love us.

The FLDS - taught to believe that those outside their world will hurt them. I’ve read accounts from women who have left who were raised to believe men outside the city will rape them immediately unless they stay with daddy. Now I don’t necessarily believe Steve has told his daughters this directly, but quite honestly I think he has made them afraid of all men. They believe that if they don’t wear a dress, men will stare at them and sin. I don’t know if they translate this into attack but it wouldn’t surprise me.

I remember a post by Anna about college. She stated “why would I want to undo the work my parents have done to shelter and protect me”. I think she’s been scared too. She’s been raised travelling, however she’s been told that they travel as ministries and saviours to the lost, so she’s special, and been raised to look down on the rest of the world.

Any child who demonstrated a bit of rebellion and independent thinking was put straight. I imagine physical beating and physiological torture. I think those kids were all abused to some extent. That’s how they stayed in line.

3 adult women on bunk beds in mommy and daddy’s house working about 3 hours a day (“serving” family by babysitting does not count) is not right. I have no issue staying at home while you save (I moved back home at 22 for three years to save money) but I worked full time and didn’t have to explain where I was or ask permission - I just had to respect the family home (and not bring random men back, not that I would want to have fun with my dad in the next room - it’s a small house!)

Long dragged out brain washing is how they did it. Emotional blackmail. Physical punishment. Beating down their spirits. Not educating them in a worthwhile fashion. And scaring the shit out of them. That’s how.

I know Teri suffers from depression but to be honest the damage that she is also responsible for with those “kids” is awful and she is just as much to blame as Steve. They are terrible parents

• Upvote 27
  • I Agree 5

It’s not just the younger fundies whose lives have been on display and are taught to constantly honor their parents. I’m in my 20s and I can’t tell you how many people I follow on social media made Mother's Day posts for moms that don’t even have social media. These are all mid 20s, college educated, not brainwashed, normal people making long tributes to their parents just so that other people could read it. I have a terrible relationship with both my mom and stepmom, so I just angrily scrolled through them all. I just don’t get the competition aspect. Why do you need to post something when the intended will never see it? Just so other people know you have the most amazing mom on the face of the planet? It just seems so disingenuous. Maybe I’m just jealous and bitter but I really don’t get posting long emotional tributes to anyone instead of just telling them or putting it in a card. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

2 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

It’s not just the younger fundies whose lives have been on display and are taught to constantly honor their parents. I’m in my 20s and I can’t tell you how many people I follow on social media made Mother's Day posts for moms that don’t even have social media. These are all mid 20s, college educated, not brainwashed, normal people making long tributes to their parents just so that other people could read it. I have a terrible relationship with both my mom and stepmom, so I just angrily scrolled through them all. I just don’t get the competition aspect. Why do you need to post something when the intended will never see it? Just so other people know you have the most amazing mom on the face of the planet? It just seems so disingenuous. Maybe I’m just jealous and bitter but I really don’t get posting long emotional tributes to anyone instead of just telling them or putting it in a card. 

I think mileage varries on this - when it's sincere and not doing it to promote a brand I like reading them.

I'm sorry you didn't have what you needed from your mom  - everyone deserves that.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

43 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

Frankly, I understand this viewpoint, and I have a great relationship with my parents ! But they are private people, and it would just feel wrong to publicly talk about emotions or share private memories. Also - and this is really important - they have done other thing besides raising children. Their achievements in life, especially my mother's, are not limited to their role as parents, and I would be afraid of hurting their feelings. Besides, publicly praising their parenting would feel patronising.

Our cultural sensibilities might be diverging on this topic. I can't remember any of my non-American friends ever posting compliments to their parents on Mother's Day or their birthdays. It just isn't as common among the people I know, and might therefore seem stranger to me than it actually is. Chalk it up to European cold-heartedness !

• Upvote 12

34 minutes ago, ignorantobserver said:

Chalk it up to European cold-heartedness !

Or  simply different styles.  It would never occur to me to look at Facebook on any holiday.  My family tells me to my face or in today's world on the phone on the day and by the things they do every day.   Not everyone tries to live their life on social media even in the US.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I think mileage varries on this - when it's sincere and not doing it to promote a brand I like reading them.

I agree.

Several of my FB friends who have lost their moms put pictures of their moms up and wrote a little about them.  I enjoyed reading those, and felt most of them were nice tributes.

Edited by kpmom
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

On 5/11/2020 at 8:57 AM, ignorantobserver said:

I have no idea whatsoever. If I had to get that level of absolute control over my children, I would raise them somewhere in a remote location and teach them that there is an ongoing zombie apocalypse outside and we are the only humans left. I recently saw The Village and liked it very much, especially the young adult's innocence. Their love for games that we would find childish is something that several posters here have observed in young adults in fundie families.

Absolute control over every information the children are exposed to seems to be the best bet - but the Maxwells are not living in an isolated cult, they are aware of the existence of an outside world. The best explanation I can come up with is that the Maxwell parents got a lucky break with their children's personality. In mainstream society, some young people, given the option, are quite happy to spend their life with their parents without ever venturing outside their social circle or place of birth. Today, this behaviour is often ridiculed, or economically unfeasible, so it's not as common as it used to be. But in a differently structured society - and the Maxwells certainly are one - you might find quite a few adults who are willing to stay dependent on their parents.

No wonder many Fundies are so eager for the Evil West to face Judgement so they can more easily control their families from the comfort of their prepper cabins.

As if they'd last two months without the outside world they're so eager to decry.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

I like reading Mother’s Day / birthday posts from my friends for the simple reason that I care about my friends, and they care about these people, so by extension I care about those people. It’s the same reason that I feel sad when a friends relative died, even when I didn’t know them. I want to know about what is going on in my friends lives, I want to know about people important to them.

I love my mom and I say that to her daily and to the internet once in awhile. I acknowledge that for some of my friends, Mother’s Day is incredibly hard and triggering, so I check in with those people individually and make sure they’re okay. I had/have a horrible, abusive, ptsd-leave-me-alone relationship with people in certain roles in my life, and yeah, when I see others praising their (X) it makes me bitter and jealous as heck. That’s why I have therapy, honestly, to work through that. I don’t know that I’ll ever stop being jealous, but I can acknowledge the jealousy and be glad that my loved ones have good relationships with their (X.) 

I always feel like these fundies should be saying happy Mother’s Day to their sister moms. They did more kid raising than many of the actual mothers.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

On 5/11/2020 at 1:20 AM, Dru said:

That's funny--mine sure haven't! They remember, believe me. Unlike Terri I got every form of help out there to get better.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 8

7 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

That's funny--mine sure haven't! They remember, believe me. Unlike Terri I got every form of help out there to get better.

Glad you got the help you needed. Terri would never get the help she needed because Steve is an ass and would never allow her to get help.  

• Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Glad you got the help you needed. Terri would never get the help she needed because Steve is an ass and would never allow her to get help.  

What is really sad about this is how much of a difference the proper treatment for depression can make. I'm not saying it makes things perfect or its easy; however, the proper treatment would have changed their lives drastically. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

18 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Of course, I was allowed to drink Pepsi [ok, Diet Dr Pepper]. But meds help soooooooooooooo much!

• Thank You 1
  • Love 8

@Dru, Teri may *think* her kids “forgot” about her depression, but it’s blatantly obvious in the character of Mrs. Moody, at least in the one free Moody book they made available. Mom Moody spends most of her time alone in her room “reading the Bible,” and only half-heartedly plays a game of hide and seek with the rest of the family. When the oldest Moody daughter decides to start a baking business, Mom wanders into the kitchen and offers a few lukewarm words of support, then drifts away. It would have been the perfect opportunity to help her inexperienced daughter learn to bake, but this is Maxhell we’re talking about.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Hane said:

@Dru, Teri may *think* her kids “forgot” about her depression, but it’s blatantly obvious in the character of Mrs. Moody, at least in the one free Moody book they made available. Mom Moody spends most of her time alone in her room “reading the Bible,” and only half-heartedly plays a game of hide and seek with the rest of the family. When the oldest Moody daughter decides to start a baking business, Mom wanders into the kitchen and offers a few lukewarm words of support, then drifts away. It would have been the perfect opportunity to help her inexperienced daughter learn to bake, but this is Maxhell we’re talking about.

Absolutely she is showing a depressed Mom, but one who had back-up to make sure meals were on time, laundry done, homework [homeschool] supervised, baths got taken and bed time stories read with cocoa. Yet, see what all was rememebered?? It's Mom's attitude that sets the tone for the family.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

I believe Mrs Moody had a long nap every afternoon too? From the extracts I read.....and the children had the option to clean, do bible memory or finish school work while she slept. And the consequences of things going wrong (I believe in one they got punished for knocking water over on the garage floor or something like that) were from Mr Moody when he got home. I imagine that was their childhood summed up.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 3

Mother's Day recap up.

It looks like social distancing is over for the Maxwells.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic