IGNORED

Maxwell 37: The Moody Family Buys Matching Vests to Wear to Jesse's Wedding

Coconut Flan

13 hours ago, freejugar said:

It seems Ruthanne was really into the game, and it's a shame her long skirt seems to hold her back: she can't take wide steps and like people have said, she has to be careful not to step into the hem. It sucks that she can't play comfortably cause she might defraud men.

So sick, when you think about it, that these people have rules like that for little girls!  If some perverted man is defrauded by a child, that's on him, not the little girl! 

On 4/20/2020 at 2:35 PM, LilMissMetaphor said:

But not Sarah.  Sar-RAh RAe is awful.

I agree.  

it does not flow well at all.  

Edited by JulineD
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

17 hours ago, Paperplate said:

Rose would have been such a pretty middle name for Sarah. Sarah Rose sounds like a cosmetics line for older women but still pretty, I think.

Sarah Rose will always conjure up this in my head. 

Spoiler

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Which is ironic since his birth name is Bargar.

I think it makes sense. He CHOSE the name Maxwell. It was HIS doing. HE decided at whatever point to entirely remake his existence, and the name helped solidify that. HE did it; HE created "Steve Maxwell", therefore, HE can create/do any damn thing his mind can come up with. 

• Upvote 22

11 hours ago, JulineD said:

So sick, when you think about it, that these people have rules like that for little girls!  If some perverted man is defrauded by a child, that's on him, not the little girl! 

Skirts on little girls are not only a matter of modesty. It is also a way to keep them out of sports and make them quieter. Yes, there are "tomboys" that climb trees in a dress, but let's be sincere, they are a minority.

Even regular dresses and skirts, if worn without leggings, prevent the girls of doing the same as the boys. Also, girls learn early that their underwear must not be seen, and it makes them even quieter when wearing dresses. That's why femenine school uniforms have been critisized: how can a school argue that the education is not sexist, if girls are not as free to move as boys? And why must girls be afraid of showing their underwear (when climbing or jumping) while boys don't even think of that because pants show nothing?

Often, people say "girls and boys behave differently". Of course they do, it's what they are teached since they are babies. Clothes are powerful.

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 6

51 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I think it makes sense. He CHOSE the name Maxwell. It was HIS doing. HE decided at whatever point to entirely remake his existence, and the name helped solidify that. HE did it; HE created "Steve Maxwell", therefore, HE can create/do any damn thing his mind can come up with. 

I didn’t realize that. I thought Maxwell was Steve’s birth last name. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I didn’t realize that. I thought Maxwell was Steve’s birth last name. 

It's his step-father's last name, I believe. His heathen mother, the one he let rot in a nursing home, was divorced & remarried.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

His birth father left the family when Steve was a teenager to be with another woman.  Steve has written about it a few times, and it was obviously a very traumatic experience for him.

I've often wondered if that led to his very controlling and hyper religious behavior.

• Upvote 18
  • Thank You 1

12 minutes ago, kpmom said:

His birth father left the family when Steve was a teenager to be with another woman.  Steve has written about it a few times, and it was obviously a very traumatic experience for him.

I've often wondered if that led to his very controlling and hyper religious behavior.

I think it did!  I think he wanted to prove he wasn’t like his father. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

I thought it was the step-father that left the family. At the very least, I believe his mom had two divorces. 

Steve really has a lot of issues. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

27 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I thought it was the step-father that left the family. At the very least, I believe his mom had two divorces. 

Steve really has a lot of issues. 

My understanding was his birth father (Bargar) left the family for another woman.  His Stepfather (Maxwell) adopted Steve after he married Steve's mother.  I don't know if that ended in divorce too.  Possibly.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, freejugar said:

Anna has posted an update on her treatment. If she's lost her hair does that mean it's real chemo?

I think so. 

• Upvote 8

She didn't say it was a side affect - she said she'd talk about it later, or something. I'm betting it's expected to come out and she pre-emptively cut/shaved it. Maybe to donate or something? 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

On 4/21/2020 at 11:21 PM, usmcmom said:

So, apparently, Steve does not really believe in:

Genesis 2:24  Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

I have been thinking of this recently as we discussed all the sons living so close to Steve’s house. Regardless of how they might be distancing themselves from Steve’s much stricter beliefs (as in, clothing, friendships, etc) those men still cannot distance themselves, physically, from their parents. It doesn’t seem very manly to me - at least not in the way these fundies want us to think of the word. I don’t care if they are “business owners” and live a debt free life. If they can’t leave Daddy’s compound, they have not been raised to be very strong in their faith.  Nor have they been raised to be strong, independent adults who should he able to run their households without the constant monitoring and input from parents.  Meanwhile, their wives (the so-called weaker sex) have been expected to start a whole new life far from family, in a very isolated manner of living. So, the women leave and cleave but the men do not. 

I agree, and actually a lot of the things they do make me think their faith is so weak. It’s all the accountability issues. No one can go out alone so that they can be held accountable. Well the if you can’t trust an adult child to be alone you clearly haven’t raised them well! Why do those girls all share a bedroom??? To be held accountable! Why can’t they move out (male and female) until marriage? Accountability! No time with future spouse because of accountability. It contradicts everything they say about raising Godly children by doing things their way when they clearly have no faith in their children, or each other.

I always remember two classmates from university. Both active Christians, were housed together. Started dating. Realised it went against their faith to live together before marriage so removed temptation by living apart the final year and then married soon after. That to me was a testament of faith and clearly headstrong Christians, who had been trusted and allowed to go to mainstream college, made their own choices and still kept the faith and morals they had been raised in.

Total opposite to the fundies like the Maxwells.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

45 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

She didn't say it was a side affect - she said she'd talk about it later, or something. I'm betting it's expected to come out and she pre-emptively cut/shaved it. Maybe to donate or something? 

Sometimes women about to undergo chemo will cut their hair or even shave it beforehand as it can be less traumatic than to have it fall out.  She may have donated it or she possibly could saved it to have had a wig made for herself.  That is, if the hair is in healthy shape.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Sometimes women about to undergo chemo will cut their hair or even shave it beforehand as it can be less traumatic than to have it fall out.  She may have donated it or she possibly could saved it to have had a wig made for herself.  That is, if the hair is in healthy shape.

Yes, some women prefer to be in control of when their hair falls out and shave it themselves...others want to hang onto whatever hair they have as long as they possibly can. To each his - or her - own, I say. I also knew someone who started chemo and found the "falling out" stage to be incredibly painful - she got someone to buzz off all that was left and the pain stopped immediately. 

If she was going to donate it, though, I would think she would've done it all at once when she lopped off the first foot or two (around the time of the surgery in NY.) Unless she's planning on having a wig made from her own hair, and wanted multiple clippings. From looking into donating to Locks of Love (Wigs for Kids turned out to be a much better organization, BTW) it seems the "tails" from multiple donors are used to make a single wig. She probably had enough hair on her own head to salvage three cuttings, and I seem to remember (probably back in the Yuku days) that someone who knew her personally came on here and said that her hair was incredibly thick and heavy, and the only way she could avoid getting headaches from it was to keep it all tucked into a bun. So she's got a lot to work with, and if they have the means to have a wig made from her hair, that's probably the least painful way for everyone to deal with her hair loss.

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I think it did!  I think he wanted to prove he wasn’t like his father. 

And by trying to be so very different, he turned out to be an even bigger douche. 

• Upvote 14

34 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

And by trying to be so very different, he turned out to be an even bigger douche. 

He definitely did! 

• Upvote 5

“There are many opportunities to visit with other chemo patients and nurses during that time. I have been encouraged by the faith and hope of many, but there are definitely some hurting people who need the Lord Jesus.”

So not all your fellow chemo patients who feel like crap and nurses doing their very important And highly technical job wanted to pray with you so they must need Jesus...ffs. There’s a time and place. The last person who randomly approached me and told me Jesus had a plan for me while I was in a hospital bed got told to leave or I would call security 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 7

I expect it varies person to person and by dosage but my hair started coming loose so I could pull bits out in clumps 2 weeks after starting chemo.

I kinda liked shaving my head (though also like to grow it out until it's getting close to my eyes sometimes) so now I shave it really close every few months.  Saves time and money on haircuts too.  And avoids social interaction, which turned out to be super convenient at the moment!

On 4/21/2020 at 10:47 PM, anachronistic said:

They can’t be allowed to play ‘the floor is lava’, it must be a brand new, made up game. Because if they talked about lava that might lead to talk of volcanoes, which might lead to geology or history, which might lead to dinosaurs, which might lead to the realization that the earth is not 2000 years old.

2000?  So, Jesus created the world when he was born on Christmas day? :P

But actually, creationists generally rather like dinosaurs and volcanoes etc.

• Upvote 11

9 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

How very Self-Fulfilling Prophecy. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

“There are many opportunities to visit with other chemo patients and nurses during that time. I have been encouraged by the faith and hope of many, but there are definitely some hurting people who need the Lord Jesus.”

So not all your fellow chemo patients who feel like crap and nurses doing their very important And highly technical job wanted to pray with you so they must need Jesus...ffs. There’s a time and place. The last person who randomly approached me and told me Jesus had a plan for me while I was in a hospital bed got told to leave or I would call security 

Oh, I must have skimmed over that full statement - I remember reading the beginning but apparently didn't go all the way to the end. If I were having chemo and someone was proselytizing, I wouldn't even bother with security (unless necessary, of course). I'd tell that f*cker where to go, 

How horrible of a person do you have to be - even if you think otherwise - to walk around a chemo ward telling vulnerable people possibly in pain, nauseous, whatever....just plain sick & suffering - that they need your god? That is emotional manipulation and preying on the weak. 

If she's doing that it would 100% change my opinion of her. I know she has horrible beliefs, but she has always been one of the few fundies who seem uniquely and entirely suited to her life and "role". I was happy for her happiness. But, if she's taking advantage of people in a terrible situation....damn, that just really, really, really pisses me off. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 4

Once again, I’m struck by how much better a writer NR-Anna is than Poor Sarah The Published Novelist.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

I'm glad she is happy and content being with family. I still will never understand why she decided to relocate for treatment. That is something she will probably explain later but in the meantime her children are in good hands. Don't agree with their upbringing, but it's all they know. Hoping treatments go well with no infections or other health issues.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

One of the things my dad appreciated about the “group chemo”* was the informal support group where he could commiserate with others or try to make them laugh or talk about how shitty the side effects were. Instead of taking the opportunity to build friends and find out others are scared or hopeful or whatever, she’s evangelizing for 7-8 hours every week. Lovely ? 

If I were another patient there I’d be pissed because her evangelizing probably shuts people done from talking about real life things, too, and talking about different coping skills. Eta: for the sake of the next 12 weeks I hope one of the other patients calls her out on her too jesusy behavior and she becomes the one who doesn’t want to talk rather than her shutting down others from feeling comfortable enough to open up.

* he had the option of being in a large room with several other people and chose that relather than one of the private rooms

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic