IGNORED

Maxwell 37: The Moody Family Buys Matching Vests to Wear to Jesse's Wedding

Coconut Flan

I'm hoping she's only commenting on people needing Jesus in the blog post and not actively bothering people during the actual chemo sessions.  My neighbor does that telling me that people need Jesus more than ever right now, but she isn't out trying to convert anyone. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

5 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I'm hoping she's only commenting on people needing Jesus in the blog post and not actively bothering people during the actual chemo sessions.  My neighbor does that telling me that people need Jesus more than ever right now, but she isn't out trying to convert anyone. 

That was my first thought too. 
Still, the statement came across as very judgmental to me; as though she listened to somebody’s story and automatically concluded that they were in need of saving. I didn’t take it that she was evangelizing, but just silently judging. ?

• Upvote 13

10 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Still, the statement came across as very judgmental to me; as though she listened to somebody’s story and automatically concluded that they were in need of saving. I didn’t take it that she was evangelizing, but just silently judging. ?

That's how it read to me, too.  That she was silently pitying people who were afraid without the peace she has.

My mom didn't evangelize, but she had that inner peace throughout her battle with cancer until the end.  Not that she'd get better, but because of her faith she wasn't afraid of dying...although she was at time afraid of the pain.  

If Anna is being honest in what she shared with how at peace she is with her journey she is far less freaked out than the average person would be.  Hopefully this is just her speaking about her thoughts and she's not actually annoying people.  Although, most places I know of would shut that down if she were to do that, they try to keep it a calm environment for everyone.

• Upvote 10

32 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I'm hoping she's only commenting on people needing Jesus in the blog post and not actively bothering people during the actual chemo sessions.

This hadn’t occurred to me. Hopefully this is what’s going on!

• Upvote 4

I read it as her saying there were a lot of "hurting" as in suffering people who needed Jesus right now because of all that they were going through. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

6 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

I read it as her saying there were a lot of "hurting" as in suffering people who needed Jesus right now because of all that they were going through. 

I read her comment as basically this as well. There's no indication she's going around preaching Jesus at everyone. I picture her more as just chatting with others as she and they feel up to it, and her getting a sense of their beliefs within their conversations, then later praying for them. She may well bring the subject up as she gets to know them, but for some reason I still don't think she'd be obnoxious about it.

Stevehovah, on the other hand, would start right in asking people in the throes of chemo if they know where they're going when they die. :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2

IIRC Anna chose the chemo centre she chose because of it's Biblical slant. If my memory is correct then they probably have a select population of people - people who actually might appreciate some preaching since they chose this centre for just that purpose. 

This being said here is my favourite reaction by a patient to a visiting preacher/minister. The patient was an elderly woman. She  was asleep and the preacher person* came over to her bedside and started in with some prayer. She woke up 1/2 way through and he stopped praying and politely asked "can I do anything for you dear" and she said " you can kiss my ass" and rolled over, farted and went back to sleep. I was seeing the other patient in the room and I had to leave because this made me laugh so hard.

* the patient's nurse later told me the woman's daughter had asked the preacher/minister to come in and see her mother

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 13
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

I didn't read it as judgmental, but I may be projecting from when my friend went through chemo.  I remember that friend saying something very similar to me (although it wasn't Jesus related, similar principle though) but it wasn't about judgment, it was about her wishing they had something which brought them comfort when they were so clearly terrified and in pain (physical and emotional) - she just used what helped her as the frame of reference.  

• Upvote 8

49 minutes ago, browngrl said:

* the patient's nurse later told me the woman's daughter had asked the preacher/minister to come in and see her mother

That actually kind of sucks for the minister if he was asked to be there and given the impression he was welcome.

Idk - I wouldn't like it if I woke up and somene was praying over me (although as a Catholic I'd be super freaked out by last rites) but I'd just ask them to stop.  This just seems different than someone Godbothering out of the blue to me.

• Upvote 8

I hope I read it wrong, but given the Maxwell penchant for evangelizing - Steve said the COVID-19 situation is an opportunity, after all - I am not entirely sure. But I will choose to see it as you all have - as her either silently judging or just plain thinking someone needs Jesus.

• Upvote 9

There was something about the matching hats Abigail made that really moved me...what a lovely thing to do.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 6

I sure tf hope that Anna wasn't preaching to other patients getting chemo.  Captive audience + pandemic.  Shouldn't they all be in masks and trying to stay far apart?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

Anyone read's Stevehovah's latest "seriously"? 

It reinforces my opinion of their proselytizing. He seems to be harping on the subject lately. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

Anyone read's Stevehovah's latest "seriously"? 

It reinforces my opinion of their proselytizing. He seems to be harping on the subject lately. 

The one before it seems to advocate making an idol out of joylessness and misery, which given that it's warning against idolatry is somewhat ironic.  Having read the 2 in sequence I'm ever more thankful that we have the Priests we have in our parish (none of whom subscribe to the principle of removing all pleasure to serve God).

• Upvote 4

I'm so relieved it's looking like real chemo. 

I also understand why she went back to her parents for it. Of course she keeps sweet publicly but not wanting the cyborg maxwell around while she's hurting makes plenty of sense. This way she doesn't have to be smiling and child raising 24/7 and gets her own family supporting her instead. Win/win. It'll be hard on her kids but seeing a parent be unwell would have been hard too. 

I wish her strength. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 6

13 minutes ago, Foudeb said:

I also understand why she went back to her parents for it. Of course she keeps sweet publicly but not wanting the cyborg maxwell around while she's hurting makes plenty of sense. This way she doesn't have to be smiling and child raising 24/7 and gets her own family supporting her instead. Win/win. It'll be hard on her kids but seeing a parent be unwell would have been hard too. 

I wish her strength. 

I have been thinking this^^^.  My dear friend found out 3 months PP that she was stage 3... In addition to her baby she has a 5 year old and (3) 3 year olds.... her parents had the kids so much of the time b/c treatment is draining.. and young kids are rambunctious and don't realize mommy has ports, and incisions, and nausea and frustration..... At her parents she has her baby and they are both being pampered.. while her older children are living their normal day to day existence... I am sure she has peace with their care and education and she can bond with baby. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 3

18 minutes ago, Syriana said:

The one before it seems to advocate making an idol out of joylessness and misery, which given that it's warning against idolatry is somewhat ironic.  Having read the 2 in sequence I'm ever more thankful that we have the Priests we have in our parish (none of whom subscribe to the principle of removing all pleasure to serve God).

In the related posts I read the one where he discusses the reveral.  Goes into depth about how he came to the conclusion that despite Teri's depression God told him to have more children...but not a word of discussing it with her or her thoughts on that.  Very telling.

• Upvote 4
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 5
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Foudeb said:

We also don't know whether Chris is a decent human being or a huge douche. If Anna knew that if she stayed in Kansas for chemo he'd expect her to carry on with her responsibilities no matter how awful she was feeling, heading to Washington for treatment might have been an act of self-preservation.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4

1 minute ago, Black Aliss said:

We also don't know whether Chris is a decent human being or a huge douche. If Anna knew that if she stayed in Kansas for chemo he'd expect her to carry on with her responsibilities no matter how awful she was feeling, heading to Washington for treatment might have been an act of self-preservation.

Even if he is decent, which is a crapshoot given his parents, it still makes sense to me.  I think it's human nature to want to put on a brave face for your kids and keep things as normal as possible in front of them.  Being away means she can control what they see and allow herself to rest and be cared for without having to worry about comforting them during this difficult time for her.  

If I were in her shoes I think it's what I'd do, even if my husband was wonderful.  

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Even if he is decent, which is a crapshoot given his parents, it still makes sense to me.  I think it's human nature to want to put on a brave face for your kids and keep things as normal as possible in front of them.  Being away means she can control what they see and allow herself to rest and be cared for without having to worry about comforting them during this difficult time for her.  

If I were in her shoes I think it's what I'd do, even if my husband was wonderful.  

I agree with this. I also think she might just want to be around her parents - maybe she wants her mom? I am in my 30s and had a serious bike accident a few years ago, and my first thought was "I want my mom." Not my partner of 10 years, my mom. I don't even like my mom 70% of the time. And I knew on a logical level that it would be more trouble than it's worth. But sometimes, even grown ups with kids just want their mom when they are sick or hurting. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 7

I rather think Anna would carry on with household and mothering responsibilities regardless of her feeling terrible because she see’s this as her God appointed role and could not imagine things any other way . She has been taught this way from infancy. If Chris one day had personality transplant and started doing regular cooking , cleaning, laundry and infant care she would be most  confused, perturbed and unhappy .  

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

I wonder if Anna feels left out and lonely listening to the other patients. Most christians still watch some tv and read books and hear the news. 

I have spent a lot of time being the visitor at the hospital and I’m always guided by the patient on what to talk about. If they want to be serious then I am but I often find they want to talk about anything other than their health. Even though I have never watched an episode of the Kardashians I once spent an hour ( she was waiting for her next pain pill ) discussing them and their hair and clothes. The patient wanted frivolous conversations to get her mind off her pain. 

The Maxwells don’t do frivolous so Anna has no frame of reference to simply chat about anything that crosses your mind and find some relief. 

• Upvote 17

From what I’ve read of current hospital protocols it won’t matter if she wants to evangelize or not, patients are kept one to a room, never seeing anyone but one nurse and one doctor, no visitors or hospital chaplains or anyone. They can maybe take 1 support person with them but only if it’s really necessary. They are trying to minimize exposure and possible infections, and since we don’t know so much about covid19 the medical establishment is doing everything they can.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1

Oh, wait, I read her post, and I don’t understand the visiting with other patients thing, but I guess they’re more relaxed there for whatever reason. Personally I find it hard to have conversations with someone when we are masked up and 6 feet apart but maybe it’s different there. I’m glad that other people give her comfort even as I think it’s not a good decision. Doesn’t social distancing apply in hospitals? 

• Upvote 6

21 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Maybe I am just cutting her some slack, but I found her comment to be less judgemental, and more compassionate.  That people are suffering and need comfort.  For her, the only comfort allowed is a very narrow understanding of Jesus.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic