IGNORED

Alyssa & John 5: She's Raising Fashion Conscious Girls

HerNameIsBuffy

My husband and I were home for 2 weeks due to him having some suspicious clinical signs.  We both have essential jobs so we're back at it for the past 2 weeks, but I tried to get dressed in something I felt good in every day for our daily drive around town to catch some pokemon from the safety of our closed vehicle.  He initially asked me why I was putting on jeans and boots and I let him know it's because I wanted to feel good about myself even if he was the only person seeing me (I have recently lost about 60lbs).  After that he made sure to comment on how good I looked, haha, not that I needed it.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 24

I was shocked to see Alyssa going shopping with the girls.  I've seen so many posts on social media from supermarket workers in the last few weeks asking people to please not bring their whole family shopping, to limit it to one person so the supermarkets don't get so crowded and people can keep a proper distance between them. And also so it doesn't take so long -- they are asking people to get in and out as fast as possible, and to buy essentials only. I get that some people have no choice, but Alyssa and John sure do, and to post a video about it is just so tone deaf. 

Re: getting dressed to stay at home.  I work from home most of the time because I hate having to get dressed in the morning so this just seems perverse to me. But I get that everyone is different, and that having a routine is important. If I don't get my morning routine of coffee, news reading, and cleaning, I feel kind of lost all day. But if, like me, getting yourself ready for the outside world is something you find stressful and unpleasant and only do so people will treat you decently, doing it at home is not going to help you feel less depressed, I promise. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I was shocked to see Alyssa going shopping with the girls.  I've seen so many posts on social media from supermarket workers in the last few weeks asking people to please not bring their whole family shopping, to limit it to one person so the supermarkets don't get so crowded and people can keep a proper distance between them. And also so it doesn't take so long -- they are asking people to get in and out as fast as possible, and to buy essentials only. I get that some people have no choice, but Alyssa and John sure do, and to post a video about it is just so tone deaf. 

Re: getting dressed to stay at home.  I work from home most of the time because I hate having to get dressed in the morning so this just seems perverse to me. But I get that everyone is different, and that having a routine is important. If I don't get my morning routine of coffee, news reading, and cleaning, I feel kind of lost all day. But if, like me, getting yourself ready for the outside world is something you find stressful and unpleasant and only do so people will treat you decently, doing it at home is not going to help you feel less depressed, I promise. 

Alyssa is definetely acting pretty careless. I suposse her husband is still working but she could just wait till he is home to go shopping, no need to go with the 3 girls that are going to be touching everything in the store.

One would think that having a heart condition she would be more cautious about the virus!

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5

3 hours ago, llucie said:

One would think that having a heart condition she would be more cautious about the virus!

One would think, but then, she’s an idiot.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 5

The woman who buys the Webster daughter’s dresses bought Allie Jane a $45 watch. This relationship is so creepy. Alyssa needs to take the time for some serious self reflection. Too bad she won’t.

I hope at the very least Alyssa uses a P.O. Box.

Spoiler

3F8C8A4E-9179-4055-8DDE-EC2E3D0C163F.thumb.jpeg.3d64ff880a07e55d9ab38b922b8a5952.jpeg

Spoiler

17E0EE8D-D157-4AC6-BE1A-C3F04647D6B2.thumb.jpeg.e2961e7ac14d762dbc6d50264cc07697.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 15
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

30 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

The woman who buys the Webster daughter’s dresses bought Allie Jane a $45 watch. This relationship is so creepy. Alyssa needs to take the time for some serious self reflection. Too bad she won’t.

I hope at the very least Alyssa uses a P.O. Box.

Hide contents

3F8C8A4E-9179-4055-8DDE-EC2E3D0C163F.thumb.jpeg.3d64ff880a07e55d9ab38b922b8a5952.jpeg

Hide contents

17E0EE8D-D157-4AC6-BE1A-C3F04647D6B2.thumb.jpeg.e2961e7ac14d762dbc6d50264cc07697.jpeg

The same woman was also tagged in Carlin’s Instagram story a couple days ago because she had gifted Carlin a chair that was in Layla’s nursery. The chair looked really nice and modern, like it was probably a little pricey. Her relationship with them is beyond weird. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 9
  • I Agree 6

I've always been a little confused by the relationship there. Is this person some sort of super fan and not someone the Bateses have ever actually met?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 4/10/2020 at 1:15 PM, clueliss said:

I watched this video  - um if it is supposed to be a 'reward' for good behavior in the store - why was that the first thing they did?  Yes, I know where the area is in Target.  First thing you get to.  But why call it a reward?  

I would be more impressed with John over his watching his own children while you shop alone than I am for his putting a giant bottle of hand sanitizer in your vehicle.  

You are not sanitizing etc just to protect others from you - you are doing it to protect yourselves.  (her verbiage bugged me for some reason)

Not to be a white knight but John was probably working. He is an ac tech and in Florida they work LONG hours. It's very hot and humid and people don't want to go without ac for a minute. I habe friends in the field and it's not uncommon for them to work until 9 at night on weekdays and take calls on weekends.

• Upvote 6

On 4/7/2020 at 8:23 PM, feministxtian said:

Working here...Grinch pajama pants, tank top, no bra, slippers. I have the TV on while I work. Did the video meeting early this morning. Was half awake, slugging coffee like a pro...

I've been working from home since March 16. I change at least once a day, but I'm in my nightgown usually with one of my cats, an 18-year-old, five-pound snugglebug named Miss Rue on my left side. If I need to Zoom/Skype, I pull a shawl over my shoulders. I do comb my hair.

Other than that, I have CNN and our governor's update at 5 (I'm in Kentucky) on in the background unless I'm on Skype/Zoom/the phone.

I'll probably need to put a shirt and makeup on for a Skype session this week.

Edited by sixcatatty
Added a thought
  • Upvote 7

5 hours ago, Kelsey said:

Not to be a white knight but John was probably working. He is an ac tech and in Florida they work LONG hours. It's very hot and humid and people don't want to go without ac for a minute. I habe friends in the field and it's not uncommon for them to work until 9 at night on weekdays and take calls on weekends.

But groceries can be bought online.

I know Alyssa loves going out, she must be getting crazy stucked at home with 3 little girls. BUT staying at home is what everybody is doing!!! And many people don't even have a garden.

• Upvote 11

9 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I know Alyssa loves going out, she must be getting crazy stucked at home with 3 little girls. BUT staying at home is what everybody is doing!!! And many people don't even have a garden.

I mostly agree with you. But groceries aren't widely available online, at least not easily. I attempted an online order again Friday night and first I had to stay up until 2am to get one of the pick up spots for Saturday. Then about 80% of what I had ordered wasn't available. I ended up having to go to the store anyway. Now, my kids are all old enough to stay home so it isn't a huge deal for now. But had this happened when they were younger I would have likely needed at least occasionally, since he wouldn't have been home from work when store are open. I would have done my best to get stuff done the one day a week he is off, but sometimes it just doesn't work as planned. 

That being said, it wouldn't shock me is Alyssa is not taking this seriously. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Not everywhere.  Last time I did shopping I wanted to do curb pickup and I couldn't get a date even for that earlier than 6 days out.  That's not even delivery - so it's not really an option unless you're so organized you can order a major shopping list over a week in advance.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Not everywhere.  Last time I did shopping I wanted to do curb pickup and I couldn't get a date even for that earlier than 6 days out.  That's not even delivery - so it's not really an option unless you're so organized you can order a major shopping list over a week in advance.  

Just piggy backing to say same here. We have Walmart and Kroger and with both they are solidly booked a week out. I don't even know when they open up the next available day, so not sure how late I'd have to stay up to try to get it. It's a mess. Thankfully both my husband and I are home, so at least just one of us could go. But I really feel for all the single parents out there. I can't imagine it's easy. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

We have two local companies that have been lifesavers. One is a local restaurant group who is still ordering from their suppliers, and then repackaging things in consumer-sized packages. They have all kinds of meats, fresh and frozen vegetables, pasta and other dry goods, even toilet paper, and it's all reasonably priced. You go onto their website, place your order, pay by credit card, drive up to the restaurant at your selected time, they put everything in your trunk, and away you go. 

The other is a local farmers market that has branched out to 4 stores. They have a drive-up option where each morning, they put their order form on their website. You print it, mark what you want, then when you get to the store, you pull into a line, they go get your groceries and put them in your trunk. They have portable chip-reader credit card machines, so you just stick the card in and don't touch the machine. They say the average order takes less than 10 minutes to fill and everyone we know who has used it has commented on how quick and easy it is. 

• Upvote 12

4 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Just piggy backing to say same here. We have Walmart and Kroger and with both they are solidly booked a week out. I don't even know when they open up the next available day, so not sure how late I'd have to stay up to try to get it. It's a mess. Thankfully both my husband and I are home, so at least just one of us could go. But I really feel for all the single parents out there. I can't imagine it's easy. 

Our Walmart releases times at midnight. I missed hitting checkout and lost my reservation because I fell asleep. I was able to get one for the next day. We are also back up to 5 days to schedule at a time. 

• Upvote 3

I’m in Wichita, Kansas and I’ve used Instacart twice for grocery delivery. Both times I picked fast and flexible for when my groceries would be delivered. The first time they were delivered the same day, mere hours after I placed the order. The other delivery was the next evening after I placed the order. From my experience, trying to get groceries for Saturday is more difficult than a weekday. HTH someone.

eta: When I tried to order directly from the store, the date for delivery or pickup was much longer.

Edited by Kailash
Added
  • Upvote 5

Dammit Alyssa -  Yesterday's Easter Sunday pics of the whole family just made me cringe - if not really despise you.  What the hell with the crying kids in so many?  Do we really need to see distressed Allie in so many of them?

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

Dammit Alyssa -  Yesterday's Easter Sunday pics of the whole family just made me cringe - if not really despise you.  What the hell with the crying kids in so many?  Do we really need to see distressed Allie in so many of them?

Those pictures are depressing. Poor Allie! At her age she could have been upset about a random thing that seemed small but was a big deal to her. Those are the kind of picture that make me give up on the taking pictures at that moment or try a plan B when the kid is in a better mood.

Edited by Ali
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

On 4/12/2020 at 1:38 AM, VineHeart137 said:

I've always been a little confused by the relationship there. Is this person some sort of super fan and not someone the Bateses have ever actually met?

She seems to be a fan. She is not even christian so i doubt she is a real friend. Would they be friends with a non-christian if she was not buying them stuff all the time? doubt it.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, llucie said:

She seems to be a fan. She is not even christian so i doubt she is a real friend. Would they be friends with a non-christian if she was not buying them stuff all the time? doubt it.

I'd be more likely to report someone like that the authorities than accept their gifts.  

It's a very unhealthy fixation on stranger's children.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'd be more likely to report someone like that the authorities than accept their gifts.  

It's a very unhealthy fixation on stranger's children.  

Honestly, it strikes me as a form of stalking.  Even if the "gifts" are not unwanted at this point.

Sure the outfits are cute and no doubt Alyssa doesn't mind the freebies because let's face it, she comes from a grifting family in part due to TV fame, so it probably seems normal to her.  And it stretches the money.  But somehow the creepy factor (and it is absolutely that) has not registered with Alyssa.  

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, clueliss said:

but...but Alyssa looked good in them, that's what matters right? (please insert sarcastic tone, haha)

• Upvote 13

Poor Ally. Even in the smiling pics she looks like she’s smiling through the tears. I’m sure she is being taught instant obedience or whatever the fundies call it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2

Tell me, does Allie have mascara in those daddy-daughter-date photos? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Tell me, does Allie have mascara in those daddy-daughter-date photos? 

I’m pretty sure she does. The difference between the date photos and others makes it rather obvious in my opinion. 

I wouldn’t mind allowing children (girls and boys!) to occasionally play with makeup. But putting mascara on little Allie only teaches her two very detrimental lessons: 

a. She isn’t beautiful enough the way she naturally looks and hence needs to change her appearance for special occasions. 

b. She’s required to look different (and better) for men because they wouldn’t accept her the way she actually is. 

That sucks! But honestly, I’m not surprised by Alyssa’s behavior, putting makeup on a little girl is what I’d expect from her. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 15
  • Love 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic