IGNORED

Alyssa & John 5: She's Raising Fashion Conscious Girls

HerNameIsBuffy

9 hours ago, frugalitymom said:

Videos are great to a point as an extension to a lesson like history but not just videos.

Especially just sitting there watching a class. I have some friends who use Teaching Textbooks and they say it is interactive. That is one thing missing from this video school is there is no interaction. Just watching those scarily obedient children and their hyper-happy teacher isn't a way to learn at all. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

Online school would be better. Especially if it’s something interactive. I hope at some point she joins a co op. I loved co op. I really loved going out for school but the co op worked as a substitute until I was allowed to go out. To properly home school is a full time job. It’s something that needs to be taken serious. 

• Upvote 6

Alyssa and John posted a video on their Youtube saying how they're willing to help out small business owners who don't have a job now due to COVID-19. They are willing to sponsor a few people and help buy/give money for groceries if you message them on their Instagram telling them your current situation/story. I'm glad to see fundies actually helping for once instead of getting things handed to them. 

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

On 3/15/2020 at 9:33 PM, JillyO said:

Damn. I just watched their "day in the life" video and jeez, their life is so depressing.

1. The "homeschooling." As others have already mentioned, Alyssa sticks Allie in front of that terrible Abeca video for an hour or two and calls it homeschooling. How utterly sad for a Kindergardener (anyone, really, but especially a young child who should be learning through play.)

2. Their nutrition. They offered the kids a choice of like three different pre-packaged snack foods for breakfast. Little Lexi actually asked for an apple, probably because even at 3 years old she's sick of it. Then they drove to Chick-fil-A for lunch. Cookies and capri sun as an afternoon snack for the girls. Then boxed mac-n-cheese for dinner for the kids (couldn't really tell what the sides were - I'd say one was probably canned beans, one looked like potatoes but those would be a very weird side for mac-n-cheese so not sure). Alyssa really seems to be quite the home maker. ?

3. Their activities. Or lack of activities I should say. The only time they left the house all day was to drive to Chick-fil-A. In the morning, Alyssa just parked the kids in front of a screen so she could do her hair and make-up in peace. Then in the afternoon, they napped and then Alyssa and John worked out (I did like the parts where they included the girls in the workout at least). Then dinner followed by story time Gothard indoctrination. Why not take your kids to a park or the playground? Go for a walk? Swimming (since John was home from work that day)? The weather looked absolutely beautiful, so there's really no reason to be holed up inside with three young children all day.

I don't really know what the point of my post is except to say that that video depressed the hell out of me.

We've seen them feed the kids crap before,  she definitely relies on processed foods. It actually seems like while she grew up cooking for the family and Erin only learned after getting married, Erin has learned how to cook healthier. But then, with 3 kids we all end up falling back on easy crap sometimes.

I agree that not everyone is made for that lifestyle, even if they've been raised to think they are. In this whole quarantine having to both telework and take care of my toddler, I know I'm not made for this homeschool life. I need space from him and be around grownups,  and he needs space to grow and be around kids and teachers who have been professionally trained in this more than I have. That's why this whole thing sucks so much.

I almost envy homeschoolers, their life is not nearly as disrupted right now. Never thought I'd envy fundies..m

• Upvote 10

16 hours ago, haroldtheyrefundies said:

Alyssa and John posted a video on their Youtube saying how they're willing to help out small business owners who don't have a job now due to COVID-19. They are willing to sponsor a few people and help buy/give money for groceries if you message them on their Instagram telling them your current situation/story. I'm glad to see fundies actually helping for once instead of getting things handed to them. 

Although this is admirable, I don't see the wisdom of just tossing this offer out randomly and getting 500 replies from whereever and whoever.  Why not just donate to a local food bank? Or the Diaper Bank of Central Florida? Or make sure that all of John's coworkers are getting full paychecks, and helping out if they are falling short, or if they need extra help (because, perhaps, their spouse has lost work).

And what about their local church--they posted on Sunday in front of the West Orlando Baptist Church--what are they doing?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 12

You’re a wank, Lawson. Don’t go pretending you’re all normal childhood now. Carlin stated when she went to Disney that she had never seen a Disney movie. 
katie really looks like she “got” the joke too! 

062D77D4-510F-4F55-9B6C-21F99F6752EF.png

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

You’re a wank, Lawson. Don’t go pretending you’re all normal childhood now. Carlin stated when she went to Disney that she had never seen a Disney movie. 
katie really looks like she “got” the joke too! 

062D77D4-510F-4F55-9B6C-21F99F6752EF.png

Tangled is a fairly recent movie so none of them would have grown up with it but guessing they've seen it now.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, MaryOrMartha said:

Tangled is a fairly recent movie so none of them would have grown up with it but guessing they've seen it now.

It’s still nine years old. I just handle the whole we would not have been allowed to watch that nine years ago but let’s all act like, because we are now we can make memes and be in the “in” crowd! 
I don’t know if that makes sense. I just find them hypocritical. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

It’s still nine years old. I just handle the whole we would not have been allowed to watch that nine years ago but let’s all act like, because we are now we can make memes and be in the “in” crowd! 
I don’t know if that makes sense. I just find them hypocritical. 

So because they were not allowed by their crazy parents to watch disney movies as kids they should not watch them as adults now? or watch them in secret and never comment about them on their social media like there is something wrong with watching them? Seems a bit nitpicky as a criticism, but maybe its just me.

Corona means Crown in spanish btw thats why the kingdom was called that (had to google it, never watched that movie).

Edited by llucie
spelling
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

Wow I just got around to watching the video and it makes me so sad. I don’t watch their show but Alyssa comes off so bubbly on social media that it’s surprising to see how disinterested she is in everything. The only time she seemed to perk up were when she was doing her makeup and alone with John doing bible time. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 3/25/2020 at 1:45 PM, artdecades said:

Wow I just got around to watching the video and it makes me so sad. I don’t watch their show but Alyssa comes off so bubbly on social media that it’s surprising to see how disinterested she is in everything. The only time she seemed to perk up were when she was doing her makeup and alone with John doing bible time. 

She puts on the bubbly act for social media after learning that's what's necessary - when she started making cringey videos she always looked miserable and lifeless and I think people said something to her and now she visibly puts on a big fake smile. It's all fake fake fake.

She put up a story on making homemade alfredo and said she didn't have "alfredo noodles", used "ziti noodles". I guess she means fettuccine? Never heard someone call it that and also not all pasta are "noodles". Such a dummy.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Love 1

On 3/30/2020 at 9:46 PM, freethemall said:

She puts on the bubbly act for social media after learning that's what's necessary - when she started making cringey videos she always looked miserable and lifeless and I think people said something to her and now she visibly puts on a big fake smile. It's all fake fake fake.

She put up a story on making homemade alfredo and said she didn't have "alfredo noodles", used "ziti noodles". I guess she means fettuccine? Never heard someone call it that and also not all pasta are "noodles". Such a dummy.

Honest question, what pasta wouldn't be noodles? I guess maybe like orzo or couscous?  I honestly call it all noodles but I'm curious about this!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, ModestisHottest said:

Honest question, what pasta wouldn't be noodles? I guess maybe like orzo or couscous?  I honestly call it all noodles but I'm curious about this!

A lot of pasta isn't noodles... rigatoni, penne, farfalle even elbow macaroni. To me, a noodle would be spaghetti, fettuccini, linguine, etc...

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, nvmbr02 said:

A lot of pasta isn't noodles... rigatoni, penne, farfalle even elbow macaroni. To me, a noodle would be spaghetti, fettuccini, linguine, etc...

Interesting! I think I would call all of those noodles LOL.  (I can just hear myself saying "macaroni noodle.") My husband's opinion (he's a non-native speaker so his perspective is a little different) is that only Asian noodles are noodles (I.e. soba, lo mein etc.)  Now I want to look up the etymology of the word "noodle!"

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

I would call all of these noodles. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, ModestisHottest said:

Interesting! I think I would call all of those noodles LOL.  (I can just hear myself saying "macaroni noodle.") My husband's opinion (he's a non-native speaker so his perspective is a little different) is that only Asian noodles are noodles (I.e. soba, lo mein etc.)  Now I want to look up the etymology of the word "noodle!"

We are native English speakers but if someone in our house said they wanted noodles they would be talking about soba or udon generally. Growing up as a kid if I wanted noodles it would have been spaghetti with butter. 

I know one of my great grandmothers did refer to all pasta as noodles, but I can't recall anyone else in our family ever doing that. And I have no idea when my own little family started meaning asian style noodle when talking about noodles in general. I'll have to ask my husband what he called pasta growing up. We've lived several different places now ( In the US we have lived in the West Coast, Midwest, South and now Southwest and we have also lived in Asia, in Europe and the Pacific Islands) so sometimes it is hard to pinpoint when or where we made a switch.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, ModestisHottest said:

Via Wikipedia: the word comes from German nudel but the food comes from China and refers to "unleavened dough which is rolled flat and cut, stretched or extruded, into long strips or strings". Hence its specific to long pasta. Also egg noodles. Like others said,  it generally refers to Asian noodles like soba, udon, ramen, etc. I think most things you refer to as "noodles " are just pasta.

I just watched the video of a typical day in the Webster household. Breakfast was a baggie of mini muffins for Allie, an apple for Lexi, and a fig bar for Zoey. Didnt see any milk or anything else, how is that an appropriate breakfast for toddlers? I usually aim for a carb, fruit, dairy and/or protein for my 3 year old,  like cereal with banana or a bagel/english muffin/toast with yogurt and fruit, oatmeal with berries, etc. But maybe they had more after?

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

I don't follow the Bates as closely as the Duggars. I assume Alyssa became pregnant very shortly after marriage. From what others have described, I think she of all the married Bates would have benefited from being able to delay childbearing for the 1st couple of years of marriage. 

Edited by Pecansforeveryone
Add a word
  • Upvote 7

14 hours ago, freethemall said:

Via Wikipedia: the word comes from German nudel but the food comes from China and refers to "unleavened dough which is rolled flat and cut, stretched or extruded, into long strips or strings". Hence its specific to long pasta. Also egg noodles. Like others said,  it generally refers to Asian noodles like soba, udon, ramen, etc. I think most things you refer to as "noodles " are just pasta.

I just watched the video of a typical day in the Webster household. Breakfast was a baggie of mini muffins for Allie, an apple for Lexi, and a fig bar for Zoey. Didnt see any milk or anything else, how is that an appropriate breakfast for toddlers? I usually aim for a carb, fruit, dairy and/or protein for my 3 year old,  like cereal with banana or a bagel/english muffin/toast with yogurt and fruit, oatmeal with berries, etc. But maybe they had more after?

Yes I saw that too about the long pasta! So funny! My family definitely doesn't follow that rule! Further research on wiktionary led me to this image which seems to support our use of the word.  (We're in the US.) Anyway, it sounds like people use this word differently all over! Fascinating stuff!

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 9.55.24 AM.png

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

I actually brought up this noodle/pasta debate at dinner with my family. The "noodles are long"/"past can be any shape" was the most popular opinion. One held the opinion was that "pasta" is  a dish consisting of "noodles."

I agree that it depends on the shape, but I also wonder if people treat pasta as more of a plural word and noodle as singular. Like, if there was a single piece of pasta on the floor, I might call it a noodle. But noodles (plural) are always long.

Edited by Perrierwithlemon
clarification
  • Upvote 4

My LDS friends Last weekend:  woohoo pajama church!  (general conference which happens twice a year)

Alyssa:  lets dress up in matching frilly dresses so we can sit in the living room then stream out church followed by my dad's church and make sure we still take our usual selfie for the 'gram.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

If only Alyssa put half as much effort into educating her child as she does in dressing everyone in perfectly coordinated outfits to go nowhere. I almost wonder if she thinks she'll lose followers or something if she doesn't keep up the Sunday photo shoots. Does she think people just live to see what they're going to wear to church every week?

Personally I don't think my 4 year old has worn tops that matched her bottoms once since school let out 3 weeks ago. She normally wears uniforms so I think she's getting a kick out of picking out her own outfit each morning.

Edited by VineHeart137
  • Upvote 25

Yesterday our minister made an announcement before Zoom services that everyone needs to wear clothing to attend! ?

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 18

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Yesterday our minister made an announcement before Zoom services that everyone needs to wear clothing to attend! ?

@clueliss- we have the ability to chat via text during services, and one person mentioned that the best part of the service was when the minister mentioned everyone had to wear clothing to attend. Of course my husband and I quietly wondered  WHY that announcement needed to be made in the first place. Which congregant violated the dress code? 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

If only Alyssa put half as much effort into educating her child as she does in dressing everyone in perfectly coordinated outfits to go nowhere. I almost wonder if she thinks she'll lose followers or something if she doesn't keep up the Sunday photo shoots. Does she think people just live to see what they're going to wear to church every week?

Perhaps it's more out of a sense of obligation to the fan who sends them all of the matching outfits - ?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic