IGNORED

Alyssa & John 5: She's Raising Fashion Conscious Girls

HerNameIsBuffy

7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

So live church has happened for the Websters. Per IG, Alyssa is in a dark, off the shoulders, what appears to be velvet dress. Seriously, for a weekly, morning, Sunday service in June? I will never understand these people.

It seriously looks like a cocktail dress. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8

That's because it IS a cocktail dress.  A cocktail dress to church. Velvet in June in the Northern hemisphere. Just .... my Southern grandmother would be spinning in her grave.

It's a gorgeous dress, and Alyssa looks absolutely stunning in it, but it's a dress for slinking up to a trendy bar in Chicago on a cold November night, or a New Year's Eve Party in New York City, or a DC fundraising drinks on John's arm in January. Not church on a humid summer Sunday morning in Florida.

And I'm not even sure I blame Alyssa? She may have no conception that it's not really an appropriate dress?  I mean, this is a pretty minor social solecism, but the dress is so out of place I'm just shaking my head.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 11

Wait a minute, I thought velour was a fall and winter material? I know she was the "talk of the day" after church.??. Love that dress! Girl looking sexy for Jesus and don't even know it. Looking forward to seeing what she will wear next Sunday.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 6

Modesty? One of their favorite words...I fully support clothing being venue appropriate, and no, that dress was not appropriate attire for a conservative, Sunday, morning  service in June.

• Upvote 12

And the poor two eldest. Dark colour, long sleeves, non breathable heavy material.... hot hot hot. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

Today in Orlando it was 86 degrees with humidity at 92%, felt like 97 degrees. I went out in a short dress and was sweating prefusely ?  

• Upvote 10

When asked about the dresses, Alyssa said it had been raining all week, and it wasn't that hot. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

It has been raining all week. It’s been humid af ?

Maybe I’m still climatizing. Maybe locals are used to it by now. 

• Upvote 9

8 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

It has been raining all week. It’s been humid af ?

Maybe I’m still climatizing. Maybe locals are used to it by now. 

Floridians have a temperature scale all their own! I have a cousin that lives in Tampa that wears sweatshirts in 75 degree weather when she visits us just a couple states up because “anything under 80 is chilly”. It’s always baffled me because I start sweating at 65 degrees in jeans and a tshirt! But with humidity like we get in the south, you’d think she’d at least want a more breathable fabric than velvet, even if she felt like it was cool enough to wear long sleeves. 

• Upvote 9

22 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

Floridians have a temperature scale all their own! I have a cousin that lives in Tampa that wears sweatshirts in 75 degree weather when she visits us just a couple states up because “anything under 80 is chilly”. It’s always baffled me because I start sweating at 65 degrees in jeans and a tshirt! But with humidity like we get in the south, you’d think she’d at least want a more breathable fabric than velvet, even if she felt like it was cool enough to wear long sleeves. 

And here I would be happy if 80 was the hottest it got all summer.  That's about when I shift into "only whatever chores need to be done in the shady parts of the yard" mode.

The one year I lived in Los Angeles I noticed how 50 degrees or so was down jacket weather.  After that year (around 30 years ago) I have mostly lived in dry, cold climates.  (As an example, yesterday, June 7, we had a dusting of snow here in my rare little corner of California).

On the other hand, once it's warm enough for short sleeves, then it's too hot (my personal sense) for sun on my skin.  I spend the summers in T-shirt or tank top but always with a lightweight, 3/4-sleeve open shirt over it, to keep the sun off my arms/shoulders.  I feel like a rare day of "75 degrees but deep overcast" would be the only time I'd be outside with bare arms.

• Upvote 7

15 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Wait a minute, I thought velour was a fall and winter material? I know she was the "talk of the day" after church.??. Love that dress! Girl looking sexy for Jesus and don't even know it. Looking forward to seeing what she will wear next Sunday.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a reaction to this;. The old Southern church lady that lives inside me had to fan myself vigorously after seeing that evening ensemble.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 9

On 6/7/2020 at 3:54 AM, Melissa1977 said:

She's Addalee, she looks a lot like Alyssa and Kelly, and maybe like Michaela, too?. I never before thought that Alyssa and Kelly were so similar, but maybe it is because Alyssa is so thin compared to Kelly and it makes their faces look a bit different. 

I've always thought Alyssa looks the most like her mom out of all the Bates daughters. They have the same very distinctive cheeks and nasolabial folds. When Alyssa gets older, especially if she darkens her hair, I bet she will look just like Kelly. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I've always thought Alyssa looks the most like her mom out of all the Bates daughters. They have the same very distinctive cheeks and nasolabial folds. When Alyssa gets older, especially if she darkens her hair, I bet she will look just like Kelly. 

There’s a pic out there somewhere of Kelly around the time of her marriage where she’s tiny and resembles Alyssa a lot. Also there was a pic of a preteen Kelly which looked an awful lot like Ellie. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Cute dress but as others have said not appropriate. My inner Southern church lady is super polite so all she has to say is “bless her heart” 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 14

7 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

There’s a pic out there somewhere of Kelly around the time of her marriage where she’s tiny and resembles Alyssa a lot. Also there was a pic of a preteen Kelly which looked an awful lot like Ellie. 

This one?

kelly+bates+as+a+child.png

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

I’m probably projecting, because I’m almost always hot.  But, to me that dress looks like “I’d better wear something heavier to church because the AC at church will be cold.  And because I’m cold, let me out the girls in long sleeves as well.”  Because she looks like the type who is always cold.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

This one?

The one I’m thinking of, is she is off to the side and or maybe hugging her dad. I have never seen this photo before. This photo really could just blend in with photos of her children. She really could have given birth to this child. I can see a few of her girls in this pic. They may be awful but Gil and kJ make stereotypically attractive children. 

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, clueliss said:

I’m probably projecting, because I’m almost always hot.  But, to me that dress looks like “I’d better wear something heavier to church because the AC at church will be cold.  And because I’m cold, let me out the girls in long sleeves as well.”  Because she looks like the type who is always cold.

She always wears tank tops and shorts in summer and very light dresses for church etc. Does not seem a person always cold based in her outfits.

I think she just has to wear whatever outfits her strange fan has bought that week. 

Edited by Melissa1977
Clarify
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

On 6/8/2020 at 3:46 PM, JanasTattooParlor said:

I can feel for your cousin! Even at the height of summer (the last couple of years we've had 3 or 4 weeks each summer with temperatures of 30-36°C every day (86 to 96°F), no rain, and temps barely dipping at night) I will never go out without at least a light jacket and/or leggings to put on in case of emergency. Obviously I hate air-conditioned places, thankfully they are still rare in Germany (at least where I live...). 

I think I probably would have brought a shawl along with that dress, to cover the shoulders... 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

This one?

Holy cow--Tori and Addallee are the spitting images of Kelly! And I see alot of Lawson, too

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7

The photo I think some are referencing is Gil and KJ’s wedding photo. It is /was posted in the bridal gown thread, but when I go to pull it up I’m getting only a code number that leads no where. Maybe some tech savvy person will have better luck. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

Found a few.

DADEF102-98DE-4911-99BD-656FC3306ED1.png

0E74F94E-27DC-41FA-A61C-BBB909C9AAAD.png

14ECC740-42FE-4E88-8287-7FDA53242EFF.png

I like the typo in your search bar in the first screenshot ?

Jelly Jo ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I like the typo in your search bar in the first screenshot ?

Jelly Jo ?

I hadn’t noticed. ? 

• Upvote 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic