IGNORED

Alyssa & John 5: She's Raising Fashion Conscious Girls

HerNameIsBuffy

My mind is blown that for some people there's a difference between pasta and noodles.  I always thought they were words with different roots (romance vs germanic languages) that mean the exact same thing.  I could never have come up with what a difference between them might be.

I just asked my German husband if there was a difference and he said pasta is a subset of noodles, prepared in an Italian style.  So like goulash or chicken noodle soup wouldn't be pasta.  ?‍♀️

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

In Ireland pasta is the stuff you eat with Italian-type dishes and noodles are what you eat with Chinese-type dishes ??

• Upvote 7
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 7

There's a meme going around on FB among more fundie groups and this could be in response to that. Then there's the super-special fundies who think that they still need to meet in person. I'd rather she dress up and stay home than in a church where she is required to attend under threat of arrest or lose her "status" in the church.

test.JPG

• Upvote 4

There's a meme going around on FB among more fundie groups and this could be in response to that. Then there's the super-special fundies who think that they still need to meet in person. I'd rather she dress up and stay home than in a church where she is required to attend under threat of arrest or lose her "status" in the church.
test.thumb.JPG.95b970cc87a2a4fdc444b919685ab036.JPG

I will never understand why “worship” has anything to do with what you wear in your home. Attending in person? Sure, Sunday best makes sense. In your home where no one can see you? How does wearing a dress or suit put you in then “right mindset.” It baffles me.
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

40 minutes ago, Skeptic55 said:

I will never understand why “worship” has anything to do with what you wear in your home. Attending in person? Sure, Sunday best makes sense. In your home where no one can see you? How does wearing a dress or suit put you in then “right mindset.” It baffles me.

It's the same mindset when people give advice to get dressed for work including bra and shoes when working from home...as I sit here in pajamas, barefoot, and braless working from home.

Anyone remember the Flylady?  She recommended getting dressed down to the shoes even when one was a SAHP or on weekend, etc.  Helps some people I guess.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 6

I'm barefoot at the moment and due to the unseasonably warm temps - wearing a pair of shorts.  And a sport bra but that's so if I decide to go for a walk at some point I don't have to put it on then.  

yes on flylady and we differed on shoes.  I was raised with no shoes in the house.  my mother was raised with no shoes in the house.  Shoes in the house are not normal in my world.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

The dressing for church thing feels very southern to me. I’m not too surprised and bet a lot of old school Deep South churchgoers are doing this. 

• Upvote 4

I've worked at home for 3 weeks now in a shurt bra and panties just fine. No pants needed. Bra only needed bc coworkers randomly video chat me.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

The dressing for church thing feels very southern to me. I’m not too surprised and bet a lot of old school Deep South churchgoers are doing this. 

I'm from the Midwest and we always dressed for church.

• Upvote 3

Working here...Grinch pajama pants, tank top, no bra, slippers. I have the TV on while I work. Did the video meeting early this morning. Was half awake, slugging coffee like a pro...

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I’m one of those people that gets dressed and work from home.  I feel so much better taking a shower and getting dressed.  The only difference is at work I wear jeans and a nice top but I wear a t shirt instead of a dressier top at home and I don’t wear makeup at home.

• Upvote 9

5 hours ago, Kelsey said:

I've worked at home for 3 weeks now in a shurt bra and panties just fine. No pants needed. Bra only needed bc coworkers randomly video chat me.

That makes me think of the clip John Oliver put together of various news reporters asking their working at home colleagues if their wearing pants.  Can't say I wouldn't ask the same thing or wear non-business appropriate pants if I had the chance working from home. The call center I worked at had work at home options and they were always bragging to us in the office at wearing shorts, pajamas or working in their underwear. They also never sounded very convincing when asked if they had the TV on but muted. 

• Upvote 2

Getting dressed changes things. No need to wear fancy clothes (or shoes!) at home, but I can tell you there's a difference between working in pyjama or in normal clothes. 

There's a difference even changing your pyjama to a different one. The routine to wash, brush, dress... makes your brain to understand that there is time to work. Concentration is easier!

I know everyone is different. But those struggling with depression or lazyness will feel the difference even more.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

On 4/6/2020 at 1:08 PM, SassyPants said:

Yesterday our minister made an announcement before Zoom services that everyone needs to wear clothing to attend! ?

Somebody scandalized the church by rolling up to a Zoom meeting without clothing. :laughing-jumpingpurple: I wonder if whoever it was didn't realize that people could see them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 9

I'm again in shorts, tshirt, sports bra (I'll walk later to alleviate back/hip issues from sitting too much) and no shoes.  The windows are gloriously open right now.  Granted we have a giant temp drop coming and tomorrow will be  seasonable/colder.  (and I'll be in the office tomorrow wearing more normal clothes)

As a kid going to church we dressed.  My pants wearing kid sister knew that dress at church was non negotiable.  But that was in the 1970s.  I migrated to jeans/pants at church in my years serving in children's ministry because a lot of my kids showed up in jeans and sitting on the floor with kids in a dress is a PITA.  

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Getting dressed changes things. No need to wear fancy clothes (or shoes!) at home, but I can tell you there's a difference between working in pyjama or in normal clothes. 

There's a difference even changing your pyjama to a different one. The routine to wash, brush, dress... makes your brain to understand that there is time to work. Concentration is easier!

I know everyone is different. But those struggling with depression or lazyness will feel the difference even more.

Thank you (bolded mine). 

If I don't shower, dress, and (sometimes force myself to) have breakfast, my whole day is bust. I feel...frozen? Incapable of doing things? 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

For Easter, if your plans were cancelled, it might just feel nice and fancy to dress up and make it a special day, even if you can't leave the house. 

• Upvote 8

On 4/7/2020 at 2:23 PM, neuroticcat said:

Tbh, as an old school type southerner who usually gets dressed up for mass...

I’ve  been watching mass in my nightgown. Sometimes with snacks. Never with shoes or makeup. Each to their own, I guess lol. 

• Upvote 4

So Alyssa just posted a new YouTube video of a trip to the grocery store she took because they ran out her of stuff. She took her 3 girls. 

I don’t know exactly when it was recorded or what the rules are in Florida but where I live they’re only letting one person per household go out for essentials and they’re only letting 3 people at a time go inside the grocery store. 

I guess they don’t have many rules because she wouldn’t have been able to go inside the store with the girls but I still don’t think I’d take my kids. 

Edited by VBOY9977
  • Upvote 13

1 hour ago, VBOY9977 said:

So Alyssa just posted a new YouTube video of a trip to the grocery store she took because they ran out her of stuff. She took her 3 girls. 

I don’t know exactly when it was recorded or what the rules are in Florida but where I live they’re only letting one person per household go out for essentials and they’re only letting 3 people at a time go inside the grocery store. 

I guess they don’t have many rules because she wouldn’t have been able to go inside the store with the girls but I still don’t think I’d take my kids. 

I'm in Florida. There are no rules currently on how many family members can go out. But the general consensus from my mom groups is that unless you absolutely have no choice (single parents, can't afford the extra cost of delivered groceries, etc) you leave the kids at home. However I think it's probable that the video was recorded before the pandemic started being taken seriously in this country.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, VBOY9977 said:

Unfortunately Alyssa is not known as the sharpest tool in the shed. That combined with a “god will protect us” attitude means that common sense and a sense of duty (to the world) flies right out the window. She is not alone. I saw a moron and judged harshly yesterday. Husband, wife, three kids including newborn out shopping. What a fucking wanker. Single mum, yeah maybe. She wasn’t. Leave them in the car or at home. 
a thought just occurred to me about my own biased prejudice. I judged the mother pushing the pram in this situation. Not the father pushing the trolley. Both are equally to blame. Both could have made a different choice. Maybe he was the arsehole. But as a women I automatically judged the other mother, because it was not what I would do. 
phmmmm interesting. I will have to be aware of that Bias in the future. 

• Upvote 17

On 4/8/2020 at 5:28 PM, kmachete14 said:

For Easter, if your plans were cancelled, it might just feel nice and fancy to dress up and make it a special day, even if you can't leave the house. 

I'm totally dressing my kids up for Easter. I have a newborn baby (my first girl) and can't wait to put her in her first Easter dress, lol. It will be a nice change from everyone staying in their pajamas all day...

• Upvote 5
  • Love 13

I watched this video  - um if it is supposed to be a 'reward' for good behavior in the store - why was that the first thing they did?  Yes, I know where the area is in Target.  First thing you get to.  But why call it a reward?  

I would be more impressed with John over his watching his own children while you shop alone than I am for his putting a giant bottle of hand sanitizer in your vehicle.  

You are not sanitizing etc just to protect others from you - you are doing it to protect yourselves.  (her verbiage bugged me for some reason)

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, coffeebean7 said:

I'm totally dressing my kids up for Easter. I have a newborn baby (my first girl) and can't wait to put her in her first Easter dress, lol. It will be a nice change from everyone staying in their pajamas all day...

Yup I'm dressing my girls up in cute matching dresses for Easter. I definitely can't be bothered dressing up every weekend just to stare at a screen, but we will be doing an indoor egg hunt and some Easter crafts, and then watching the new Trolls movie that evening. I'm actually really excited about it!

• Upvote 9

I'm on day 23 of pajamas. (not the same ones...) 

Not even mad about it. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic