IGNORED

JinJer 51: Can't Even Sell Donuts!

Destiny

People saying they are a "professional X" when they aren't actually paid for it is a pet peeve of mine. 

That's not knocking hobbies. I sew and ice skate. I have mastered neither nor am I a professional, but they are fun and make me happy. My frustration, and the frustration some other posters I think are trying to express, is that a Duggar kid takes six weeks of sewing lessons and they are a "professional seamstress!" Jana who has never trained at a conservatory is a "concert pianist." I know non-Fundie versions of this in real life and I always find it naive, solipsistic, and obnoxious.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 4

We have Master Gardeners here.  They're volunteers so not professionals, but I'd consider them more than hobbyists.  They have special training to help other gardeners.  They operate under the county extension service.

Mr. Math is a Master Gardener. He would ever see himself as a professional, although he is quite skilled. It’s nothing he would brag about. If anything, he is more aware of all he doesn’t know. (@Coconut Flan is so right about this. If you have a program near you, the members are a tremendous resource to help with gardening in your area. They are a service organization, and all of the Master Gardeners I know would be glad to help anyone with gardening questions. Check them out online if you are interested in gardening. )
  • Upvote 9
  • Love 1

My cousin got a university degree in horticulture. He is now a gardener for some beautiful public gardens in his city. That is a professional gardener.  Both my sisters have their gr 8 in piano. My one sister has a B.A. in music from an accredited university. Neither of them would consider themselves professional musicians because neither of them have a career in music. The sister with the degree in music is constantly taking continuous education in voice and piano, as well as certain other instruments, but music for her is a hobby, not a career. My second cousin is also very musical. She is the official pianist for several large choirs in her area and is constantly having performances and concerts. She is a professional pianist. 
Most people I know of are leery of claiming to be a professional unless they have made a career of something, and have gotten an education in that field of study.  Even Dr’s and nurses lose their professional status if they do not keep up to date in their education. 

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I say that I am a "serious hobbyist" about activities I have training/knowledge/experience in but which are nevertheless hobbies rather than a profession or career.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

A person can be considered an expert on something and still not be a professional in that area.  Miriam Webster definition of professional:

Definition of professional

(Entry 1 of 2)

1a: of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession

b: engaged in one of the learned professions

c(1): characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession

(2): exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace

2a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs

a professional golfer

b: having a particular profession as a permanent career 

a professional soldier

c: engaged in by persons receiving financial return

professional football

3: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession 

a professional patriot

Edited by treehugger
Format
  • Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, RainbowSky said:

I'm still not getting why you have to be a professional to say that you're a gardener. 

In this instance IMO there is nothing wrong with it.  Per the dictionary a gardner is.

a person who tends and cultivates a garden as a pastime or for a living.

I think where people get rankled is the Duggar way of using hyperbole to describe their achievements across the board.  I agree Jana is a gardener by how I define it, someone who gardens.  But she was certainly never a concert pianist, nor were any of the kids musicians despite subjecting people to their violin caterwauling.  

Smuggar was never a business owner....it doesn't work when Daddy owns the business and your income has nothing to do with it's success or failure.  

That kinda thing annoys people so I think the gardener stuff is caught up in that.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6

26 minutes ago, RainbowSky said:

I'm still not getting why you have to be a professional to say that you're a gardener. 

That’s not what I meant. I will say though,  that Jana’s garden is still a hobby.  She is a hobbyist gardener.  She may be very good at it.  She is not a professional gardener.

Edited to add that of course a hobby gardener is still a gardener, so am I, my parents, and my grandparents. Lots of people are. No one is laughing at Jana for having a beautiful garden.  It’s just not necessarily “holy crap!” amazing.  Many people have many skills and talents.  It’s really not that unusual.  The irritating thing about the Duggar’s is that they think they are “holy crap!” amazing, so do their fans.  It’s ridiculous.  

Also, I can’t make this come out sounding better, because the Duggar’s irritate me, but my high snark level here is not meant personally @RainbowSky.  

Edited by treehugger
  • Upvote 7
  • Move Along 1

Also, this is the JinJer thread.  They may annoy me more than any of the others that I follow, because they are ignorant, pretty blockheads who have not shown any desire to educate themselves , but who suddenly consider themselves influential people in the worlds of fashion, music, and culinary arts.  

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, treehugger said:

Also, this is the JinJer thread.  They may annoy me more than any of the others that I follow, because they are ignorant, pretty blockheads who have not shown any desire to educate themselves , but who suddenly consider themselves influential people in the worlds of fashion, music, and culinary arts.  

“...consider themselves influential people in the worlds of fashion, music, and culinary arts.”  Really Jinger?  We remember the Holly Hobby frumpers, rules for no dancing, and tater tot casserole. It is difficult to influence people when you have very little experience in said subject areas. You just started wearing pants, yes, you can play piano, but so can I, and taking pictures in an apron with a pan full of dinner rolls does not make one a chef. It infuriates me that jinger and Jeremy think they are better than anyone. No one else has an adorable prop, er, I mean daughter, lives in California, and cooks in their kitchen. I bet these same people also like food at a nice restaurant, or a good cup of coffee, but resist the urge to photograph it and post it online. 

• Upvote 16
  • Haha 7

22 minutes ago, treehugger said:

The irritating thing about the Duggar’s is that they think they are “holy crap!” amazing, so do their fans.  It’s ridiculous.  

This.  Perfectly worded.  Like back when they were yammering on about her decorating skills.  So she can drive to Hobby Lobby and hang pithy sayings on a wall.  Congrats, I guess, for doing something literally everyone can do?

I look at Jana and don't see some kind of renaissance woman.  I see a stunted adult who is nearly 30 who has never held a job, and has never made a real attempt to improve her extremely limited education.  

Her one actual achievement is raising her parents children.  That's what she has been spending her life doing, and considering she has been doing it in keeping with JB and M's approval it means she's been reinforcing the cult.  Idk about anyone else, but I don't see that as something to be lauded.  

Yes, Jana can garden.  So can a lot of people if they don't need to earn a living or make a decision or function as an adult in society...all of which is pretty time consuming.  So her being really good at her hobbies is understandable when it's not like she's got anything else taking up her time.

• Upvote 32
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

In this instance IMO there is nothing wrong with it.  Per the dictionary a gardner is.

I think where people get rankled is the Duggar way of using hyperbole to describe their achievements across the board.  I agree Jana is a gardener by how I define it, someone who gardens.  But she was certainly never a concert pianist, nor were any of the kids musicians despite subjecting people to their violin caterwauling.  

Smuggar was never a business owner....it doesn't work when Daddy owns the business and your income has nothing to do with it's success or failure.  

That kinda thing annoys people so I think the gardener stuff is caught up in that.

"I think where people get rankled is the Duggar way of using hyperbole to describe their achievements across the board."

This, Maybe Jana really does have superior gardening skills. But she is certainly not a concert pianist, and they called her that, too. 
It's the Duggars having no idea what professionalism entails and claiming all sorts of "professional" credentials they don't have and have no interest in working to acquire.
Jana plays the piano at a fundie church and is a "concert pianist." Plus a doula, which actually is a very noble profession that involves more than babysitting your sister, who by the way is not really a "professional" midwife.
God knows what Josh thought of his skills as a DC lobbyist, but he also made something like a shower invitation on MS Word or something and pronounced himself a "graphic designer." Jill (midwife credentials already discussed) and Dwreck can go to El Salvador and pass out tracts in English and that makes them missionaries. JInger can roll up dough (apparently the wrong way in the wrong pan) and that makes her a teacher of baking. Jed has a SORDRT GED so he should be in the State House.

The very worst, IMO, and I wish I could get that picture out of my head, is JD showing up in the devastated Bahamas flashing an Arkansas constabulary badge and a gun, which made him an expert in directing relief efforts.
Jana may be a very good gardener. There are certainly many people--and lots of serious artists who still have day jobs--that we can quibble about whether or not they are "professional." But the thing with the Duggars is they mostly consider all of their half-ass stabs at whatever strikes their fancy as "professional." And the kids of course, raised as they were, have no idea of what level of skill a profession requires, much less the other "soft skills" that actual professionals have. Hell, these are people who were raised to think the rest of the world had to accommodate "Duggar time."
I am disappointed to learn Austin is one of those. I thought his insane parents at least had a better work ethic.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 9

Jinger having a joke about Jeremy & his sister. I wonder what Jeremy is looking at- didn’t he say in one of their super dull podcasts he hardly had any apps & had to use Jinger’s phone for social media? I may have got that wrong as I dozed off at some point. Anyway, that was before they branded themselves as ‘breakout stars’ .

18421C5E-6A3A-4D8D-A443-757A2E8344E3.png

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 16

On 1/1/2020 at 9:06 AM, Idlewild said:

Jinger having a joke about Jeremy & his sister. I wonder what Jeremy is looking at- didn’t he say in one of their super dull podcasts he hardly had any apps & had to use Jinger’s phone for social media? I may have got that wrong as I dozed off at some point. Anyway, that was before they branded themselves as ‘breakout stars’ .

I actually was thinking the same thing, I remember him saying (If i recall correctly) that he sends his Instagram pictures to Jinger for her to post for him. That's no flip phone of shame and he seems pretty comfortable spending his time on it......

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

On 12/7/2019 at 5:02 PM, WarriorJane said:

I This week's word is "twat waffle."  I don't know why.   

Twat waffle is one of my favorite insults. Same with “stupid/unbelievable/insufferable kumquat.” I don’t know how I started using kumquat as an insult. It’s just a funny word. 

On 12/8/2019 at 10:30 PM, princessmahina said:

Is your mother Zsu Anderson? 

I’m not sure where you gave birth in the south, but I think things have improved ? I gave birth in September in the Deep South and they kept me well supplied with fruit loops and assorted plants ? it is TOUGH down here though. 

“Is there meat in the beans?”

”nope”

*eats beans, weird metallic taste*

”you sure there’s no meat?”

*eye roll* “bacon grease doesn’t count as meat.”

yes, ma’am, it does ??

It’s so infuriating that people don’t get basic things. Once someone gave me some birthday cake she made for me. After I ate it she told me there’s lard in the icing. WHY THE FUCK IS THERE LARD?

Though recently I had a positive experience with a waiter. I wanted some fish that had lobster sauce and asked if I could get it without it. He asked about dietary restrictions, and we told him none of us eat pork products. He told us the lobster sauce is also made with a ham base. So my family, who eats shellfish, knew to avoid it.

On 12/26/2019 at 7:15 PM, WarriorJane said:

At first I thought she was making little snowmen or Christmas trees or something,  but no, she's just standing them upright (?)  And she'd better expand her repertoire beyond rolls if she wants to become a Godly Influencer Christian Internet Baker.   

The ones in the little remind me of slugs. Or Jabba the Hut.

On 12/31/2019 at 5:06 PM, Idlewild said:

I hope he’s browsing FJ

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

Did anyone else see this insta post?

First photo: Felicity being adorable and excited about a tiny doggie

Second photo: Jeremy inserts himself and ruins everything

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Did anyone else see this insta post?

First photo: Felicity being adorable and excited about a tiny doggie

Second photo: Jeremy inserts himself and ruins everything

Idk - I adore dogs and would still have stepped in when my kids were that age.  Even little dogs nip and not all dogs love toddlers.  

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Idk - I adore dogs and would still have stepped in when my kids were that age.  Even little dogs nip and not all dogs love toddlers.  

I just meant his face ruins everything, but you’re right 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I just meant his face ruins everything, but you’re right 

Oh, then yeah...LOL

• Upvote 7

On 12/30/2019 at 8:45 AM, nausicaa said:

People saying they are a "professional X" when they aren't actually paid for it is a pet peeve of mine. 

That's not knocking hobbies. I sew and ice skate. I have mastered neither nor am I a professional, but they are fun and make me happy. My frustration, and the frustration some other posters I think are trying to express, is that a Duggar kid takes six weeks of sewing lessons and they are a "professional seamstress!" Jana who has never trained at a conservatory is a "concert pianist." I know non-Fundie versions of this in real life and I always find it naive, solipsistic, and obnoxious.

Case in point anti vaxxers and their 5 mins of Internet "research" or the Plathville momster naturopathic "doctor".

(I see the Jana the "concert pianist" has already been mentioned)

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Oh, then yeah...LOL

Since they’re so obsessed with being influencers, I can see Jeremy seeing a cute moment and inserting himself to promote his image. “Babe, get a photo of me and our prop, I mean daughter, and this dog! People will love it babe! I’m going to hold this kissing pose and you take photos, babe. Bitches love dogs and babies, babe!” (Okay, maybe not that last part. But it’s like guys posing with babies or dogs for dating profile pics to get more matches)

I also have trouble seeing any of the Duggar clan having the common sense to hold a toddler back from a strange dog.

2 hours ago, squiddysquid said:

Case in point anti vaxxers and their 5 mins of Internet "research" or the Plathville momster naturopathic "doctor".

(I see the Jana the "concert pianist" has already been mentioned)

Dont even get me started on anti-vaxxers.

• Upvote 9

The only thing that surprises me about that Instagram post is that he was ok with not appearing in the first/cover pic.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I actually was thinking the same thing, I remember him saying (If i recall correctly) that he sends his Instagram pictures to Jinger for her to post for him. That's no flip phone of shame and he seems pretty comfortable spending his time on it......

That was the Audrey Roloff fundie (lite?) podcast, wasn’t it? Of course they have to appear like true believers there. However, if they want to be Californian influencers, they have to be relatable.

To put it short, they want to have their cake and eat it too. Just another day for JinJer.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Well clearly he is reading his Bible.  That's the only logical explanation.

• Upvote 2
  • Angry 1
  • Haha 10

I wonder if they think they are succeeding as influencers. I mean, I know they got some cancels, but they’re still trying mighty hard. Maybe it’s proving lucrative somehow?

• Upvote 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic