IGNORED

JinJer 51: Can't Even Sell Donuts!

Destiny

Well, although there ain't a hope in hell of me ever going there, I'll be rocking some UNLV gear soon. #2 son will finish there after his first 2 years at CSN, and yes, I'll be rocking CSN gear too. I'll be showing off to support my kid. I also have University of Colorado, Denver gear. Couldn't tell you where it is but my daughter is completing her Master's there (she did her undergrad there too) and #1 son is finishing undergrad there. Don't rightly give a shit if you like it or not. I'm rocking the UCDenver mom bumper sticker (on my back window), and CSN (College of Southern Nevada) and UNLV mom will have places of honor. Ranks right up there with my Navy Wife sticker that will NEVER come off my car...if I get a new one, I get a new sticker. Personally, it ranks right up there with my Golden Knights sticker/gear...never been to a game in person (tickets are expensive and traffic/crowds suck) but damn skippy I keep track of 'em...

• Upvote 12
  • Love 4

14 minutes ago, WarriorJane said:

Certainly not limited to "US culture. "  And plenty of ivy league students got there on merit and hard work.  I know several who came from nothing.  

Jaime Harrison who is running for the Democratic nomination for US Senate against "Leningrad Lyndsey" Graham was one of those people who came from a very poor background and graduated from Harvard.  Jaime is black, had a single mom and came from the "corridor of shame".  

The corridor of shame runs along I-95 in South Carolina where the majority of the people are black and the schools are tragically, chronically underfunded. It's okay though if those schools are so shitty.  Ain't nothing but blacks go there anyway.  (Not my opinion obviously.)

• Upvote 12

I know Harvard is a real University that people actually go to.

But it kind of is also a tourist attraction. Harvard even knows it and gives guided tours to tourists. They benefit from it and the University doesn't seem annoyed by it. I don't know how the rest of the student body feels about it, but the institution doesn't shy away from having visitors, camera crew or tourists on campus.

I visited the Harvard campus while on a trip to Boston a few years ago and the guided tour was lovely. As a Canadian who has heard of this University, has seen it in movies, etc., it felt cool to be there. I bought some merch too as a nice memory from the trip. I also took a picture in front of the old Sorbonne building in Paris when I visited, because I was excited to see it in person after reading about the Sorbonne in my history classes. I know I'd do the same if I visited Cambridge or Oxford University. These are also usually very old colleges with beautiful campuses and lovely architecture. The University I attended are moslty brutalist 1960's buildings. Not so attractive. I think most people wearing merch from a college they did not attend just want to have nice memories from their trip, or like others said, support a sport team or family members who attended.

If any of you ever buy a ''University of Montreal'' hoodie, I won't hold it against you. ;)

Edited by Vivi_music
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 6

I don’t care about their sweatshirts as much as every photo of them stuffing their faces now being described as a ‘foodie adventure’!!!

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 4

I never said that getting into an ivy league school wasn't hard work. But it is not entirely merit based either. If you come from an affluent, privelaged background, even if you aren't "old money" (and there is a lot of that at ivy leagues, which should not be a thing at all but is), you need to go to a rigorous school, have the opportunity for all of the extra curricular activities, and have support.

Unless you are born privelaged, you probably won't get that chance. Or else you have to work quadruple as hard and even then don't have a garuntee, unlike say a hard-working but lucky student who grew up in an affluent neighborhood with college educated professional parents. 

I know someone who got a ride to Yale from nothing, but one case like that doesn't disprove that Ivy League schools still disproportionately favor the privelaged. It also doesn't account for the people who get in but can't afford it. Like me. Accepted into an Ivy League, but came from a white trash area that made me too poor for tuition but not poor enough for financial aid. Also had a friend who got kicked out of home for being gay, and Yale wouldn't give him financial help so his dream died.

It didn't matter how hard working or smart I was. Had my parents been rich though, I would've gone. The people who come from nothing are smart and hard-working, but they are also lucky. They are the exception, not the rule.

People can talk about anecdotes, but in the end it doesn't really change the fact that the privelaged have an unfair advantage when it comes to Ivy Leagues. If you are a rich persons child you are more likely to go than a poor persons child. In America we like to tote the shining exceptions who came from nothing because it makes us feel better about our classist society.

Edited by BernRul
  • Upvote 20
  • Love 10

I want to stress that the criticism of Jeremy in a Harvard sweatshirt is because it’s Jeremy in a Harvard sweatshirt. He has worn this shirt in several social media posts. Jinjer are attempting a learned, cultured social media persona that is snarkable in many ways. The Harvard shirt is an example. Try-hard Jeremy in his loafers and his Harvard shirt reading his Latin books at an Instagram friendly location is what is being critiqued here, not you, or your children, or your husband, etc, etc. 

If Jeremy’s brother works at Harvard and the shirt was a gift from him, ok. But if Jeremy’s brother worked at a random mid or low-tier state college and gifted Jeremy a shirt from said college, would Jeremy plaster it all over Instagram? I think not. I don’t think we’ve even ever seen Jeremy wear a Syracuse shirt, the school that he actually attended. 

• Upvote 40
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

I once met this guy in London who collected university sweaters even from places he had never been.

He was my friends roommate and when I first saw him he was wearing a hoodie from a university that most people outside of the Netherlands never heard of so I asked him: oh did you go on exchange in Groningen? How cool!

And he was like: "no, I never been there, I got it from a friend." And it just seemed so random, their logo is not even good looking.

That being said, when I was in high school I had hoodies from the university of Rome and from Paris, but I got them as souvenirs and they looked cool.

Edited by CarrotCake
  • Upvote 7

“Remember when I jokingly yelled at you to take your sweatshirt off? Totally joking. But, you should know, those colors are sacred. Not that I care. But if you're not a Cornell man, you probably shouldn't wear them.”

E93A518B-01E8-4207-BE3B-ABABCFFD3AAD.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 24
  • Love 5

I should clarify, I don't have a problem with people wearing shirts from schools they have a connection with, like their kid went there or something, just a mild pet peeve when there is no connection. The shirt is a starting point for a conversation, and its weird when that connection is false. Its not as weird when people say, oh u of c boulder, my dad works there, or the like. The small talk can still continue.

Also, I admit in general it's a stupid small pet peeve

• Upvote 8

Putting all the clothing and Ivy League talk aside for a moment, I think what should be at the  ❤️ of this discussion in terms of The faux intellect, Jeremy, is the fact that he chose a fully uneducated Duggar to be his life partner. How does a person like Jeremy even find a topic to discuss with Jinger? Is it a constant lecture? Does Jinger take notes, or is she required to do so? I wonder if Jinger has taught Jeremy anything beyond the physics of a full, open coffee cup in a fast moving car, how to change a diaper and the JB school of ripping people off? The reality does not match Jeremy’s self perception at all.

• Upvote 33
  • I Agree 4

@BernRul again, what you've described applies to many universities, not just ivy league. My alma mater was not ivy league, but still cost 50k. They only provide need-based scholarships, but obviously that doesn't always help people who are lower middle class that still wouldn't qualify (as opposed to impoverished? Idk the distinctions). Affluent people have a leg up when applying to any university. To me it appears you have more of a problem with how the US/ the college's admin regulate higher education, which is different than attacking the student body. 

I understand you experienced the death of a dream because of these policies, but I assure you it isn't limited to Harvard, and I wouldn't disparage the bright minds and groundbreaking work they do there there because of it. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Putting all the clothing and Ivy League talk aside for a moment, I think what should be at the  ❤️ of this discussion in terms of The faux intellect, Jeremy, is the fact that he chose a fully uneducated Duggar to be his life partner. How does a person like Jeremy even find a topic to discuss with Jinger? Is it a constant lecture? Does Jinger take notes, or is she required to do so? I wonder if Jinger has taught Jeremy anything beyond the physics of a full, open coffee cup in a fast moving car, how to change a diaper and the JB school of ripping people off? The reality does not match Jeremy’s self perception at all.

i think Jeremy mainly discusses felicity with JInger. I doubt he even lets her write out the cheques. 

Jeremy is very controlled and Jinger knew that and emulates what he wants. 

• Upvote 3

He doesn’t want a clever wife, as that would make him feel less clever. He wants someone to take his photo and make eyes at him. 

The biggest giveaway of quite how pseudo his pseudo-intellectualism is his perfect bookshelves and polished shoes. Most of the intellectual heavyweights I’ve met have stacks of well-thumbed books and notes covering the floor of their study, their socks are not curated, and their shoes are definitely not polished... Just fuck off Jeremy, with your pretentious imagery, and come back when you have something of substance to say, and are willing to robustly defend it. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

Is it a constant lecture?

I think this is exactly the reason why he choose Jinger.

He wants a pretty doll he can lecture to all day.

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

When I visited Harvard and Yale, we bought fancy pint glasses with the fancy crests on them. 

Now when I drink beer  water at home, I can feel smarter. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 24

My lasting memory of the pseudo intellect Jeremy is from the moving/yard sale episode when during a transaction with a Spanish speaking woman, Jeremy didn’t know the Spanish word for the #10. And he thinks he’s going to master ancient languages? Dude lived in South Texas for how many years and didn’t even master the numbers 1-10? Complete idiot or lazy, take your pick!

• Upvote 20
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

@SassyPants,  I just counted to twenty in Spanish and my Spanish classes were about 50 years ago.  The numbers are fucking easy.  I think you'd basically learn those by osmosis if you were living in an area with lots of Mexicans.

Heck, pretty much every American kid could count to four in Spanish in 1965 due to the popularity of "Wooly Bully"

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I think you'd basically learn those by osmosis if you were living in an area with lots of Mexicans.

I have worked predominantly with Spanish speaking people my whole career and I struggle to pick the language up.  I know 10 but only if I run through the other numbers in my head first.

Yet my son, as my grandfather before him, picks up languages quite easily.  We're not all created equal in how we absorb other languages.  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

This may not be a popular opinion, but I kinda felt bad for Jinger losing her deal.  She has done nothing wrong. It was her idiot brother.  I've actually been glad to see her doing her own thing and moving away from her family. 

• Downvote 1
  • Disgust 1
  • WTF 6

3 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

@BernRul again, what you've described applies to many universities, not just ivy league. My alma mater was not ivy league, but still cost 50k. They only provide need-based scholarships, but obviously that doesn't always help people who are lower middle class that still wouldn't qualify (as opposed to impoverished? Idk the distinctions). Affluent people have a leg up when applying to any university. To me it appears you have more of a problem with how the US/ the college's admin regulate higher education, which is different than attacking the student body. 

I understand you experienced the death of a dream because of these policies, but I assure you it isn't limited to Harvard, and I wouldn't disparage the bright minds and groundbreaking work they do there there because of it. 

I have a problem with treating Harvard as if it's the standard of intelligence (as I said in my first comment) when it's the standard of privilage, luck, and wealth. 

I also never disparaged anyone or attacked anyone once. But I'm not going to assume someone is  extremely smart just because they went to Harvard.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, BernRul said:

I have a problem with treating Harvard as if it's the standard of intelligence (as I said in my first comment) when it's the standard of privilage, luck, and wealth. 

I also never disparaged anyone or attacked anyone once. But I'm not going to assume someone is  extremely smart just because they went to Harvard.

Hence the "gentleman's C."

1 hour ago, BernRul said:

• Upvote 2

I was in a bookstore and picked up a book on Chinese acting troupes in the early days of USA.  There was a rumpled looking man beside me who I was trying to ignore.  The man says “you need to buy that book!”

Turns out rumpled man was a Professor of History and he gave me a quick lesson on the book.  I now have a little crush on this nice man.  He was so friendly and comfortable to be around.

My point being,  wear whatever you want, the truth comes out when you open your mouth.  

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 11

4 hours ago, BernRul said:

The Ivies (and a few "public ivy" universities) have legacy admission programs - preference to children (and sometimes grandchildren or other extended family members) of graduates. Harvard admits twice as many legacy students as the other universities of it's caliber. These students were already more likely to be admitted - their families had more money and opportunity.

The worst part of being economically disadvantaged is that sometimes you can get into these places, but you still can't go. Need Based scholarships don't cover moving expenses, or flights to visit the campus, or all the "stuff" that makes going off to college more bearable.

I'll never forget the time someone asked me (at my state college) how come I came to college without any money. Um, because I don't have any money? So no, I can't go shopping and buy decorations; No, I can't afford to go out to eat when the dining hall suddenly decided to go on strike. No, I can't buy the alternative/extra textbook that was recommended at the last minute. No, I can't just "fly home" for the weekend.

I don't care if someone wears shirts from universities that they aren't affiliated with. Schools are basically brands now, anyway.

• Upvote 16
  • Love 5

10 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I think this is exactly the reason why he choose Jinger.

He wants a pretty doll he can lecture to all day.

But Jinger is a lover of all things classical!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic