IGNORED

JinJer 51: Can't Even Sell Donuts!

Destiny

13 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Putting all the clothing and Ivy League talk aside for a moment, I think what should be at the  ❤️ of this discussion in terms of The faux intellect, Jeremy, is the fact that he chose a fully uneducated Duggar to be his life partner. How does a person like Jeremy even find a topic to discuss with Jinger? Is it a constant lecture? Does Jinger take notes, or is she required to do so? I wonder if Jinger has taught Jeremy anything beyond the physics of a full, open coffee cup in a fast moving car, how to change a diaper and the JB school of ripping people off? The reality does not match Jeremy’s self perception at all.

Don’t forget that Jinger is “knowledgeable” in flipping cars. I am sure she could talk your ears off with all that she knows. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11

22 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Well, although there ain't a hope in hell of me ever going there, I'll be rocking some UNLV gear soon. #2 son will finish there after his first 2 years at CSN, and yes, I'll be rocking CSN gear too. I'll be showing off to support my kid. I also have University of Colorado, Denver gear. Couldn't tell you where it is but my daughter is completing her Master's there (she did her undergrad there too) and #1 son is finishing undergrad there. Don't rightly give a shit if you like it or not. I'm rocking the UCDenver mom bumper sticker (on my back window), and CSN (College of Southern Nevada) and UNLV mom will have places of honor. Ranks right up there with my Navy Wife sticker that will NEVER come off my car...if I get a new one, I get a new sticker. Personally, it ranks right up there with my Golden Knights sticker/gear...never been to a game in person (tickets are expensive and traffic/crowds suck) but damn skippy I keep track of 'em...

Yay! Another hockey fan! My car sports a Blackhawks decal and license plate bracket. 

I, too, wear a sweatshirt from my son’s school. I am proud of his success and want people to ask about his university. It gives me the opportunity to brag. 

My husband and other son are in law enforcement.  Our other vehicles have “Back the Blue” stickers to support police officers. 

There is nothing wrong displaying pride in something. I think everyone’s hang up with Jinger and Jeremy is that they aren’t wearing Harvard shirts as a sense of pride.  They are arrogant and boastful. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Sweet Caroline said:

Yay! Another hockey fan! My car sports a Blackhawks decal and license plate bracket. 

I have a big Golden Knights decal on my back window. I'm currently rocking a Knights hoodie. The team is insanely popular here...home games are almost always sold out and the ticket prices range from a car payment to a mortgage payment. Most games are televised locally because of that. 

One Knights fan greeting another Knights fan can last for hours in the grocery store! Should be really interesting when the Raiders move here next year. The new stadium is crazy...drove by it today. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, patsymae said:

But Jinger is a lover of all things classical!

Yeah, and when I was newly married I went to a Bears game and pretended to be happy about it.  

At some point Jinger will find the new has worn off and we'll all get to see if it is, indeed, possible to be literally bored to death.

26 minutes ago, Sweet Caroline said:

I think everyone’s hang up with Jinger and Jeremy is that they aren’t wearing Harvard shirts as a sense of pride.

Fwiw I don't wear anything out of a sense of pride, I wear stuff because it's comfy or it makes me feel cute.

I can't imagine putting the level of thought into what I wear, much less what others are wearing, that I'm seeing here.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I have a big Golden Knights decal on my back window. I'm currently rocking a Knights hoodie. The team is insanely popular here...home games are almost always sold out and the ticket prices range from a car payment to a mortgage payment. Most games are televised locally because of that. 

One Knights fan greeting another Knights fan can last for hours in the grocery store! Should be really interesting when the Raiders move here next year. The new stadium is crazy...drove by it today. 

The Blackhawks are huge right now after winning 3 Cups in 6 years. The United Center is packed and ticket prices are ridiculous. I am fortunate to go to many games because my dad has season tickets, has for over 50 years. 

As a child, we went to different arenas to see all the teams play. I would love to go to Vegas to see the Golden Knights. I have heard great things about their arena and it’s atmosphere. One day...

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sweet Caroline said:

The Blackhawks are huge right now after winning 3 Cups in 6 years. The United Center is packed and ticket prices are ridiculous. I am fortunate to go to many games because my dad has season tickets, has for over 50 years. 

As a child, we went to different arenas to see all the teams play. I would love to go to Vegas to see the Golden Knights. I have heard great things about their arena and it’s atmosphere. One day...

Let me know when you come...

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Putting all the clothing and Ivy League talk aside for a moment, I think what should be at the  ❤️ of this discussion in terms of The faux intellect, Jeremy, is the fact that he chose a fully uneducated Duggar to be his life partner. How does a person like Jeremy even find a topic to discuss with Jinger? Is it a constant lecture? Does Jinger take notes, or is she required to do so? I wonder if Jinger has taught Jeremy anything beyond the physics of a full, open coffee cup in a fast moving car, how to change a diaper and the JB school of ripping people off? The reality does not match Jeremy’s self perception at all.

This is a bit much. Im a nanny who doesn't use her associates degree. The last guy I dated was a doctor who attended Ivy League schools. I was intimated to even go on a date with him, but we didn't have too much trouble casting about topics to discuss. Family, experiences, food, music, tv, books, friends, hopes, dreams, etc. I'd probably be bored dating the exact opposite of myself.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Here, that would be impossible, because Canadiens merch is everywhere. ? One in every three person you come across in the subway will have a Canadiens hat, cap, jacket, etc.

Even if we are slowly going down the ranking this year (no comment on that). The logo is just cool and legendary.

I'm more impressed when I see a Canadiens logo abroad. It happened once in Barcelona. It was kind of funny because I just went ''Go Habs Go!'' and we all were like ''HEY! From Montreal! Cool!'' and started chatting from there.

PS: Talking about sports merch, the Montreal Expos logo is the OG vintage one that I love, but I don't know squat about baseball.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

How does a person like Jeremy find anything to talk about with a person like Jinger? Easy. Jeremy is just as vapid as she is. They're both nincompoops. Jeremy is more educated and worldly, sure, but he's probably not much smarter than she is, and I doubt he's even much more knowledgeable. He shows no real intellectual curiosity. Do you think Jeremy actually dreams of discussing the nuances of world history, foreign politics, or classic literature with his wife? He wants to talk about the best Instagram filters, which restaurants will look best on Instagram, how they should photograph their Instagram prop baby, and which Christian celebrities they might have a shot at rubbing shoulders with. Dude's an airhead.

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 3

Our Knights are forever conversation pieces here. Everything from dissecting the last game to Fleury's father dying to which Knight just had the new baby. We can literally talk for hours about the team. We love them and they love us. Nobody will forget what the entire Knights organization did after the 1 October shooting, before they'd even played their very first home game at T-Mobile stadium (aka "The Fortress"). So, it's a thing here...and yes, we're even known internationally now.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

Our Knights are forever conversation pieces here. Everything from dissecting the last game to Fleury's father dying to which Knight just had the new baby. We can literally talk for hours about the team. We love them and they love us. Nobody will forget what the entire Knights organization did after the 1 October shooting, before they'd even played their very first home game at T-Mobile stadium (aka "The Fortress"). So, it's a thing here...and yes, we're even known internationally now.

I'll trade, want a preds team that is having massive trust issues now?

The topic of "good" schools has been on my mind for a while now as we are currently looking into schools for our toddler - it starts early here in Belgium as kindergarden is effectively school (école maternelle).

I've discussed this topic with a friend of mine who not only comes from old money, but is married to a baroness and moves in very privileged (aristocratic and/or extremely wealthy) circles both in Belgium and other European countries. His friends and family have all attended the best schools, both public and private. They get into the best public ones because they know the right people; they get into the best private ones because they have the money and their parents, grandparents, and great-grand parents attended before them.

My husband and I come from academic upper middle-class backgrounds, but most of our grandparents were farmers and/or working class. We earn well and have a comfortable life, but we're by far neither rich nor well-connected. Both my husband and I went to public schools, not in the most deprived areas, but I'm pretty sure the schools we attended are not necessarily what people have in mind when they think of "good" schools.

I can confidently say that both my husband and I are smarter, more open-minded and more knowledgeable than my friend who had every opportunity money and connections could buy. The people I have met and insights I have gained into my friend's circles since getting to know him have also left me slightly wary of the wealthy aristocratic élite's intellectual prowess in general - most of them are either pretty dumb or if they are smart often lack the intellectual curiosity or motivation to educate themselves, simply because they are aware that they will never need to earn their living or if they want a job, they won't ever need to rely on a useful degree or good grade. It will be enough to chat with your daddy's friend.

My friend for example didn't finish any university degree, but he went to an excellent private school and is currently managing director of a company funded by his wife's uncle who is a billionaire. He's very concerned about his daughters getting into the "right" schools, and they most certainly will because he's aiming for schools with a family connection.

Our daughter most likely won't get into these schools. We don't have a family connection, and I doubt we could afford the fees. Not to mention that she'd be the "poor" one with the "wrong background" there anyway.

It's not fair, and it makes me angry at times.

• Upvote 27
  • Confused 1

Jeremy had a taste of limited fame with his soccer - he liked it. He was never going to be content as a minister with 30 people in his congregation but like most involved in Duggarville he wasn’t too keen on hard work and effort.

He saw his friend Ben living a comfortable life with a pretty submissive wife and TV fame. I dare say he thought he was brighter than Ben and could capitalise more. He said he was attracted to Jinger because she was meek. She was young, uneducated and had expressed a desire to live in a city- he saw an opportunity. In an early post after their marriage Jinger said something along the lines of ‘Jeremy loves books so now I do too’. If you really love books it’s hard to imagine having much in common with someone who never reads and now only does so to please you.

As the PP said above- what they have in common is they are vapid, vain, entitled and want a standard of living they don’t want to have to work any harder for than posing with a donut. 

Add to that Jeremy has horrible beliefs and Jinger was raised to think they are right and normal. 

I find them interesting because they face a dilemma- the Duggar brand is what brought them fame but they are finding it hinders their marketability in their new life. Will they loosen ties with Duggarville and try to establish their own brand or move back to a public that isn’t more welcoming of their views? 

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

The topic of "good" schools has been on my mind for a while now as we are currently looking into schools for our toddler - it starts early here in Belgium as kindergarden is effectively school (école maternelle).

I've discussed this topic with a friend of mine who not only comes from old money, but is married to a baroness and moves in very privileged (aristocratic and/or extremely wealthy) circles both in Belgium and other European countries. His friends and family have all attended the best schools, both public and private. They get into the best public ones because they know the right people; they get into the best private ones because they have the money and their parents, grandparents, and great-grand parents attended before them.

My husband and I come from academic upper middle-class backgrounds, but most of our grandparents were farmers and/or working class. We earn well and have a comfortable life, but we're by far neither rich nor well-connected. Both my husband and I went to public schools, not in the most deprived areas, but I'm pretty sure the schools we attended are not necessarily what people have in mind when they think of "good" schools.

I can confidently say that both my husband and I are smarter, more open-minded and more knowledgeable than my friend who had every opportunity money and connections could buy. The people I have met and insights I have gained into my friend's circles since getting to know him have also left me slightly wary of the wealthy aristocratic élite's intellectual prowess in general - most of them are either pretty dumb or if they are smart often lack the intellectual curiosity or motivation to educate themselves, simply because they are aware that they will never need to earn their living or if they want a job, they won't ever need to rely on a useful degree or good grade. It will be enough to chat with your daddy's friend.

My friend for example didn't finish any university degree, but he went to an excellent private school and is currently managing director of a company funded by his wife's uncle who is a billionaire. He's very concerned about his daughters getting into the "right" schools, and they most certainly will because he's aiming for schools with a family connection.

Our daughter most likely won't get into these schools. We don't have a family connection, and I doubt we could afford the fees. Not to mention that she'd be the "poor" one with the "wrong background" there anyway.

This and what @Maggie Mae said sum up my feelings, and what I meant by my initial post.

Legacy admission should not be a thing. Family connections shouldn't influence who gets admitted to the best schools, whether college or otherwise. And if that's impossible to change, can we please stop pretending it's about intelligence?

If a  poor or average person has to be Superman and win the lottery to get in, while a rich legacy kid only needs decent ish grades, than it's not about smarts, it's about perpetuating the elite class.

Does anyone really think that the Trumps are the best and brightest? Like SweetJuly says, a lot of legacy families are very sheltered and not smarter than the rest of us. 

Edited by BernRul
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

@Idlewild, yes the dichotomy Between what these people think they are, and what they present to the world via their words, decisions, behaviors and beliefs is the most perplexing  element worthy of discussion. 

• Upvote 6

On 1/7/2020 at 7:34 AM, SassyPants said:

I will constantly point to Jeremy and Audrey Roloff’s podcast for a glimpse at the true Jeremy and Jinger. It was so upsetting to listen to. Jeremy preached on and Jinger would chime in with Michelleisms on her blessing of a child and to agree with whatever Jeremy said. It was startling and gross, you could tell Jeremy did not marry Jinger for her brain, he married her because she’s a “meek, yes-woman” who will co-sign whatever he says and give him a glimpse of fame.

• Upvote 16

14 hours ago, feministxtian said:

If ya really wanna impress me, a PHD from MIT works...

Now I have this stuck in my head:

unimpressed shania twain GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10

8 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

I am with you. It is totally not fair and it makes me angry too. I'm currently applying to transfer colleges and I'm mostly sticking to universities that are in my state or in a state not that far from us. There is this trend on Youtube where people open their college acceptance letters on camera and a majority of these people are applying to like all 8 ivy league schools and most of the top 25 schools in the country. Watching these videos makes me feel not good enough because I know my family can never afford a well known school like Harvard or Yale.  And it's hard getting full rides or mostly full rides. Everyone in my family has gone to a state school except for one of the in laws that went to William and Mary. We care about education, but not really where you get your education. My dream school is a private liberal arts music school in the south but I know going there will be impossible. Yet I also know I will make great connections and have great opportunities at the state school I'm planning on going to, and it's looking like I will be getting a full tuition scholarship. I just wish people cared more about the actually education you got from school and not the name of the school that you went to. That's classist and elist thinking and I am not here for that. 

Edited by haroldtheyrefundies
  • Upvote 12
  • Love 4

This reminded me of this tee-shirt I had years ago. It had the Harvard logo on it but in small print under the logo it said.... I didn't go there. That was a good shirt. 

As for wearing college branded logo I will admit I wear a lot of University of Alabama apparel. I didn't go to U of A but I went to the University of South Alabama and we used to cheer for the Crimson Tide since our school didn't have a football team at the time. I live in New York now so I get a lot of looks sometimes. I kind of attach it to people who wear I love New York shirts but have never been to NYC. Just a thing people do. 

• Upvote 1

William & Mary is a state school. It's also a fantastic school as are many state schools.

I agree legacy admissions are a problem. There's also growing awareness of the problem that students who are the first generation to go to college may not have the support they need to get through effectively. It's great when schools include some form of support the people may not inherently know from family experience what is expected of them. Some of those expectations are really unclear unless you are brought up just knowing it

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I'm a little disappointed there's been all this talk about Harvard and not ONE Elle Woods reference.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 23
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

I'm a little disappointed there's been all this talk about Harvard and not ONE Elle Woods reference.

Like it's hard? ??

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 17
  • Thank You 1

I’m a William and Mary alum and it’s definitely a state school! My husband and daughter are both ridiculously gifted and academically intelligent. My husband did state schools, including med school. He matched with a solid residence program in pediatrics....several of his counterparts came from Ivys or other expensive private schools. He’s laughing all the way to the bank with his $120K loans compared to their more than $300K loans. 

My ridiculously gifted daughter brought up Harvard and I was like, nope, state school for you. There is literally no good reason to rack up debt and burn yourself out trying to get in for something that doesn’t really matter that much in the long run.  Go to an affordable state school that has a solid program and enjoy being at university!  There is nothing wrong with average. Most of us, despite going to high caliber schools, live regular, normal happy lives.  

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

By the time my kiddos are ready for college, we will have enough for both of them to attend State U.  They are 12 and (almost) 9...and we are already having discussions about affording college and not breaking the bank of Mom and Dad to do it.  My kids are not going to be high-powered doctors or lawyers...State U is going to be great for them.  If they want to go private, then they’ll have to go to CC first.

William and Mary has a co-enrollment program for Thomas Nelson students to cut down the cost...boom.

• Upvote 4

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic