IGNORED

John David and Abbie 9: Yet Another Baby Watch - Grace is Here!

Coconut Flan

Canadian who until getting pregnant was cold all the time. I used a feather bed under the fitted sheet, duvet with flannelette cover, blankets on top of the duvet and heavy polar fleece pyjamas. I was hot during most of my pregnancy and even though my kiddo will be a year in December, I still am hot. Hormones are weird. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

On 10/30/2020 at 11:00 AM, SassyPants said:

NO! NO! NO! Did you ever watch Martha Stewart’s easy steps for folding a fitted sheet? It’s like 10 steps. Um, hell no. I’ve been trying for many decades and have given up on folding a fitted sheet flat- I’d rather do duvet covers all day long.

I have a theory about Martha. I have followed her recipes, I have tried to make her crafts. And I firmly believe this woman leaves out at least one critical step in all of her projects. I tried to make butterfly wings (out of felt) from some directions of hers. First step? Buy blue felt. Think maybe you could tell me how MUCH felt? and then it was "enlarge this image to 111.5%"... REALLY? 
That's my theory - she leaves one step out to make her self feel superior. Or because she has a staff to do things - I don't know why - but I don't trust her. 

And I have folded fitted sheets to something approximating a rectangle but... it's not pretty. 
A duvet and cover is like a giant and unwieldy pillow being stuffed in a pillow case. Those doohickie clippy things help (mine are like mitten clips) and I put them in all four corners and in the middle of the seam on the top of a king sized duvet. And then I just argue with it and swear at it until it bends to my will.

I also like a duvet and cover because I can completely swap out the look of the room for the season, or if I'm bored with the navy blue I can get a cover that is sunshine yellow. And if I'm really desperate and crafty - they're dead simple to make! 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, Meggo said:

I have a theory about Martha. I have followed her recipes, I have tried to make her crafts. And I firmly believe this woman leaves out at least one critical step in all of her projects. I tried to make butterfly wings (out of felt) from some directions of hers. First step? Buy blue felt. Think maybe you could tell me how MUCH felt? and then it was "enlarge this image to 111.5%"... REALLY? 
That's my theory - she leaves one step out to make her self feel superior. Or because she has a staff to do things - I don't know why - but I don't trust her. 

And I have folded fitted sheets to something approximating a rectangle but... it's not pretty. 
A duvet and cover is like a giant and unwieldy pillow being stuffed in a pillow case. Those doohickie clippy things help (mine are like mitten clips) and I put them in all four corners and in the middle of the seam on the top of a king sized duvet. And then I just argue with it and swear at it until it bends to my will.

I also like a duvet and cover because I can completely swap out the look of the room for the season, or if I'm bored with the navy blue I can get a cover that is sunshine yellow. And if I'm really desperate and crafty - they're dead simple to make! 

Every Martha recipe I've tried has been so gross. I completely agree with you. I swear she leaves things out on purpose. Alton on the other hand, that man taught me how to make the fluffiest eggs ever. It's yummy.

• Upvote 8

5 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Every Martha recipe I've tried has been so gross. I completely agree with you. I swear she leaves things out on purpose. Alton on the other hand, that man taught me how to make the fluffiest eggs ever. It's yummy.

She has a recipe for sweet potatoes that I just love, but they are for a savory curried sweet potato. Most people don't like their sweet potatoes savory in the US. And my partner won't touch any sweet potato or yam, so I never make them any more. :(

25 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

LOVE me some Alton!! 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

On 10/26/2020 at 10:26 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Am I the only one who had sweaty kids? My son woke up looking like a swamp monster most morning. He out grew this but until he was about 6 or 7 he would put off so much heat at night no matter what type of cover situation he had going, he was a sweaty mess in the morning.  DD would never go for sleeping in her clothes once she was about 6. We tried to get them to sleep in their clothes a couple times when we were going on vacation, DS was down, but little sister, NOPE, pajamas are for sleeping, clothes are for going out. If you were too look up the word stubborn there would be a picture of her next to it. ?

My kids, especially my poor daughter, are the sweatiest kids I’ve ever seen. They are just always wet and sweaty even in the winter. 

• I Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Sullie06 said:

My kids, especially my poor daughter, are the sweatiest kids I’ve ever seen. They are just always wet and sweaty even in the winter. 

I’m always hot. I wear short sleeve shirts to bed even in the winter. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

26 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Considering my age, you would think I get night sweats. Nope. In the winter I have been known to even layer an old robe over my pajamas. And the more blankets the better. The only thing I can't stand are having socks on when I sleep. For some reason, I like my feet to feel cooler. 

• Upvote 2

I’m the complete opposite; I can’t sleep when my feet are cold. The rest of me can be warm but my feet are always blocks of ice. In the winter, I sleep with socks on or I can’t sleep.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Considering my age, you would think I get night sweats. Nope. In the winter I have been known to even layer an old robe over my pajamas. And the more blankets the better. The only thing I can't stand are having socks on when I sleep. For some reason, I like my feet to feel cooler. 

I sleep with 3 blankets & no socks. When I was in college I wore pajama shorts a lot because my room was very hot. 

1 hour ago, Sullie06 said:

Oh this is 100% me. I sweat in 50 and 60 degree weather if I’m wearing a sweater or long sleeve. I just woke up from napping with a blanket in a sweater and my work pants and I was sweating head to toe when I woke up. I also have to have cold feet to sleep because having my feet warm makes me sweat worse. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I'm remind of visiting my family in the Dominican Republic in the summer. Of course it is boiling hot, but in the room us girls slept in we kept the window a/c unit cranked up so high that I would sleep with several blankets. 

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

That’s how she is. People are like “is she okay?” And I’m like she’s just sweaty

14 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

Oh this is 100% me. I sweat in 50 and 60 degree weather if I’m wearing a sweater or long sleeve. I just woke up from napping with a blanket in a sweater and my work pants and I was sweating head to toe when I woke up. I also have to have cold feet to sleep because having my feet warm makes me sweat worse. 

My husband is like this. They must get it from him. He wears shorts well into the winter 

• Upvote 3

I run an ac in the bedroom and my husband turns on his side of the telectric blanket. Do you think we have a problem?

• Haha 8

11 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

She has a recipe for sweet potatoes that I just love, but they are for a savory curried sweet potato. Most people don't like their sweet potatoes savory in the US. And my partner won't touch any sweet potato or yam, so I never make them any more. :(

I heard somewhere that Americans don't really eat pumpkin outside of desserts like pumpkin pie. Is this true? You guys are missing out on amazing roast pumpkin.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, baldricks_turnip said:

I heard somewhere that Americans don't really eat pumpkin outside of desserts like pumpkin pie. Is this true? You guys are missing out on amazing roast pumpkin.

Or pumpkin soup! Which is the best soup there is.

I will make it today so I can eat it all week for lunch (perks of working from home)

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

I would say sweet pumpkin recipes are definitely rare in Germany. I haven’t seen pumpkin purée in the shelves for example, so you would have to make your own purée for muffins and such. We use the whole thing and chip it up. Simi so we definitely roast it, make soup, fill it or put it in curries.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

17 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I'm fat, I'm 50 & I'm in the throws of menopause, I haven't been cold since 1997. 

• Haha 19
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, baldricks_turnip said:

Most of the pumpkin in canned pumpkin pie filling is another kind of squash here.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

I went to Australia for 3 weeks a couple of years ago. NYer here. One of the main things I learned is that people eat pumpkin savory!!! They served it at a dinner once. I mean I'd had savory squash of all kinds cuz Thanksgiving but garlicky savory roast pumpkin?!? Complete palate shock. And they couldn't believe that we eat it loaded up with brown sugar and all that stuff. There was a mutual pumpkin culture shock. We get pumpkins to carve and make pie. I don't know if I'd have it savory again. IDK the concept was just weird. But I realize the texture is the same as squash and I eat pretty much anything so never say never to food things lol

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

That’s how she is. People are like “is she okay?” And I’m like she’s just sweaty

My husband is like this. They must get it from him. He wears shorts well into the winter 

I wear shorts in the winter too. I’m hot blooded and I like my legs to be free. If I’m cold, I put on a hoodie. A hoodie and shorts are my go to comfy clothes. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

went to Australia for 3 weeks a couple of years ago. NYer here. One of the main things I learned is that people eat pumpkin savory!!

Roast pumpkin, and pumpkin soup are winter staples in my Australian home.  I volunteer for a soup kitchen and will buy two whole pumpkins and use a big boiler to make a huge batch of pumpkin soup. It’s delicious!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

On 11/2/2020 at 4:17 PM, OyToTheVey said:

Martha’s cookbooks are AWFUL.  Her recipes are all fails.  I am amazed people still buy her books.  I will stick with Ina Gartner. Her recipes are easy to follow and always crowd pleasers. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic