IGNORED

John David and Abbie 9: Yet Another Baby Watch - Grace is Here!

Coconut Flan

44 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Lord these lot are boring,  no one has had anything to say about them since January. Not a bad thing I suppose? 
cash a bit low? Selling clothes to make ends meet? 
Pure speculation of course! 

94932E14-64FF-46E3-8EC0-1104C74DBC91.png

I think it’s interesting that she’s selling baby clothes instead of holding onto them for future children or passing them on to Kendra for Brooklyn or Jessa if she’s having another girl. Maybe they’ve decided they’re one and done? Or maybe she just didn’t like the material or the way these things fit Grace. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

I’m guessing she just has a lot of baby girl clothes and she’s getting rid of the ones that aren’t her favorites or don’t fit well. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 9

On 1/18/2021 at 4:10 PM, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Yes, but in Baptist churches, baptism is a commitment you make when you're "old enough" to make it yourself. They see baptism as something too sacred to be decided. Of course some churches do baptize children and teens.  A lot of these children probably get pressured into being baptized. I grew up Catholic and I feel the same way about Confirmation. 

I definitely got pressured into being confirmed. Basically I could go to any other church I wanted - but I had to also go to the Catholic church. I didn't want to get confirmed but it was basically impressed upon me that I had no choice. Interesting that I did leave the church - and my mom is now all upset because even though we send our son to a Catholic school - he's not baptized, not getting first communion this year etc. And my mom is VERY worried that the other kids will make fun of him. Which you know - is totally a reason to baptize my 8 year old into a faith we don't practice so he can get his first communion... 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

It does seem odd, most people sell/declutter baby clothes when they're done. I would be shocked if they were one or done, but who knows. JD/Abbie have always marched to the beat of a drum that's always been a little off rhythm. 

• Upvote 8

I think they get sent a lot of stuff by deluded fans so she’s offloading the excess stuff by selling it - not donating it to one of the fundie ‘pregnancy care centres’ which you might expect. 

Edited by Idlewild
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Meggo said:

I definitely got pressured into being confirmed. Basically I could go to any other church I wanted - but I had to also go to the Catholic church. I didn't want to get confirmed but it was basically impressed upon me that I had no choice. Interesting that I did leave the church - and my mom is now all upset because even though we send our son to a Catholic school - he's not baptized, not getting first communion this year etc. And my mom is VERY worried that the other kids will make fun of him. Which you know - is totally a reason to baptize my 8 year old into a faith we don't practice so he can get his first communion... 

My husband and I are confirmation teachers. Our kids have a meeting with the priest and DRE (diocesean safe environment rules prohibit private meetings between minors and unrelated adults). They are asked some questions including if they want to be confirmed of their own will. If they say no, they’re not confirmed. None of our kids have said no. At least two in other classes have and they were not confirmed. Both in spite of the objections of their parents.  Three kids have not returned for the second year of preparation in our classes because they didn’t want to be confirmed. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 2

9 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

My husband and I are confirmation teachers. Our kids have a meeting with the priest and DRE (diocesean safe environment rules prohibit private meetings between minors and unrelated adults). They are asked some questions including if they want to be confirmed of their own will. If they say no, they’re not confirmed. None of our kids have said no. At least two in other classes have and they were not confirmed. Both in spite of the objections of their parents.  Three kids have not returned for the second year of preparation in our classes because they didn’t want to be confirmed. 

I think that's sensible - I went along with it because I kind of hoped "adult in my faith" meant I could decide NOT to go.. that wasn't an option. I did stop going at 18 (after a few years of skipping but bringing the church bulletin as "proof" that I went - as requested). And then when I stopped there was a lot of begging and pleading. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Meggo said:

I think that's sensible - I went along with it because I kind of hoped "adult in my faith" meant I could decide NOT to go.. that wasn't an option. I did stop going at 18 (after a few years of skipping but bringing the church bulletin as "proof" that I went - as requested). And then when I stopped there was a lot of begging and pleading. 

Aside from being baptized as an infant, you’re not supposed to receive sacraments against your will. In fact, they’re not considered valid. 
And a lot of confirmation teaching has moved away from the “becoming an adult in the church” rhetoric. Our kids our confirmed around age 14 (spring of 8th grade) so they’re certainly not adults.  We teach it as the final sacrament of initiation marking a fullness of participation and a rite in which they affirm the promises made at their baptism for themselves. But we don’t pretend they’re suddenly adults. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, viii said:

It does seem odd, most people sell/declutter baby clothes when they're done. I would be shocked if they were one or done, but who knows. JD/Abbie have always marched to the beat of a drum that's always been a little off rhythm. 

I’m kind of surprised she doesn’t just off-load unwanted items to the Duggar storage vault, but a little cash on the side for things that aren’t your favorites is never a bad plan. I doubt they are done-done - but I know lots of people who only kept their favorites even when figuring they’d have more kids, and craigslisted/yard saled/donated the rest. 

She’s the one who had severe hyperemises  right? Being a nurse, and seeming to have a very tight relationship with a man who appears head over heals in-love with her —- they may have decided on, at minimum, having a well spaced 1-3 kids and not trying to raise toddlers and possibly endure another similar pregnancy. Particularly if she had to be hospitalized, on high dose meds, etc.

• Upvote 8

1 minute ago, louisa05 said:

Aside from being baptized as an infant, you’re not supposed to receive sacraments against your will. In fact, they’re not considered valid. 
And a lot of confirmation teaching has moved away from the “becoming an adult in the church” rhetoric. Our kids our confirmed around age 14 (spring of 8th grade) so they’re certainly not adults.  We teach it as the final sacrament of initiation marking a fullness of participation and a rite in which they affirm the promises made at their baptism for themselves. But we don’t pretend they’re suddenly adults. 

My parents are old school (and I'm in my mid 40s' - so this happened in ... 1988?). I'm glad that things are changing - but I didn't really see a valid option to NOT do it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

And if the parents have threatened to kick the kids out of the house if they're not confirmed, then they'll probably say yes. I have known families where the kids were free to make their own decisions and I have known families where the minors involved were told, you live in my house, you will be confirmed.

Personally I chose to be confirmed, but the Church maybe should stop performing sacraments with minors who aren't always in a position to say no. 

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

And if the parents have threatened to kick the kids out of the house if they're not confirmed, then they'll probably say yes. I have known families where the kids were free to make their own decisions and I have known families where the minors involved were told, you live in my house, you will be confirmed.

Personally I chose to be confirmed, but the Church maybe should stop performing sacraments with minors who aren't always in a position to say no. 

I got a LOT of crap from my mother too - because we were not getting married in the Catholic church. I even ended up calling her priest and talking to him about it. So that at least I could go back and say "Hey - we don't want it, he won't do it" but ... she is very much the rule following type of Catholic. Going to mass in a foreign language - but it "counts" because she went to mass, even if she didn't understand it. 

I think confirmation should happen later - but as a non Catholic... it's not up to me.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

She’s the one who had severe hyperemises  right? Being a nurse, and seeming to have a very tight relationship with a man who appears head over heals in-love with her —- they may have decided on, at minimum, having a well spaced 1-3 kids and not trying to raise toddlers and possibly endure another similar pregnancy. Particularly if she had to be hospitalized, on high dose meds, etc.

Seems like a very responsible decision to me. Maybe they are waiting till their daughter is older and doesn't require constant care. Don't John and Abbie live in a trailer? I could see getting rid of baby clothes if I lived in a trailer and didn't plan on having another for 3-5 years.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

I have a friend who loved being pregnant, I think she would've ended up with a baseball team if she could've. But her most recent pregnancy has made her horrifically sick, still needing IV fluids well into her second trimester and she has said never again will she be pregnant.  I don't know the specifics of how bad Abbie felt but it's very possible they're at least deciding to space some kids out because of it. But it's equally as possible  she just wants to make a little extra cash on clothes she either didn't like or thought would be worth the most. I saw someone suggest elsewhere that these might not even be her clothes but clothes she picked up from thrift store shopping and she's reselling because she knows they're worth more, like a little side hustle business that some women do. So these clothes being listed could very well mean absolutely nothing except that Abbie wants some cash.

• Upvote 12

I'm not trying to change the subject (and a mod may want to move this to a more relevant thread), just looking for a recent John and Abbie post to comment in.  Something that's bothered me in the years as John and now Austin (and perhaps other Duggars) have taken up piloting small aircraft, it seems hardly a month goes by that there's not some story in the news of an amateur pilot, often with family members on board, going down in a small plane.  For some reason more of these accidents seem to happen in the SE United States which is "Duggar territory."  John David strikes me as a very responsible young man with a good work ethic (amazing on its own when you consider his "role models" like JB and Josh), but accidents DO happen, and it would not surprise me to flip on the news one day and see that a small plane piloted by a Duggar has gone down.  They often fly even short trips when driving wouldn't take much longer and would cost a lot less.  Unlike car accidents, it's rare that anyone walks away from an air crash.  I sincerely hope nothing like this ever happens, but the risk definitely exists.  I've never heard of this couple, but this story was just reported by WACB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGc1YZ3_dhQ

Edited by watchdog
  • Upvote 3

I think it's interesting that she's looking at poshmark. That's a cut above in the whole thrifting clothes game.

I would also think that she'd offer clothes to the SIL kids, but, there are so many babies, that they probably do regular clothing swaps and still end up with surplus.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, watchdog said:

I'm not trying to change the subject (and a mod may want to move this to a more relevant thread), just looking for a recent John and Abbie post to comment in.  Something that's bothered me in the years as John and now Austin (and perhaps other Duggars) have taken up piloting small aircraft, it seems hardly a month goes by that there's not some story in the news of an amateur pilot, often with family members on board, going down in a small plane.  For some reason more of these accidents seem to happen in the SE United States which is "Duggar territory."  John David strikes me as a very responsible young man with a good work ethic (amazing on its own when you consider his "role models" like JB and Josh), but accidents DO happen, and it would not surprise me to flip on the news one day and see that a small plane piloted by a Duggar has gone down.  They often fly even short trips when driving wouldn't take much longer and would cost a lot less.  Unlike car accidents, it's rare that anyone walks away from an air crash.  I sincerely hope nothing like this ever happens, but the risk definitely exists.  I've never heard of this couple, but this story was just reported by WACB.

The flying all the time for small trips bugs me. Someone needs to do a carbon footprint audit for the Duggars. I bet it's through the roof. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, watchdog said:

I sincerely hope nothing like this ever happens, but the risk definitely exists.  I've never heard of this couple, but this story was just reported by WOACB.

From what I hear, WOACB isn't always the most accurate source of information. The story in this video (I didn't watch it, but I recognize the couple) is about Gwen Shamblin Lara and her second husband Joe Lara. 

For those who aren't familiar with Gwen Shamblin, she started a "God centered" weight-loss program in the 90s called "Weigh Down". She then spun it off in to a church/cult called Remnant Fellowship in Brentwood, Tennessee. The RF anti-eating, "God-only-loves-skinny-people" cult has been discussed on FJ for a few years now. This weekend, a private plane crashed, with Gwen Shamblin Lara, Joe Lara, her son-in-law Brandon Hannah, and 2 couples who were very deep into RF aboard. Officials had confirmed that 7 sets of human remains have been recovered.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tennessee-plane-crash-gwen-shamblin-lara-joe-lara/#app

We've had several posters in the FJ Gwen Shamblin threads who have joined because they are former Remnant Fellowship members, or because they have family members who are still in the cult. We've also been visited by a person who is/was making a documentary about RF, and got verified by @Curious when there was some distrust about their initial posts.

Here's a link to the current Gwen Shamblin Lara thread:

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
Hit submit too soon
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, watchdog said:

Josiah, Jeremiah, and Katey (Jed!'s wife) Duggar are also pilots, who pilot small aircraft. Some of the Bates boys including Nathan are pilots. Tim Rod wants to be a pilot. One of the Bowers boys is a pilot. I have no idea why there are so many fundie pilots and I probably left out a few. 

Josiah's wife Lauren also has a Poshmark account.

• Thank You 2

Fundy men flock to the most dangerous jobs in the United States.  Not a great idea if you believe in having a wheelbarrow full of kids, no health insurance, possibly no life insurance, and an unskilled wife.

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics most dangerous occupations, 2020:

https://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfar0020.pdf

1. Fishers

2. Timber Cutters [I don't know if this includes tree surgeons, like the Bates]

3. Airplane Pilots

4. Metal workers

5. Taxicab

6. Construction laborer

7. roofers

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

On 5/31/2021 at 11:29 PM, SorenaJ said:

The flying all the time for small trips bugs me. Someone needs to do a carbon footprint audit for the Duggars. I bet it's through the roof. 

Disposable diapers, paper products and planes-they’re killing the planet!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

On 6/1/2021 at 2:29 AM, SorenaJ said:

I don't doubt their carbon footprint is high, but the flying often for small trips might be somewhat necessary. I don't know what the requirements are exactly, but I believe you have to keep up a certain number of hours to gain or maintain certifications, and if he ever wanted to become a commercial pilot he'd have to build up a large number of flight hours to even qualify.

Frankly I think it would be nice if he did become a commercial pilot or a private pilot for someone (mega-church pastor, NASCAR driver, celebrity, whoever) and cut any remaining purse-strings with JB and Michelle. He seems like the one Duggar boy who has a real work ethic. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Josiah, Jeremiah, and Katey (Jed!'s wife) Duggar are also pilots, who pilot small aircraft. Some of the Bates boys including Nathan are pilots. Tim Rod wants to be a pilot. One of the Bowers boys is a pilot. I have no idea why there are so many fundie pilots and I probably left out a few. 

Josiah's wife Lauren also has a Poshmark account.

You left out the Wissmann pilots. There are a few. Including Susannah Wissmann. A girl pilot! But she won’t be a commercial pilot like Jessica Richardson. She won’t be allowed. 

My best friend’s boyfriend is a farmer and pilot. He does crop dusting. At least he gets paid for his flying. So many fundies don’t seem to be paid for their flying unless they are acting as instructors. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

I don't doubt their carbon footprint is high, but the flying often for small trips might be somewhat necessary. I don't know what the requirements are exactly, but I believe you have to keep up a certain number of hours to gain or maintain certifications, and if he ever wanted to become a commercial pilot he'd have to build up a large number of flight hours to even qualify.

Frankly I think it would be nice if he did become a commercial pilot or a private pilot for someone (mega-church pastor, NASCAR driver, celebrity, whoever) and cut any remaining purse-strings with JB and Michelle. He seems like the one Duggar boy who has a real work ethic. 

Perhaps JD can become Jinger and Jeremy’s pilot - can only be a matter of time before the breakout couple need a private jet to take them to engagements ?

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 15
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You left out the Wissmann pilots. There are a few. Including Susannah Wissmann. A girl pilot! But she won’t be a commercial pilot like Jessica Richardson. She won’t be allowed. 

My best friend’s boyfriend is a farmer and pilot. He does crop dusting. At least he gets paid for his flying. So many fundies don’t seem to be paid for their flying unless they are acting as instructors. 

I also wondered why none of the Duggar pilots were employed as crop dusters. Seems like a good fit.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic