IGNORED

John David and Abbie 9: Yet Another Baby Watch - Grace is Here!

Coconut Flan

Even if they were used to the dorm style bedrooms, they were not ALLOWED to be alone or have privacy, that is my biggest issue. The boys aren't/weren't even allowed blankets, that is why they sleep in their clothes. 

Didn't JB used to time their bathroom breaks and showers so they wouldn't be in there too long to do doing dirty natural things?

• Sad 5
  • WTF 4

On 10/21/2020 at 1:13 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Even if they were used to the dorm style bedrooms, they were not ALLOWED to be alone or have privacy, that is my biggest issue. The boys aren't/weren't even allowed blankets, that is why they sleep in their clothes. 

I've read of some of the more 'devout' quiverfull families taking the blankets away during the day and only allowing them to be brought out at bedtime, but don't recall hearing that blankets weren't allowed at all.  But if a family has a lot of kids and little money, I guess it could happen.

Now, I could be wrong, but I think the older kids had pajamas when younger, and maybe the younger kids owned them, but when the Duggars got a show, they insisted that the kids not appear on camera unless fully clothed.  Since the parents are epically lazy, and they ran on 'Duggar Time', I could see them eventually saying the equivalent of "F--- it.  Put the kids to bed in the clothes they went to sleep in."  

That's assuming they actually put the kids to bed.  I've heard stories of the parents just going to bed and leaving any sleeping kids where they were, which probably helped Josh molest his sisters.  Getting a TV show probably helped the girls, since they were all put in the same dorm and could lock their doors to keep Josh out.  Apparently no one ever thought to sequester Josh so he couldn't wander around molesting young girls.  It didn't work anyway, since he resorted to molesting even younger girls during the day and in the end he went after a five year old in a room where other people were.  It speaks volumes that the girl knew enough to immediately make it known what was happening.  

On 10/21/2020 at 1:13 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Didn't JB used to time their bathroom breaks and showers so they wouldn't be in there too long to do doing dirty natural things?

Don't remember hearing about that.  A short time in the bathroom could be simply be because there were so many people in the house and only one bathroom.

I had to have short baths with only a couple of inches of water in the tub when I was growing up because our well took a long time to refresh if we used too much water, there was only one bathroom in our house, and I was one of five kids.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Flossie said:

A short time in the bathroom could be simply be because there were so many people in the house and only one bathroom

Yep, Six people and one bathroom, with the toilet in it. Showers were strictly timed in our house. But we all had our own bedrooms for privacy!

• Upvote 7

On 10/21/2020 at 10:13 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Blankets were allowed, but beds had no sheets, because too laundry work. I think Zsu did something similar. IMO made children sleep in their day clothes is a decision made out of exhaustion (too laundry again, or too tired sistermoms). Outdoors clothes and no bedsheets... It's not hygienic at all and no comfortable. A little but important detail about the impossibility to properly care for a enormous family.

Pearls were obsessed about monitoring toilet time for children and not giving them privacy, so Duggars probably share that opinion. This said, monitoring toilet time for 19 children in a house with several bathrooms is impossible. When they had the little house (16 people 2 bathrooms) probably limiting toilet time was necessary.

• Upvote 9

Those pictures they posted the other day made me think that they were part of a pregnancy announcement.  Anyone else?

• I Agree 3

7 hours ago, JMO said:

Those pictures they posted the other day made me think that they were part of a pregnancy announcement.  Anyone else?

I never know with the Duggars or Bates couple anymore. They seem to do professionnal (or semi-pro) photoshoots quite often, so it is hard to tell. It could very well be, or not? :confusion-shrug:

• Upvote 3

On 10/24/2020 at 2:39 PM, Melissa1977 said:

Blankets were allowed, but beds had no sheets, because too laundry work. I think Zsu did something similar. IMO made children sleep in their day clothes is a decision made out of exhaustion (too laundry again, or too tired sistermoms). Outdoors clothes and no bedsheets... It's not hygienic at all and no comfortable. A little but important detail about the impossibility to properly care for a enormous family.

Pearls were obsessed about monitoring toilet time for children and not giving them privacy, so Duggars probably share that opinion. This said, monitoring toilet time for 19 children in a house with several bathrooms is impossible. When they had the little house (16 people 2 bathrooms) probably limiting toilet time was necessary.

When my kids were little I read a tip in Good Housekeeping magazine suggesting putting kids in their days clothes after their baths at night, to save time in the morning. If the kids usually wear sweats and tees, or leggings and tunics, it’s a big help. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

When my kids were little I read a tip in Good Housekeeping magazine suggesting putting kids in their days clothes after their baths at night, to save time in the morning. If the kids usually wear sweats and tees, or leggings and tunics, it’s a big help. 

We used to this sometimes when we had a very early morning or we were traveling. But it was always soft comfortable clothes, not polo shirts and jeans. And they were always clean, not what the kids had been wearing all day. Now that my kids are older they still do it when we are doing something like leaving on a road trip at 6 am. They just shower and put on cotton shorts and a Tee or leggings or whatever and wear that in the car the next day. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I used to go that as kid sometimes. I've never been a morning person so one less thing to do in the morning while I could use the time getting dressed for extra sleep. As a teen I managed to eat breakfast and get dressed in less then ten minutes giving me an extra half hour of sleep every day. 

• Upvote 7

42 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I used to go that as kid sometimes. I've never been a morning person so one less thing to do in the morning while I could use the time getting dressed for extra sleep. As a teen I managed to eat breakfast and get dressed in less then ten minutes giving me an extra half hour of sleep every day. 

My daughter sleeps in her preschool clothes. They aren’t any different than pjs anyway. She doesn’t wear jeans or anything heavy to school. I load her into the car. She wakes up on the way and eats breakfast at school. #Winning. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

My daughter sleeps in her preschool clothes

I used to do this as well - trying to wake a cranky 15 month old, wrestle her into clothes while half asleep and then be at the child care centre door at 7am was just too hard. They had a policy where you had to change them into their cloth nappies on arrival, so I also used to leave her in her night nappy until we got there. Tracksuits in winter, interlock shorts and T-shirt in summer. And as you say she was bathed and in clean clothes when she went to bed. They also gave her breakfast.  It made life so much easier. She’s 24 now and not scarred by the experience!

Edited by Karma
Riffles
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

Am I the only one who had sweaty kids? My son woke up looking like a swamp monster most morning. He out grew this but until he was about 6 or 7 he would put off so much heat at night no matter what type of cover situation he had going, he was a sweaty mess in the morning.  DD would never go for sleeping in her clothes once she was about 6. We tried to get them to sleep in their clothes a couple times when we were going on vacation, DS was down, but little sister, NOPE, pajamas are for sleeping, clothes are for going out. If you were too look up the word stubborn there would be a picture of her next to it. ?

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

We used to this sometimes when we had a very early morning or we were traveling. But it was always soft comfortable clothes, not polo shirts and jeans. And they were always clean, not what the kids had been wearing all day. Now that my kids are older they still do it when we are doing something like leaving on a road trip at 6 am. They just shower and put on cotton shorts and a Tee or leggings or whatever and wear that in the car the next day. 

I've done this. Ditto for "we're leaving Grandma's - you'll fall asleep on the way home and then it will be past bedtime when we get home - put on pjs before we leave." 
I don't mind my son wearing day clothes at night if it's a one time thing - if he's falling asleep but fighting me taking off that shirt- that's not a hill I'll die on. And it's not an every night thing. 

But he's very particular now that he's the ripe old age of 7. (eye roll). 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

DD would never go for sleeping in her clothes once she was about 6. We tried to get them to sleep in their clothes a couple times when we were going on vacation, DS was down, but little sister, NOPE, pajamas are for sleeping, clothes are for going out. If you were too look up the word stubborn there would be a picture of her next to it. ?

Same. My daughter has no problem staying in a pajama all day but refuses to wear even a clean t-shirt to bed because it’s not a pajama.

• Upvote 6

We never use anything other than fitted sheets on our bed. I hate getting all mixed up with it. But I made the kids' bed with them when they were little. I just like feeling a comforter right against me without a sheet in between. I've got some sensory issues though.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

29 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

We never use anything other than fitted sheets on our bed. I hate getting all mixed up with it. But I made the kids' bed with them when they were little. I just like feeling a comforter right against me without a sheet in between. I've got some sensory issues though.

Growing up we always had flat sheets on our beds. Now that's it my house, my rules - I skip top sheets. Just get all tangled up in them and fight with them all night so - I don't do it often.

• Upvote 5

In the hotter months, I like to sleep with a top sheet. Often it’s all that covers me. Like @fluffernutter, I have sensory issues but one of mine is that I don’t like to feel the comforter on my skin. In the really cold months I sleep without a top sheet, but with a really soft fake fur type blanket. 
Everyone is so different and the way these families take away choices for their children is sad. Just one more way they break their spirit and mold them how they want them. 

• Upvote 7

I wouldn't be able to do that. I find my comforter hard to wash, so I like to use a top sheet and then I wash my bed sheet, top sheet and pillow cases weekly. I also love the feeling of clean bed sheets though. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, viii said:

I wouldn't be able to do that. I find my comforter hard to wash, so I like to use a top sheet and then I wash my bed sheet, top sheet and pillow cases weekly. I also love the feeling of clean bed sheets though. 

I’m living on the edge and flying close to the sun here by starting the duvet discussion. I have a duvet with a cover and no no longer use a top sheet. Sleeping without a top sheet is so much more comfortable, and I like the feeling of the the weight of the duvet/comforter on my body. I live in a place that is basically 55-75 degrees everyday of the year, so no extreme temps to deal with. Every few weeks I wash the duvet cover. My kids turned me onto the no top sheet fad...and European hotels. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, purple_summer said:

I’m not coordinated enough for a duvet cover 

Sorry, I have no idea what this means? 

4 hours ago, medimus said:

Sorry, I have no idea what this means? 

So think of a duvet as a big fluffy comforter. In order to use the duvet you have a cover that goes over the top. Think of two big sheets sewn together on three sides with a opening on the fourth just big enough to cram the whole comforter through. You need to try to cram the comforter through yet get it all flattened out and covered by the sheet like things so you can button the sheet like thing on the bottom and so it's a comfortable cover instead of all bunched up. With a duvet you don't wash the whole duvet, you just unbutton and take off the cover and wash it. It is kind of a pain to get off and on. The video says effortless. I think the person in the video is much more coordinated than I am.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

So think of a duvet as a big fluffy comforter. In order to use the duvet you have a cover that goes over the top. Think of two big sheets sewn together on three sides with a opening on the fourth just big enough to cram the whole comforter through. You need to try to cram the comforter through yet get it all flattened out and covered by the sheet like things so you can button the sheet like thing on the bottom and so it's a comfortable cover instead of all bunched up. With a duvet you don't wash the whole duvet, you just unbutton and take off the cover and wash it. It is kind of a pain to get off and on. The video says effortless. I think the person in the video is much more coordinated than I am.

??  That is like the sorcery of folding a fitted sheet properly.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 2

We are Team Duvet at my house all the way. I've never understood why anyone would want to use a regular comforter - but I'm the kind of person who wants to wash my bedding often and most people can't fit a whole comforter in their washing machine/dryer. I'm in a smaller area without a true local dry cleaner, so if you drop your stuff off expect that it won't come back for at least a week because they send it out to a bigger location. 

I've never had an issue putting my down comforter into a duvet. 

We actually have flat + fitted sheets AND a fleece blanket on our bed, topped with a duvet. At night we pull the duvet back and use the flat sheet & blanket to sleep with. 

• Upvote 1

I am also team duvet mostly because I find them fluffier and lighter than comforters and because I prefer just washing a cover (and I like that if I get bored I can just switch out the duvet cover and not have to buy all new bedding. 

That said they are a nuisance to take off and put back on. Mr. May hates them and says the easiest way to change a duvet cover is to not get a duvet. 

A couple years ago we found these little duvet clip doohickies and they have made things much easier though which is nice. 

• Upvote 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic