IGNORED

John David and Abbie 9: Yet Another Baby Watch - Grace is Here!

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

??  That is like the sorcery of folding a fitted sheet properly.

NO! NO! NO! Did you ever watch Martha Stewart’s easy steps for folding a fitted sheet? It’s like 10 steps. Um, hell no. I’ve been trying for many decades and have given up on folding a fitted sheet flat- I’d rather do duvet covers all day long.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

I have never had a duvet cover and all my comforters fit into my washing machine and dryer. If we go to a king size bed I may have to consider duvets.

19 minutes ago, LacyMay said:

A couple years ago we found these little duvet clip doohickies and they have made things much easier though which is nice. 

Tell me more. Pretty please.

• I Agree 2

I have dogs that sleep with me so everything has to be washed weekly. We choose a top sheet and a thin blanket. Nost of the time, my oldest dog steals all the blankets and puts them in a pile and lays on top of them until one of us wakes up freezing and takes them back!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

NO! NO! NO! Did you ever watch Martha Stewart’s easy steps for folding a fitted sheet? It’s like 10 steps. Um, hell no. I’ve been trying for many decades and have given up on folding a fitted sheet flat- I’d rather do duvet covers all day long.

Wait, is the correct way to fold them not to just ball them up and chuck them onto the shelf???

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Natalie22 said:

Wait, is the correct way to fold them not to just ball them up and chuck them onto the shelf???

Apparently, there is. I prefer the roll method.

• Haha 6
  • I Agree 2

6 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

So think of a duvet as a big fluffy comforter. In order to use the duvet you have a cover that goes over the top. Think of two big sheets sewn together on three sides with a opening on the fourth just big enough to cram the whole comforter through. You need to try to cram the comforter through yet get it all flattened out and covered by the sheet like things so you can button the sheet like thing on the bottom and so it's a comfortable cover instead of all bunched up. With a duvet you don't wash the whole duvet, you just unbutton and take off the cover and wash it. It is kind of a pain to get off and on. The video says effortless. I think the person in the video is much more coordinated than I am.

Thank you for the explanation. But I have always used duvets and don't understand why they are confusing ?

I agree that what the person in the video is doing is not effortless though!

The way to do duvets is to turn the cover inside out, put your arms inside it, so that your hands are in the top two corners and the rest of the duvet is all down your arms. Grab the top two corners of the duvet with your covered hands. Stand on the bed and shake the cover over the duvet. Then grab the top corners from the outside and shake and do up the buttons at the foot!

Edited to add a video. Skip all the intro 

Edited by medimus
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Natalie22 said:

Lol. I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this.

• Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I have watched tutorials on how to fold one and it makes no difference. I remember telling my mother and her saying how easy it was. I should have had her fold mine. I try my best but they still end up in a ball. 

• I Agree 1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JZK-corner-holder-comforter-fasteners/dp/B076GZYJF9

these are the most similar I could find to ours (we bought them at Bed Bath and Beyond) basically they clip at the corners and keep the duvet and cover together to prevent bunching and twisting. 

i just googled "duvet clips" to try and find a picture and apparently there are also a number of different varieties. 

• Thank You 2

My kids hate pajamas. I have no idea why. 
I just make them wear clean clothes to bed and beyond that they can wear whatever they think is comfortable.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

So think of a duvet as a big fluffy comforter. In order to use the duvet you have a cover that goes over the top. Think of two big sheets sewn together on three sides with a opening on the fourth just big enough to cram the whole comforter through. You need to try to cram the comforter through yet get it all flattened out and covered by the sheet like things so you can button the sheet like thing on the bottom and so it's a comfortable cover instead of all bunched up. With a duvet you don't wash the whole duvet, you just unbutton and take off the cover and wash it. It is kind of a pain to get off and on. The video says effortless. I think the person in the video is much more coordinated than I am.

Oh in Australia we call that a quilt and a quilt cover. I always wondered what a duvet was. I assumed it must be like what you call a comforter which to me is like a quilt (the inside of a duvet) that doesn’t have a cover and is patterned like it’s the cover. So like an open sleeping bag kind of thing. But normal material. 

• Upvote 3

On 10/29/2020 at 1:45 PM, viii said:

I wouldn't be able to do that. I find my comforter hard to wash, so I like to use a top sheet and then I wash my bed sheet, top sheet and pillow cases weekly. I also love the feeling of clean bed sheets though. 

Most Eastern Europeans, me included we use duvet covers on our comforters. That way you wash the cover and not the comforter all the time. And that way you get to change up the style of your comforter as you want. I got like 4 duvet covers. I match them to the sheets lol

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

And I will admit, I use a duvet (with cover) but have a flat sheet and blanket closest to me. I got it when I rented part of a house with really poor heat, so I got the warmest duvet IKEA sold. I get a little warm in winter in my place now, but summer is a no go for my duvet.

Ah the old duvet/doona/quilt/sheets or not thread drift.

In uncertain world times, it’s good to know there’s some things which never change ?.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 7

14 minutes ago, Karma said:

Ah the old duvet/doona/quilt/sheets or not thread drift.

In uncertain world times, it’s good to know there’s some things which never change ?.

I'll raise you to heating blankets (yes, even in Australia) giant 2l hot water bottles stay warm all night too btw :) ,

actually I didn't use electric blankets until I moved here from Europe... heated water beds are awesome too (and very allergy friendly - cheaper than a hypo-allergenic mattress)

• Upvote 3

We received an electric blanket for a wedding present but after 20 years of use I decided it had best go in the bin.  Eight years later and we haven’t replaced it, nor missed it.  And these days with hot flushes who needs extra heat!  Sydney isn’t exactly cold overnight either.

My parents had a water bed when I was a kid.  Until the night it sprang a leak...

• Upvote 4

I don’t think comforters or separate sheeting exists in the Netherlands except maybe for some immigrants that are used to it from their home country.

As far as I know everyone here uses duvets and covers.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Duvet + cover in Germany too. Some people have two different kinds of duvets for the warmer/colder months but many use the same and just adjust other options: naked vs. long pyjamas, window opened or closed, heating the room or not. You can also use covers with a warmer fabric (flannelette for example) or lighter fabric.

Some do use day quilts and some have an extra blanket if they are cold. Having the duvet visible is pretty uncommon.

Duvet covers come in all colours and patterns.

Folding the covers it pretty easy and getting your duvet in is too (if you don’t have a massive two person duvet). Either use the inside out method described earlier or you lay the short side of the duvet in front of you, grab one edge and put it in the cover following the side seen till you reach the right edge. Then take the other duvet edge with your other hand go to the same spot and follow the short side seem to the other edge. You can grab the the other edge through the fabric with one hand and hold it so you can place one hand on the outside. Hold both edges in place in the outside so you can get both hands out and just shake it till everything is in place. After a couple of times both methods work pretty fast.

I will say this thread drift makes me quite nostalgic. It was my first big controversy on FJ. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

We use a duvet + cover (actually, we use two, we each get a full sized duvet, he often thinks the cover is too warm so he'll pull his off.) and no top sheet. It's very annoying to live in the US and try to buy this stuff anywhere but online, and even then, there aren't very many places that sell only the fitted sheets and pillow cases, so I have a stack of top sheets that sit in a linen closet and most of my pillow cases don't match. Someone here once suggested I make pillow cases from the unused flat sheets but I'm sure I would find a way to mess it up, and my pillow cases would look similar to the shirt that Denise made for Theo on the Cosby show. 

• Haha 3

A few years ago I cut a bunch of long unused flat sheets into strips to stake my tomatoes with. My husband and I each have our own comforters for spring and winter as we both accuse the other of being a blanket hog.

• Haha 1

Comforters don’t really exist in Ireland. Duvet and cotton covers only. Never seen a comforter, in fact often wondered what they were. They have a lovely inviting name.

• Upvote 5

For those who have never seen a comforter... 

Imagine sleeping with just the duvet and it has no loops to tie the cover onto. 

Thats about it lol. 

• Upvote 4

They're also pretty colors and patterns. It takes out the middleman of needing a cover for those of us not organized enough to make that extra step.

• Upvote 2

I'm another American who hates top sheets. I read online about a decade ago that Europeans just slept with duvets and washed the cover, and I thought it was brilliant and started doing that.

Ironically, when I actually lived in Europe I had a comforter and a top sheet...

• Upvote 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic