IGNORED

John David and Abbie 9: Yet Another Baby Watch - Grace is Here!

Coconut Flan

The tub plus the fact that she is so far away from them while they are arranging the selfie. It pings my postpartum OCD like crazy. Baby unattended near water. I know she can’t leap out of the *plastic storage bin*!over the edge but still!!!

• I Agree 4

14 hours ago, BernRul said:

I hope it's changing. Aside from religious reasons (which are not my place to comment on) there is no reason to routinely circumcise infants. The health benefits are minimal and don't really matter when you can teach a child to have safe sex and practice hygiene. I want to teach my son to do both, anyway. 

If it really helped stop STDs to such an extent, than you'd think that Europe would have higher STD rates than America, since they don't circumcise. Yet the funny thing is, America has the higher STD rates, and poorer health than the first world European countries that don't circumcise. Plus, the foreskin has a purpose. It helps lubricate during sex and make sex more pleasurable for both partners. 

But even if there were minimal benefits, the fact of the matter is it's a cosmetic procedure that my son can't consent to. Maybe he wants to be circumcised, maybe he doesn't, but he can't make that choice as a newborn. His body his choice, period. If he wants to be circumcised, he is free to make that choice when he's old enough. 

Anyway, I just found out I'm pregnant for the first time the other week. If it's a boy, there's no way in hell he's being circumcised as a baby. 

I felt the same - that there was no compelling reason TO do it and it seemed unnecessary. My husband is intact and totally scoffs at the "but it's cleaner" argument. He's managed just fine. 
And then to cement the idea - I found a video of it on YouTube and.... nope. My boy was a preemie, he came home at 5lbs on the nose. So to strap him down to do that procedure just seemed barbaric (again- that's ME). I couldn't watch past the strapping down.

I know it's not covered here in Ontario - you need to pay cash to the doc and the hospital to do it. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

14 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think the plastic bin is to keep her in one place. She probably can’t climb out of it. Although I wonder if she could tip it over and roll out.

I was thinking more about the boat itself.

• Upvote 2

Duggar boat safety 101: please make sure your babies are placed securely in the sterilite bin before launching your row boat.

Hey dont those bins usually have a warning sticker that specifically says don't put babies in here? I'm picturing a seated infant with a ghost buster symbol over it...the sort of warning that makes you think, "what morons made that disclaimer necessary?" Well now we know!

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

Again, pro life until they’re born, then on to worrying about the next embryo.

Anyone with any knowledge of “near drowning” would think long and hard about mixing babies and boats ( or water). I’m not even sure if that baby would be safe with a life jacket, and that’s not even considering hypothermia. 

Given the choice of my child drowning vs being nearly drowned, I’d pick drowning. It’s far less cruel-

Anyone here remember the video Red Asphalt that used to be shown in Driver’s  Ed? The Duggars all need to spend 72 hours in both a pediatric ER and a PICU. They need to see the reality of what could happen-  pro life until it interferes with what they want to do.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Anyone here remember the video Red Asphalt that used to be shown in Driver’s  Ed?

I missed that day because I went to a concert. I remember returning to driver's ed later that week and hearing all about it, though.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Anyone here remember the video Red Asphalt that used to be shown in Driver’s  Ed? The Duggars all need to spend 72 hours in both a pediatric ER and a PICU. They need to see the reality of what could happen-  pro life until it interferes with what they want to do.

When I was I in elementary school, my Dad had a business teaching drivers ed classes. Some evenings when my Mom was in school, my sister and I would sit in the back of the class while he taught. Boy, did I have my fill of those films by the time I took drivers ed. My sister and I have always been cautious drivers, I guess it worked!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

My sister’s mom pierced her ears when she was a baby. I was a teenager at the time so I remember it well. My now adult sister is very resentful of that fact and does not wear them now. Myself, I was five or six and clearly remember it and still wear them. I don’t have a problem with either decision really. Now that I have a daughter myself who is nearly four months, I think I’m going to wait for her to ask just because my sister was unhappy the decision was taken from her. I know a lot of people wouldn’t care including me, but knowing someone who did care kind of gives me pause. 

I didn’t circumcise my boys for this reason either. I just didn’t feel right about modifying their bodies from the way they came out without their consent. It’s not like a haircut.   

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

OMG, people sound like they think that baby should be sewn to Abby’s side, catching a few stitches through the ribs to make it really secure. The baby is fine. It was a picture, not a five minute video.

BTW, did anyone notice Abby is actually wearing shorts? I see leg skin. Thank goodness, someone that dresses appropriately for the event.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, sansan said:

OMG, people sound like they think that baby should be sewn to Abby’s side, catching a few stitches through the ribs to make it really secure. The baby is fine. It was a picture, not a five minute video.

BTW, did anyone notice Abby is actually wearing shorts? I see leg skin. Thank goodness, someone that dresses appropriately for the event.

The graveyards the world over are testimony to children left unattended for less then five minutes, resulting in drownings, fires, broken bones, being mauled by dogs, (happened here in nz, toddler left unattended for less then five min got under the fence in the neighbor's yard where the dogs got to it. Dogs got killed for being 'aggressive', Parents were allowed to reproduce cause 'who would have thunk that this could happen'.), start a car accidentally (my brother did that at 1.5 years, he dislodged the hand brake - i was a new born in the car, my mum was out buying fags.).   She does not need to have the baby sewn into her side, she just needs to properly restrain the seat the child is in and absent that order a j-slave to earn her keep by babysitting, err job training for their future. 

little dinghys like this easily capsize if people move around and baby is then boom over board, and can easily end up face in water even while wearing a lifejacket. Fuck these two are as dumb and as irresponsible as the rest of the family. Dumb, smug, selfish and without any merit.  And i really have an issue with these two being the dumbfucks as they are older, she is a nurse and should have seen a thing or two while working and thus both should be able to decide if a thing is dumb to do or not. And posting this picture with baby in a plastic box on a tiny dinghy is dumb. 

(its gonna be one of these days where i will just have to eat lots of chocolate, what with these guys not  caring, people not wearing masks, and so on and so forth, i am fucking over this day).  Chocolate........yum

117311399_764565967631016_5142841787619376188_n.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

@Sabine, those look yummy. What are they filled with? 

Coconut malibu white chocolate ganache and raspberry jam. i ate about six imediatly after demolding, cause its rainy, and i feel needy. So the next i am making and eating is dark chocolate with a white chocolate limoncello cream. Did i mention i am feeling needy? i do. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, Sabine said:

Coconut malibu white chocolate ganache and raspberry jam. i ate about six imediatly after demolding, cause its rainy, and i feel needy. So the next i am making and eating is dark chocolate with a white chocolate limoncello cream. Did i mention i am feeling needy? i do. 

Are you close enough I could drop by and sit on your porch whining?

• Haha 11
  • I Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Are you close enough I could drop by and sit on your porch whining?

you bring wine and then yeah, we can whinge all day long, i have enough chocolate to get us through a day or several. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

I will bring you all the wine I can't drink during this pregnancy in exchange for your dreamy-sounding limoncello cream chocolates.  Since you spell it whinge, I assume you live somewhere more interesting than covid-infested USA.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Sabine said:

you bring wine and then yeah, we can whinge all day long, i have enough chocolate to get us through a day or several. 

You know there are a bunch of us kiwis here? North or South Island? Asking for a needy friend.... :whistle:

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

You know there are a bunch of us kiwis here? North or South Island? Asking for a needy friend.... :whistle:

Vegas. 

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2020 at 10:15 PM, Meggo said:

I felt the same - that there was no compelling reason TO do it and it seemed unnecessary. My husband is intact and totally scoffs at the "but it's cleaner" argument. He's managed just fine. 
And then to cement the idea - I found a video of it on YouTube and.... nope. My boy was a preemie, he came home at 5lbs on the nose. So to strap him down to do that procedure just seemed barbaric (again- that's ME). I couldn't watch past the strapping down.

I know it's not covered here in Ontario - you need to pay cash to the doc and the hospital to do it. 

I had my first son booked for circumcision - I wanted him to look like his father and the majority of the penises I had seen were circumcised (the one boyfriend I had who wasn’t had a tight foreskin that tore and bled into my mouth once, so not a positive experience). But as soon as my son was born I knew I couldn’t subject him to what was essentially cosmetic surgery in the first few weeks if his life. Appointment was cancelled, I didn’t even consider it for his brother, and from what I know from talking to other mothers/conversations online they won’t be in the minority for their generation. 13 and 15 years on we haven’t had any issues.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 7

On 8/19/2020 at 12:21 AM, sansan said:

I don’t think anyone thinks Gracie should be in her mothers hand 24/7. But putting your baby behind your back seems rather stupid if your on water. I definitely wouldn’t feel nervous and I have no problem with leaving my toddler out of sight inside and outside (playground, garden) the house. At least she is wearing a floating device and is protected from crawling/rolling away. And in the end, as parents we are often not fast enough. You see it happening but you are just too slow. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I don’t think anyone thinks Gracie should be in her mothers hand 24/7. But putting your baby behind your back seems rather stupid if your on water. I definitely wouldn’t feel nervous and I have no problem with leaving my toddler out of sight inside and outside (playground, garden) the house. At least she is wearing a floating device and is protected from crawling/rolling away. And in the end, as parents we are often not fast enough. You see it happening but you are just too slow. 

You all are acting like they stuck her in a box in a corner and went about their day. They took a selfie, for all we know that boat was still docked and they took the photo before they launched. Not to mention that box is within arms reach of Abbie. They aren't in the middle of a rough seas, they are on a calm lake, they weren't going to tip over in the second it took to take that photo.  

I'm not trying to defend these people but the standards they are held too, NO ONE could possibly meet. This is parent shaming for the sake of parent shaming because you don't like the parents, so it won't matter what or how they do something it will be wrong.  Case in point J&K being (rightfully) blasted for Addison not wearing a life vest, sun hat or probably even sun screen. JD &A have Gracie in a life vest and sun hat, so lets find something else to flip our collective shit about because they did what we just complained about so we have to move the goal post. 

• Upvote 20
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm not trying to defend these people but the standards they are held too, NO ONE could possibly meet.

If the standard is to not put your infant in a plastic storage tote on a boat then I did meet those standards, as did I'm sure the vast majority of parents here.  

• Upvote 15
  • Haha 1

For reference, what would be the safe way to take a baby on a boat? Life jacket, hat, and sunscreen are given. I’ve read here that a car seat is bad because it would sink and a box wouldn’t work because it could flip. IS there a safe way to take a baby on the water? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

For reference, what would be the safe way to take a baby on a boat? Life jacket, hat, and sunscreen are given. I’ve read here that a car seat is bad because it would sink and a box wouldn’t work because it could flip. IS there a safe way to take a baby on the water? 

Sure, on a bigger, safer vessel, like a cruise ship. But on that kind of thing that can flip in a good wind gust, I’m not sure there is a safe way. I keep coming back to how anyone would enjoy themselves on a dingy with a little baby? I get wanting to spend time together as a family, but I do not get the venue. Different strokes, I suppose.

• Upvote 8

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic