IGNORED

John David and Abbie 9: Yet Another Baby Watch - Grace is Here!

Coconut Flan

I made pumpkin soup the other day for dinner for the first time in years, and it was SO good! I bought two more pumpkins to use for soup at the farmer's market this weekend so I can make extra and freeze it.

Oh, and I'm American. I like my pumpkin both sweet and savory, though I've never had roast pumpkin as a side dish before. Sounds good though!

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 5

Anyone want to share their pumpkin soup recipe? Or point me in the right direction for a recipe?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I cook a Hokkaido pumpkin with 1 apple, 1 or 2 garlic cloves  and 1 or 2 onions. Sometimes a little bit of ginger. When everything is cooked, I put it in the mixer and blend it until it is smooth. Add salt, pepper and maybe cilantro when I am in the cilantro mood. Some sour cream in top. That's it. The apple makes the taste more delicate for me.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

29 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

Anyone want to share their pumpkin soup recipe? Or point me in the right direction for a recipe?

I roasted my sliced pumpkins (Hokkaido) tossed in oil at 425° F for 35 minutes. I sauteed garlic and an onion until soft then added the pumpkin (skin off) and covered the whole thing with vegetable broth and brought it to a boil. I pureed it with my immersion blender, then I added salt, pepper, thyme, mustard powder, paprika, and a tad of powdered ginger (weird combo but it works!) to taste and finished it off with a cup of heavy cream.

I also roasted the seeds with salt and curry powder. Yum.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

46 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I cook a Hokkaido pumpkin with 1 apple, 1 or 2 garlic cloves  and 1 or 2 onions. Sometimes a little bit of ginger. When everything is cooked, I put it in the mixer and blend it until it is smooth. Add salt, pepper and maybe cilantro when I am in the cilantro mood. Some sour cream in top. That's it. The apple makes the taste more delicate for me.  

This is very similar to the recipe I use:

https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/instant-pot-curried-coconut-pumpkin-soup

i use Thai curry paste instead of curry powder, so it tastes like the sauce from a green curry. I’m also lazy and don’t really chop stuff up since it all get cooked through quickly in th instant pot and blended at the end. Just trim offwhatever stems/seeds/peel youndo t want to eat. I use different pumpkins/squash interchangeably, and leave the skin on for most.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

Ahhhww the never ending duvet debate. Can we do shoes inside or not after? Always keen to do a rerun of my poop-rant. ? 

A Swedish duvet has three holes, a small one in each top corner and a big one at the bottom. You put your hands through the small holes and just pull the comforter up. Very easy. 

This is how the duvets at Ikea used to look until people in other countries thought they were broken and complained. ?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 19
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

Ahhhww the never ending duvet debate. Can we do shoes inside or not after? Always keen to do a rerun of my poop-rant. ? 

A Swedish duvet has three holes, a small one in each top corner and a big one at the bottom. You put your hands through the small holes and just pull the comforter up. Very easy. 

This is how the duvets at Ikea used to look until people in other countries thought they were broken and complained. ?

OMG this brought back a long lost memory of our old duvets. Now, I remember we had those, but I haven’t seen them in a while. Didn’t know people really complained. I mean the edges were obviously hemmed - so intentionally open.

My great grandmother had a duvet that had a big oval cut out on top and its seam was decorated with embroidery anglaise. I assume she did it herself for her trousseau. It was beautiful but highly impractical. I always got tangled up in it at night when it was on my bed when I slept over.

I hated it then, but today I truly admire the craftsmanship. Maybe I should ask my grandmother if she still has it, or if it got tossed out when they did some serious declutter last year. I could cut it up and use the embroidery on something else.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

OMG this brought back a long lost memory of our old duvets. Now, I remember we had those, but I haven’t seen them in a while. Didn’t know people really complained. I mean the edges were obviously hemmed - so intentionally open.

My great grandmother had a duvet that had a big oval cut out on top and its seam was decorated with embroidery anglaise. I assume she did it herself for her trousseau. It was beautiful but highly impractical. I always got tangled up in it at night when it was on my bed when I slept over.

I hated it then, but today I truly admire the craftsmanship. Maybe I should ask my grandmother if she still has it, or if it got tossed out when they did some serious declutter last year. I could cut it up and use the embroidery on something else.

If you find it, can you post it please. I can not get my head around what it would look like.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

If you find it, can you post it please. I can not get my head around what it would look like.

These are the best examples I could find on the internet. Basically you see the duvet peeking through the cover. Embroidery anglaise can be found on a lot of old covers. Duvets weren’t always white and peeked through the tiny wholes. 
The massive cut out that my great grandmother‘s cover has is always seamed with embroidery.

Spoiler

A3DC97E6-B724-4A1A-9A94-651D6D39EF51.thumb.jpeg.3e335c44cb8d4c029875b00265d4f749.jpegC3262F68-5199-44AC-AD7A-C6BD5C844EF0.jpeg.185b728a9263f93aa856700f70b38ec8.jpegCDA16181-B7AD-4EF6-AE59-2B0081A6D00A.thumb.jpeg.6ddf914685271ce1803bbf892ec8953f.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

8 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

These are the best examples I could find on the internet. Basically you see the duvet peeking through the cover. Embroidery anglaise can be found on a lot of old covers. Duvets weren’t always white and peeked through the tiny wholes. 
The massive cut out that my great grandmother‘s cover has is always seamed with embroidery.

Hide contents

A3DC97E6-B724-4A1A-9A94-651D6D39EF51.thumb.jpeg.3e335c44cb8d4c029875b00265d4f749.jpegC3262F68-5199-44AC-AD7A-C6BD5C844EF0.jpeg.185b728a9263f93aa856700f70b38ec8.jpegCDA16181-B7AD-4EF6-AE59-2B0081A6D00A.thumb.jpeg.6ddf914685271ce1803bbf892ec8953f.jpeg

the middle one was kind of what i was picturing... 

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2020 at 10:38 AM, WiseGirl said:

For a spicy pumpkin soup for 4 persons:

- half a squash or pumpkin, cut in pieces. I usually use a butternut squash, but this goes well with all types of pumpkin/squash (btw, I don't think my language differentiates between squash and pumpkin. We call it all some type of pumpkin).
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Caraway seeds (about a table spoon, or 1,5 tbs)
- half a teaspoon of chili powder, or one red chili pepper (seeds removed)
- vegetable broth (a liter or a little bit  more, depends on how thick you want your soup to be. I prefer my soup on the thinner side)
- Salt and pepper to taste (if you use chili powder instead of a chili pepper, pepper is not needed.)

Heat up a tablespoon of oil in a big cooking pan and add the caraway seeds. Cook them for about 2 minutes, then add the chopped onion. After another 2 to 3 minutes, add the pumpkin and the garlic. If you use a chili pepper add it at the same time as the pumpkin. Then add the broth. If you use chili powder instead of the chili pepper, add the powder right after you added the broth. Let it all cook for at least 20 minutes; the bigger you chunks of pumpkin, the longer you need to cook it. 
After those 20 minutes, put it in a blender, and then it's ready to serve! It is very nice to serve with a tablespoon of creme fraîche. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

On 11/5/2020 at 12:17 AM, Iamtheway said:

Ah, I wondered why Ikea was no longer doing that. They always seemed very practical to me...

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

On 11/4/2020 at 6:17 PM, Iamtheway said:

We can do peanut next.

• Haha 8

Lots of duvet covers in Germany, predating Ikea even, seem to have two holes at the top. I really love the old eiderdowns and some of the older bed linen we have inherited from S's grandmother and his mother's hand me downs: they have loops on the top and bottom interior corners, and buttons on corners of the eiderdowns. Makes it so easy to shake out the duvet, and stop it migrating inside the cover. Not sure what I do in my sleep, but the "rat-friendly" (i.e. cheap, ok to be chewed stuff) I sleep in gets totally twisted every night!

Also, though, it seems to be quite popular here to have 2 separate duvets (and often mattresses) put into one bed frame. Much easier to change duvet covers and sheets. Also, so much easier to sleep when you both have a mattress you like and duvet weight, rather than uncomfortable compromise.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The main Duggar acct still hadn’t posted anything about Jana and JD. Maybe Jana didn’t feel like creating her own bday post?

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 16
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Congrats to JD and Abbie being so low key they kept the same FJ thread for over a year.

• Upvote 16
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 1

I know something that may make this thread hot.... 

Did anyone know that JD is a pilot.... ????!!!!!

• WTF 2
  • Haha 25

22 minutes ago, AprilCameron said:

Did JD & Abbie have their 2nd already?

Nope but they posted pictures of Grace's birthday (I saw them on Tumblr). Cute kid, shame about the cult. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Congrats to JD and Abbie being so low key they kept the same FJ thread for over a year.

This is some achievement! I wish some of JD's siblings would aspire to be a bit more like him in this respect.

• Upvote 13

I think John-David was always the quiet one. Never really seemed comfortable in front of the cameras. Glad to see he still seems to be on the quiet side. 

• Upvote 7

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic