IGNORED

Jinjer 38: Bun in the Oven

Jellybean

I saw Justin Trudeau speak once (long before he became prime minister) but I have barely any memory of it. My sister also saw him speak and got a picture with him (again, way before he became PM).

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I met Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman after their Behind the Myths tour, they had a Q&A and a photo opportunity after the show for people who paid for it. Nice guys, very down to earth. Asked me how I was doing, thanked me for coming to their show. I don't think I'd ever approach a celebrity in the wild, though, I'd just want to let them get on with their day like a normal person.

20 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

I used to live in NYC and I'm sure at some point I've recounted the celebrities I've seen or run into but probably forgot to share my favorite run-in. I'm a fan of figure skating.  I was volunteering reading with a first grader during lunch and one day as I was walking up to the school I saw a group taking pictures on the steps. I hung out till the photographer was finished and then proceeded up the steps. Lo and behold it was the cast of Stars on Ice. When I caught Kurt Browning's eye I couldn't help myself and sheepishly grinned blurting 'I love your skating'. In return he sheepishly grinned and said 'thanks!' while playfully punching me in the arm. What a great guy! OTOH Scott Hamilton scowled at me. No longer as big of a fan of his.

Kurt Browning's son used to dance ballet with my son and I was once trying to get son's attention from the doorway of the boy's changeroom and he noticed me and asked if I needed help.  

At the time my son was going through a stage where he wanted to make sure everyone knew how his name was spelled. 

So Kurt came out and just stood there smiling. A little confused I asked "is he still in there?". He said " depends on how you spell his name"

Sweet guy. I never had the guts to mention that i recognized him and everyone left him alone. 

I shared a lap lane at a swimming pool once with Keisha Knight Pulliam (Rudy from The Cosby Show). I was ten. I played it surprisingly cool. 

I shared a airport transfer bus with Cuba Gooding, Jr. He was really nice when people asked for a picture (which is how I noticed he was on our bus), but he is so small in person!

I live outside D.C. so spotting political figures is more likely, but I don't have any really good sightings. Someone pretty famous from the Bush administration goes to my church (different service than me though). I am about 99% positive I saw Ajit Pai in a grocery store with his kids. I did a triple glance to try and determine if it were him and his face was like "Shit, please don't recognize me," which pretty much confirmed it. 

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I saw Justin Trudeau speak once (long before he became prime minister) but I have barely any memory of it. My sister also saw him speak and got a picture with him (again, way before he became PM).

I saw him speak too! In 2006, when I was just starting university and it was required for some course, Poly Sci probably. I didn't get my picture with him, which I deeply regret. 

My friends and I went stalking after the 2010 Junos that were in St. John's. We met George Canyon (country singer), he was super duper sweet, the Barenaked Ladies (very nice guys and super funny), a couple of others that I can't remember, Hedley or Simple Plan, I think. The kicker, however, was Justin Bieber. He came out and was super rude to a bunch of teenaged girls that were waiting for him, passed by us on the stairs and he was itty bitty. I'm 5'3 and a half or so and he was about my height. Most of him was hair. :P 

They were all trying to get to the airport quickly because that was the time that the volcano erupted/was spitting ash and smoke in Iceland, so they would have been grounded for a bit if they had stuck around. 

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Didn't happen to me, but to a friend of mine. She and her mother were in Germany, touring a castle. Lo and behold,  there on the top of the castle with her and her mother, was John Denver! This girl was a HUGE John Denver fan, and her mother was poking her, saying, "go get his autograph!  Say hello! Get a picture!"

JD saw the commotion, but all my friend could do was to "buh... buh... buh" kind of speech. JD was very nice, posed for a picture, gave her his autograph. My poor friend did not recover her powers of speech until after the encounter was over..

That reminds me of my cousin. She worked for American Airlines and heard Andre Agassi (back in his long hair days) was going to board a flight. She managed to be a ticket checker/taker.... she wanted to say hi, but lost her ability to speak and just did about the same as your friend. 

I got star struck once. I was standing in the pits of the Indy 500 ( long story, not a race car fan) it was hot and loud so I was pretty distracted. After a few minutes I realized I was standing next to Paul Newman. This was in the 80’s and I had such a crush on him. I tried so hard to act cool and not bother him. We exchanged hellos and made eye contact with those beautiful blue eyes.

He was very handsome, however I was surprised at how small he was. 

Gross, Hedley. I've thoroughly enjoyed their downfall. 

I had lunch with Sum 41 once, that was fun. I loved Steve Jocz so I was in my glory. 

i've got an interesting celebrity encounter story.. 

While I was living overseas, the backstreet boys were coming to the area. My husband bought me tickets but really didn't want to go so i found a friend to come with me. We went to the concert and bought the "after party" tickets and got pictures with Kevin and Howie. I wanted one with nick but other chicks were taking him over. So we posted these pics on Facebook and my friend's dads best friend messaged her and was like "You're here?? Well we've got another show on Thursday come see me!" 

He gave us a tour of the set and hooked us up with meet and greet passes and close up seats to the concert that night. While we were being given the tour, Brian was walking around and he came over and chatted with us for a few minutes. 

So during the meet and greet, I walk up all awkward turtle to meet them for the picture and shake Nick, Howie and Aj's hand and then Kevin reaches in for a hug. I get a hug from brian too. I make a comment to kevin about how he must remember me and he gave me this look like "...no..." but then Nick pipes in and was like "Yeah! y'all were at the after party on Monday night!" He probably only remembered us because we were the only white chicks there.

My aunt and uncle live like 15 minutes from where Liam Neeson is from in NI. I saw him in a shop once where he was buying milk. No one batted an eyelid, he was just ‘that fella down the road that’s been in some films’. He was super pleasant to everyone 

I was 9 when landing at Glasgow Airport our flight was delayed and as we walked out the lounge the Celtic team walked out the next lounge. The only thing I had for them to sign was the back of a wooden chess board, Captain Paul McStay asked me why am I signing a piece of wood. Sadly two of the people who signed it have passed away, Phil O'Donnell collapsed and died while playing for Motherwell in 2007 and then Manager, Tommy Burns died of skin cancer a few months later in 2008. 

I met a few of the players again in 2014 working at Celtic Park along with a few other former players and actors, it was a charity game which Louis from 1 Direction took part in, they had to sneak him out in an Ambulance. 

Back in the mid-90s I saw George Stephanopolos at the gym. He used his T-shirt to wipe his face and I saw his bare hairy chest.  

8 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

when landing at Glasgow Airport

Drift:  I love the Glasgow Airport! It's lovely!

11 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Drift:  I love the Glasgow Airport! It's lovely!

It is lovely, unless you are a would be terrorist on fire.

I haven't really met any celebrities. I did get a birthday card off Stephen Fry though, he and Dad were on a TV show/mockumentary-type thing several years ago. (Dad is not that famous, he just happens to look like the person he was playing and he writes a lot of comedy radio stuff). I still have the card somewhere.

5 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I shared a airport transfer bus with Cuba Gooding, Jr. He was really nice when people asked for a picture (which is how I noticed he was on our bus), but he is so small in person!

I once trod on Bryan Adams's foot... and I mean really hard.... He was sweet about it but I was in shock. Partly because it was the Groover from Vancouver himself but mainly because he was SO small. Tiny and wafer thin. I could have snapped him in two like a twig.

I have a few astronauts and flight controllers as FB friends. I got teased BIG TIME by one of the flight controllers when I mentioned I was watching Apollo 13 again. He was like "well, you DO know how it ends, right? with a smiley face. He's written quite a few books on spaceflight and NASA on top of it. He's a helluva nice guy. I'm friends with one of the guys who wrote "Bringing Columbia Home" about the recovery efforts after the accident. 

Mike Massimino is without a doubt the COOLEST astronaut I know...he's hysterically funny, self-effacing, decidedly nerdy. He claims he was selected for a couple of Hubble repair missions because they needed "a gorilla" to deal with some of the repairs. Mass is one big dude...

Your all so lucky! I've never met a single celebrity. I always looked in Vegas hoping to see one. I tried looking in Colorado Springs for Olympic athletes. When we were in LA on vacation. Nope, never ran into one. 

17 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I'm friends with one of the guys who wrote "Bringing Columbia Home" about the recovery efforts after the accident. 

We moved into our house the day the Columbia exploded. :(

Celebrity sightings.. I saw Goldie Hawk and Kurt Russel in a Huntsville restaurant. I smiled and they smiled back. Didn’t interrupt them, though. I saw Matthew Perry, Jerry Dee, Lana Parrilla, Chris Hatfield, George Clooney and Reese Witherspoon during TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival.

I met the cast of Murdoch Mysteries a couple times. Very friendly. 

17 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

We moved into our house the day the Columbia exploded. :(

Columbia didn't explode. The hole knocked in the RCC panel, either 8 or 9 caused hot plasma to stream into the wing collapsing the aluminum framework. As Columbia came through re-entry, the left wing lost lift due to the damage and aerodynamic forces and control of the ship was lost. She came apart due to those same aerodynamic forces acting upon the airframe at an approximate airspeed of Mach 15 or so (15 times the speed of sound) at an altitude of roughly 200,000 feet above ground level.

Challenger essentially exploded, however, that's also not quite right. Challenger came apart again due to outside forces from the external tank exploding after it was breached by the flame plume from the right hand SRB. This led to a hydrogen explosion. The SRB then knocked into the top of the external tank and ruptured the LOX tank.  The orbiter came apart due to the forces upon the airframe due to the explosion of the external tank. 

***I've read both accident reports and was part of an ad hoc group who played around with ideas on how to reinforce the RCC panels on the wing leading edges to prevent another disaster like Columbia. 

*I'm a massive spaceflight nerd. 

@SapphireSlytherin thank you for being so gracious...I re-read what I wrote and I was thinking "geez bitch...what a goddamn know it all". 

Yeah, I'm a serious space nerd...as in got issues space nerd

LOL - I didn't take it as bitchy/know-it-all-ish. I'm always happy to learn something. :)

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

I have a few astronauts and flight controllers as FB friends. I got teased BIG TIME by one of the flight controllers when I mentioned I was watching Apollo 13 again. He was like "well, you DO know how it ends, right? with a smiley face. He's written quite a few books on spaceflight and NASA on top of it. He's a helluva nice guy. I'm friends with one of the guys who wrote "Bringing Columbia Home" about the recovery efforts after the accident. 

Mike Massimino is without a doubt the COOLEST astronaut I know...he's hysterically funny, self-effacing, decidedly nerdy. He claims he was selected for a couple of Hubble repair missions because they needed "a gorilla" to deal with some of the repairs. Mass is one big dude...

Was Mike Massimino the astronaut that appeared on Big Bang Theory? 

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived