IGNORED

Jinjer 38: Bun in the Oven

Jellybean

16 minutes ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Isn't a book of dating advice a bit odd to be reading with your spouse?

I don't think they're reading it as a married couple so much as they are reading it as a pastor and his wife, who probably also expects to be counselling young women on the matter.

I have to say, this book rubs me the wrong way from the outset just because it seems like another case of men explaining women how to be better women. That said, compared to some of the other crap the Duggars have promoted over the years, this one doesn't seem so bad.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked up the book on Amazon. I was disappointed but not surprised that it was religious (seriously, I'm dying to know if the supposed book lover Jeremy reads secular fiction/nonfiction) but it dosen't seem quite as fundie as what the Duggars usually promote. I didn't read much so I might be way wrong, but I did like the message that marriage isn't everything and that woman shouldn't settle. At the very least, that's a step up from the crap Jinger was raised with.  

2 minutes ago, BernRul said:

I looked up the book on Amazon. I was disappointed but not surprised that it was religious (seriously, I'm dying to know if the supposed book lover Jeremy reads secular fiction/nonfiction) but it dosen't seem quite as fundie as what the Duggars usually promote. I didn't read much so I might be way wrong, but I did like the message that marriage isn't everything and that woman shouldn't settle. At the very least, that's a step up from the crap Jinger was raised with.  

Hey, if you're looking to get religiously married, makes sense to seek out religious advice (although I second @JillyO on disliking another man telling women what's wrong with them). I googled too, the author is a Baptist pastor in DC so likely pretty in line with them belief wise. He did write a book on recognizing and preventing child abuse in the church (haven't read it so who knows exactly what it says but my assumption from reviews is it's better than blame the victims and cover it up so cheers to that), hope they get that one too. Maybe pass it to Jim Bob and Michelle to read. Least they could do after they failed Jinger and her sisters so horribly.

I would be interested in seeing what if any secular books Jeremy/Jinger enjoys. Even if they want to stick to Christian authors, plenty of believers have written secular books.

25 minutes ago, BernRul said:

Maybe this means their daughter won't be force-fed the "you're only an adult when you marry" that the Duggars are

3 hours ago, Irene said:

I liked JIngers last pic, she was wearing not so much makeup.

Good for her that she has confidence do to that 

Though makeup can make one feel better, wearing it doesn't mean someone has low confidence. And vice versa. Some people just like wearing makeup. It's a form of artistry and it's fun. :)  

2 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Though makeup can make one feel better, wearing it doesn't mean someone has low confidence. And vice versa. Some people just like wearing makeup. It's a form of artistry and it's fun. :)  

Why are you taking a complimant to Jinger and turning it around?

When you think of her upbringing, I think is positive to see her not focisning so much on her looks, and being perfect, is nice to see that she is human to.

Sometimes a complimang is just that, a complimang.

@Irene It can be a compliment but some women just enjoy makeup. They use it as a way to express themselves. If Jinger wants to wear as much makeup as possible and she's confident, that's amazing. If she wants to wear none and she's confident, good. It's all about comfort of the woman! If someone said to me that I was more beautiful in either form, my response would be, it's a good thing that my opinion matters and yours does not. 

13 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

@Irene It can be a compliment but some women just enjoy makeup. They use it as a way to express themselves. If Jinger wants to wear as much makeup as possible and she's confident, that's amazing. If she wants to wear none and she's confident, good. It's all about comfort of the woman! If someone said to me that I was more beautiful in either form, my response would be, it's a good thing that my opinion matters and yours does not. 

Jesus, you guys read too much into stuff.

I am done with this condescending and patronizing comments.

:)

And I am not the one who startet this, I wrote an innocent comment and are not the one who needs to move on...

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

Maybe this means their daughter won't be force-fed the "you're only an adult when you marry" that the Duggars are

Hopefully. That's why I am not as disappointed that Jinger is having a girl as I would have been if it were Jill or Joy. They still teach horrific things, but they at least seem less extreme, like Jeremy supporting a pastor who believes it's ok to control family size. Hopefully that means that Baby Vuolo will at least have a childhood instead of being a sister mom. 

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

@Destiny. Would it have been ok to drool a little? On my bucket list is travelling on the TARDIS with David Tennant.

Tempting, but Georgia was there. FWIW, my observation led me to believe great husband and father. 

He's tied for my favourite Doctor as well. 

52 minutes ago, Irene said:

Jesus, you guys read too much into stuff.

I am done with this condescending and patronizing comments.

:)

And I am not the one who startet this, I wrote an innocent comment and are not the one who needs to move on...

No one was being condescending or patronizing, two posters just opined that they didn't agree with you. No attacks there. I get that it can be frusterating when others disagree with you, but anytime you post here (or anywhere) you're opening yourself up to that. Which is really good, and what keeps stuff here interesting! Any opinions of yours which you're uncomfortable having others respond to at all are probably best to not share on the internet. You likely already know that, but you just got pissy with someone on the internet who feels differently about makeup than you, so I thought it might be time for a reminder. We all need them occasionally!

9 minutes ago, pandora said:

anytime you post here (or anywhere) you're opening yourself up to that. Which is really good, and what keeps stuff here interesting! Any opinions of yours which you're uncomfortable having others respond to at all are probably best to not share on the internet.

Just read MY posts. lol

If you truly believe something, and post it, you have to be able to weather the fallout. Especially on FJ. :)

And there is often a fallout :D but that’s okay, the next day the shitstorm rolls over someone else‘s pasture! - :) 

Regarding Jinger: honestly, not every Christian book is bad. I (as a current agnostic or so?) have read a fair amount of Christian literature, and there really is a spectrum. Things I really hated: all the Joyce Meyer books. She reminds me of Lori Alexander in all the worst ways. So judgmental toward everyone and everything. Good books: a bunch of relationship counseling and financial counseling books I read. Really solid techniques & advice in some of them! No idea what Jinger‘s book is, but from what you guys said, let’s hope it’s the latter! :)  

17 hours ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

My eye rolling is less about the book and more about the fact that Jinger is recommending it.  As someone said up thread, she has literally no dating experience.    She married the first guy she was allowed to interact with.  It’s more of the implied hypocrisy of the situation.

Same. Except I am not sure that Jeremy is her first interaction on a romantic-ish level. Rumor has it she was paired with a Bates boy to "get to know". I believe it.

Jana and Jessa (I think) mentioned that the girls were often sought after by guys they never courted. They would refer these guys over to Jim Bob and let him make the decision. I have a feeling there have been *at least* one or two guys interested in each older Duggar girl that did not get the pass.

But I know what you mean. For me it's that she has been married under two years and dated him even less than that. She has no idea what time, children nor circumstance will do to her marriage. Therefore she has no idea if she truly has the right guy - yet.

I don't get why she is broadcasting this book. But I do agree as a pastor's wife she will be called upon to perform certain first lady duties that may be beyond her current level of experience. I am sure she will grow into them.

On 4/29/2018 at 1:42 AM, Destiny said:

I knew he knew I knew who he was, because I was literally wearing a shirt with the Tardis on it when we locked eyes LOL. 

Where did you get that skirt, ma'am? TIA.

On 4/29/2018 at 3:39 AM, Icea said:

Even though I’m sure parts of that book are really snark-worthy, it could probably serve as an eye-opener to a lot of women in the quiverfull movement.

It is probably a great improvement on Waiting for Prince Charming (Sarah Mally), I Kissed Dating Goodbye (Josh Harris), and Preparing to be A Help Meet (Debi Pearl) as far as I can see on line.   And we know the Duggarettes read all of those.

22 hours ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Isn't a book of dating advice a bit odd to be reading with your spouse?

She can't use it unless he approves it.

I completely misunderstood the title at first, I thought it meant that "Why smart women settle" meant that it was smart for women to settle. Which is bullshit. But I'm glad you guys have cleared that up for me. That book is probably super problematic, but less horrific than the other Duggar gir's reading materials. I do wonder, as an academic who supposedly loves books, what has Jeremy read that isn't Christian theology? I mean, I know you can be a book lover while only liking specific genres, but his focus seems rather... limited. Especially because he makes a big deal out of it on the show. I wonder if he studies atheist or Catholic philosophy books so he can accurately criticize them in his sermons... that would require critical thinking... hmm.

As for the makeup, I actually started wearing makeup after I got more confidence... no makeup made me fade away into the background, and no one noticed me, which was good at the time. I didn't want to draw attention to myself. Now I love experimenting with bold lip colors and I don't care about the opinions of others, I think I look fabulous! So it's different for everyone.

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Where did you get that skirt, ma'am? TIA.

It was a shirt, and I got it for a birthday present from the youngest. He bought it on Amazon. You can find skirts on Amazon too.

I attend a local Science Fiction/ Fantasy convention every year, as I love the science panels. One of the hotel desk workers, two hotels ago wore a TARDIS sweater, hockey sweater style. It was awesome!

I do not need tardis themed stuff, I do not need tardis themed stuff, I do not need tardis themed stuff! 

How many times must I say it before I convince myself? :my_biggrin:

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived