IGNORED

Jinjer 38: Bun in the Oven

Jellybean

2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I don't recall seeing it on here, but how is everyone with a female Doctor? 

For me it’s more about how Chris Chibnall manages things. The show runner can make or break it. 

i’m more worried about the addition of the massive entourage than the gender of the Doctor. Too many changes all at once might not be a good thing. And they’ve covered a lot of demographics - a female, an Asian, an older man etc. Don’t they trust a solo (female) doctor? Are they trying to please everyone by providing a range of characters to relate to?

If they introduce them one at a time - ie show how she goes around finding them all, then it could work. A couple of episodes where Jodie is finding her feet would be good. Otherwise we will be trying to learn about too many new people at once plus  whatever story line is going on. 

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the celebrities thread drift - I remember getting off a long haul trip (Sydney to London, so ~22 hours or so) and seeing one of the actors from the Hobbit at the baggage claim. He'd of course had come from New Zealand so had had an even longer trip. There were people coming up to him asking for autographs and photos, which he was very gracious about, but I do remember thinking that it seemed a bit much. I mean, I know he's been at the pointy end of the plane and probably feels a bit more refreshed than those of us in cattle class, but he's still just been in transit for maybe ~24-26 hours and probably isn't really in the mood for it. (Or maybe that's just me projecting how I would feel!) 

Back to Jinger, I really hope she's been getting prenatal care with someone other than a lay midwife. Surely she would, given Duggar daughters are 3 for 3 in emergency hospital trips for their first baby ... but somehow I'm not optimistic. 

6 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I don't recall seeing it on here, but how is everyone with a female Doctor? 

I'm not sure I'll be able to talk myself in to watching it.... mostly because I'm annoyed that we already did this with The Master (admittedly, fairly brilliantly.)

I grew up during the Baker years, so he was my first doctor, though I've watched everything that is available on DVD/video over the years so I've seen all of the doctors in action. Tennant edges out Baker slightly as my favorite so far.

I didn't care for Capaldi as the doctor, not really due to Capaldi so much as I didn't like the direction Moffat took the series in. (Erasing the time war.... sigh.) Moffat wrote some terrific episodes while he was working under Davies, but I felt like he needed someone over him telling him "no" once in a while.

9 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I had thoughts of hosting a "reception" at my house until I remembered it started at 6:00 am I'll be watching in my not so royal jammies on my royally comfortable couch. 

I'll admit, I probably won't watch, but am such a geek that, if I were really interested, I'd invite my friends over for a sleepover, then get up and watch it!

I don't own a television, but am known to spend the night before the Indianapolis 500 over at my best friend's house so I can watch it. In return, I cook breakfast.

Lol, I just came in to have a cup of tea (and to check fj) and found my slippers and blankie on the couch from this morning:

CD2DAA34-EDD4-4DFD-8C2A-2D8F2FFB7170.thumb.jpeg.01d7dd243882586f6b8d0d460d59b49b.jpeg

My husband isn’t a fan of the new doctor because he read somewhere that Idris Elba was in the running (I don’t know if that’s true, or if it was just a fan rumour) and he wanted him to be The Doctor real bad (he’s got a bit of a crush lol)

Im reserving judgement until I’m able to sit down and watch a few episodes. Chris Eccleston was my first Doctor. I hated David Tennant when he first showed up, and then when Matt Smith arrived I disliked him initially too. 

Did someone say Jinger was pregnant?  How about that!

My dears, we have a dedicated and sadly very neglected Dr Who thread right here:

I haven't watched the new Dr yet.  I don't have any problems with the concept of a female Dr though.  And I remember Romanas 1 and 2 well.

Poor Capaldi was screwed by the bad writing (love him), I loved Eccleston, I remember Jon Pertwee well, but for sheer lunacy my favorite was the 4th Dr.

5 hours ago, Nargus said:

My husband isn’t a fan of the new doctor because he read somewhere that Idris Elba was in the running (I don’t know if that’s true, or if it was just a fan rumour) and he wanted him to be The Doctor real bad (he’s got a bit of a crush lol)

Me too!!!!! 

16 hours ago, Blahblah said:

For me it’s more about how Chris Chibnall manages things. The show runner can make or break it. 

i’m more worried about the addition of the massive entourage than the gender of the Doctor. Too many changes all at once might not be a good thing. And they’ve covered a lot of demographics - a female, an Asian, an older man etc. Don’t they trust a solo (female) doctor? Are they trying to please everyone by providing a range of characters to relate to?

If they introduce them one at a time - ie show how she goes around finding them all, then it could work. A couple of episodes where Jodie is finding her feet would be good. Otherwise we will be trying to learn about too many new people at once plus  whatever story line is going on. 

We had an entourage with the 5th Doctor and I didn't have a problem with it back then, but we didn't have something so drastic as a woman Doctor. 

Even though its not PC to say, I didn't want a female Doctor. The Doctor is male.  I love the actress, she was brilliant in Broadchurch, but I'm just not sure how this will work. I think one problem for me is I've always had a bit of a Doctor "crush" on a number of his regenerations! 

The 9th Doctor was my first, but my favorite is 10. I stopped watching after 11's first couple of seasons because I couldn't stand Moffet's writing. His characters just fell flat for me. Because of that, I've only seen a few Capaldi episodes. I did love the episode where he played that Pompeii citizen though!

I personally would have preferred a male Doctor, but I wish the actress luck with the role. 

I started watching (started with the 9th doctor) and I had to stop once the 10th doctor got going. I loved the 9th doctor so much that it felt odd to see anyone else attempt it. I should probably try again, but Doctor Who is very low on my list of priorities. 

49 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

The 9th Doctor was my first, but my favorite is 10. I stopped watching after 11's first couple of seasons because I couldn't stand Moffet's writing. His characters just fell flat for me. Because of that, I've only seen a few Capaldi episodes. I did love the episode where he played that Pompeii citizen though!

I personally would have preferred a male Doctor, but I wish the actress luck with the role. 

Capaldi was a fantastic Doctor but the writing was poor. I also think they hung onto Clara much too long, I was never a fan of hers. His last season with Bill wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it much more than his others.  I loved Bill.

The one thing I really did like about his Doctor was none of that kissing every single companion bit. I kind of just wanted my old Doctor back. I made exception for River. The Christmas special with her was brilliant! 

21 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Capaldi was a fantastic Doctor but the writing was poor. I also think they hung onto Clara much too long, I was never a fan of hers. His last season with Bill wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it much more than his others.  I loved Bill.

I agree with all of this. I love Capaldi as an actor but I was so sick of Moffat's bloated 2-part episodes and I thought the sonic sunglasses were dumb. I'm looking forward to the new Doctor!

I loved classic Who, but I wasn't very keen on any of the Drs after 5. There is a reason why it went off the air.

But new Who and Eccleston as brooding 9!  Yes! 

That said:

• I blame David Tennant for making the Dr so sexy.  He's a moody alien, FFS. 
  • I blame whoever wrote 10's last episode (where Tennant moped around doing a reprise of his rather sulky Hamlet) for making me throw popcorn at the TV yelling, "FFS, regenerate already!"
  • I am oddly fond of Matt Smith.  He grew on me.
  • Peter Capaldi, as noted above, is far better than the material he was given.

But it got wrecked for me and I lost interest again because of Moffet's writing.  I need to try again.

3 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I loved classic Who, but I wasn't very keen on any of the Drs after 5. There is a reason why it went off the air.

But new Who and Eccleston as brooding 9!  Yes! 

That said:

• I blame David Tennant for making the Dr so sexy.  He's a moody alien, FFS. 
  • I blame whoever wrote 10's last episode (where Tennant moped around doing a reprise of his rather sulky Hamlet) for making me throw popcorn at the TV yelling, "FFS, regenerate already!"
  • I am oddly fond of Matt Smith.  He grew on me.
  • Peter Capaldi, as noted above, is far better than the material he was given.

But it got wrecked for me and I lost interest again because of Moffet's writing.  I need to try again.

I agree, after 5, the show went down hill. Oddly, Colin Baker's audios are some of my favorites. And don't get me started on 8. I tried, as a true fan, to watch his episodes, but they were awful. Ever see Ghostlight? What the heck was that even about???? 

I was very apprehensive about Matt Smith but he grew on me too. He was able, while looking young, convey that he was old. He also had a lot of Troughton Doctor in him. 

Moffat was a brilliant writer but needed someone to oversee him. He should not have been the show runner. Blink, The EmptyChild/The Doctor Dances we’re brilliant. But he wasted Capaldi’s enormous talent, and he kept Clara for far too long.

Unpopular opinion here - I really, really grew to dislike Rose. And don’t get me started on the whole Doctor/Rose romance. Cringeworthy rubbish. Ancient alien falls for annoying baby human? Nope.best thing about that whole era was Mickey, and they didn’t use him to full effect either (tin dog anyone?).

The Doctor and River, now that was a proper Time Lord romance. Matt Smith and Alex Kingston together was just delicious.

I love  David Tennant. I could never get into Peter Capaldi though. Here’s to hoping I love the new one. I’m excited for her. I was so excited for Clara too, and it ended up making me dislike it for a while lol

I'm thrilled about the female Doctor. I already have a crush on her.  As soon as I understood the nature of the Doctor I asked if there could be a female one, and I was upset that this seemed not to have been considered.  I don't like the entourage though. Why can't the female Doctor have a hot young love interest too? 

In Berlin there's a Science Fiction Film Museum and they have a Dalek.  And also an evil, evil security guard whose sole purpose is to keep you from taking pictures with the Dalek.  What is the point of having a Dalek if you can't take a picture with it?  Fiancé and I were sad.  

On 4/26/2018 at 9:51 AM, Queen said:

And the "married to my best friend" that every. single. Duggar. and. in-law says, is it just me or does it sound so platonic? Like, your significant other might very well be your closest friend and your romantic partner at the same time, but I don't see people sprouting this all the time outside of fundie contexts. For me, my best friend and my girlfriend are two different people, the best friend title is reserved for the person not related to me with whom I have the closest, non-romantic bond. 

How many close friends do any of them have? Aside from family, seriously? 

My best friends have seen me at my worst, and still stuck by. 

My husband is one of my best friends, but that took, literally, years to flourish.

I grew up on Classic Who (up to 5 as everyone else has said) and we had all the episodes we could get on VCR and then DVD. My favourite was the Aztecs and the Green Death (1 and 3 respectively). I was ~8/9 when the new Who started and watched the first few series with my parents every week without fail. 

Dad stopped completely after 1 series of Smith, Mum managed 2 and I think I managed 3, I made it up to Clara but had already been lost by the River Song plot which I despised (sorry everyone). I never made it as far as Capaldi. 

I don’t like how complicated it has become. I think part of it was making it work for the American audience because that makes more money, I think part of it was trying to be clever and modern, but I’m not a fan. I want one good story per episode, not some ridiculous (and bad) character study over an entire series.

I could put up with Bad Wolf but once Moffat took over he lost me. Not my type at all, I’d watch Mad Men or something if that’s what I wanted, not Doctor Who. (I also hated Sherlock when he did the same thing and turned it into a character study instead of having good episodes). I don’t want any relationships, I don’t want stupid overarching plots, I just want an hour of catching bad guys.

This opinion is relatively safe among my friends here in the U.K. but not at all on the Internet it seems. They can all fight me.

(sorry for the long thread drift. I don’t know anyone my age in the UK who still talks about Who because none of us watch it. The vent had been building)

Just popping by to add to the celeb spotting and Who thread drift. As a child, I was once in a play with one of the Doctors. Which one, you ask? Sylvester McCoy. Who's that, you ask? Good question. He was the shittest, least liked Doctor and ruined the whole franchise for a good ten years.

10 minutes ago, ElToro said:

Just popping by to add to the celeb spotting and Who thread drift. As a child, I was once in a play with one of the Doctors. Which one, you ask? Sylvester McCoy. Who's that, you ask? Good question. He was the shittest, least liked Doctor and ruined the whole franchise for a good ten years.

But Ace was tops, so it wasn't all bad. 

11 minutes ago, ElToro said:

Colin Baker had things well on the decline. Sylvester just shoved it over the edge.

Not really a celeb spotting, but yesterday I served someone who sang backup for Ray Stevens in the 70s. My day was made lol.

I got waved at by Amar’e Stoudemire during a Knicks game a few years back. He was my favorite player and I freaked out. He saw and started cracking up. It’s still one of the highlights of my life. :pb_lol:

Other than that I don’t remember too many instances of meeting or interacting with famous people. I’ve met a few politicians from my state, but I think that’s probably it.

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived