IGNORED

Jinger 32: Light into the Darkness According to Jeremy

Coconut Flan

5 minutes ago, jacduggar said:

The words of wisdom must be followed to the T for a temple recommend. Which means if you want to be married in the eyes of the church, or receive your “endowment” (basically what your name will be in heaven. Don’t worry, it’s not unique, the church uses the same 10 or so names for everyone) you can’t drink coffee or eat on fast days. 

Isn't there something about not eating meat in the WW?  It always seems to me that some parts were largely ignored (like most religions). 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was actually on an ex-mormon reddit thread last night out of curiosity, and it seems that a lot of people left the church last November I believe when there was a ruling stating that children of same-sex parents couldn't be baptized unless they were 18 and personally rejected and called out homosexuality. Which is definitely all kinds of fucked-up for those families. 

I use the LDS FamilySearch free genealogical tool, but learning more about Mormonism and the elitism and racism/homophobia/patriarchal views definitely makes me feel icky about that now. 

Just now, justoneoftwo said:

Isn't there something about not eating meat in the WW?  It always seems to me that some parts were largely ignored (like most religions). 

“Sparsely eating meat”. Very open to interpretation. My in laws are higher up in their ward* and they’re pretty big on not eating much meat, they usually have a Sunday dinner roast and the occasional turkey sandwich for lunch. My former stake here in Michigan was pretty big on the current food pyramid recommendation of 3 times a week being fine. 

*mormon church designates “callings” to its members, basically mandated volunteer positions you’re required to do to maintain being active. Right up there with the required 10% tithe. 

3 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

I was actually on an ex-mormon reddit thread last night out of curiosity, and it seems that a lot of people left the church last November I believe when there was a ruling stating that children of same-sex parents couldn't be baptized unless they were 18 and personally rejected and called out homosexuality. Which is definitely all kinds of fucked-up for those families.

Yeah, that really didn't go over well, since even Mormons who completely agree with the church on homosexuality might have kids with a gay ex-husband and with the initial wording it made it sound like those kids couldn't be baptized. I believe they changed the wording a bit, but the damage was done.

There’s not many Mormons where I live (read: hardly any) so I was never exposed to it and lived my life thinking it was just another extreme sect of Christianity.  Then I went to see “The Book of Mormon” on Broadway, which of course led me to research what the Mormon really is all about, and I was literally speechless.

1 minute ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

There’s not many Mormons where I live (read: hardly any) so I was never exposed to it and lived my life thinking it was just another extreme sect of Christianity.  Then I went to see “The Book of Mormon” on Broadway, which of course led me to research what the Mormon really is all about, and I was literally speechless.

The South Park episode (which I believe inspired the creation of the musical) is pretty good too.  

So JinJer did a live stream interview with Jeremy's mom (Diana Vuolo) on the DFO Facebook page about her charity. They vaguely mention mass incarceration being an issue, but do they know teaching kids music (or any discipline) won't fix the system? Like, I'm not saying music isn't helpful or healing but it's not the core fix. Do they ever wonder why/how so many of the same types of people are incarcerated?

I have three words for them: but Prision Industrial Complex...the prison system literally makes money off of incarceration, with a majority of the incarcerated being black and brown bodies, low-income, first-generation etc.

Do they accept or seek to understand that? Or for them, is mentoring kids and pointing them to Jesus the only solution.

I guess that's why this charity makes me hesitant. I know help doesn't always have to be perfect but I don't trust these people. Sorry Diana.  

45 minutes ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

Same. Except I haven’t seen “Book of Mormon.” Now I’m sad. 

The Mormons actually just opened a huge temple in my state in the last year or two - it’s the first one in our entire area. One of my family members (Catholic) worked on the project and said they couldn’t have been nicer. They joked around a lot with him about religion in general and cut him a check for double what they originally agreed on because he did a ton of extra work for them. So I’m just going to assume the South Park episode about Mormonism is completely accurate now and their being so friendly is how they get you! :pb_lol:

Since I'm social media rampaging about, clearly Jeremy is speaking to himself. We know he knows how to tag Jinger in things, he regularly does it. Yet he chooses to post a love note where he's looking directly at the camera, not at his adoring helpmeet and not bother to tag her.  

In the 60s my Dad fell hard for a Mormon girl, hung out at her family's house, normal stuff. When it came to be known this nice young man had a black roommate and was more than just tan himself, their relationship came to an abrupt and unapologetic end. I don't believe LDS allowed minorities at the time, but he recalls his first love whenever it's holiday card time and I'm writing out his old roommate's address. 

For a while, black boy scouts in Mormon troops were not allowed to be patrol leaders. BSA  told them they had to. Now they're leaving boy scouts altogether. Probably because of the transgender thing.

Holy Moly...reading this thread has reminded me why I want to join the Freedom From Religion Foundation.  The squabbling among religions is ridiculous.

Just do what Jesus did.  I love his story even though I'm not sure he ever existed.

20 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Dawkins has stated that if he dies in such a way that he has a "death bed" period, he has requested that an audio device be recording at all times to ensure there is evidence to refute any "death bed conversion" claims. 

Those conversion claims are always such a shitty thing to do to the deceased. 

I can see him doing that. He came to my college once and I went to hear him speak. I felt so awkward because I was wearing my Star of David necklace, and his hatred for religion is a bit much. There was also a book signing and I was super tempted to troll him by bringing a bible and asking him to sign it. His reaction would have been fun.

4 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

(As an aside, typing "Taunton" so much makes me think of the French tongue twister, "Si ton tonton tond ton tonton, ton tonton tondu sera," meaning "If your uncle shaves your uncle, your uncle will be shaved." :pb_lol:)

Reading that over and over reminds me of Tauntauns.

Spoiler

luke-tauntaun-538x500.jpg

4 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

This makes me so sad. It reminds me of the controversy surrounding the Mormon church a few years ago when word got out that they were baptizing dead historical figures such as Anne Frank.

That's so fucked up!!! It's such a disrespectful, horrible thing to do to someone who suffered a horrific fate and DIED because of her beliefs. Along with millions of others. I'm going to sic my Holocaust survivor grandma on their asses. She's spry, she could take them in a fight.

6 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I can see him doing that. He came to my college once and I went to hear him speak. I felt so awkward because I was wearing my Star of David necklace, and his hatred for religion is a bit much. There was also a book signing and I was super tempted to troll him by bringing a bible and asking him to sign it. His reaction would have been fun.

I bet he would have found that funny. :pb_lol:

58 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Same. Except I haven’t seen “Book of Mormon.” Now I’m sad.

It is hysterical.  It definitely offends many people as it can be viewed as a criticism of all religion.  They have the broadway show and the traveling tour.  Either way is definitely worth it.

I saw Book of Mormon in the West End with my boyfriend for his last birthday. We both loved it, and Mum asked if my Dad would like it... well he certainly would but she'd be mortified by the swearing! I enjoyed it, it suited our dry British humour to the ground, but I can see why people would be offended - it's pretty hardline in places. Saw some parents there with their (adult) kids and they seemed kind of awkward together afterwards. Depends who you're watching with and their acceptance of dark and potentially politically incorrect humour too.

@Georgiana The first I heard of that aspect of Mormonism was when the musical Book of Mormon called it out in one of the musical numbers, but I had no idea it was like this. Good lord.

ETA: this one, for reference 

I saw The Book of Mormon with two of my friends.  I expected it to be a lot funnier based on the reviews.  It got a bit boring...JMO.

When we left the venue we were greeted by Mormons asking us the read the REAL Book of Mormon.  They were smiling, we were smiling, it was fine. 

It reminded me of Catholics who go to church but are tolerant and understanding of people who make fun of it.  I think most Catholics tolerate the fun making better than in other religions.  This opinion is based upon no research at all.

2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

@Georgiana Ooh yeah, the racism against Native Americans is a whole other issue with Mormonism, and I agree that it is incredibly offensive.

My First Nation cousins sure don't have a whole lot good things to say about it.

16 minutes ago, Carol said:

I saw The Book of Mormon with two of my friends.  I expected it to be a lot funnier based on the reviews.  It got a bit boring...JMO.

When we left the venue we were greeted by Mormons asking us the read the REAL Book of Mormon.  They were smiling, we were smiling, it was fine. 

It reminded me of Catholics who go to church but are tolerant and understanding of people who make fun of it.  I think most Catholics tolerate the fun making better than in other religions.  This opinion is based upon no research at all.

The LDS church had a pretty good-humored public response to the play. They did a campaign based on it:

Book-of-Mormon-Musical-Ad.jpg

13 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

The LDS church had a pretty good-humored public response to the play. They did a campaign based on it:

Maybe the next time I'm at a Marriott hotel I'll take a look

Just now, onekidanddone said:

Maybe the next time I'm at a Marriott hotel I'll take a look

It's all online too if you're really curious! I wouldn't particularly recommend it, though; it's an incredibly boring book. :pb_lol:

3 hours ago, neurogirl said:

In other words rejected their parents who loved them and nurtured them? Yea, pretty fucked up alright.

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

It's all online too if you're really curious! I wouldn't particularly recommend it, though; it's an incredibly boring book. :pb_lol:

I'm glad you said that. I've had a copy sitting around since the 90s and I just never cared enough to try to read it!

Is it really only Marriotts with the BoM?

I've always wanted to carry stickers that say "THIS BOOK IS ALL LIES" for the Gideon Bibles. That's about the extent of my atheist militance.  lol

The reason the BoM is found only in Marriott hotels is that the Marriott family is Mormon. I've never seen the musical, but for me, the book was extremely boring, as badly written Bible fan fiction before fan fiction became a thing. I think Mark Twain said it best when he called it "chloroform in print."

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived