IGNORED

Jinger 32: Light into the Darkness According to Jeremy

Coconut Flan

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do believe I had to read that book or similar or an excerpt or something for my American Lit class back in the day.  Honestly, while I wouldn't say I ENJOYED it, it certainly was eye-opening. People sometimes forget that the early Puritan colonies did genuinely see themselves as an EXAMPLE to others.  THEY had the moral right.  THEIR ways were God's ways. Everyone else was wrong, but America was the glowing city on a hill that others could aspire to!  AMERICA was bringing God into the WORLD!

And an element of that is still very much with us to this day.

From the last thread:

DON’T YOU DARE GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS!!!! 

I live in New England and I feel very strongly that the Duggars can stay the fuck away! :pb_lol:

Just now, Georgiana said:

I do believe I had to read that book or similar or an excerpt or something for my American Lit class back in the day.  Honestly, while I wouldn't say I ENJOYED it, it certainly was eye-opening. People sometimes forget that the early Puritan colonies did genuinely see themselves as an EXAMPLE to others.  THEY had the moral right.  THEIR ways were God's ways. Everyone else was wrong, but America was the glowing city on a hill that others could aspire to!  AMERICA was bringing God into the WORLD!

And an element of that is still very much with us to this day.

... people forget that? :pb_lol:

(But seriously. They made it fairly clear what they thought about themselves as compared to others. It baffles me that people forget that Puritans were kind of stuckup little jerks at times.)

Sorry I just choked from laughing picturing Jeremy dressed as a puritan. Hard to peacock like that! :P 

7 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Sorry I just choked from laughing picturing Jeremy dressed as a puritan. Hard to peacock like that!  

I dunno, I can see it...

FE8BD37F-A85F-4A3F-AAF0-FEE3F1763325.jpeg

@VelociRapture, one thing I loved about New England when I visited my daughter there was it felt so much less oppressive because it's okay if you are not religious.  Around here, one of the first things people will ask new neighbors  is what church you go to.  Some folks from Orlando, FL, moved into the neighborhood a few years ago and somewhat sheepishly admitted to another neighbor and I that they weren't religious.  Well, neither were either of us!   

9 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@VelociRapture, one thing I loved about New England when I visited my daughter there was it felt so much less oppressive because it's okay if you are not religious.  Around here, one of the first things people will ask new neighbors  is what church you go to.  Some folks from Orlando, FL, moved into the neighborhood a few years ago and somewhat sheepishly admitted to another neighbor and I that they weren't religious.  Well, neither were either of us!   

Me too. And I’d like it to stay this way. So no Duggars or Bateses! And no more trips to Connecticut for you too Salyer family! :pb_lol:

9 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

As a Canadian, I can't even imagine. The only time it's ever appropriate to ask someone that question here is if they bring it up themselves. ("I was helping out at my church's yard sale all day yesterday." "Oh, what church do you go to?")

Perhaps Jing can wear some sort of pilgrim themed lingerie if they go on an anniversary trip.  Some Puritan cosplay friskiness.

As a Canadian, I can't even imagine. The only time it's ever appropriate to ask someone that question here is if they bring it up themselves. ("I was helping out at my church's yard sale all day yesterday." "Oh, what church do you go to?")

That’s how it is here in the upper Midwest as well. It is simply not a topic of conversation and would be considered impolite to bring up by most people.

That said, I believe I’ve stated that before and been told I am wrong by people who have never been here. That may have been a different forum though. Not sure.

I have been to Boston and Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard the latter are my faves.  But now you people inspired me to take a cruise from Nova Scotia to New England.   When will that happen???

5 minutes ago, nst said:

I have been to Boston and Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard the latter are my faves.  But now you people inspired me to take a cruise from Nova Scotia to New England.   When will that happen???

I'm leaving tonight...New Orleans and So America!

@nst, I found out last night on Finding Your Roots that William H Macy's ancestor who was the first in the family to emigrate from England owned Nantucket at one time.  Yep, he owned the whole island.  He had apparently become a Quaker, but before that he was punished by the Puritans in the Massachusetts Bay Colony for sheltering four Quakers.  He let them come inside his house to get out of a rainstorm.  No wonder he joined the Society of Friends (i.e., the Quakers)!

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

That’s how it is here in the upper Midwest as well. It is simply not a topic of conversation and would be considered impolite to bring up by most people.

That said, I believe I’ve stated that before and been told I am wrong by people who have never been here. That may have been a different forum though. Not sure.

I'm in WI and I'd agree with you. I've only asked one person what church they went to and it was because they had mentioned something about church and I was still new to the area and looking to join one. The only times I have been asked what church or synod I belong to is if something church related came up in the conversation. 

I'm in WI and I'd agree with you. I've only asked one person what church they went to and it was because they had mentioned something about church and I was still new to the area and looking to join one. The only times I have been asked what church or synod I belong to is if something church related came up in the conversation. 

We just moved into a new neighborhood at the end of July. Only one new neighbor asked us about church and that happened because she invited us for drinks on a night we had a commitment at church and told her we’d be there. Then she asked which church.

No idea where any of the new neighbors go or if they go at all.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I'm leaving tonight...New Orleans and So America!

Which, of course, means something will likely happen with the Duggars. It seems like something is announced every time you leave the country. :pb_lol:

Every single one of our neighbors that introduced themselves when we moved in asked if we had a church. That's pretty typical and I'm pretty good, as a non-religious person born and raised in the South, at making vague responses. The previous owner of our house was a preacher at one of those big ass churches they have down here and most of the neighbors go to his church. We must be such a disappointment!

Yesterday I also got a super sketchy looking letter in the mailbox personally addressed to me (spelled all kinds of wrong, however), without a stamp. Inside was a tract and a handwritten letter about "Where is your soul going blah blah blah." I excitedly showed it to my husband, but he just doesn't get my fundie obsession.

I'd like to volunteer to convert the heathen lobsters of New England. And the maple syrup. And the clam chowda.

Every single one of our neighbors that introduced themselves when we moved in asked if we had a church. That's pretty typical and I'm pretty good, as a non-religious person born and raised in the South, at making vague responses. The previous owner of our house was a preacher at one of those big ass churches they have down here and most of the neighbors go to his church. We must be such a disappointment!
Yesterday I also got a super sketchy looking letter in the mailbox personally addressed to me (spelled all kinds of wrong, however), without a stamp. Inside was a tract and a handwritten letter about "Where is your soul going blah blah blah." I excitedly showed it to my husband, but he just doesn't get my fundie obsession.

Outside of family and people I know from church, I only know a handful of people that regularly attend church , and fewer than that who are actively involved in a church. In the Midwest where it is supposed to be the conservative Bible Belt.

Of course, people you meet casually here don’t start talking about religion, so who knows.

54 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Which, of course, means something will likely happen with the Duggars. It seems like something is announced every time you leave the country. :pb_lol:

Much like the Duggars, I'm good at "getting busy."...maybe not in quite the same the activities, but yes. I'm also going again for Christmas, so there should be lots of Duggar announcements in the next 6 weeks. :my_tongue:

13 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

My mother moved from the Bronx to Shreveport Louisiana when she was first married in the early 50s.  Total culture shock.  Somebody asked her what church she attended and she said none because she was Jewish. Wrong answer. The woman responded by saying "oh no I meant do you go to ..." and she proceeded to list many different Protestant congregations. That was not the only example of culture shock.  She asked a co-workers about the upcoming Lincoln's birthday holiday.  Well you would think she had just eaten a kitten as the other women just stared at her.  One said "We don't celebrate that here, we celebrate Robert E. Lee's.

You can take the woman out of the Bronx, but you can't take the Bronx out of the woman.

24 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

You can take the woman out of the Bronx, but you can't take the Bronx out of the woman.

My parents are from the Bronx also. I love this statement and it's. Completely true about my parents. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived