IGNORED

Jinger 32: Light into the Darkness According to Jeremy

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

@nastyhobbitses I love the milquetoast testimonies too!   But it's a fundamental (heh!) problem in Born Again culture, that the first generation can have their scandalous lives turned around by Jesus, but their kids are in a bind.   Their parents have obviously bought them up perfectly, and rebelling against them would be dishonouring the parents (aka making them look bad) and yet they need to have a dramatic testimony of their own about how they've been Saved.

And even the scandalousness is usually a pretty big fat nothing. Jeremy was your typical douchey frat boy (who was very lucky to be white while mouthing off to a cop). Michelle wore a bikini sometimes. David Rodrigues went to a couple of parties and drank a little beer. I would kick all of their asses at Never Have I Ever.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that Jinj is reading the New York Times, and I love that Jeremy isn't hiding it from his fellow rightwing bible thumpers.

3 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I find it hilarious that people in those circles LOVE the "I got drunk at a party one time and got a tattoo and then I FOUND THE LORD" narrative, but don't let their kids experience anything that would contribute to such a narrative, so when second-gen fundies have to give testimony about their salvation, it's always "one time I was four and I acted like a four-year-old, so my parents told me that God would punish me and I would burn in hell forever, separated from my loved ones after I die, so I found the lord" or "I was six and wanted my parents to pay attention to me, so I told them that I found Jesus".

I don't think these folks understand how to raise and guide children to become productive members of society. The Duggars have an especially skewed approach where they treat 7 year olds like adults, yet when said children are 17, they treat them like 2 year olds. Remember when Jessa started getting to know Ben and JB/M were all up in her grill more than they were Josie's, who would have been about 3-4 at the time? WTH- totally skewed.

You have to let kids make choices and mistakes along the way if you expect them to become confident, productive members of society. And don't JB and M consider themselves successful and devout? Well, they went to school and were not raised in isolation; were allowed to have choices and make mistakes, and yet God has not prevented them from being successful people.

Among evangelical teens who go to school, a popular testimony is the “I made Sports an idol then I got hurt/didn’t make varsity/we lost the championship and I had to find Jesus again”.

Heard it 800 million times at Christian school

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived