IGNORED

Jinger 32: Light into the Darkness According to Jeremy

Coconut Flan

Yes, they have Bibles and The Book of Mormon in Marriott chains. Except, not in the resort residences for some reason.

I once opened one and the first page was a painting of Jesus coming off a boat, ministering to indigenous people in the Americas. There was a Mayan temple behind him and everything. It was...interesting. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Yes, they have Bibles and The Book of Mormon in Marriott chains. Except, not in the resort residences for some reason.

I once opened one and the first page was a painting of Jesus coming off a boat, ministering to indigenous people in the Americas. There was a Mayan temple behind him and everything. It was...interesting. 

You mean that's not how it happened?

So the story goes that Jesus came among the Mayans? Guess I should read up.

An old and dear friend became a Mormon long ago. Never discussed it with her, but it has served her and her husband well it would seem. I just could not believe, as the song goes. 

A bit of "Mormon related trivia" the original Battlestar Galactica is heavily Mormon/LDS influenced.  Glen A Larson the creator of the 1978 series was Mormon (stuff I learned from LDS folks on a message board when the reboot of the series by Ron Moore was airing).  

3 hours ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

If I’m remembering correctly, the Mormons believe that Jesus came to the Americas after his resurrection.

I thought it was while he was dead and before his resurrection? 

Okay, I must ask, how is Battlestar Galactica LDS?  I'm scared to ask but I need to know.

(Back to the photograph of JinJer)

Actually, the composition of that photo looks like a book cover...

Hmm...

@justoneoftwo try reading this (Dessert News = Salt Lake City)
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865616057/Mormon-creator-of-Battlestar-Galactica-dared-to-produce-something-profound.html

Glen Larson, himself a Latter-day Saint, had infused his series mythology with too many Mormon references to ignore. His Twelve Colonies of Man were essentially the Lost Tribes of Israel whose history began at Kobol, an obvious anagram for Kolob, which, in Mormon theology, is the star nearest to the throne of God. The colonies were led by a "Quorum of 12," and marriages were referred to as “sealings” that extended beyond mortality and “through all the eternities.” The show never shied away from religious themes, and, at one point, the characters encounter a group of angels who paraphrase LDS Church President Lorenzo Snow.

Remember this is the 78 series, not the Reboot.  

or this:

http://adventures-in-mormonism.com/2009/03/21/lds-themes-in-battlestar-galactica-knowing-and-watchmen/

Battlestar Galactica [the original 1978 series, that is] — In an effort to embarrass the Church, the devil caused Mormon terms like “eternal marriage” and “the Council of the Twelve” and “Kobol” (Kolob) to be presented in an uninspired, untalented, badly written television show. Thus, when missionaries tell investigators about the Council of the Twelve, the investigators are quite likely to giggle and say, “I’m sorry to laugh, but that just reminds me of the silliest sort of science fiction.”

Here's another one that actually talks about religious themes in both versions:

http://www.beliefnet.com/entertainment/movies/2005/05/born-again-battlestar.aspx

15 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

(Back to the photograph of JinJer)

Actually, the composition of that photo looks like a book cover...

Hmm...

I can see it now...

”My Wife Wears Pants for Jesus: A Stylish Man’s Guide to Modest Female Attire”

”The Camera Loves Me (And I Love It Back): The Jeremy Vuolo Story”

“Light Into the Darkness: A Collection of a D-List Celebrity’s Best Sermons”

”One Year of Marriage and Counting - The Vuolo’s Best Marriage Advice” (with a special Forward written by Jeremy and Audrey Roloff)

”Goalkeeping For Jesus: How We Saved the Poor Souls of Laredo”

ETA: “Everybody Hates Derick: The Official Tell-All of Jeremy and Jinger Vuolo”

Looks like the in-laws are in town. Edit: nvm, apparently they're just eating tacos, again.

Jeremy sucks at ping pong.

Spoiler
Spoiler

I wonder who took the photo...

Spoiler

Also, that doesn't look like economy setting.

51 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

I wonder who took the photo...

I always wonder who takes the photos of the Vuolos, and of Lawson Bates, because they never seem to credit the photographer.  It's a pet peeve of mine, because it's so, so easy to credit people, and it pisses me off that even if it's not a pro photographer, they're doing the subjects a big favour.  It's especially galling to me because of Jinger's pre-marriage jobs as a photographer, so she should appreciate that there are skills involved.

At least the Bateses credit Taryn when they use her photos, and the other people who do the engagement shots. 

Quick someone take our picture to show how Hipster Jesus we are before we figure out that hipster Jesus isn't out (or in) anymore.  

The photo background is the the same as the Seewald's newest family portrait. Same trees and Fence. 
So I'm guessing...just updated Family photos. 

21909324_150990372161016_7322206799094874112_n-1.jpg

All this talk about baptisms against your will reminds me of a book I read about mother Teresa who was no Saint if you really look into her actions-start by realizing she flew privately around the world to top hospitals for her own care but did not allow meds to those ailing in her homes -even some who could have their lives saved by basic care-  even though her foundations had a shitload of donation sitting in banks-

from the book The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice by Christopher  Hitchens:

"In the homes for the dying, Mother taught the sisters how to secretly baptize those who were dying, Sisters were to ask each person in danger of death if he wanted a 'ticket to heaven'. An affirmative reply was to mean consent to baptism. The sister was then to pretend she was just cooling the person's forehead with a wet cloth, while in fact she was baptizing him, saying quietly the necessary words. Secrecy was important so that it would not come to be known that MT's sisters were baptizing Hindus and Moslems." -page 48. 

40 minutes ago, FleeJanaFree said:

All this talk about baptisms against your will reminds me of a book I read about mother Teresa who was no Saint if you really look into her actions-start by realizing she flew privately around the world to top hospitals for her own care but did not allow meds to those ailing in her homes -even some who could have their lives saved by basic care-  even though her foundations had a shitload of donation sitting in banks-

from the book The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice by Christopher  Hitchens:

"In the homes for the dying, Mother taught the sisters how to secretly baptize those who were dying, Sisters were to ask each person in danger of death if he wanted a 'ticket to heaven'. An affirmative reply was to mean consent to baptism. The sister was then to pretend she was just cooling the person's forehead with a wet cloth, while in fact she was baptizing him, saying quietly the necessary words. Secrecy was important so that it would not come to be known that MT's sisters were baptizing Hindus and Moslems." -page 48. 

Im not the biggest fan of Hitchens (though I don’t hate him like I do Dawkins), but he’s right on this one. Mother Theresa kind of majorly sucked. 

I forgot to mention yesterday, on the subject of Jeremy's "intellectual cowardice" and refusal to read the actual works he's criticizing, that's exactly why one of my friends read Twilight. She wanted to elk people who gushed over the book exactly why they're wrong :pb_lol:

22 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I bet he would have found that funny. :pb_lol:

Damn, missed opportunity. I really wanted to see his reaction.

22 hours ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

It is hysterical.  It definitely offends many people as it can be viewed as a criticism of all religion.  They have the broadway show and the traveling tour.  Either way is definitely worth it.

Best. Musical. Ever. I want to see it a second time. Also, speaking of best musicals, I need to see Hamilton.

My synagouge puts on a musical every year (I've never been, so I don't know about the quality level) and I was saying to my dad I wanted to suggest Book of Mormon. He pointed out that a musical mocking religion that has song that repeatedly stated, "fuck oh, gd" isn't the most appropriate for performing at a synagogue. I had to admit he had a good point.

4 hours ago, Lurky said:

I always wonder who takes the photos of the Vuolos, and of Lawson Bates, because they never seem to credit the photographer.  It's a pet peeve of mine, because it's so, so easy to credit people, and it pisses me off that even if it's not a pro photographer, they're doing the subjects a big favour.  It's especially galling to me because of Jinger's pre-marriage jobs as a photographer, so she should appreciate that there are skills involved.

At least the Bateses credit Taryn when they use her photos, and the other people who do the engagement shots. 

Exactly!!! As an amateur photographer this really pisses me off. I say on my page people can use photos I take as long as they credit me/tag my page. Some people are good about it, others steal the photos and crop out my watermark in the photo and use it to promote their team. People did that recently and I wanted to make a really passive aggressive comment about not crediting me. Next time I should just comment with a link to my page. Such a dick move for people to not credit photographers. I should just keep track of people who do that and watermark over their faces.

Love Book of Mormon - I’ve seen it three times! West End, US National Tour and Broadway.

Fun fact, before most BoM performances, they host a lottery where you can enter and be in a drawing for $25 front row seats - even for the National Tour. That’s how I saw it twice, the third time was a $20 standing room ticket on Broadway. Yes you have to stand but it was worth it!

@Londish,  I think Rent has a tradition of doing something like that.  That reminds me of something my daughter told me about a high school theatre department that was going to put on Rent except the principal wanted to make it about diabetes and not AIDS.  How the fuck do you make Rent about diabetes?

6 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Londish,  I think Rent has a tradition of doing something like that.  That reminds me of something my daughter told me about a high school theatre department that was going to put on Rent except the principal wanted to make it about diabetes and not AIDS.  How the fuck do you make Rent about diabetes?

1) that’s really cool about Rent, I didn’t know they did that! The tour is coming to Munich town next month so I wi will finitely check out on that, thank you!

2) re:the high school principal - that sounds hilariously bad! More like a parody than a performance in earnest 

10 hours ago, Londish said:

1) that’s really cool about Rent, I didn’t know they did that! The tour is coming to Munich town next month so I wi will finitely check out on that, thank you!

2) re:the high school principal - that sounds hilariously bad! More like a parody than a performance in earnest 

I actually won the lottery for RENT the last time it was here in Minneapolis. We were sitting in the orchestra pit and it was insanely crazy how close we were. Well worth it! 

I have also seen the Book of Mormon. I enjoyed it a lot and would see it again. 

Saw 'Love Never Dies: The Phantom Returns' tonight as a belated present for my birthday. It was decent but having seen the original POTO at what was the Pantages theater in Toronto, it just wasn't the same. Seeing Webber in person, even from afar, was a trip!! I want to see Rent and Wicked when they come back this way.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived