IGNORED

Jinger 32: Light into the Darkness According to Jeremy

Coconut Flan

I hated Jacob, I have to admit. Edward was bad, but Jacob was even worse. He was a nice kid before he became a werewolf, but after that he was a raging douchecanoe.

The best part of the entire series is when Edward performs an emergency C-section on Bella by ripping her abdomen open with his teeth, then stabs her in the heart with a syringe full of his own venom. If the whole book had been that hilariously twisted, I would've loved it. But I don't think that was what Stephenie Meyer was actually aiming for.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because I can remain anonymous on FJ, I'll admit something I know brings great shame . . . The twilight movies are my guilty pleasures, and I'm gonna be 32 tomorrow :my_biggrin:.

I literally watch them all at least once a year, and they're my go to for guilty pleasure viewing ~ that and Austen movies <3

I tsarted reading twilight when i was either 12 or 13, and saw the movies too. I was 16 when the last one came out. I thought Edward was creepy and Bella was an idiot. Jacob was just too stupid for words, but hey, Taylor Lautner was the hottest thing ever when i was 14, so i was #teamjacob everytime i went to the cinema. I hated eclipse and breaking down was just so stupid and boring, and that ending, really, it felt like they were preparing for the fucking WWIII and in the end all they got was, ''welp, whatevs, send a card on christmas''. 

They were entertaining, but even at 12 i could tell that they were seriously messed up. But i wouldn't change a thing, because watching a movie with 300 horny 15 year olds is really fun when you are one :pb_lol:

ETA: I can't believe i haven't mentioned how much i hated New Moon. It was just, a guy leaves you and you try to kill yourself? Really sweetie? Is your life honestly so empty you can't live without creepface for two minutes? And now that i think, i only barely liked the first one, why did i keep reading them? And why the hell did i read themm all FIVE FUCKING TIMES? :pb_lol:

22 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

ETA: I can't believe i haven't mentioned how much i hated New Moon. It was just, a guy leaves you and you try to kill yourself? Really sweetie? Is your life honestly so empty you can't live without creepface for two minutes? And now that i think, i only barely liked the first one, why did i keep reading them? And why the hell did i read themm all FIVE FUCKING TIMES? :pb_lol:

The first half of New Moon was actually my favourite part of the whole series, because essentially what it was about was a girl in her late teens who had just gotten out of her first serious relationship. Her boyfriend had left her and broken her heart, and he was very manipulative and the whole thing was super unhealthy and co-dependent, and she has no idea how to function now and live life as a normal teenager. Then she reconnects with an old childhood friend and they bond over a shared interest (repairing motorcycles) and she starts to develop what may be an actual healthy (but platonic) relationship. But she's also still dealing with the grief of her boyfriend leaving her, and engaging in some seriously self-destructive behaviour (racing motorcycles, and I think jumping off a cliff at one point?). Then she realizes Jacob has feelings for her and has to navigate that issue, and wonders whether maybe she wants to be in a relationship with him too. But her super hot boyfriend who was super manipulative and wrong for her and who left her so suddenly and broke her heart still haunts her and she can't move on.

Aaaand then Jacob turns into a werewolf and the vampires return. So much for actual human conflict. :pb_lol:

I remember my mum got me the books to read when I was in year 7 (so about 2006). By the time the film was due to come out, my high school friends and I were super excited to finally see the movie. 

Walked out if the first film so disappointed I never touched the books or watched any of the film's again. I'm a bit proud of 15 year old me for going "This was soooooo terrible... Back to Harry Potter it is!".

@Fundie Bunny Team Edward or bust! :playful2:

I was diehard Team Edward as a teenager, mostly because he was rich, could make Bella immortal and didn't turn into a pseudo-pedophile at the end.

Funny story: Because of how much I liked Twilight, my mom almost bought me 50 Shades of Gray when it came out. 

The 50 Shades books were some terrible but um, interesting, reading material. I got Hubby to watch 50 Shades Darker 2 nights ago. He said it wasn't horrible. But jeez Ana ALWAYS had lipstick on in that movie!!

I had a daughter old enough to go bonkers over Edward and Jake when the Twilight movies came out. So glad we're out of that phase and into anime and cosplay now!!

I'm gonna start this off by sayin that I've never read the twilight books, so my opinions aren't necessaril as informed. I will however defend twilight at least some forever. Those books got so many people interested in reading, and many of them kept on after that.

I'm not saying it's okay that the books glorify an abusive relationship (though so much of media does without ever being called out, so I don't know why Twilight is what everyone chooses to hate) and the imprinting thing is weird, but those books did a lot of good in getting people to read a ton who otherwise wouldn't have.

4 hours ago, Fun Undies said:

Because I can remain anonymous on FJ, I'll admit something I know brings great shame . . . The twilight movies are my guilty pleasures, and I'm gonna be 32 tomorrow :my_biggrin:.

that's nothing 

every year on my birthday I watch 16 candles and I am turning 45 on the 15th 

and I can recite Footloose with Kevin Bacon verbatim and Happy Birthday !!!

6 minutes ago, nst said:

that's nothing 

every year on my birthday I watch 16 candles and I am turning 45 on the 15th 

and I can recite Footloose with Kevin Bacon verbatim 

Where is Jake Ryan?  that is what I want to know. 

16 candles is a classic.  That and Ferris Bueller are my favorite 'teen' movies.  ( and Easy A, but that is a much more recent movie)

Anyway,  I hope that Jinger has no regrets.  I hope that she feels loved and supported, and that Jeremy is kind and gentle with her as she figures out who she is.  Jeremy should read here and realize that he and Jinger have many other options rather than staying in the family brand. 

1 minute ago, calimojo said:

Where is Jake Ryan?  that is what I want to know. 

16 candles is a classic.  

Michael Schoeffling as Love Interest Jake Ryan

In 1984, the name "Michael Schoeffling" (or rather, "Jake Ryan") was synonymous with "heartthrob." (Isn't it still?) After appearing in "Sixteen Candles," one of his first film roles, Schoeffling went on to appear in several other movies before leaving Hollywood for good in the early '90s. Since then, he's stayed out of the public eye, so much so that it's nearly impossible to find recent photos or interviews with the former actor. The Washington Post once reported that his last interview took place in 1991, and at that point, Schoeffling, a carpenter near Wilkes-Barre, Pa., was married with two children.

It is harder to watch the scene when Jake tells anthony michael hall, to take the drunk girl home and have fun, wink wink, but sadly that was a reflection of the times, I guess. 

So actually, the more I think about it, the more disturbing 16 Candles is.  Oh man, I hate it when my favorite things turn out to be terrible.  Rampant racism, suggestion of date rape, treating women like trophies, etc.  Yes,  it captured a moment in time, but honestly,  it isn't really one that we probably want to go back to .  And despite all that,  if it come across while channel surfing, I will probably sit down and finish watching it

14 minutes ago, BecausePrayer said:

I'm not saying it's okay that the books glorify an abusive relationship (though so much of media does without ever being called out, so I don't know why Twilight is what everyone chooses to hate)

Frankly, I think it's because it was written by a woman and enjoyed by teenage girls. There are a lot of TV shows and books that have been outrageously popular for the past decade or so that are WAY worse than Twilight when it comes to glorifying abuse/rape culture/violence/cruelty/etc. but they tend to be written by men and marketed to men, so it's okay. Women and girls, on the other hand, are fragile and incapable of handling their emotions or distinguishing between fantasy and reality.

Just now, singsingsing said:

Frankly, I think it's because it was written by a woman and enjoyed by teenage girls.

That's what I was thinking just didn't want to be the one to say it. Seems like everytime something has a fanbase made up of mostly teen/young girls, everyone else in the world finds a reason to hate it while ignoring the issues in their own, equally as popular, media

9 hours ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

No no no, you see Jacob was never actually in love with Bella, he was actually in love with the egg hanging out in her left ovary that would eventually be fertilized by Edward and become Renesme. SO IT IS FINE. TOTES NOT WEIRD TO MARRY THE DAUGHTER OF THE GIRL YOU KISSED IN HIGH SCHOOL. Nope. Nothing to see there. 

Not to mention that Bella and Edward are mentally frozen at age 17/18 for eternity. The fact that Stephenie Meyer thinks that is a good thing, says a lot about her inner mental state. Oh and it is totally a wonderful thing that Renesme's entire childhood lasts 7 years. That's all she gets before she's a full grown adult (teen probably, because SM apparently thinks being a teen forever is the best case scenario) and presumably marrying Jacob, her first and only romantic partner from the time she was BORN. Nope, not weird at all. Sounds like a perfect mormon romance to me!

ETA: @nickelodeon, have you read LDS Sparkledammerung? It is just this girl's amazing LJ post from 2008 but she gets in deep with all of the Mormon symbolism and easter eggs in the Twilight series. Like the fact that Edward's physical description is exactly like Joseph Smith's??? "HI THERE CREEPY AUTHOR WANTING TO BONE YOUR PROPHET," is the best thing anyone has ever written in response to Twilight. 

Is this what you're talking about?

http://stoney321.livejournal.com/317176.html

Because this is gold

I started watching the Twilight series with RIFFTRAX. It made it super funny and I highly recommend it to anyone who gets a kick out of MST3K as it's done by the same people.

1 hour ago, divadivine said:

Tomorrow is JinJer’s 1st Anniversary and no blessings have been born or announced. It’s a Festivus Miracle. 

Part of me is glad for them and hopes that it is part of their plan. I genuinely hope it is not some sort of infertility issue, because seriously, it is painful to want to conceive and not be able to.

31 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Not to mention that Bella and Edward are mentally frozen at age 17/18 for eternity. The fact that Stephenie Meyer thinks that is a good thing, says a lot about her inner mental state.

I was miserable when I was 18 so why the fuck would I want to be stuck like that?  Just creepy

16 minutes ago, meowfundiecatz said:

Part of me is glad for them and hopes that it is part of their plan. I genuinely hope it is not some sort of infertility issue, because seriously, it is painful to want to conceive and not be able to.

Looking forward to how Jimbob and Michelle wish them happy anniversary.........And their siblings too, for that matter. Will they mention it or not?

Confession time?

I can recite the entire dialog for Top Gun. And also St. Elmo’s Fire. 

And although I’m of a certain vintage (51 later this month), I’ve never seen 16 Candles. 

6 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Confession time?

I can recite the entire dialog for Top Gun. And also St. Elmo’s Fire. 

And although I’m of a certain vintage (51 later this month), I’ve never seen 16 Candles. 

Heathers.  I know that movie by heart, and sometimes quote it. 

Damn, this girl put some soul into her Twilight hating. :pb_lol: FJ is always making me fall down the weirdest rabbit holes.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived