IGNORED

Sierra - Strawberries, Duggars, Strawberries

samurai_sarah

Yeah, that old wives tale messed with my head too! I got wicked bad reflux my last month and consoled myself I'd have a cute fat baby with thick black Troll doll hair just like I did as a newborn .I got a skinny bald kid who started growing in white wisps. He's 2 now and I still have to give him a combover because his hair is so fine and patchy (and prefers to knot itself into beginning dreads. If he wasn't so messy I'd just roll with it- heh, literally). 

I'm very average looking (by my estimation, anyway) though fat so I don't get many comments now I'm not preggo other than how I look exactly like their sister/cousin/friend from high school. My husband gets lots of questions about his curly hair though. I think some of the time people are just trying to be friendly and break the ice by asking stupid questions. And then there are the jerkbutts. When my hair was pink, an old man came up to me at my retail job and told me if I was his daughter he'd throw me in the trash. Thanks for sharing? 

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a physical trait, but in October our work had a fundraising competition for breast cancer awareness month, and I easily raised the most money (over $1,000 while most others raised maybe $100). This woman, who has generally been rude to me, asked me in a really odd way why people had donated so much to my fundraising page. She didn’t really know what to say when I replied that my mom died of breast cancer the year prior. At first I felt bad for reacting so bluntly, but the way she asked me (like, who would possibly donate to you?) just really irked me. 

Mine is “is that a wedding ring? You’re way too young to be married!” I’m 27.

I know I should be flattered but there’s only so many times I can defend my life choices before I get sick of hearing it.

If I hear "wow, you're so short/petite!" one more time, I'm just going to claim I'm actually Shaquille O'Neal, but I can shapeshift. 

On 07/01/2018 at 4:16 AM, HarryPotterFan said:

You’d be surprised at invasive, inappropriate questions people get asked. Example: People with visibile disabilities get asked all the time, “What happened?” For instance, if someone uses a wheelchair strangers will ask them, “How did you end up in a wheelchair?” People ask me about my scars. I haven’t figured out a polite way to say, “Fuck you, none of your business.”

‘If you’ll forgive me for not answering, I’ll forgive you for asking such a rude question,’

While I agree that @adidas's response is perfect, I'm past being nice about answering rude, invasive questions. I was taught NEVER to ask anything personal (about scars, income, how much something cost, etc.). 

I think I'm going to change my standard response to "Why would you ask me that?"

I look older than I am, and people often blurt it out then get embarrassed. Occasionally (and pretty much exclusively from middle aged and elderly women), they start giving me unsolicited beauty tips, and THAT drives me crazy. Like, dude, I'm 27. This isn't the first time I'm hearing about makeup. Please stop.

On 1/6/2018 at 9:13 PM, Carm_88 said:

Otherwise, I have red hair and people seem to love to ask if it's natural. Why? 

I'm fair skinned and freckled, but my hair is naturally a sandy darker blonde. I dyed my hair red toward the end of college and kept it up for my first two years of law school, so I had met a lot of people who never knew me as a blonde. People were shocked when I told them that it wasn't my natural hair color and said they couldn't imagine me blonde! I also encountered lots of random people out and about in life asking if it was natural.

I'm back to the color I normally choose now (lighter blonde color) and I think it suits me better, but one day I'll probably get bored and do red again. When it was red I did also get a lot of compliments from strangers that my hair was so beautiful! So that part was fun.

On 1/6/2018 at 9:20 PM, BlondeIdol said:

I get asked about my insulin pump all the time by complete strangers while out in public. My usual response is to tell them I am a cyborg. I understand people's curiosity but it's gotten old after 15 years of complete strangers approaching me about my body. People are weird.

@BlondeIdol Fellow insulin pump user here! People have asked me to lift my shirt and show them where it is inserted into my skin. I’m very self-conscious about my stomach and always fumble around awkwardly. I try to answer questions the best way I can because I know most people are genuinely curious, but it definitely gets old.

I dyed my hair red for about 3 years. After a while I just couldn't take it anymore. The dye started to make me sick. Now I'm back to my normal color hair (light brown) I don't miss my red hair and I only have to go to the hairdresser every 3 months for a haircut instead of every 6 weeks to get it dyed. 

6 minutes ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

@BlondeIdol Fellow insulin pump user here! People have asked me to lift my shirt and show them where it is inserted into my skin. I’m very self-conscious about my stomach and always fumble around awkwardly. I try to answer questions the best way I can because I know most people are genuinely curious, but it definitely gets old.

YIkes, people are so rude! A very simple answer to that VERY rude and personal question is, "I'd rather not" and then explain HOW it is attached, you are under no obligation to show ANYONE any part of you that you don't want to. 

Hi! This is my first post, but I have been reading this page for a while, because I randomly got obsessed with the Duggars and Bates, even though I'm not even from the US. I hope I can share a few of my thoughts with you guys, because here nobody even knows who these families are. But anyways, about the current discussion here: I have very long, blonde, curly, voluminous hair and you would not believe how many questions random strangers ask me about it. How long does it take to wash it? How often do you wash it? What products do you use? Do you have extentions? How long did it take you to grow it this long? Is it dyed? Are the curls natural? How long do you take in the morning? And the worst question of all: Can I touch it? (NO, absolutely not!) But what is even worse than all of that is, that sometimes (I'd say about 100 times in my life) people have just TOUCHED MY HAIR WITHOUT ASKING! I think that is insanely rude.

35 minutes ago, Chocolatecheesecake said:

What products do you use? 

I can almost understand this question as someone who has yet to find the perfect product for my thick curly somewhat coarse hair. Whenever I see someone with perfect curled hair without being frizzy I’m tempted to ask. However, I realize that this is an odd question to ask a perfect stranger so I don’t.

@nastyhobbitses I’ve said that if one more person asks me how tall I am I’m going to ask them how much they weigh “since we are asking personal questions” but I realize that’s very rude so I will just settle with “I’m not going to answer that”.

1 hour ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

I'm fair skinned and freckled, but my hair is naturally a sandy darker blonde. I dyed my hair red toward the end of college and kept it up for my first two years of law school, so I had met a lot of people who never knew me as a blonde. People were shocked when I told them that it wasn't my natural hair color and said they couldn't imagine me blonde! I also encountered lots of random people out and about in life asking if it was natural.

I'm back to the color I normally choose now (lighter blonde color) and I think it suits me better, but one day I'll probably get bored and do red again. When it was red I did also get a lot of compliments from strangers that my hair was so beautiful! So that part was fun.

I also have very fair skin,and my natural hair color was also a dark blonde....I'm going gray..now.Once,I used a temporary hair color,I have or had natural red,and gold highlights,it brought out the red.I actually received a lot of compliments,hair stylists have told me for years (when they try to convince me to color my hair) that I could go with a lighter blonde or red,because of my fair complexion.

And once I had someone ask,when my hair wasn't colored,what was my natural color!I am like this is my natural color.Also when I turned 20,my hair got darker...less of the natural gold,and my grandmother was so disappointed.She kept urging me to "put a rinse" on my hair (color or dye it)...so also had issues with my pale skin and would also urge me to "get a sunburn."Melon,you need to get a sunburn"...meaning  suntan,but it really would have been a sunburn..because I don't tan well,at all...I told her I did not want wrinkles and premature aging..she insisted I could tan if I worked at it...I am too impatient..it's ridiculous,but I want instant results...lol..with exercise,weight-loss,suntans.

I've gotten people:

-insisting that I straighten my hair (I don't)

-insisting that I dye my hair (I never have)

-insisting that my hair is black, even when I tell them it's dark brown (but I guess they would know? wtf)

-eyeing me all over as they try to figure out/guess my ethnicity. ("What are you?" "I'm Canadian." "But what's your... background?" "French, Scottish, English and German." "But are you sure you're not Native American?" "Yes." "Are you SURE?" "Yes." "Are you Jewish?" "No." "But you look so Jewish!" "Hey, are you Italian?" "You're Italian, right?" "I love Italian women ;)")

Why.

Six weeks in and I’ve  had more people than I care to ask if I had my twins naturally. Like ransoms in the grocery store. Are you really asking me about my sex life/ reproductive health in front of the sweet potatoes? I need some sort of smart ass response...

45 minutes ago, sta_sha said:

Six weeks in and I’ve  had more people than I care to ask if I had my twins naturally. Like ransoms in the grocery store. Are you really asking me about my sex life/ reproductive health in front of the sweet potatoes? I need some sort of smart ass response...

not exactly smart-ass, but a good withering stare :pb_surprised: along with "why on EARTH would you EVER ask such a question?????" always works...

My cousin said that someone actually asked her if her two daughters had the same father. And apparently acted like it was a completely appropriate question to ask. 

3 hours ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

@Alice in Fundieland Yeah same here. I'm very self conscious about my stomach and hips. When people ask to see it's just like WTF what is wrong with you. Like, I said, people can be weird. 

4 hours ago, adidas said:

‘If you’ll forgive me for not answering, I’ll forgive you for asking such a rude question,’

I used this a lot while pregnant... I had a honey moon baby and people had all sorts of questions.

1 hour ago, Daisy0322 said:

I used this a lot while pregnant... I had a honey moon baby and people had all sorts of questions.

Same here lol.  My husband and I had lived together for a few years before getting married.  Engaged for 6m before marriage.  I went off the pill on my wedding day and just lucked out. When I told the neighbor across the street, she was like “.... didn’t you JUST get married?” (With a certain tone which questioned the timing).

Uh. Yes.  Did just get married.  But besides that, why does it freaking matter anyway?  I was 29 and owner my own house (before hubby) for 5 years... 

I have a very elegant southern friend who uses the phrases "I'm so sorry, have we met?" and "Do I know you?" to random  rude questions from strangers. Works beautifully most of the time.

I usually get "wow you have small feet!" Uhm, yes? They're not that small (5,5/6) but apparently people think they are too small for my size (5' 7") 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived