IGNORED

Sierra - Strawberries, Duggars, Strawberries

samurai_sarah

On 11/3/2017 at 12:49 PM, catlady said:

If you use "and' or "or" before the last item in the list, it is optional to put a comma before and/or.

I had enough teachers in grade school beat me over the head with the need for a comma before the and/or that it will never be optional for me. I accept other people's omission of the final comma, but I will never be able to omit it myself. Thanks ladies!! :pb_rollseyes:

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Oxford (serial) comma is a must. No ifs, ands, or buts. (See what I did there?)

i used to to work for a firm whose style guide insisted there be no Oxford commas in any of our technical writing. It chapped my ass to have to omit that final comma. I only worked there for eight months, and the Oxford comma was one of the reasons I left. 

@catlady Thanks, that's very useful. I've never learned English punctuation, so I just automatically use rules of my native language. That's not the best idea, of course. 

Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma?

(I actually really like Oxford commas. It irritates me when I'm writing in other languages that don't use them.)

3 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

(I actually really like Oxford commas. It irritates me when I'm writing in other languages that don't use them.)

It’s a big deal in the editing world.

I’m an occasional freelance proofreader and the regular job I do each year (said job consisting of a magazine and an event program for a super-swanky event held in the US but with international participants) does not like the Oxford comma.

Personally I’m a fan of “use whatever punctuation is needed to make your meaning clear, but no more.”

1 minute ago, church_of_dog said:

It’s a big deal in the editing world.

I’m an occasional freelance proofreader and the regular job I do each year (said job consisting of a magazine and an event program for a super-swanky event held in the US but with international participants) does not like the Oxford comma.

Personally I’m a fan of “use whatever punctuation is needed to make your meaning clear, but no more.”

I probably should have made it clearer that the "Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma?" line was a quote from a song! I put the link in the question mark, but here it is again. It's a fun song.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I probably should have made it clearer that the "Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma?" line was a quote from a song! I put the link in the question mark, but here it is again. It's a fun song.

OMG thanks!  I am so oblivious, lol.

I did think “wow, @Rachel333 doesn’t usually say things so harshly” :lol: but ya never know what people have strong feelings about — fj has taught me that if nothing else...

7 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

ya never know what people have strong feelings about — fj has taught me that if nothing else...

Very true! It's hilarious how dramatic people can be about really petty things on the internet.

@Rachel333 I love that song! I'm meant to be working so that was a lovely little procrastination. 

My partner and I went on a road trip through part of the USA this summer (coast to coast via 13 states plus a couple of Canadian provinces), and tried to choose music that was regionally-appropriate. That album was one of our picks for the Boston/Cape Cod leg. Before that I hadn't listened to it for years.)

That song is so singalongable. It was playing in a cafe the other day while I was working and I couldn't resist the compulsion to lip-sync "WHY WOULD YOU LIE ABOUT HOW MUCH COAL YOU HAVE? WHY WOULD YOU LIE ABOUT SOMETHING DUMB LIKE THAT?"

I've been proofreading my daughter's college entry essays, talk about a headache! I'll be glad when this part of her journey is over.

5 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

I've been proofreading my daughter's college entry essays, talk about a headache! I'll be glad when this part of her journey this season of life is over.

FTFY

• 4 weeks later...

Sierra had a babymoon. Anybody know her due date? I still can't believe this is her sixth! She's about the same age as me and my husband and we don't have kids (yet).

Oh, and whatever happened to posting less on social media?

On 06/11/2017 at 4:46 AM, Rachel333 said:

I used this song to convince colleagues at my previous place of work to start using the Oxford comma. They had a policy against it. But I won that battle, and then I left.

I’m currently working on my new colleagues :D

FEDE2DC6-3274-41CE-904D-34E62C85B0E0.jpeg

1 hour ago, DillyDally said:

Sierra had a babymoon. Anybody know her due date? I still can't believe this is her sixth! She's about the same age as me and my husband and we don't have kids (yet).

I recall she initially said it was very early January, right around one of her son's birthdays if I'm not mistaken.

On another note, are babymoons a thing after you've already got 5 kids? I thought the whole point was one last holiday without kids!

1 hour ago, Kangaroo said:

are babymoons a thing after you've already got 5 kids? I thought the whole point was one last holiday without kids!

I wouldn't know. I'm due this month with our first and all we can afford is one last trip to Target without kids. :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, adidas said:

I used this song to convince colleagues at my previous place of work to start using the Oxford comma. They had a policy against it. But I won that battle, and then I left.

Well I’ll be damned.  I never understood the Oxford comma until this post.  Thank you!

According to Sierra, she's due at the beginning of January but she goes 2 1/2 weeks early so she expects to give birth around December 20th.

Source: she answered this live on Instagram last night, but I've also heard her say it before.

7 hours ago, DillyDally said:

As long as she uses Mark's iPhone and not her own, it doesn't count. :kitty-wink:

20 hours ago, adidas said:

YAAAAAS! I use this illustration to teach the Oxford comma. To adults, of course (I am an English/ESL tutor at a local community college). 

You will all be happy to know I just used the Oxford comma for the first time in my life after seeing this picture. 

Always learn something new on FJ. Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2017 at 5:16 AM, Kangaroo said:

I recall she initially said it was very early January, right around one of her son's birthdays if I'm not mistaken.

I think she's due January 6, because when she first communicated her due date, I thought "Darn! I share my due date with Sierra of the Strawberries!!!"

Sierra was live on Instagram again yesterday, saying that she expects to give birth probably next week.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived