IGNORED

Sierra - Strawberries, Duggars, Strawberries

samurai_sarah

15 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Oldest's eyes change color from green to gray to gold to brown. But back in the Twilight movie days, they were often that same pretty honey gold that the Cullens were. People always thought she had contacts, she hated it!!

Haha mine are like that. Depending on what colour I'm wearing and now makeup, it can change the colour they seem to be. Grey, green, brownish, sometimes a tinge of blue depending on the way the light hits. "Your eyes were green yesterday." "No they were greenish brown with a dark blue outer ring. Thank you for telling me." 

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

I hold a pen/pencil rather strangely with my right hand (I get ink all over the side of my pinky like a lefty would) and people say, "I didn't know you were left handed... Oh, wait."

I do this too! I never would have realized if people weren’t always pointing it out or saying “I didn’t know you were left handed!” til they realize I’m writing with my right hand. All I can say is “yeah....ha, ha....I don’t know why I do this...”

On subject of feet, daughter number 1 has size 10 feet and is clumsy on land.  She swims like a fish though, we say because she has flipper feet.

My girls are 20 months apart and are often mistaken for twins.  I think they look completely different, but I guess they don’t.

Eyes are very blue in my family, my brothers and all our children have deep blue eyes. Despite the fact we all married brown eyed people. :my_biggrin:

Ugh the smiling thing. I'll admit it; I'm vain and work pretty hard on my appearance. I don't emote/smile a lot generally. Recently a woman I was working with repeatedly told me to smile. Like every hour for two days. When she gathered her colleagues around demanded "oh but you're so pretty when you smile, go on, DO IT! SMILE!" I lost it. I critically scanned her face and then looked her right in the eye and calmly said "no thank you, I enjoy my youthful, wrinkle free face but you carry on." sarcastically smiled at her and walked off. :my_dodgy:

12 hours ago, Karma said:

Just on smiling, a funny thing happened today.  I took my 17 yo son up to the local college to finalise his enrolment for this year.  When he sat to have his student ID photo taken, they said “Do you want to smile?”  “No,” he said.  So he didn’t.  The woman was a little taken aback, but he has Aspergers and takes things quite literally. 

I'm not quite sure why, but this story just made my whole day. 

On 1/8/2018 at 10:45 AM, sta_sha said:

Are you really asking me about my sex life/ reproductive health in front of the sweet potatoes? I need some sort of smart ass response...

I think "Are you really asking about my sex life in front of the sweet potatoes" is the perfect smart ass response

I had braces for 4 years, 3 oral surgeries in middle/high school (NOT including wisdom teeth), and basically every orthodontic apparatus save head gear. I have a beautiful smile now thank you very much. When my family moved, the new (old man) dentist pointed out that the midline of my top teeth didn't line up with the midline of my bottom teeth. I was missing an adult tooth on the bottom so the braces moved the remaining teeth in. This is fine. 

This dentist wanted to BREAK MY JAW and have it wired shut for PURELY COSMETIC REASONS when I was 18. And then joked how patients didn't find it that bad as they lost weight on an all liquid diet. And not trying to come off as vain, but I'm certainly not the monster this dude implied I was. WTF people.  We did not become regular patients. 

Not exactly invasive questions, but when I worked in a part of China that didn't get a whole lot of foreigners, I got some doozies from my students and strangers:

You're from America? Do you know So-And-So Random Distant Relative Of Mine Who Lives in San Francisco? (I'm from the east coast)

Do you have a boyfriend?

Are you married? Why aren't you married? You're so old! (I was 22)

I thought Americans were fat. Why are you so skinny? (Note: I was also simultaneously fat by Chinese standards - my students straight up called me fat during a lesson on adjectives)

I thought Americans were blonde. Why is your hair dark?

Why are you friends with black people? <this was after my students saw a picture of me with a friend of mine who's Bangladeshi-American and has very dark skin. 

What are your parents' salaries? 

I chalked most of it up to curiosity and different cultural standards about privacy, but the marital/relationship status questions got old real fast. 

@nastyhobbitses

i got one of that when I was in LA 

I was in a small shop browsing and a guy started talking to me. Where are you from blabla..

I mentionned I was from Austria and his response was: Oh, my cousin has a friend in Austria, his name is Hans. Do you know him?

I told him my uncle's name is Hans... :56247996df987_Puppy!aww:

Another funny story. In Argentina, I was asked where I was from.

me: Austria

girl: oh, Australia, thats cool

me: no, Austria, not Australia

girl: oh, so, Germany...

me: no, Austria. It's pretty much in the center of Europe, borders to Germany, but is not Germany

girl: Yeah, but isn't Australia also in Europe? 

I was a bit worried about her then... :shakehead:

Mark works at a Sam's Club, yes? I hope for the sake of the babs he was not employed at one of the stores affected today-- hate for them to lose their only source of reliable income while housing the Houston family, and after the birth of a new little.

Mark works for a furniture store called Sam's, not affiliated with Sam's Club/Walmart/the Waltons, as far as I'm aware. Sierra has posted a photo of his boss and I believe he named the store after himself.

Ahhh, thank you for the clarification. I live in the land ruled by nothingness (the closest walmart is nearly two hours way)- so I wasn't sure if Sam Club was the same as Sam's furniture store. 

On 2018-01-09 at 5:15 AM, HarryPotterFan said:

5’2”, shoe size 9 and running shoe 10. 

No matter how many times I google it I never learn the inch system. It just doesn’t stick in my head. Fahrenheight is the same. 

I’m 1.70 with size 40 in shoes. I used to be a solid 39 but my feet got a bit bigger after pregnancy. 

On 2018-01-09 at 2:28 PM, Mayluka said:

A man once asked if my sister and I are twins. We are half-sisters, she's 9 years older than me, I have darker curly hair while she has straight blond hair, and I am 5 inches taller than her. I think I just stared at him for a few seconds, not sure if he was being serious.

My sister and I was asked that too. We do look alike but she is eight years younger then me so she was horrified.

@AstroNot You're not missing out on anything good. We drive extra just to avoid Walmart. I thought urban Walmarts would be less understaffed and crappy, but it turns out they're worse. 

On 1/9/2018 at 6:51 AM, Gillyweed said:That happens to me all the time! People often think I'm from Boston, and would ask me all the time when I was little (I spent a good 6 years in speech therapy). Unfortunately for me, they often just said "oh" instead of apologizing. That, paired with my brother meanly mimicking my impediment, has made me extremely self-conscious about my voice. I always get so embarrassed when I trip over my words. 

I also did speech therapy for years. I stopped in middle school because the speech therapist they had on staff imitated the way I talk and I felt like she was mocking me. She had a thing of lollipops on the table, and once I decided to see how many I could sneak without her saying anything. But I think my mom telling me to, “talk like Hermione” after the movies came out and having me repeat her lines was more helpful than anything else.

I’m going to end before either of you come up with another clever idea to get us killed. Or worse, EXPELLED!!

And now one of my brothers some how picked up bad speech habits the past couple years. Not impediment, since he tried to get speech therapy at the university where he worked but he was denied because he can speak clearly if he tries. He mumbles/talks so fast all of his words run together. I told him I’m going to start texting him ENUNCIATE at random times to remind him. 

Whenever I’m flustered my speech impediment comes back. I can’t handle public speaking. Horrible memories of presentations in school.

20 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

My sister and I was asked that too. We do look alike but she is eight years younger then me so she was horrified.

One of my coworkers is 10 yrs younger than me but has the same hair color/complexion and height.  People confuse us frequently.  She has never indicated that it bothers her but I take it as a compliment. 

My sister is 9 years older than me. Someone asked which of us was older. She's lived in England her whole life, English rose complexion. I live in a desert. It shows. :sad:

On 11.01.2018 at 7:46 PM, SeekingAdventure said:

@nastyhobbitses

i got one of that when I was in LA 

I was in a small shop browsing and a guy started talking to me. Where are you from blabla..

I mentionned I was from Austria and his response was: Oh, my cousin has a friend in Austria, his name is Hans. Do you know him?

I told him my uncle's name is Hans... :56247996df987_Puppy!aww:

Another funny story. In Argentina, I was asked where I was from.

me: Austria

girl: oh, Australia, thats cool

me: no, Austria, not Australia

girl: oh, so, Germany...

me: no, Austria. It's pretty much in the center of Europe, borders to Germany, but is not Germany

girl: Yeah, but isn't Australia also in Europe? 

I was a bit worried about her then... :shakehead:

All those kangaroos hopping around Vienna

On 1/11/2018 at 5:39 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

Not exactly invasive questions, but when I worked in a part of China that didn't get a whole lot of foreigners, I got some doozies from my students and strangers:

I chalked most of it up to curiosity and different cultural standards about privacy, but the marital/relationship status questions got old real fast. 

I had to chuckle because it reminded me of my time in Zimbabwe almost 10 years ago. I was doing some work there with another lawyer, we were both about 30 at the time. Anyway, the organization we were with arranged for us to go to a local village high school to speak to 16-year-old students about how we became lawyers, what we do, etc. And one kid, probably like 6'3 and very extroverted stood up during the Q&A period at the end and he said "how come you are already very successful lawyers but you are so young?" And so my friend said, oh, we may look young but trust me we are pretty old. And he goes "but your bodies are so fresh!"

We nearly pissed ourselves laughing later.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived