IGNORED

Sierra - Strawberries, Duggars, Strawberries

samurai_sarah

here is a picture off all six of her kids.  I was looking up her age I guess she turns 29 this year so a year younger then Anna but with one more kid. dang I hate to see what her quiver end up looking like

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My neice, same age as Sierra has 4 kids under 6, They are beautiful but a handful. I can't imagine another 2!!

On 25/03/2018 at 10:30 PM, Gobsmacked said:

My neice, same age as Sierra has 4 kids under 6, They are beautiful but a handful. I can't imagine another 2!!

she currently has six 7 and younger. her eldest doesn't turn 8 until July. between 5 and 6 though there is a little over two years hopefully the gaps keep getting bigger. 

4 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

here is a picture off all six of her kids.  I was looking up her age I guess she turns 29 this year so a year younger then Anna but with one more kid. dang I hate to see what her quiver end up looking like

I feel like this is kind of like expecting a thank you for cleaning up a mess when you were the one who made it in the first place. Like okay, great, but who said you had to drag the six kids that you decided to make to church every Sunday?

• 2 weeks later...

My best friends niece is early 30s and is currently pregnant with her 8th child. Her husband is early 50s, he has a couple from his previous marriage. Nothing religious, far from it, she just grew up in a very broken home and had a rough childhood, I think she just wants to have a huge family. Husband has a good job, but they still have trouble making ends meet. 

Just now, libgirl2 said:

My best friends niece is early 30s and is currently pregnant with her 8th child. Her husband is early 50s, he has a couple from his previous marriage. Nothing religious, far from it, she just grew up in a very broken home and had a rough childhood, I think she just wants to have a huge family. Husband has a good job, but they still have trouble making ends meet. 

wonder what his older kids feel about that. I know I wouldn't be pleased if my dad went out and married some young girl and popped out a bunch of kids. 

3 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

wonder what his older kids feel about that. I know I wouldn't be pleased if my dad went out and married some young girl and popped out a bunch of kids. 

I don't exactly know but I haven't heard anything to indicate its a problem. 

• 3 weeks later...

My BIL and his wife are just about to pop our their sixth, and they’re both 29. They’re definitely having teh baybiez for Jesus. She won’t stop until her uterus gives out. She also homeschools them all and their education is severely lacking. Makes me sad for the kids. Thankfully they live a 24 hour drive away so I never have to put up with all of the “you need to get married” bs.  No thanks. Curlyman and I like living in sin, thankyouverymuch. 

Some women--and I dont think a lot--do really, really well with large families, even if they don't have a pot to piss in.

Sierra just doesn't strike me as one of them. I see her as wanting to be more like Joanna Gaines, even if at a lower level--having some kind of artsy business that she can run while having a reasonable, not huge, family. But for whatever reason --time? lack of confidence? her husband?--she never developed the discipline to learn a real skill or run a serious business, dabbled in stupid crap without any idea of what she was doing, and, it seems to me although of course I don't know her, is just having all these kids by default because she's never been able to get it together to do anything else with herself.

Have you seen Sierras rant on instastories a few hours ago?
Obviously I don't agree with her on almost anything but she talked about body shaming and loving your own body and not caring what strangers think and I found myself thinking: "Yaaaas queen!" (which she probably wouldn't even get). Thought about recommending bodyposipanda to her but what's the point? She'll find out she's a feminist and be done with it.

Just wanted to share my weird "wow, I agree with Sierra" moment with you guys :-)

Sierra has moments where she drops the fundisms "and gets a little real." I thought she showed courage in disclosing her sexual abuse. She had every right not to. Especially in the toxic sludge of fundamentalism that she is surrounded by. 

I may have been shouting 'you go girl' at Sierra's rant about the guy in the plant aisle at Sam's Club.  

On 4/4/2018 at 2:01 AM, Ivycoveredtower said:

My dad remarried and had a kid when I was a teenager, and then divorced, remarried and had another kid when I was in my late twenties.

I feel mixed. On one hand it's nice to have two extra siblings-- more people to spend time with during Christmas or other celebrations.

On the other hand, it's a bit of a stab in the heart to see him doing a better job raising them. And when you're much older it's quite hard to have a role in their life, even if you make a concerted effort to. I've lived in different cities to my family for a decade now. Stepmothers can really get in the way of you trying to bond with your younger siblings (and your father) due to various issues of their own. 

One good thing is that their age difference isn't that huge, because she was towards the end of her childbearing years when they met, so I'm less creeped out than I would otherwise be. 

I saw her story. I can't believe there are people in this world who are so appallingly and disgustingly rude and obnoxious to strangers. Unbelievable. I'm sure just calmly walking away like they did was the right choice, but I would've had a really hard time not telling that guy to go fuck himself.

Christ on a cracker, not only do people tell Sierra she looks too old for her age now they're telling her she looks like she's pregnant with twins?! Poor girl. But she has one absolutely kick-ass attitude about it and all I can do is applaud her for it. And I loved the shade she threw at people thinking that looking like the Duchess of Cambridge after birth is the norm. You go Sierra! 

Can't say much else about this. My guess is that Sierra might be able to see the light and step away from being quiverfull. I have a tiny spark of hope left. She seems so very real in those very unexpected moments and I hope some of her genuineness rubs off on the Duggars, too. 

I’ve encountered it more than a few times and generally put it down to either:

1. Lack of filter - most of these comments are made in ‘real time’ without the benefit of time to think about the situation or their response. That’s not to say it’s ok, but rather that people are often under-educated and/or haven’t thought much, if at all, about the specifics of unfamiliar people. I would consider most in this group decent people who would feel bad if they learnt that their off-the-cuff comment was hurtful.

2. Othering - there is considerable overlap in the type of comment and its cause - comments may be blurted out when lack of familiarity and lack of time to think about the situation are factors. Unlike those in the previous category, though, this isn’t a learning opportunity because people in ‘other’ categories don’t really matter and they don’t deserve to be upset or anygry. The hashtag #HotPersonInAWheelchair is currently doing the rounds on Twitter because someone with a large following made a ‘joke’ about how awfully tragic it is to see a hot person in a wheelchair (this is a comment that I’ve heard personally, in one form or another, a lot). His prejudice was pointed out to him and he has resolutely refused to apologise. Jokes or off-hand comments, or even those intended as compliments, still do damage because they set the boundaries of what is normal and acceptable. 

I think Sierra was fine to just walk away. It shouldn’t be the responsibility of minorities to explain prejudice/aggressions/micro-aggressions or why something isn’t acceptable. 

I don’t know how this sort of thing (in general) is resolved. It’s made harder by those in power and with large platforms and large audiences othering people and denying that there’s any problem. It can’t be down to the victims, but it’s clear that the message isn’t going to come from on high, either by example or decree.

30 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Can't say much else about this. My guess is that Sierra might be able to see the light and step away from being quiverfull. I have a tiny spark of hope left. She seems so very real in those very unexpected moments and I hope some of her genuineness rubs off on the Duggars, too. 

I'd love that too--but she's talked in the past about how her husband's goal in life is to be a youth minister--as long as he's pining to be a minister, I fear that they are firmly on the quiverfull track.

Can someone quickly explain what she talked about? I don't follow her on instagram.

Appropos of nothing, maybe, this reminded me of the time I coworker of mine was approached in the grocery store by a man who kept trying to say something to her. He had very limited English and a thick South Asian accent and she kept asking him What? What? and trying to find out what he wanted/needed.

Turned out he needed her to know that she looks like Velma from Scooby Doo.

On 4/23/2018 at 1:59 PM, patsymae said:

Some women--and I dont think a lot--do really, really well with large families, even if they don't have a pot to piss in.

Sierra just doesn't strike me as one of them. I see her as wanting to be more like Joanna Gaines, even if at a lower level--having some kind of artsy business that she can run while having a reasonable, not huge, family. But for whatever reason --time? lack of confidence? her husband?--she never developed the discipline to learn a real skill or run a serious business, dabbled in stupid crap without any idea of what she was doing, and, it seems to me although of course I don't know her, is just having all these kids by default because she's never been able to get it together to do anything else with herself.

This sounds exactly like myself :my_cry: -except - I have a career to fall back on. That doesn't seem to make it any better. 

*Reaches for chilled wine in fridge.*

I just traveled thru the Tulsa OK airport on business--and apparently the Lipsense convention had just ended and every other woman in the airport was like Sierra.

So many tiaras. So many affirmational corporate feminism tshirts. So much garish makeup. So much pink. So many  cross necklaces. So much whiteness.

58 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I just traveled thru the Tulsa OK airport on business--and apparently the Lipsense convention had just ended and every other woman in the airport was like Sierra.

So many tiaras. So many affirmational corporate feminism tshirts. So much garish makeup. So much pink. So many  cross necklaces. So much whiteness.

But was there Plexus? 

On 1/6/2018 at 9:27 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

Because of conspiracy theories about red heads going extinct? https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/genetic/redhead-extinction.htm

Because women are looking for red haired sperm donors, and maybe people will be looking for eggs next? http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/redhaired-revival-for-wannabe-parents/news-story/d6eac3579215bc0e84a75116d056a553?nk=915f09b2384977b4396b035302303a3e-1515291820

I have a benign tumor on my shoulder that looks like a blemish/bruise/something strange. If anyone asks I plan on saying, “Oh, that’s my tumor.” And leave out the “benign” part.

Lol I have a pretty noticable lump (probably the size of half a baseball) on my back (benign....too close to my spine so they won't remove it) and people ask me all the time what that is....I tell them it's my 3rd boob. That shuts them up lol

So I know this is not the norm AT ALL, but I'm from a family with two sets of kids multiple years apart. My dad got married, had two kids and lived a whole life before he got divorced. Years later he met my mom (who was 25 years younger than him) got married, had two more kids and then died of cancer. Dad was 56 when I was born and I was the youngest. However, if there was ever any animosity between his first family and his second - we never saw it. I remember many weekends with my Tia Lela, her husband and my much old half sisters and my much old nieces and nephews. I say "Tia" because until she died, I had no idea she was my dad's ex-wife. I legit thought she was my aunt and her husband was Uncle Joe. I am still incredibly close to my older sisters who are 30+ years older than me. My grandma and my dad's ex-wife used to go on gambling trips together and my mom and dad were both at her side when ex-wife was in a coma. My mom talks about how she used to drive ex-wife to the bank and on errands because she didn't have a driver's license. Like I said, I know this is not the norm, but for us it was. I am so, so thankful that I got to grow up in that environment because I never knew that a divorce could be toxic until I was older and saw other friends going through it. Hell, my dad is buried next to ex-wife and my maternal grandparents are just to the left of them and my mom's plot (for when she goes, which will be never) is just below them. 

So yeah...just my two random cents. I know how lucky I am. My family is incredible.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived