IGNORED

Sierra - Strawberries, Duggars, Strawberries

samurai_sarah

I very often get comments about my hair too

Wow, your hair is really long! (really now.. I wouldn't have noticed)

How did you grow your hair that long? 

And my fav so far: you should really cut your hair. It must be irritating for guys during sex. 

The first two i get all the time. Depending on the person they get a somewhat snarky or somewhat nice answer. 

The last one I really was not prepared for. I mean WTF. My sex life is none of anyone's business and that's it. Seriously...

I also got: oh. You braided your hair for the Oktoberfest!!! Last fall. - no Dude it's a normal braid. Nothing fancy. (I'm a flight attendant and braiding is the easiest with the length of my hair. It's called uniform standards...)

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wikinggirl said:

I usually get "wow you have small feet!" Uhm, yes? They're not that small (5,5/6) but apparently people think they are too small for my size (5' 7") 

I’m 5 4 and my feet or a 9/9.5 and in running shoes a 10. 

What the actual fuck is wrong with people?! 

I got a "when is the baby due" about a month or two after my baby was born.  :(

My second child has a scar under his eye due to a surgery and gets asked about it All. The. Time.  When he was really little, grow ups would chuckle to him "did your brother hit you?"  I mean, what an awful thing to say to a little kid---and what if it was there because someone HAD hit him?!

7 hours ago, sta_sha said:

Six weeks in and I’ve  had more people than I care to ask if I had my twins naturally. Like ransoms in the grocery store. Are you really asking me about my sex life/ reproductive health in front of the sweet potatoes? I need some sort of smart ass response...

”I had one naturally but we really wanted twins so we had him cloned.”

43 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

What the actual fuck is wrong with people?! 

I got a "when is the baby due" about a month or two after my baby was born.  :(

I get that a lot. Miniway is almost four. I usually answer ”I’m not pregnant, I’m just fat.”

When I was 12, my mom had twins and a lot of people thought they were my kids. I always gave some smartass response to "are they yours?" like "Yes, they're my brother and sister," "Well, mine came out the antichrist so the hospital gave me these" and my personal favorite "We're Orkans who reverse age so these are my parents."

8 hours ago, sta_sha said:

Six weeks in and I’ve  had more people than I care to ask if I had my twins naturally. Like ransoms in the grocery store. Are you really asking me about my sex life/ reproductive health in front of the sweet potatoes? I need some sort of smart ass response...

“No, actually they’re robots.” Usually works.

Welcome to team twins! It’s a wild ride and you’ll love it.

I have really blue eyes that turn violet when sunlight hits them. I get so many people commenting ‘wow your eyes are so blue’ like shit no way I never noticed.

I had a girl argue with me one time as she insisted I must wear contacts because ‘no ones eyes are that blue and it’s impossible for eyes to be violet even in the sun’...she would not believe me and wanted to touch my eye to prove it, when I said no (because why would I let a stranger touch my eye???) she insisted that I must be lying and I’m definitely wearing contact lenses. She was a bitch

Oldest's eyes change color from green to gray to gold to brown. But back in the Twilight movie days, they were often that same pretty honey gold that the Cullens were. People always thought she had contacts, she hated it!!

Ooh, another fun one: Sometimes people will ask me where my “accent” is from, which always happens when I’m in the metro-area of my hometown. So I just tell them the truth, “I’m from the area, I just had a speech impediment growing up.” And then I watch them squirm. Their facial expressions are always hilarious as they fumble to apologize :pb_lol:

14 hours ago, Chocolatecheesecake said:

Hi! This is my first post, but I have been reading this page for a while, because I randomly got obsessed with the Duggars and Bates, even though I'm not even from the US. I hope I can share a few of my thoughts with you guys, because here nobody even knows who these families are. But anyways, about the current discussion here: I have very long, blonde, curly, voluminous hair and you would not believe how many questions random strangers ask me about it. How long does it take to wash it? How often do you wash it? What products do you use? Do you have extentions? How long did it take you to grow it this long? Is it dyed? Are the curls natural? How long do you take in the morning? And the worst question of all: Can I touch it? (NO, absolutely not!) But what is even worse than all of that is, that sometimes (I'd say about 100 times in my life) people have just TOUCHED MY HAIR WITHOUT ASKING! I think that is insanely rude.

Welcome to FJ!!

6 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I’m 5 4 and my feet or a 9/9.5 and in running shoes a 10. 

5’2”, shoe size 9 and running shoe 10. 

If I had a dime for every time someone commented on my resting bitch face I could afford the cosmetic surgery I apparently need to make my face more friendly and appealing.

Most often it is guys telling me to smile but most recently it was two tween/young teen girls.

Girl 1: "Don't take this the wrong way but you're pretty and you should smile more"
Me: *stares without smiling while trying to think of a something to say*
Coworker: *laughs*
Girl 1: *pointing at my coworker* "See, she's smiling! Go on, smile!"
Me: *stares without smiling*
Girl 2: (to Girl 1) "Uhh, I think you should leave her alone, let's go"

When people tell me to smile all I hear is "dance monkey, dance!" And I'm not going to be your dancing monkey. If you want me to smile, tell me a joke or give me a genuine complement. I promise I'm really not as mad/sad/tired as my face looks....at least not until someone mentions I look mad/sad/tired.

Not as much anymore but when I was younger I got a whole lot of accent questions (my accent ended up really being "she sounds white/she sounds proper"). As I gotten older I learned to tell people off with the whole "you can't sound like a color so shut up".

But a lot of these stories you guys have shared are absolutely horrible! Like people don't know how to act in public or know how to shut their mouths.

2 hours ago, GoddessOfVictory said:

If I had a dime for every time someone commented on my resting bitch face I could afford the cosmetic surgery I apparently need to make my face more friendly and appealing.

Ugh. So fucking rude and, frankly, sexist. I have quite literally never heard someone tell a man to smile more. Yet women hear it ALL. THE. TIME.

My "favorite" was when I was at the dentist a couple years ago. I have a crossbite that I could get fixed surgically if I wanted to, but (so far *knocks on wood*) there is no medical need for it. Since I have no interest in a Derick Dillard situation, I'd rather not get the surgery for purely cosmetic reasons. Usually people don't even notice the crossbite unless I point it out, so it's hardly disfiguring.

Anyway, so this new dental hygenist is cleaning my teeth, when she notices my crossbite. This leads her to give me a five-minute lecture about how I should absolutely get the surgery done, while I sit there with her hands and instruments in my mouth, unable to respond. Apparently, her friend had the surgery done and it turned out SO well. I should definitely get it done, since it would really soften my facial features and make me look much friendlier. Bitch, if you want me to look friendlier, shut your damn mouth and do your job!!!

8 hours ago, CancerBomb said:

When I was 12, my mom had twins and a lot of people thought they were my kids. I always gave some smartass response to "are they yours?" like "Yes, they're my brother and sister," "Well, mine came out the antichrist so the hospital gave me these" and my personal favorite "We're Orkans who reverse age so these are my parents."

My mom had twins when I was 10 and people often think they're mine too! I was probably about 12 the first time, which would be awfully young to be a parent of toddlers!

I get lots of comments and questions on my height and people can get pretty intrusive about it, but I always respond politely anyway and then later imagine the snarky responses I could have given. :pb_lol:

Another comment that drives me nuts: whenever I write anything, "OMG YOU'RE LEFT HANDED?!?!?!?!"

No, dipshit, we're in the mirror universe and you just think that this is my left hand. 

Just on smiling, a funny thing happened today.  I took my 17 yo son up to the local college to finalise his enrolment for this year.  When he sat to have his student ID photo taken, they said “Do you want to smile?”  “No,” he said.  So he didn’t.  The woman was a little taken aback, but he has Aspergers and takes things quite literally. 

A man once looked into the back seat of our car, saw my kids, and announced "Wow!  Twins!  Are they identical?"  I responded "No.  Actually, they're three years apart."  The idiot looked again and then asked "Are you sure?"

7 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

e Ooh, another fun one: Sometimes people will ask me where my “accent” is from, which always happens when I’m in the metro-area of my hometown. So I just tell them the truth, “I’m from the area, I just had a speech impediment growing up.” And then I watch them squirm. Their facial expressions are always hilarious as they fumble to apologize :pb_lol:

That happens to me all the time! People often think I'm from Boston, and would ask me all the time when I was little (I spent a good 6 years in speech therapy). Unfortunately for me, they often just said "oh" instead of apologizing. That, paired with my brother meanly mimicking my impediment, has made me extremely self-conscious about my voice. I always get so embarrassed when I trip over my words. 

29 minutes ago, Karma said:

Just on smiling, a funny thing happened today.  I took my 17 yo son up to the local college to finalise his enrolment for this year.  When he sat to have his student ID photo taken, they said “Do you want to smile?”  “No,” he said.  So he didn’t.  The woman was a little taken aback, but he has Aspergers and takes things quite literally. 

I have the opposite problem. I went to get my picture taken for my work visa (relocating abroad for work), and I found out that I was not allowed to smile in the photo. So I smized. 

I hold a pen/pencil rather strangely with my right hand (I get ink all over the side of my pinky like a lefty would) and people say, "I didn't know you were left handed... Oh, wait."

I always get asked if I have contacts too, not because my eye color is super cool or anything, but because I blink a lot. It's annoying. I can't help it. I just do. :pb_lol: 

A man once asked if my sister and I are twins. We are half-sisters, she's 9 years older than me, I have darker curly hair while she has straight blond hair, and I am 5 inches taller than her. I think I just stared at him for a few seconds, not sure if he was being serious.

I also get a lot of comments on my naturally thick, curly hair. People always ask me if it's natural, even when it's still wet. And the touching! I hate when people just reach out and touch my hair without asking. Like, this is a delicate balance, people. Don't mess with it.

2 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

That happens to me all the time! People often think I'm from Boston, and would ask me all the time when I was little (I spent a good 6 years in speech therapy). Unfortunately for me, they often just said "oh" instead of apologizing. That, paired with my brother meanly mimicking my impediment, has made me extremely self-conscious about my voice. I always get so embarrassed when I trip over my words. 

I can relate. I also spent a lot of time in speech therapy and am really self conscious about it. I think that may be one reason why I have always been so quiet. Growing up when I did speak it was usually to have people comment on how I talked. So it was easier to not say anything at all. 

2 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

I can relate. I also spent a lot of time in speech therapy and am really self conscious about it. I think that may be one reason why I have always been so quiet. Growing up when I did speak it was usually to have people comment on how I talked. So it was easier to not say anything at all. 

Add me to the speech impediment crowd. :) Mine was pretty bad when I was a kid and I definitely got the 'Boston accent'/'Why do you talk like a baby' comments. I got teased/bullied a lot in school, and it sucked. These days no one ever remarks on it. I'm not sure if it's because it's not noticeable (it has definitely gotten a lot milder over the years) or if adults are just too polite/don't care. I'm still self conscious about it, but I'm getting better. I kind of embrace it now. I like other people's speech impediments, so why not my own?

I tried speech therapy in grade school and hated it. The exercises she had me doing made it ten times worse. It turned my tongue thrust lisp into one of those s-becomes-th lisps and made me sound like I was talking with a mouth full of rocks. Maybe it would've gotten better if I'd just stuck with it, but I didn't have the patience to find out. I was like, "No thanks, I'll take my 'weird' voice and leave now." :pb_lol:

I did speech therapy for a few years in elementary school. I probably could have stopped after a year but I was in it for a few more.  I know people in my year who need speech therapy but didn't, one of them couldn't say the "th" sound and still  can't yet I was the one in speech.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived