IGNORED

Dillards 37: Tweeting like a Jackass

Destiny

Derdouche wouldn't know Christ if He stood in front of him. These fundies have turned Jesus into a milquetoast weenie rather than the revolutionary figure He was and is. 

I'll admit that I don't understand being transgender. However, if I remember my bible right there was /is a whole lot about loving other people as God loves me...to accept and love people even if you don't understand them or don't agree with them. I can't begin to fathom what it must be like to feel like you are inhabiting the wrong body. I just can't. It must be hell. 

Derdouche needs to STFU. My personal policy is to love and care for EVERYONE. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Jesus wasn't against judging.

no he wasn't. in fact i can add to your response.

! corinthians 5:12 11But now I am writing you not to associate with anyone who claims to be a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a verbal abuser, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. 12What business of mine is it to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked man from among you.”…

Christians were told to judge within the church not those who don't follow the faith. So Derick slamming Jazz is not Biblical at all.

Matt 7:3

2 For with the same judgment you pronounce, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. 3Why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but fail to notice the beam in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ while there is still a beam in your own eye?…

Now read :5 You hypocrite! First take the beam out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.…

He is telling them to examine themselves first.  when you take out your own hypocrisy and deal with it, then YOU WILL SEE CLEARLY TO REMOVE THE SPECK FROM YOUR BROTHERS EYE.

So scripture does not ban us from judging within. How can the church be what it is supposed to be if we don't? HOw can we be followers of Christ if we can't address each other and throw out the JOsh's and the Dericks, and the Robert Tiltons, the Bakers?

By all accounts Derick should be tossed out by his own for scamming and pilfering the church.

The difference is Jesus Christ did not come in condemnation of the people. He came with love and compassion and drew them in to a NON hostile backstabbing,  self righteous biggoted  church.  He loved and comforted them.

Matt 9:36 . 35 Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness. 36 When He saw the crowds, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.

Interestingly enough i picked up a book called A Brief History of Misogyny. Oddly enough, women flocked to the Christian church because there they were treated with kindness and  on level with the men. And I am currently reading another book, by Catherine Bushnell a pioneer for women's rights in china and india in the early  1900's + who were in the sex trade.  She was so disgusted by patriarchy in the scriptural translations she devoted her time to learning greek and hebrew and went back labourously translating to the original hebrew and greek.

I was recently looking up the Proverbs 31, passage in her book,  a "virtuous" wife......originally meant a masculine wife in the hebrew original text......so someone who was capable, with strength.....but the translators were careless and didn't like it so they put virtuous pertaining to her purity.......instead of masculine strength. 

@Fluffy14. That makes perfect sense.  Especially back in biblical times and really forever.  What good is a partner who plays weak?  It's about survival.  Christianity  ( as I see it) is about doing that with more kindness, less killing and starving.

@shock928.  My sentiments exactly!  Yes, yes, yes.

4 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

What good is a partner who plays weak?  It's about survival.

There is way more of course to Proverbs 31.....it was written by a mother to her king son..supposedly Solomon....not sure....on what to look for in a woman...so it goes into the strengths of the woman......which makes more sense when you think about what the picture of traits this woman was supposed to have......another thing.....it wasn't even about what a woman was to  attain to....just look for one with strength , endurance, and capableness to handle life. The mother was warning the son not to find a lazy , sleazy wife that would lead him astray.

@Fluffy14. Ahhhh, interesting.  TY.  I am familiar with the proverbs 31 woman.  I like that woman, I don't like what fundies have done to her.  

In that light, solid advice for a king from good ol' mom.

22 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I can't begin to fathom what it must be like to feel like you are inhabiting the wrong body. I just can't. It must be hell. 

That is what I liked about Jazz. She is young, naive, and precocious......blunt..she throws it all out there. And it really gives you such an honest look at the unbelievable struggle she has and others. IT breaks my heart to see her struggle with her own self, depression and the dumbass Dillard's of the world. 

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I am so much more enlightened, and my heart just goes out to those knowing just the little bit that Jazz has given us...HOW can you not be compassionate when you see the torment this kid puts up with?

Derrick, LGBTQ people kill themselves everyday, because they are bullied, tortured and un-supported. Do you really want to be a part of that?

You have the right to your own opinion on Jazz and her show, just like you have the right to practice your religion. Did Jazz personally attack you and your beliefs? No, then shut your pie hole. 

The classy way to handle your dissatisfaction with Jazz and TLC would be to announce "After careful consideration, I have decided to leave "Counting On" and sever my ties with the TLC network. I can no longer accept money from an organization the does not share my conservative views." 

The end. No need to name names.

Life is hard enough as it is. You don't need to make it harder for anyone else. 

I don't much like Jill, but I feel for her.  And I have to  somewhat disagree that she chose to marry Derick.  I think Jill was pushed towards derick.  I think she was a young woman, interested in men, and wanting to grow up, so I don't think it was a big push, but I believe that JB encouraged it, arranged it and painted it all in a great light for her.  Jill had no life experience from which to draw where she could really evaluate if this was a good match.  She has never had much agency in her life, and likely never will.   I always go back and forth on at what point are the kidults fully responsible for themselves and their choices.  For the Girls, I don't think that is going to happen for them until a few years out of the house.  Jessa, I believe is probably the most self-possessed, but I think Jeremy, Derick and probably  even Austin call the shots in their home.  JInger is wearing pants because Jeremy approved that.  We know from his sermon that if she wore something 'sexy', he would not allow that. 

Perhaps given time, the girls will start to see they have been sold a bunch of nonsense and they will start to assert themselves.  And, it is even possible that the husbands may be fine with this.  They may find themselves bored with a passive follower all the time, or they may genuinely love their wife enough that they will change for them.  Who knows.  I don't think it is likely, but I suppose it could happen.

I honestly think that either JB is annoyed with Derick about this, or he doesn't care.  He agrees with derick and he might think that Derick taking a stand is part of their ministry.  Hard to say.  Jim Bob seems like a decent 'business man" and so if he perceives the bottom line is at risk, he may be upset.  Again,  he let Michelle do the robocalls, He hasn't objected, that we know of, to Jeremy's strong anti-Catholic and his anti- marriage equality stuff.  And those are all pretty disgusting things as well.  So he may be just fine with this.   They are, as people say, laughing all the way to the bank.

@Fluffy14 So basically, it is a lot more complicated than just "don't judge." I don't like the way I worded things, but my point was more that there is enough in the Bible to support multiple interpretations. Again, I'm really glad there are Christians who interpret the Bible in a non-bigoted way!

I was a liberal Christian for a long time myself so I am aware of the less misogynistic interpretations of the Bible (it drives me nuts that patriarchal Christians won't recognize the fact that the Bible includes female apostles like Junia!) but there is a lot of misogyny in the Bible even if you can explain away some of it.

In some cases, Christianity was an improvement for women, absolutely. In other cases, women were treated much worse under Christianity than in their previous religion. I watched a documentary on Petra, for instance, that showed that women there used to be able to own property but their status decreased with the arrival of Christianity and then Islam.

None of the Duggars are annoyed with Derick. They're seeing the backlash to his tweets as the persecution they long for, which allows them to show the world how they've been mistreated by the MSM and the heathens. This is a feather in their cap--virtual martyrdom. 

I'm just surprised anyone is surprised by this. Derick is a fundamentalist. He's a clearly frustrated, bitter asshole with a chip on his shoulder who constantly puts his foot in his mouth. He encouraged people to vote for Trump. Of course he doesn't believe that gender is fluid. Of course he's going to tweet something inane and offensive. This definitely won't be the last time. The Duggars agree with him entirely. So do millions of other people, and millions more just don't care.

As for TLC, if they didn't cut ties with the Duggars after Joshgate 1 and 2, why would they now? I'm sure they're seeing nothing but double dollar signs. This is free publicity for two of their shows. TLC doesn't actually give a shit about this young woman or about any other transgender person, or any Duggar, Dillard, Seewald, or other individual on earth. All they care about is $$$$$.

I haven't caught up entirely so forgive me if this has already been said, but hasn't I Am Jazz been on TLC for like 4 years now? Why choose now to say something nasty? She's handling it very maturely (online at least). Sad when a teenage girl is more mature than an almost-30-year old. :/ I'm trans, and Derrick's comments are hateful, but I'm secure enough in my masculinity that "transgender is a myth" made me chuckle. I like the idea of being a mythical being, lol.

Also, all of you talking about your acceptance of your trans friends and family members made me smile. :)

23 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

None of the Duggars are annoyed with Derick. They're seeing the backlash to his tweets as the persecution they long for, which allows them to show the world how they've been mistreated by the MSM and the heathens. This is a feather in their cap--virtual martyrdom. 

I keep hearing JRod's video from last week when she said that if she wasn't being persecuted, she didn't feel as if she was living a Godly enough life. I suspect Derelict and the rest of the Duggar crew feel similarly. 

Just now, marmalade said:

I keep hearing JRod's video from last week when she said that if she wasn't being persecuted, she didn't feel as if she was living a Godly enough life. I suspect Derelict and the rest of the Duggar crew feel similarly. 

Can you imagine living this way? Feeling like you have to constantly be inflammatory and mean enough to draw heat in order to be living a "godly" life? 

Lord, can't these people ever just focus on themselves?

29 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

In other cases, women were treated much worse under Christianity than in their previous religion. I watched a documentary on Petra, for instance, that showed that women there used to be able to own property but their status decreased with the arrival of Christianity and then Islam.

I just started the chapter in the Misogyny book about the Catholic Church. IT was BAD for women. The part which was relatively good was around Jesus and Paul's time....at  least like you said it was better. But that other book....I think it will turn my world upside down.

11 minutes ago, Fluffy14 said:

I just started the chapter in the Misogyny book about the Catholic Church. IT was BAD for women. The part which was relatively good was around Jesus and Paul's time....at  least like you said it was better. But that other book....I think it will turn my world upside down.

It sounds interesting, I might check it out!

I know I was pretty shocked when I first learned that translators had changed the name of Junia to a masculine name because they didn't think women could be apostles. Evidence does seem to show that women were pretty active in the early church.

I can't wait for the day (I may be collecting social security at that point but I think it will happen) a Duggar offspring tweets in response something to the effect of "[So and so Duggar's] personal statement does not reflect the views of all Duggars." 

Some differing opinions from a family that's only getting larger would be nice.

51 minutes ago, shock928 said:

My number one belief is that we should love one another, and if one's life choices and beliefs aren't hurting others then what we should respond with is love.

This is also what I believe. I'm socially progressive and people like Derick are socially conservative. Fine. But the fundamental difference is that I believe everyone should be free to make decisions about how they want to live their lives and pursue their happiness, as long as they aren't hurting anyone else. To me, that's an expansive, inclusive, even loving perspective. People like Derek want to legislate their own beliefs, and prohibit others from having the freedom to express themselves the way they choose. That is restrictive, judgemental and breaks the Golden Rule. That's why the theocratic impulse of fundamentalist Christianity seems anti-democratic to me.

Personally, I think Christianity as written in the bible is a confusing mix of beautiful insights into love and compassion, but also normative prescriptions that are judgemental and even discriminatory. The Duggars definitely don't emphasize the first part. They seem to spend more of their time quoting Paul's letters and the Old Testament, not Jesus' words, which I think is because they emphasize legalism over the spirit of Jesus' words. 

I am so sick of hate. You can love people, or you can hate people. I can't pretend to know what it's like living as a transgender person. But what I can do is love them. Love even if you don't understand. 

I have 3 kids under 3 years old. And I hid the last few months of pregnancy with my third out of just not wanting to get hateful stares and rude comments and questions. Every time I go to the grocery store the inevitable stares and questions and scoffs and comments come at me and my kids. Most of the time they aren't acting out or disturbing anyone, but still the hate ensues. I got asked once if my youngest was an accident, I was told once that I should buy a TV, I've been asked if I'm done. I can't imagine the hate a transgender person goes through, but I can relate a tiny bit about how awful glares of judgement feels. And the God I believe in  doesn't approve. Maybe he isn't the same one  the Duggars believe in.

ill never forget the woman with her partner, a different race than myself, a different sexuality than myself telling me, "You have a beautiful family." This woman made such an impact on me without even knowing it, this gay black woman showed me more love than all the supposedly Christian old women scoffing at me. That is love, that is an example of not judging others. The Duggars could learn a few things from gay and transgender people about love.

5 minutes ago, PainfullyAware said:

Personally, I think Christianity as written in the bible is a confusing mix of beautiful insights into love and compassion, but also normative prescriptions that are judgemental and even discriminatory. The Duggars definitely don't emphasize the first part. They seem to spend more of their time quoting Paul's letters and the Old Testament, not Jesus' words, which I think is because they emphasize legalism over the spirit of Jesus' words. 

Well said!

The Duggars really can be kind, but only to people like them, and if your compassion doesn't extend to people who live and think very differently than you do then it's not very compassionate.

9 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

As to "we shouldn't trust our own heart and mind."  You mean, don't listen to your conscience? 

Maybe we can get D and Lori Alexander in a cage match and they can argue whether God gives everyone a sound mind or whether we shouldn't trust our own heart and mind.

I'd put my money on Lori, I think, just because D doesn't seem like he'd be strong enough to get past her bullying, I'm speak for the God of the Universe attitude (even if he is a man).

Make transphobic tweets and bully a 16 year old = Spreading Christianity

Angry reaction to said tweet = PERSECUTION! I am a martyr for G-d!

Just shut it, Dwreck.

7 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Yeah while I don't have much hope for TLC to do anything, on the small chance that they plan on any consequences, I wouldn't expect them to come out and say "Derick Dillard has been fired" less than 24 hours later. We'll see.

Agreed. Isn't it sad through that we (collective/humanity) have got to the point where the right and ethical thing to do is quite so unlikely and unusual. :(

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I'm just surprised anyone is surprised by this. Derick is a fundamentalist. He's a clearly frustrated, bitter asshole with a chip on his shoulder who constantly puts his foot in his mouth. He encouraged people to vote for Trump. Of course he doesn't believe that gender is fluid. Of course he's going to tweet something inane and offensive. This definitely won't be the last time. The Duggars agree with him entirely. So do millions of other people, and millions more just don't care.

I don't think anyone is surprised by his views at all. If he had said these things about Caitlyn Jenner I don't think it would be receiving that much attention. 

But Derick went after a child and more surprising, he attacked a  show on his own network. That's pretty brazen. 

What I don't understand is why now? The show has existed for a while and I assume he had heard about it before since I'm guessing he or someone in his extended family watches episodes of their own show on TLC.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived