IGNORED

Dillards 37: Tweeting like a Jackass

Destiny

7 hours ago, apiscue said:

This is a hate attack and it's not something the audience is kidding about.

I was wondering about that overnight: please forgive what may be an idiot question, but it's hard to keep up these days, esp with Mr Trump - over here, Derek's tweets would absolutely count as a hate attack & he could be jailed. Does it work like that in the US these days?

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

I was wondering about that overnight: please forgive what may be an idiot question, but it's hard to keep up these days, esp with Mr Trump - over here, Derek's tweets would absolutely count as a hate attack & he could be jailed. Does it work like that in the US these days?

Would it seriously be possible to jail someone for saying they don't agree with someone being transgender? Because that seems really extreme.

And no, there is no way someone would go to jail for this in the US, and as much as I disagree with Derick, I think he should be legally allowed to express his view.

He could only be jailed if he threatened physical violence. He stopped short of that thresshold. Then there would be no doubt that this is a case of cyber bullying. But Jazz knows the subtleties and sledgehammers (Derelict's posts fall in the latter category) far better than a hetero, cis female. 

2 hours ago, smallestneal said:

I like the idea of being a mythical being, lol.

Also, all of you talking about your acceptance of your trans friends and family members made me smile. :)

This! Only please don't be a unicorn, that's been done to death. How about something really cool, like a Griffon or something?

I have a very wonderful lady friend who finished transitioning a couple of years ago. There is only the one downside to our friendship & we laugh about it: she has way more beautiful legs than me - and they're longer than mine. I love her a lot. She's beautiful in and out.

30 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Would it seriously be possible to jail someone for saying they don't agree with someone being transgender? Because that seems really extreme.

And no, there is no way someone would go to jail for this in the US, and as much as I disagree with Derick, I think he should be legally allowed to express his view.

It would depend on the target themselves making the complaint that they feel victimised, but effectively, yes. With everything that's gone on in Europe of late, anti hate laws are being given a very hard line. There's also the context with this one - adult v child, very definitely hate focussed (as they have no crossing point IRL outside TLC), and it could be read as inciting others given the 'religious' angle.

Having and expressing a hateful belief, yes, unfortunately we must allow it if we prize free speech, but given the platform he used and the wording, if he was here, he'd likely at very least be interviewed.

1 minute ago, MadeItOut said:

This! Only please don't be a unicorn, that's been done to death. How about something really cool, like a Griffon or something?

I have a very wonderful lady friend who finished transitioning a couple of years ago. There is only the one downside to our friendship & we laugh about it: she has way more beautiful legs than me - and they're longer than mine. I love her a lot. She's beautiful in and out.

I'm definitely either a cryptid of some kind, like the mothman, or maybe a faun? Griffons are super cool though. 

I love your kind words about your friend! My best friend in the world is a trans woman and it made me think of her. :')

I have tried to give Derick the benefit of the doubt, theologically speaking. No more. I officially believe he is the worst of the bunch. Or those burning eyes are signalling a decline into mental illness....not sure which. This is hideous. She is a CHILD. I'm going to the TLC page next. It's long past time to pull the plug. Wonder how Jim Bob is going to feel about the collapse of the empire???

I've been inexplicably irritable all day today, and feel as though it may have something to do with Derelicte Dillturd (the troll who should shut his crooked facehole).

Seeing Jazz's response cheered me up. I've never watched her show, but she seems well spoken, courageous, and way classier than the Duggars could ever be.

I just wrote a long thought out reply and lost it... And owing to it being after 1am and feeling like my body is declaring war on me this one is going to be so much less good. I'm also going to apologize in advance for if my clumsiness in my wording offends someone, that is not at all my intent. 

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

I don't expect this to be a popular oppinion  (and it's just that my oppinion and I'm not a degreed law professional so it should be taken with a grain of salt.) But I have to agree with @Rachel333 

What Dwreck said was disgusting, hateful and a whole host of other unsavoury things but I'm not sure I would agree with it being considered illegal. 

Whether it was intentional or not he was careful to say that he doesn't think gender fluid exists, he's questioning it's existence. Which is a harmful, uneducated, bigoted, transphobic oppinion to have but he should have the right to it. 

It's disgusting that he used a minor as a target for that oppinion, It's professionally ill advised that he insults  his employer with it and it's stupid that he would risk his families livelihood for it but I would have a hard time wrapping my head around him being criminally charged for it. 

Please don't misunderstand thinking he has a right to his oppinion for support of his oppinion. I don't agree with or support or like what he said, I find it hurtful that he uses my Jesus as an excuse to cause pain to people (but hey I'm used to that.) 

As far as sympathy for Jill goes, I'm conflicted on her culpability especially since it's likely she has the same bigoted beliefs just doesn't voice them as publicly. However I am comfortable saying that I feel terrible that less than 1 month after what sounds like a traumatic (for her) birth she has to now deal with ramifications of  her husband dragging her and her family into a public shit show. Like her or not she has a lot on her plate right now and I feel bad that he felt the need to add more to it.

ETA 

How the heck do people keep up with this forum???? Being sick today I was able to skim it a handful of times and I still feel like I missed it. 

I think this tweet really shows how dumb Derick is. JB and Michelle share the same hateful views but have been keeping quiet for quite a while because they learned that it harmed the brand. Derick just doesn't get it, hence the tweet. 

I have to stick up for Jazz and the Jennings' here: While I'm not crazy about minors on reality TV I do believe that they're doing a good job monitoring Jazz and it seems that she's pretty mature and very passionate about her advocacy work. I just watched the latest episode and was stunned at the terminology she uses and how well spoken she is. I find what they do very important and admirable. They probably give hope to thousands of people in similar situations and challenge the views of millions worldwide. I simply refuse to judge them because I believe the positive impact that show has outweighs any negatives by far.

I believe that everyone has the right to think what they want with respect to others.
If Derick had claimed something based on his faith I could understand it (not share it).
I do not think he should go to jail (my god) but he should be disapproved for messing with a child in a dark and gratuitous way.
As reality star should know the consequences of his words, especially after everything that has happened to his family and especially when jazz is in a show of the same chanel.

It is an act depraved, stupid, sad and also ridiculous.

I don't know how to copy the link but agc web pages has a blind about Derrick as well.

Tend to take these blind items with a sack of salt though.

Jazz is much more mature than all the Duggar kidults! Also, her show is way more real and honest than Counting On will ever be. 

I'm a member of a local LGBTQ youth group, and have seen some people's transition journey towards their real gender. So every time someone says that trans isn't real, I almost get in Mama Bear mode, because it is real. The worst thing you can do is to force someone to stick to their assigned gender when it clearly doesn't fit. So fight me, Derick! ;) 

1 hour ago, Percy said:

I don't know how to copy the link but agc web pages has a blind about Derrick as well.

hah, indeed. Especially from that source, who has been accused of or discovered  straight up inventing things in the past, if I remember rightly.

TLC released a statement saying the network doesn't share Derick's views and that's bs because they wouldn't be giving the Duggars a show otherwise. I'm sure in a way TLC is loving this cause it's bringing attention to Counting On. Of course, we'll never hear about it on the show.

Scrolling through all of TLC's shows and specials that they have aired just cements how exploitative they are. Also, I noticed that "Honey Boo Boo: The Lost Episodes" was among their shows, but the Willis Family was nowhere to be found. 

1 hour ago, Percy said:

Anyone interested can google "agc web pages August 2017 blind items" and it will come up.

It sounds like a load of malarkey. Someone is mad about his tweet and making up ludicrous stories to lash out at Derick. 

From website:

Spoiler

45. ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 08/03 **#12**
I was waiting to write this later in the year after everyone was settled into their fall and winter routines. Why? Because I wanted everyone to see it and read it and know the kind of a-hole this hypocritical reality star is. His recent actions accelerated the need for this item. To call him a star is too much. He is in a family that collectively does a reality thing. He is a piece. A horrific piece. He loves to talk about how righteous he is and how his marriage is perfect and his family is perfect. Not so much. As homophobic as he is in public and what he says and writes, he is the first to find some guy he can exploit and have sex with. Always immigrants. Always. He tells them if they try to tell anyone, he will have them arrested. They don’t know the truth. He just preys on them. When someone did try and expose him, our reality star killed him. I don’t know if it was an accident or not. No one really knows the whole story except our subject and the dead person. What is known is that the dead person and our reality star were having sex. The wife of the reality star has no clue about the activities of her husband. She just does what he says and believes whatever he tells her. The sad thing is because of the circumstances surrounding the death and payoffs, nothing will ever happen to the reality star. Jill Duggar’s husband Derick Dillard (possible victim?: German Daniel Serrano Orellana)

Blind item seems pretty far fetched, the murder part in particular. Unless the guy threatened to go public or tell Jill. I suppose if one were to have someone murdered, Central America would be the place where you could hide it. What happens in Sintril America stays in Sintril America right?

2 minutes ago, JuicyDuggar said:

Central America would be the place where you could hide it

Now see - my feeble brain never even went there. I read the blind item and just laughed, but then you HAD to bring Sintrul Murrica into the equation. As MythBusters would say:  it's plausible. lol

While petty and mean, Derecks comments are not overtly hateful or threatening, and so nothing can be done about it. He didn't threaten Jazz, he only stated his opinion on transgender identity and thus did nothing illegal or punishment-worthy. TLC won't do anything. If anything this is great for them - free publicity for TWO of their shows.  (I'm not agreeing with Dereck. I think he's a poor excuse for a man and Christian, but I'm just stating the facts, unfortunately)

I don't have time to scroll everything cause we are at warp speed on this thread and rightfully so.  Is there an accepted copy/paste TLc email floating around that I can use?  I wanna send something but between work and moving this weekend I doubt I could construct a coherent message even with time.   This is just NOt ok though!  I don't normally send responses like that but he's a bully and I hate that shit.

1 hour ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Anyone interested can google "agc web pages August 2017 blind items" and it will come up.

It sounds like a load of malarkey. Someone is mad about his tweet and making up ludicrous stories to lash out at Derick. 

From website:

Hide contents

This smells of bull shit from afar. I know nothing about US law but who wrote this shit isn't risking to be sued for libel?

ETA this sort of shit makes me ragey. If people have proof of crimes they should run to the nearest leo place, if they have nothing they should shut the fuck up! Alleging sexual exploitation and murder is a fucking serious thing!

As for the blind item... wouldnt it require Dereck to be able to speak Spanish to elicit sex and to threaten someone. :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, BabyBottlePop said:

TLC released a statement saying the network doesn't share Derick's views and that's bs because they wouldn't be giving the Duggars a show otherwise.

That's not how TV networks or people work, at least not in this country. What he said was actually scientifically stupid. He was not considering that biology has made facts of this situation, which render his opinion moot. However, if you think of the breadth of TV shows and the number of people involved in producing them, and the reasons they are on the air, and how they are made not only for people who have one point of view or framework for living, you can't think that merely producing one based on the real lives of people equals believing the same things they believe about everything. If that were the case, we'd only ever see shows suited to whoever happened to be in charge of scheduling them at the time, and they would change with every breeze.

There are very many people in this country, and many of them like to watch crackpot families, while a sizeable number of them are crackpot families. Our networks, nearly all of them,  were never established with the high-mindedness of the original BBC service or even PBS. They mainly serve up advertising to 323 million diverse people, for good and for ill. Jazz sounds like a cool kid, but she's selling Quaker Oatmeal or whatever same as the Duggar girls.

Sorry about your small dick, Derick. Can't say I'm surprised. I don't think "missionaries" like you are real and in 2017, I think your show is as fake, boring and out-of-touch as it gets. Shame on TLC for ever giving this family a spotlight. 

16 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

Jazz sounds like a cool kid, but she's selling Quaker Oatmeal or whatever same as the Duggar girls.

This is basically what it all boils down to re: pulling the Duggars off the air, honestly. They are both entertainment shows. Neither of them are docu-series, or media/news, or any other area where transphobia would be an issue. I know a lot of people in here said Jazz did the show to spread awareness and education, which might have been her original intent, but when push comes to shove...they are reality shows. They are also two of TLCs cash cows, so Counting On will continue. 

Also, the way TLC sells their advertising, advertisers won't really pull out of this. They basically sell it in a package and TLC airs it in the time slots they have, so advertisers don't get to pick who their affiliations are with. 

2 minutes ago, jacduggar said:

Also, the way TLC sells their advertising, advertisers won't really pull out of this. They basically sell it in a package and TLC airs it in the time slots they have, so advertisers don't get to pick who their affiliations are with. 

The duggars have almost NO advertisers on their show.  Most have explicitly stated they will NOT air during the Duggar shit show.  I think this will chase away the few that remain.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived