IGNORED

Dillards 37: Tweeting like a Jackass

Destiny

36 minutes ago, TeamDefraudinSquad said:

The Duggars say they believe all sin is the same, but I still imagine murder is a "worse" sin to them kissing your girlfriend/boyfriend before marriage  would be (for example...) 

One would certainly hope so.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

TLC released a statement saying the network doesn't share Derick's views and that's bs because they wouldn't be giving the Duggars a show otherwise. I'm sure in a way TLC is loving this cause it's bringing attention to Counting On. Of course, we'll never hear about it on the show.

Scrolling through all of TLC's shows and specials that they have aired just cements how exploitative they are. Also, I noticed that "Honey Boo Boo: The Lost Episodes" was among their shows, but the Willis Family was nowhere to be found. 

A truthful TLC statement would be something along the lines of: "We are equal opportunity exploiters. Whether your kids are transgender, fundamentalist Christians, part of a set of 'tuplets, or beauty pageant contestants, we will televise their most private moments so the whole world can gawk at them. In fact, our dream reality TV family would be a set of transgender 'tuplets with fundamentalist Christian parents who enter them in beauty pageants while living on the wrong side of the tracks somewhere in rural Murica. All we ask is that there aren't any child molestors in the family. Really, that's ALL we ask!"

2 minutes ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

A truthful TLC statement would be something along the lines of: "We are equal opportunity exploiters. Whether your kids are transgender, fundamentalist Christians, part of a set of 'tuplets, or beauty pageant contestants, we will televise their most private moments so the whole world can gawk at them. In fact, our dream reality TV family would be a set of transgender 'tuplets with fundamentalist Christian parents who enter them in beauty pageants while living on the wrong side of the tracks somewhere in rural Murica. All we ask is that there aren't any child molestors in the family. Really, that's ALL we ask!"

Or at least that you cover your tracks well enough that the general public won't find out.

I'm loving Dericks new IG post. It's just a plate of ribs. He's baiting FJ. It's hysterical.

2 hours ago, Fluffy14 said:

I don't give Jill a pass. She is an adult. It comes to a point where you just have to stop acting like a kid. There are thousands and thousands of people in worse shoes than she is that have decided to grow up.  People feel sorry for her, they make excuses.....but this was the woman who constantly told people to be content. I am sure she has not changed her ways and still does the fundy all over her sisters. 

I don't give Jill a pass in general. But the woman literally gave birth only a few days ago and it appears there were complications. The last thing she needs right now is for her husband to do something stupid in public, but that's exactly what happened. So I'm willing to give her a break on this one incident. She shouldn't have to make a public apology/statement or do anything else except bond with her new baby, spend some time with Izzy, and try to get some rest.

5 minutes ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

All we ask is that there aren't any child molestors in the family. Really, that's ALL we ask!"

…And even if there are, no biggie! We know all about well placed flares!

The changes in both Derick and Jill over the last 3.5 years are striking- maybe neither of them can handle the intense pressures that a public life brings?  Within their culture/religion, Derick in charge of leading his family out of this uncomfortable pit of negativity. He needs to co-ordinate and communicate with Jill to formulate that plan, and together, they need to execute a plan that is the best interest of their family. Derick is an educated man who has lived and traveled alone. He is obviously able to handle life ITRW. 

Families bring responsibilities and ties that often times prevent people from doing exactly what they want at any given time. If DD wants to be a preacher on the mission field, there is a proper way about doing such. This includes getting educated in the field, putting in the time and effort learning what needs to done, including language, geography and cultural history. This is a long and arduous process. Begging for money and cutting to the front of the line is not part of that process.

Derick needs to man up, decide what he and Jill eventually want to do with their lives, and then get a job and housing to provide a stable foundation and appropriate role model for his sons. He needs to grow up and do what needs to be done right now; put his whims on hold for a bit.

13 minutes ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

So I'm willing to give her a break on this one incident

That's the problem. There is never just one instance. It's an ongoing thing. We just have to mummy up and deal with life. If that includes a newborn, a difficult birth,  an adultery  pig for a brother, a sink full of dishes.....a husband who tweets stupid things. I can think of worse.

WE all have to grow up in spite of what gets thrown our way....it's our choice. There are hundreds of stories online where people, women in particular rise above their upbringing and become amazing loving , kind, giving, mature individuals. And it is through situations like Jill's above where the growth happens the deepest. 

Doesn't Jeremy's ministry focus on "praying away the gay"? I think his church runs a pregnancy crisis center?  He worse than the others and could be causing real damage. Ben and Jessa used to post comments like Derick's, but that has changed. Ben has said a few "good" things and they mostly post family/baby photos.

The problem with Derick is that while everyone else is trying to hide their views, he's airing them on social media. More people know about his tweets than Jeremy's sermons. He is also bullying a child. That is crossing the line.  It also doesn't seem like the Derick we met three years ago. I know "old" Derick was bigoted etc. , but he would have tweeted a bible verse, we would roll our eyes, and the discussion would be over after one or two pages. As someone else said his tweet about Jazz is something the Seewalds would have tweeted.

Also, we expected more from Derick.  Ben continued his education and claims he's working, Jeremy and Austin support themselves.The problem with Derick is that he really wanted to be a Duggar. He wanted to grift using his fame. He wanted to quit his job and "preach". I just think he's gone too far with everything.

where does Derick's hate come from? at least JB was able to hide his a bit and Ben learned his lesson but Derick has no clue or SCA has made him nuts

*unpopular opinion alert*

Was DD's tweet...

ignorant? Yes, apparently there is such a thing as people who have legitimate and permanent struggles with their gender identity even though they did not choose to.

hypocrite? Yes, because there is presumably no more reality in 'counting on' than in any other reality show.

insensitive? Yes, he could have acknowledged the struggles some people feel over their identity.

stupid? Yes, throwing shade in public to your employer is not smart.

bad timing? Yes, with a new born and a recovering wife. 

childish? Yes, this is not about you being right and the rest of the world being stupid.

bullying? No, it was not personal but directed at the idea of transitioning and DD's perceived promotion of it.

hateful? No, he may hate trans people, but in his tweet he said nothing of his personal feelings about them.

transphobic? No, he did not imply fear of trans people in this tweet.

illegal? I certainly hope not! If saying stupid things about sensitive topics were illegal, half the US including the POTUS would be in jail. And many of us have said equally stupid things at some point in our lives.

Let's not give DD more persecution than he deserves.

59 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Are people here seriously speculating that Derick might have murdered someone? Really???

Maybe two or three people have said they could believe it - the majority who have commented on it said they think it's ridiculous.

19 hours ago, Georgiana said:

That means you are a compassionate human. You see traits you recognize in Jill either from yourself or others you love, and you sympathize. Because you understand, even though your lives are so different.

We might not be here if the Duggars and their ilk did the same. 

And I don't know where the line is, if there is even a hard line, or if it's going to be different for different people. But for me, a line was definitely crossed today. Because I can't view Jill as a child when there is an ACTUAL child involved. It just doesn't make sense to me to put her anywhere near the same position as Jazz. She's a married mother of two. That indicates 3 major adult choices she's made. 

I don't blame her, but I can't pity her. She had more agency in this than Jazz. Far more. 

I am compassionate also, doesn't mean I have to sympathize with a controlling narc. I sympathize with Jazz and all the others the Duggars/Dullards hurt with their hate and narrow minded version of Christianity.

If I was to sympathize with any of the adult Duggar siblings, it wouldn't be Jill. Jana? John David? Nah, I'll reserve my sympathy for the littles.

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm loving Dericks new IG post. It's just a plate of ribs. He's baiting FJ. It's hysterical.

I'm not on Instagram - is it really a new post, or that one from last weekend or last week?

3 minutes ago, scoutsadie said:

Maybe two or three people have said they could believe it - the majority who have commented on it said they think it's ridiculous.

Oh for sure, but I was pretty surprised that anyone would say it could be true.

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

Who cares what that fucking asshole eats? He is not as important as he thinks he is, I don't think anyone here really cares what he ingests.

5 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Who cares what that fucking asshole eats? He is not as important as he thinks he is, I don't think anyone here really cares what he ingests.

You'd certainly hope not, but over 11,000 people cared enough to like his ribs picture. :my_confused:

Are people here seriously speculating that Derick might have murdered someone? Really???

THIS!
Seriously. He’s a human person. He may be a gigantic bag of dicks, but speculating on him raping and murdering someone based on a blind item on a website that looks like a 90s geocities reject? I thought we were better than that. :/

Looking at his instagram just now I saw a comment where someone said she hopes he drops dead. Derick is a profoundly unpleasant person but wishing death on him is pretty extreme and only contributes to his and other fundies' persecution complex.

9 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Oh for sure, but I was pretty surprised that anyone would say it could be true.

It's highly unlikely. However, I've learned not to outright dismiss rumors about the duggars... even though they seem far fetched.

1 minute ago, Snarkle Motion said:

It's highly unlikely. However, I've learned not to outright dismiss rumors about the duggars... even though they seem far fetched.

I have given DD a wide berth. His dad died suddenly when DD was in college, his mom quickly remarried and then became very, very ill- that's a lot to handle on top of wedding a Duggar and impregnating her an hour later.  He had surgery, quit the job, the show was canceled d/t his wife and other's being molested by her brother, he shoved off shore with the family, including a NB in tow....damn lots of poor timing on Derick's part.

In fact, Derick's nickname should be "bad timing."

But although there are plenty of assholes who hurt and kill other people, I do doubt DD is one of them- I also doubt anyone on FJ really believes the Blind Item story. Jesus.

You know, for people who are all about strictly following the Bible, rules and laws, these folks and I mean none of them, seems to have a plan or know how to execute a life plan. Beyond yearly conceptions and births, what do these folks do on point? Where is the routine, law and order? Where is the discipline? 

It just seems like they merely exist. Where is the gumption? Strength? Fortitude? Drive?

It's very much a mañana attitude, except mañana never comes.

I am so unimpressed.

These are among the last people on Earth who have the skills to "train up" soldiers for Jesus.

These are among the last people on Earth who should attempt to tell other people how to live their lives.

4 hours ago, Jelly Roll said:

I do not understand the point of tossing out bible verses. They are old and ambiguous and any number of meanings can be assigned to them by the individual reader. He obviously has a point he's trying to make with each bible-related quote - just say it plain. He comes off as an erratic lunatic.

It's terrible logic which makes me kind of mad, because they're always pulled out of context—and he's clearly in torment, because certain people always start wailing publically from Psalms and the prophets when they are worried or feeling guilty or scared—but the inward search always turns into outward offense, and that is really, really not WJWD.

Well, not in so far as there is this whole other set of later teachings for him to follow as a Christian, almost entirely written to teach Christians how to behave and how to treat other Christians, and how not to treat the rest of the world outside the sect, and the bits Jesus is said to have told his followers are just what he's ignoring most. Metaphorically, he is totally a Pharisee, and blind to his own hubris.

56 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

bullying? No, it was not personal but directed at the idea of transitioning and DD's perceived promotion of it.

He could have chosen to speak about this more general terms, but instead he responded to a tweet about a specific show and a specific person; Jazz did not ask to be part of this thing. 

hateful? No, he may hate trans people, but in his tweet he said nothing of his personal feelings about them.

His personal feelings are that transgender people are a "myth" and "gender is not fluid; it's ordained by God". His personal feelings are that transgender people are against God. It's a view that, in a free country, he is entitled to hold. 

transphobic? No, he did not imply fear of trans people in this tweet.

The use the terms 'transphobia' or 'homophobia' do not just refer to fear. They also refer to prejudice, discrimination and bigotry. 

I just don't think he should go to jail for any of this, either! It was very silly of him to put up on social media, though.

That murder bit might be the most ridiculous blind item I've read on FJ. Agreed- we're better than encourage that sort of speculation.

I'm really uncomfortable with anyone thinking this is singularly Derrick... I'm sure everyone we snark on here think the same of trans people and worse. I'm not a big fan of the "not a REAL Christian" type of criticism I see here. I agree with the posters who've shown all sorts of evidence in the bible for perspectives like Derrick's. Much of Christianity outside of extreme fundamentalism is still oppressive toward trans rights, at least at much higher rates than they are in favor of concepts like quiverfull, headships, courtships, religious homeschool, etc. Yes, I get it that not all Christians and not all treatments of Christianity are like that, but in practice, it still seems like a pervasive issue in the religion and I sometimes wish liberal Christians would tackle it more head-on instead of acting like it's a non-issue.

Cat abuse though- Derrick might still be a unique sort of asshole on that one.

What bothers me most about his tweet is the misgendering. He claims to harbor no hate, yet he does something that's so painful to see and that he is in no way an authority on, and that does only serve the purpose of bullying. I'm completely against the idea of "converting" Jazz or any other person who doesn't associate with the gender they were assigned at birth, but I would think that if one were to try to do that, using correct pronouns would be an effective way to keep people open to one's (cruel, evil) ideas. Honey > vinegar.

In any case, this is certainly a misstep on Derrick's part and I reaaaaaally hope it'll financially hurt the Duggar brand as a whole. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived