IGNORED

Kansas City Kicker is a Real Douchecannon

47of74

I hope the Chiefs get rid of this guy.

Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker is getting attention for comments he made during a commencement address at Benedictine College last weekend in which he congratulated the women receiving degrees, but then said most were probably more excited to get married and have children.

The three-time Super Bowl champion also railed against President Joe Biden’s stance on abortion and his leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as Catholic leaders he said were “pushing dangerous gender ideologies onto the youth of America.”

Butker delivered his roughly 20-minute address Saturday at the Catholic private liberal arts school in Atchison, Kansas, which is located about 60 miles north of Kansas City.

The 28-year-old Butker took aim at Biden’s policies, including his response to COVID-19, which has killed nearly 1.2 million people in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

• Upvote 8

His name fits him. Hairy Buttker.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

The Chiefs won't care. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 9

I don't follow football, but he has helped his team win multiple Super Bowls if I read correctly earlier. I agree the Chiefs won't care. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Another vote for Chief's won't care. 

This was Benedictine College, a deeply trad Catholic college, and his remarks were apparently well received. I am sure there were some (many?) women in the audience annoyed and rightly offended since this was the celebration of the graduation of ALL students, female and male.

I read somewhere that he was at that Stronger Men conference in Springfield MO along with Sen Josh Hawley. The one where Mark Driscoll got the drama ball rolling.

So yeah. Butker is a shit stirrer.

• Upvote 9

And now it’s being reported that his own mother is a medical physicist. 🤣

• Upvote 7

I'll get beaten to death here for this, but this isn't Catholic teaching. 

• Upvote 6

26 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

I'll get beaten to death here for this, but this isn't Catholic teaching. 

Why would you be beaten to death for saying that? I think it's pretty well known that his speech was at a trad Catholic school, which means it likely is not standard Catholic teaching.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I saw this on ex-Catholic reddit. The poster there said they went to their brother's graduation. Among other things, Butker said something about "the tyranny of diversity, equity & inclusion" . The Chiefs have a diverse line-up. I think this will create problems.

It also seems like this is problem with/for the Catholic Church, if a room full of devout Catholics don't find this offensive. 

• Upvote 8

The NFL's response: "Harrison Butker gave a speech in his personal capacity," Jonathan Beane, the NFL's senior VP and chief diversity and inclusion officer told NPR on Thursday. "His views are not those of the NFL as an organization." per NPR

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

As of this afternoon there are 7 stories on the main page of the KC Star’s digital edition about Butker’s remark. Definitely causing a stir here. I had seen on social media recently  that he was the guest speaker at a fundraising banquet for a fake crisis pregnancy center, so I wasn’t too surprised by his recent remarks. I definitely agree that the Chiefs won’t do anything.

• Upvote 6

50 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I saw this on ex-Catholic reddit. The poster there said they went to their brother's graduation. Among other things, Butker said something about "the tyranny of diversity, equity & inclusion" . The Chiefs have a diverse line-up. I think this will create problems.

It also seems like this is problem with/for the Catholic Church, if a room full of devout Catholics don't find this offensive. 

I don't know if this is a place for run of the mill devout Catholics. My cousin and his wife went to Benedictine and they seem to be in a conservative Catholic cult  - Latin Mass only, Trump conspiratorists (believe masks caused more deaths than covid), home-schooling, baby factory marriage, rabid anti-abortion it's). So I don't know if it's just them or something in the water at Benedictine College.

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cults-r-us said:

I don't know if this is a place for run of the mill devout Catholics. My cousin and his wife went to Benedictine and they seem to be in a conservative Catholic cult  - Latin Mass only, Trump conspiratorists (believe masks caused more deaths than covid), home-schooling, baby factory marriage, rabid anti-abortion it's). So I don't know if it's just them or something in the water at Benedictine College.

Even if Benedictine College is unusual, it's still a problem for the Church that an educational institute is encouraging this kind of rhetoric/thinking in the name of Catholicism. 

• I Agree 5

There is a nearing schism within the Catholic Church right now between the trad/populist crowd and those who actually support the pope. Which is a basic tenant of Catholic teaching….

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

28 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Oh wow, she nailed it. Superb!

Yeah, he’s got some good times ahead with his coworkers. 😂

• Upvote 5

This guy is setting himself up for a post ball career in Republican politics.  He probably sees Mike Johnson and thinks he doesn’t go far enough.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

The nuns who founded the college and are not wives and mothers had a few things to say: 

Spoiler

IMG_0383.thumb.png.e9a5643444ddc7a19e860e2cf2d08199.png

Spoiler

IMG_0384.thumb.png.0f7b4e985a917377d4a3bcd35810af62.png

Spoiler

IMG_0385.thumb.png.1f89193fd4b9eb4a08976ee9277f2594.png

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 9
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)

Yeah the Hunt Family is just as douchey as their kicker.  Easy for them to say either they were born with silver spoons in their mouths or married into a wealthy family.

https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/1791467257534575018?t=yYJeTHV8VV4oic4RSsHnfg&s=19

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7DKl6oLLmG/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Edited by SPHASH
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

With all due respect to the nuns, that's not the spirit of the college. I read several comments from people who had been there and it aligns with most of what Butker said. 

The original poster on ex-Catholic Reddit said that the commencement opened with the President of the College saying:

celebrating how students’ rosary “conquered” the county health dept’s reasonable demand for students to quarantine for 2 weeks on arriving to school during COVID in 2020.

I don't know if the Nuns aren't currently involved, if their order is dying out, etc., but they don't seem to be that involved if they're unhappy with his remarks.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

With all due respect to the nuns, that's not the spirit of the college. I read several comments from people who had been there and it aligns with most of what Butker said. 

The original poster on ex-Catholic Reddit said that the commencement opened with the President of the College saying:

I don't know if the Nuns aren't currently involved, if their order is dying out, etc., but they don't seem to be that involved if they're unhappy with his remarks.

I don’t think they are.  But they nicely pointed out that this shit isn’t Catholic teaching and certainly not Dogma as half the internet is telling the world it is. 

Dogma has a very specific meaning in Catholicism. It’s reserved for the stuff in the creed and other core Christian teachings based on scripture and teachings of the church fathers. Cultural norms like who works or doesn’t are not matters of dogma 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

8 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

I don’t think they are.  But they nicely pointed out that this shit isn’t Catholic teaching and certainly not Dogma as half the internet is telling the world it is. 

Dogma has a very specific meaning in Catholicism. It’s reserved for the stuff in the creed and other core Christian teachings based on scripture and teachings of the church fathers. Cultural norms like who works or doesn’t are not matters of dogma 

No one said it was Dogma that I've seen. But it is consistent with a lot of people's experiences of what being Catholic is like. He certainly said some things like his tirade about IVF, which fit in with Catholic teachings. The Catholic Church puts a lot of emphasis on things like reproductive rights, which he touched on in his speech, and have an impact on women's ability to have careers outside the home. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/16/2024 at 1:55 PM, noseybutt said:

Why would you be beaten to death for saying that? I think it's pretty well known that his speech was at a trad Catholic school, which means it likely is not standard Catholic teaching.

See above. 

• Upvote 1