IGNORED

Chad and Erin Paine: Goats and Other Things that Spit

choralcrusader8613

6 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

After Michael, Erin is the one I always thought would stay in the cult. She's got the 'perfect' life. She wouldn't leave it.

It's "Anne" with an "e", Kelly! Because it looks so much nicer! Didn't you read the damn book?

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I accessed UP and have watched, for the 1st time, several of the Bateses' episodes. Yep, the first 3 kids seem to be parental favorites and Alyssa, once married, barely seems to tolerate her family. Everytiime Alyssa is filmed with her entire family she seems like she is just cringing and shuddering inside. I have an Alyssa personality, and I can only imagine what growing up in that home was like for her.

5 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I wonder has Erin read Anne of Green Gables or if it was just Kelly. I also have very many doubts that Kelly could point out PEI  Canada on a map.  That's the Atlantic Canadian in me. :P 

There, I fixed it for you!!

Kelly probably read it in real school, unlike the SOTDRT she had her kids attend. I would doubt Erin has read it.

I'm sure the pre-UP Bates watched the original Anne miniseries a zillion times for the #styleinspo. Those fierce frumpers and puffy bangs left their mark.

Anne_Cordial_web1.jpg

8 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

I'm sure the pre-UP Bates watched the original Anne miniseries a zillion times for the #styleinspo. Those fierce frumpers and puffy bangs left their mark.

scrolling down this thread I first thought that this was a picture of a really young Kelly Bates. Then I read your text. Now I'll get some more coffee.

9 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

The original Anne, the best Anne! :) Besides the books of course ;) 

scrolling down this thread I first thought that this was a picture of a really young Kelly Bates. Then I read your text. Now I'll get some more coffee.

I completely thought the same thing!!

My kid likes watching BUB. It gives us a good opportunity to discuss religion and oppression and cults.

On 2/5/2017 at 6:47 PM, HarleyQuinn said:

I've never read Anne of Green Gables, but I thought most fundie families didn't have that as a book that was okay to read? I may be misremembering. 

Maybe extreme fundies ban it, but I think lots of fundies love books about the ol' good times. It's the same reason Lawson sings Sinatra songs, no matter Sinatra's ungodly behaviour, it's a remembrance of "godlier" ages.

Maybe Kelly banned the book years ago, the same way she banned cartoons, but I can see younger Bates reading it now. Anyway, even in the frumpy times, Bates kids had non-religious books as Agatha Christie novels. Kelly was proud of it in the old blog, so who knows.

3 hours ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

Gilbert Blythe, be still my heart.

Gilbert Blythe is my fictional husband. :D 

13 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Maybe extreme fundies ban it, but I think lots of fundies love books about the ol' good times. It's the same reason Lawson sings Sinatra songs, no matter Sinatra's ungodly behaviour, it's a remembrance of "godlier" ages.

Exactly. I knew ATI fundies who adored Anne of Green Gables. It is rather like the obsession with all things Jane Austin that many fundies have, they willfully ignore the parts of the books that don't fit their belief system.

20 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

The original Anne, the best Anne! :) Besides the books of course ;) 

It really is! 

Gilbert Blythe! :romance-inlove: 

Erin, you're 26 that's not even close to growing old. That being said, Chad is sweet. lol

I looked at that picture for a second and thought that it was way too cheesy for my overworked, sarcastic self right now. Than my eyes got stuck on Chads ass and shoulders for some good moments. Now I have to keep on working. But I might come back later. For a minute or two.

26? With two kids under two? I always forget how young the women are when they get married in both the Bates and Duggar families.

1 hour ago, season of life said:

26? With two kids under two? I always forget how young the women are when they get married in both the Bates and Duggar families.

That just doesn't seem too young for two kids to me. 

(So many tooos in that sentence lol)

1 hour ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

That just doesn't seem too young for two kids to me. 

(So many tooos in that sentence lol)

But consider how many miscarriages Erin had, she would certainly have more than 2 kids. 

14 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

But consider how many miscarriages Erin had, she would certainly have more than 2 kids. 

She might be on her third, I guess, if not for her clotting disorder. I had my third at 27/28, so I guess it just doesn't seem that crazy to me. 

My oldest is almost an an adult and I have high school friends just having their first. A close friend who is 29 has five. There's a wide range that I consider "normal". 

2 minutes ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

She might be on her third, I guess, if not for her clotting disorder. I had my third at 27/28, so I guess it just doesn't seem that crazy to me. 

The average age is going up in general in most areas. So that's probably part of it. Women are putting off having children a lot of the time into their late 20s. Of course there will always be areas where that is not true at all. It depends on where you're from. 

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

The average age is going up in general in most areas. So that's probably part of it. Women are putting off having children a lot of the time into their late 20s. Of course there will always be areas where that is not true at all. It depends on where you're from. 

Also the circles you run in. 

5 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

My oldest is almost an an adult and I have high school friends just having their first. A close friend who is 29 has five. There's a wide range that I consider "normal". 

In my state, women usually wait till their late twenties to early thirties to start having kids, so perhaps that's she comes off as young to me.

58 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Alyssa is 22 with 2 kids. Yikes.

Whitney was as well. She turned 23 about three months after Kaci was born. I always forget just how young she is for some reason. She looks young, but I never remember she's in her early/mid-20s.

Going to a state school in the south really opened my eyes to how popular it is to get married/have kids younger than I'm used to I guess from being a Northerner. I have a few sorority sisters who got engaged end of junior/first semester of senior year and have kids only a few months later. Ditto to many acquaintances and peers as well so now I feel like I'm skewed in that sense.

Also blows my mind how Whit is only 3 weeks older than me and she has two children while I'm about to start graduate school.

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Whitney was as well. She turned 23 about three months after Kaci was born. I always forget just how young she is for some reason. She looks young, but I never remember she's in her early/mid-20s.

Same, I always think she's at least 25-26.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived