IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 19

samurai_sarah

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh I hate to be BEC but the feeding kids out of cans thing bugs the shit out of me. That is so fucking disgusting. I would cringe greatly at those old clips of the girls feeding babies cold peas out of a can and them gobbling it up. They had to have been hungry to eat that. That is so sick. I'm not a food snob at all but you couldn't pay me to eat cold peas out of a can. I can't imagine feeding that to me kids. I don't know what's going on with this tomatoe sauce, but it's frickin weird. 

Oh! OH! TANGENT!

Approximately less than half a percent of women died in cooking fires from the 1100s onward. Yep, you heard right. It wasn't in the top five causes of death, top ten- less than half a percent since the 1100s. Some woman whose name I've forgotten did a study on the subject, and was shocked by the results. Lots of museums still tell the all-woman-died-in-cooking-fires story, despite the fact that it's not remotely true. As someone who has cooked on a fire in long skirts, it's actually quite difficult to catch yourself on fire. The aprons are wool, which is flame-retardant, and draw the skirts tightly around the legs and out of the way. I just wanted to share- historical cooking is a passion of mine, as is turning people's expectations about history upside-down!

Anywho, in the interest of staying on topic, I have a question- is there any difference between KJV and ESV other than the thees and thous? And if not, what on earth does that have to do with how true it is- they mean the same thing, it's just a slightly older word. It can't change the meaning of the bible that much, right? 

The ESV is much newer, meaning it could draw on resources not available in Early Modern England. The KJV was also highly political; James VI explicitly wanted the KJV to conform to Anglican theology of the time.

In other words, the ESV is an objectively better translation.

Not to mention the sharp edges of tin cans. What if Jill/Derick aren't paying attention for one second and Izzy grabs the can? For FUCK'S SAKE, Duggars: You have dishes, use them!! (And feed your kids something that doesn't come straight from a can while you're at it.)

4 minutes ago, JillyO said:

Not to mention the sharp edges of tin cans. What if Jill/Derick aren't paying attention for one second and Izzy grabs the can? For FUCK'S SAKE, Duggars: You have dishes, use them!! (And feed your kids something that doesn't come straight from a can while you're at it.)

I lot of newer can openers don't leave the sharp edge anymore, I know mine doesn't, so that part might not be a concern at least!

Isn't he approaching two? Can't he feed himself/ But for God's sake, dont' let him near a can! He might tear his lip or his hand on jagged edges!

2 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Isn't he approaching two? Can't he feed himself/ But for God's sake, dont' let him near a can! He might tear his lip or his hand on jagged edges!

He's only about 18 months, but could totally feed himself if you put food out and he can use his hands. If it's a spaghetti type thing, I might feed it to him though...way less mess!!

2 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

Ugh I hate to be BEC but the feeding kids out of cans thing bugs the shit out of me. That is so fucking disgusting. I would cringe greatly at those old clips of the girls feeding babies cold peas out of a can and them gobbling it up. They had to have been hungry to eat that. That is so sick. I'm not a food snob at all but you couldn't pay me to eat cold peas out of a can. I can't imagine feeding that to me kids. I don't know what's going on with this tomatoe sauce, but it's frickin weird. 

That's not BEC, that's being completely logical. 

2 hours ago, alba said:

The ESV is much newer, meaning it could draw on resources not available in Early Modern England. The KJV was also highly political; James VI explicitly wanted the KJV to conform to Anglican theology of the time.

In other words, the ESV is an objectively better translation.

Based on what I've read on the Wartburg Watch about the ESV, it's being translated in such a way to support conservative evangelical positions, most controversially wifely submission. In particular, the part of Genesis where God lays down the punishments for eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge is translated in such a way to make it look like God demands that women must submit to their wives, which is not a literal translation of the passage in question (the translation philosophy of the ESV is supposed to be as literal as possible).

Based on what I've read on the Wartburg Watch about the ESV, it's being translated in such a way to support conservative evangelical positions, most controversially wifely submission. In particular, the part of Genesis where God lays down the punishments for eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge is translated in such a way to make it look like God demands that women must submit to their wives, which is not a literal translation of the passage in question (the translation philosophy of the ESV is supposed to be as literal as possible).

Oh, I didn't realise that; I thought it was just a bog-standard literal translation. Thanks for pointing that out.

Fwiw, literal translations of any text are rather rare, just because different languages are different and don't perfectly overlap. There's always this or that which doesn't have a good way to say in the second language and thus gets a bit of translator spin on it. The bible is a particularly varied example, with so many interpretations and so many historical perspectives.

22 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

And, you also need. To chime in? Methinks you are the rude one. But I see that often here as everywhere on the internet. Just a discussion, remember?

A discussion, by its very definition, is one where people are discussing something.  People, as in plural.  Yet you keep telling people not to participate in the discussion, when you don't like what they have to say about it, or about your attempts to shut people out of the discussion.  That is rude behavior.

You may want to step back, see the number of negatives you are getting for your comments, and rethink which of us is being rude in this situation.  Or not. 

13 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I've seen Sierra do the visible slip thing with slightly shorter dresses. I think the visible slip look is virtue signalling -- I MADE MY SKIRT LONGER, GUYS. I AM THE MOST MODEST. GAZE UPON MY MODESTY YE SLUTTY AND DESPAIR.

Why not just buy a dress that was long enough to suit your modesty standards in the first place, rather than having to add a slip underneath to give you the length you want?  That's what I don't get. 

31 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

A discussion, by its very definition, is one where people are discussing something.  People, as in plural.  Yet you keep telling people not to participate in the discussion, when you don't like what they have to say about it, or about your attempts to shut people out of the discussion.  That is rude behavior.

You may want to step back, see the number of negatives you are getting for your comments, and rethink which of us is being rude in this situation.  Or not. 

Why not just buy a dress that was long enough to suit your modesty standards in the first place, rather than having to add a slip underneath to give you the length you want?  That's what I don't get. 

This has descended into bullying. this was over yesterday. the. Person who quoted and criticized my post made no sense, as I was basically saying what she was and she jumped on me. 

Now having a drink is something people in general say to get people to calm down. My original post was innocuous. So what I see is that you CANNOT have a discussion. I was not saying anything in particular. I doo not engage in controversial discussions here because there are preferred members and then people like you who drudge things up a day later just too be mean. Read my original post. It was nothing in particular. It is much easier to raise children if you have a lot of family to help. I wish I'd had it. I had no idea what that person was carrying on about. No idea. 

You are now bullying another poster. Perhaps you need to regroup and try to be civil. I was not expressing anything in particular when I was quoted and bashed. IIt dooesn't matter but realize that you are bullying if you can't let go of something that happened yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

This has descended into bullying. this was over yesterday. the. Person who quoted and criticized my post made no sense, as I was basically saying what she was and she jumped on me. 

Now having a drink is something people in general say to get people to calm down. My original post was innocuous. So what I see is that you CANNOT have a discussion. I was not saying anything in particular. I doo not engage in controversial discussions here because there are preferred members and then people like you who drudge things up a day later just too be mean. Read my original post. It was nothing in particular. It is much easier to raise children if you have a lot of family to help. I wish I'd had it. I had no idea what that person was carrying on about. No idea. 

You are now bullying another poster. Perhaps you need to regroup and try to be civil. I was not expressing anything in particular when I was quoted and bashed. IIt dooesn't matter but realize that you are bullying if you can't let go of something that happened yesterday. 

I didn't dredge up anything.  I logged in this morning, saw I had several notifications, including a response from you from yesterday.  Usually, when someone accuses another of dredging up something - it's from quite awhile ago, not one day.  And I think you need to look up the definition of bullying.  It's not what you think it is.

Maybe she was just giving Izzy a taste from the can. Still weird, but she needs to throw in an explanation. If you're going to post on social media, then say what you're doing. Remember the swaddled screaming Izzy that nobody understood? And feeding the baby peas from a can? Not only were they cold, but the baby was lying down.

Just now, EmmieJ said:

I didn't dredge up anything.  I logged in this morning, saw I had several notifications, including a response from you from yesterday.  Usually, when someone accuses another of dredging up something - it's from quite awhile ago, not one day.  And I think you need to look up the definition of bullying.  It's not what you think it is.

Since you are an authority what can I say. Like I said, over yesterday. But you want to continue to harass me, and that is what it is. I'm sure it is fine for you to do that, somehow. Leave me alone now, if you please. Cease and desist. 

8 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Not trying to drag out whatever this is or get involved, but I'd be careful with telling people to "go have a drink". Some could find it offensive. We don't know everyone's histories and you could have said that to someone who has or had a drinking problem or someone who has a family member with a drinking problem. I may be more sensitive to those types of comments because I do fall into that category of having several family members with drinking problems, but I would just be careful with using those types of phrases. It seems harmless to you but it could be a trigger to someone else. 

Ducking out of the cross hairs now. 

I find it weird to 1. Eat tomato sauce, and 2. Eat it from a can.  But a funny on the cold peas....I used to feed dd frozen peas.  She LOVED them.  A family member was around one day and had a COW that I didn't first cook the peas.  Like I was abusing my kid, hahaha.  But all the mmmmm's in the background and the cute kiddo shoving them in hand over fist made the relative realize all was ok.  

3 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

Not trying to drag out whatever this is or get involved, but I'd be careful with telling people to "go have a drink". Some could find it offensive. We don't know everyone's histories and you could have said that to someone who has or had a drinking problem or someone who has a family member with a drinking problem. I may be more sensitive to those types of comments because I do fall into that category of having several family members with drinking problems, but I would just be careful with using those types of phrases. It seems harmless to you but it could be a trigger to someone else. 

Ducking out of the cross hairs now. 

I'm sure you enjoyed chiming in. I have a boatload of alcoholics in my family. Now, I will ask you also too cease and desist. You enjoy being unpleasant that is clear. I will work out the ignore thingie for both of you. I guess you need a safe space or something. 

2 minutes ago, BoPeep said:

I find it weird to 1. Eat tomato sauce, and 2. Eat it from a can.  But a funny on the cold peas....I used to feed dd frozen peas.  She LOVED them.  A family member was around one day and had a COW that I didn't first cook the peas.  Like I was abusing my kid, hahaha.  But all the mmmmm's in the background and the cute kiddo shoving them in hand over fist made the relative realize all was ok.  

I'm down with whatever gets a kid to (safely) consume some greens! Plus frozen peas probably feel great on teething gums! But tomato sauce by itself is weird. Maybe she thought it was the same as tomato soup lol.

I fed my kids canned pumpkin.  But I put it in a bowl first.  It is my #1 recommended food to give to babies/kids with constipation.....it WILL move the bowels!  My dd is a tween now....and she still loves to eat canned pumpkin!  

Hopefully she was just giving him a taste...if not that is super weird. If the kid likes tomatoes great but then give him fresh. 

I can't stand peas and canned are the worst. Just thinking about them makes me gag a little. 

I'm sure you enjoyed chiming in. I have a boatload of alcoholics in my family. Now, I will ask you also too cease and desist. You enjoy being unpleasant that is clear. I will work out the ignore thingie for both of you. I guess you need a safe space or something. 

She was perfectly rational and reasonable. This is FJ. We will disagree. It's how we disagree that shows who we are, and this reply is definitely not the best of FJ in my opinion. Respectful disagreement where we argue our points with words, not sarcasm should be the goal.

Just now, BoPeep said:

I fed my kids canned pumpkin.  But I put it in a bowl first.  It is my #1 recommended food to give to babies/kids with constipation.....it WILL move the bowels!  My dd is a tween now....and she still loves to eat canned pumpkin!  

see you are brilliant - you put it in a bowl - not spoon out of a tin 

I think Jill doesn't care or doesn't know any better 

1 minute ago, Destiny said:

She was perfectly rational and reasonable. This is FJ. We will disagree. It's how we disagree that shows who we are, and this is definitely not the best of FJ. Respectful disagreement where we argue our points with words, not sarcasm should be the goal.

I am not being sarcastic. I find it unusual that these members wish to carry on at me a day later. I want them to cease and desist. I find it excessive. 

I cannot figure out how to put people on ignore if someone could let me know as I went to their "page". Don't see it. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived