IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 19

samurai_sarah

19 hours ago, missegeno said:

Wow, I can't imagine this in the us. Where did you go to school?

Germany. But I think in other European countries it is the same. (Like Austria or Switzerland, I'm pretty sure about these two.)

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember correctly, any long term sub for extended absences like maternity leave was usually a real teacher certified to teach in the class. However if it was just subbing for an occasional sick day I think it could be anyone with a college degree.

Most of the time we were given a worksheet or watched a movie (sometimes educational sometimes not - homeward bound and fern gully were the go to we must have watched several times. Guess they were the only ones on vhs). if we finished the movie and didn't have a new one to start we'd sometimes be told to just read quietly.

Most of the time it was just babysitting. I do remember in fourth or fifth grade a sub for our English class was actually a student from an upper grades mother. And the assignment for the day was for her to read us a story aloud called "Thunder Butte." I think it was referring to some butte in the south west, maybe it was also part of our Native American unit (Navajo I think, this was legit almost 2 decades ago so I can't recall). Our class convinced her it was pronounced like "butt." So she kept reading "thunder butt" over and over and couldn't understand why we were cracking up. I definitely recall her needing to get the principle to get us under control. 

On 10/2/2016 at 11:58 PM, feministxtian said:

But yeah, Jesus isn't allowed in the classroom....

But you can bring him along until someone complains and is someone in Arkansas gonna complain?

On 10/4/2016 at 5:48 AM, MiddleAgedLady said:

Derick probably only brought home $60 for the day. A sub in Little Rock makes $9.81 an hour.

And today in super depressing news... Totally happy that the people educating our children make less than the people making our french fries. Though I will say, I never once had a sub that did anything more than throw on a video and try to keep the class from revolting. Maybe longer term subs do actual teaching, but mine never did. They didn't even try to.

On 10/4/2016 at 4:05 PM, Buzzard said:

What is all that crap on the floor? They have a toddler!

Maybe he's not allowed in their room? We didn't take down the baby gate blocking the kids from the bathroom and our bedroom (end of hallway, blocked off together with 1 gate) until they were like 2.5 years old and could be somewhat trusted.

On 10/4/2016 at 4:28 PM, freshlemonade said:

I don't envy Derick the task of "kindly" proofreading Jill's paper.

I imagine it goes something like, "I see you've used the word "totally"  ten different times. Maybe we can substitute some other words." 

I'm imagining Jill finding the thesaurus function on MS Word and it going a little like Joey on Friends: 

Monica: It doesn't make any sense.
Joey: Of course it does. It's smart! I used a thesaurus!
Chandler: On every word?
Joey: Yep.
Monica: All right, what was this sentence, originally?
Joey: Oh. "They're warm, nice people with big hearts."
Chandler: And that became, "They're humid, pre-possessing homo sapiens with full-sized aortic pumps?"

On 10/2/2016 at 11:58 PM, feministxtian said:

Since he already has an undergrad degree, he could easily pick up the Master's in education. Many school systems have something called "transition to teaching" where if you have an undergrad degree, you take classes either nights or weekends to get the master's and teach at the same time. In some school systems, long term subs have to have some sort of degree. 

But yeah, Jesus isn't allowed in the classroom....

Looks like they do participate in the non-traditional path to teaching

http://www.arkansased.gov/divisions/human-resources-educator-effectiveness-and-licensure/office-of-educator-effectiveness/recruitment-and-retention/non-traditional-routes-to-licensure

In Iowa they are desperate for subs, so they have a 3 day class anyone with a Bachelor's can take, to get a crash course in controlling asshole children following teacher lesson plans and stuff like that.  You take that class do a 4 hour class room study and a background check, and then you go to a school and you can sub.  I did all of it and chickened out after watching video my HS sophomore took of the little bastards at her school. I'm like I'll get fried my 1st day because I will call someone a stupid fucker.  The pay was OK, I could have made $120 a day  in a pretty ritzy school district. 

I seem to recall from 20 and Counting that Michelle was a sub in the early days of their marriage. As long as it's Derick, and not Jill, subbing I don't see why they would consider it a big deal.

I thought she was a substitute Sunday school teacher. At least she had a diploma from a real hiigh school which is more than she allowed her kids.

16 hours ago, Gobbles said:

Germany. But I think in other European countries it is the same. (Like Austria or Switzerland, I'm pretty sure about these two.)

Also in Italy usually subs mean vacation if is in the last our, if is in the other it means that you could 'study' if you are able to concetrate when everybody else do what they want. Sometimes we have a theacher of anaother class, usually in the HS whe was left alone with just an adult who come sometimes to be sure that everybody is still in the class and the room is still standing

If Derek continues to sub and/or is actually applying to accounting positions--how long do you think he will continue to rock the man-bun?  

For the record, I am pro Derek man-bun. I love that he's doing something that no Duggar male still living at home would be allowed to do.

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

If Derek continues to sub and/or is actually applying to accounting positions--how long do you think he will continue to rock the man-bun?  

For the record, I am pro Derek man-bun. I love that he's doing something that no Duggar male still living at home would be allowed to do.

If he keeps subbing then I think he'll keep it. If he returns to Accounting then he may get rid of it. I think it probably depends on where he would be applying though - some offices would be more conservative than others and a man bun likely wouldn't fly there.

16 minutes ago, eleanora3 said:

The Dillards' latest blog post reads like damage control

Still better than anything Trump has come out with lately. He should hire Derick! :pb_lol:

3 hours ago, eleanora3 said:

The Dillards' latest blog post reads like damage control

I especially liked the part where he talked about the "spiritually dead" , you know , Catholics! in Central America. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

The spiritually dead in Central America? Don't feel you need to keep your judgmental and superior attitude to yourself or anything, Derick...

"The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector.'" (Luke 18:11) 

22 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Still better than anything Trump has come out with lately. He should hire Derick! :pb_lol:

Lord knows he needs the work.

Also, this is totally because Derek/Derick has a certain pop culture association for me, but maybe Derick could help Trump write a book: How to Offend Women in Five Syllables Or Less.

Does anyone know if Jill makes actual money as a midwife or does she help deliver babies without receiving any payment? Sorry if this was discussed already, I was just thinking about how none of the Duggar daughters really work so far.

4 minutes ago, season of life said:

Does anyone know if Jill makes actual money as a midwife or does she help deliver babies without receiving any payment? Sorry if this was discussed already, I was just thinking about how none of the Duggar daughters really work so far.

I don't think Jill has ever shared that information, so we don't know.  

As for Derrick, why would he be subbing if he has an accounting degree? That doesn't make sense to me. Surely accounting is more lucrative than subbing. 

2 minutes ago, RabbitKM said:

I don't think Jill has ever shared that information, so we don't know.  

As for Derrick, why would he be subbing if he has an accounting degree? That doesn't make sense to me. Surely accounting is more lucrative than subbing. 

Subbing may not be a permanent job. He could always return to accounting, put his education to use. I've always been annoyed at Derick for living off donations when he could have stuck with his Walmart job. I hope he decides to return to accounting.

8 minutes ago, season of life said:

Subbing may not be a permanent job. He could always return to accounting, put his education to use. I've always been annoyed at Derick for living off donations when he could have stuck with his Walmart job. I hope he decides to return to accounting.

Yeah if it's just something to do in-between jobs then that makes sense.  I just hope he is not giving up his accounting career.

Anyone know what the job market is like for accountants right now? 

1 hour ago, RabbitKM said:

Maybe when he tried out a career in the field, he decided he didn't actually like accounting. I can sympathize with that if so, as long as he's supporting his family with something else.

Is it sad that the only thing I got out of the blog post is that they are having a hard time parenting Israel? It seems that way to me saying how they can't get anything done unless he is asleep and everything has to be carefully strategized. Even on Counting On, they seem to have a hard time with him. Maybe this explains why Jill is not pregnant again? I have a feeling Derrick, thought having 19 kids would be fun but didn't understand the entire picture, and only having 1 sibling. 

Also, I always thought Jill would be the one to pop em out and be very motherly and Jessa would be super strict and have frequent "headaches" mid cycle. Color me surprised. 

40 minutes ago, crazysnark said:

Is it sad that the only thing I got out of the blog post is that they are having a hard time parenting Israel? It seems that way to me saying how they can't get anything done unless he is asleep and everything has to be carefully strategized. Even on Counting On, they seem to have a hard time with him. Maybe this explains why Jill is not pregnant again? I have a feeling Derrick, thought having 19 kids would be fun but didn't understand the entire picture, and only having 1 sibling. 

Also, I always thought Jill would be the one to pop em out and be very motherly and Jessa would be super strict and have frequent "headaches" mid cycle. Color me surprised. 

To be fair, I think Jessa lucked out a bit. Spurge seems like a super chill baby so far, and definitely more laid-back than Israel. Not to mention Izzy is older and in that full blown "into everything" stage, while Spurge isn't walking yet. All in all though, I think it's really cool how Jessa seems to have really taken to motherhood.

On 10/6/2016 at 11:35 PM, Bad Wolf said:

I thought she was a substitute Sunday school teacher. At least she had a diploma from a real hiigh school which is more than she allowed her kids.

I double checked (just in case because I have a second hand copy of the book. Buy used and save the difference don't give the the Duggars money!). They're not specific, but I would think it refers to public or private school, not Sunday school (since that's mentioned further on that page). From page 29: "Michelle did some substitute teaching, led a Girl Scout troop, and was hired part-time to give out pizza samples at area stores."

Further down it talks about how they both taught Sunday school. 

9 hours ago, season of life said:

Jill is not officially a certified midwife. She never took the final exams to become a real CPM. She just completed the educational requirements. We've all checked; she is not on Arkansas' list of CPMs at this time (I checked the list as recently as last week). We will just have to keep checking the list to see if she's been subsequently added. But as of now, no. She cannot legally receive compensation for her services as a midwife. 

As for Derick, I imagine the subbing was for show (and THE show). He posted a picture of them camping with Izzy in the middle of last week (probably also for the show). So, if he's looking for work outside of TLC, he doesn't seem very serious about it. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived