IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 19

samurai_sarah

2 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

Giving canned veggies is fine, not my favorite but cool. However if you were giving your kid canned peas wouldn't you a) cook/heat them up somehow b. Put it in a bowl or on highchair for finger feeding and c) serve it as part of a meal or something not just straight canned peas cold straight out of the can for a snack or something. It's just so so weird to me. 

And how the baby would be laying down with a gigantic spoon being shoved down their throat full of cold canned peas. Oh how that image haunts me

I've at times been on the food bank diet so canned food vs. no food is a no brainer for me. But I'm also old enough to remember the botulism deaths from canned Bon Vivant vichyssoise (sp bad I know) so I wouldn't feed anyone anything out of a can without heating it first. 

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what is frustrating here is that Jill has more than enough time to cook a proper meal for Izzy. 

She also has plenty of time to google healthy recipes if she so chooses and time to shop for ingredients.

At the end of the day, despite marriage, she is a Duggar and Duggars are lazy. If there is an easy way out, they'll take it; regardless if it may put others in harms way.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with canned food- personally, I prefer fresh, local what have you because I'm wicked crunchy- it's the strange way in which the Duggars consume it that weirds me out. Just... tomato sauce? Not soup? Not tomatoes? Just sauce? Out of the can? Not hot, not on anything? I adore pasta in all its forms, and so sauce without pasta is sacrilege to me. And no one should eat lying down, that's just asking for trouble.

That being said, I will still crack open a can of Chef Boyardee and a twinkie occasionally, and love every minute of it. The nostalgia content is way more important than the sodium content :my_biggrin:

6 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Based on what I've read on the Wartburg Watch about the ESV, it's being translated in such a way to support conservative evangelical positions, most controversially wifely submission. In particular, the part of Genesis where God lays down the punishments for eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge is translated in such a way to make it look like God demands that women must submit to their wives, which is not a literal translation of the passage in question (the translation philosophy of the ESV is supposed to be as literal as possible).

Sorry to point out a  mistake (I make many myself), but I thought this one was rather funny. LGBT version of the Bible?

8 hours ago, karen77 said:

I lot of newer can openers don't leave the sharp edge anymore, I know mine doesn't, so that part might not be a concern at least!

A lot of newer can openers do eliminate sharp edges and remover the entire top of the can, but you can see sharp edges on that can.

9 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Oh! OH! TANGENT!

Approximately less than half a percent of women died in cooking fires from the 1100s onward. Yep, you heard right. It wasn't in the top five causes of death, top ten- less than half a percent since the 1100s. Some woman whose name I've forgotten did a study on the subject, and was shocked by the results. Lots of museums still tell the all-woman-died-in-cooking-fires story, despite the fact that it's not remotely true. As someone who has cooked on a fire in long skirts, it's actually quite difficult to catch yourself on fire. The aprons are wool, which is flame-retardant, and draw the skirts tightly around the legs and out of the way. I just wanted to share- historical cooking is a passion of mine, as is turning people's expectations about history upside-down!

That still feels like a lot of women to me! But I guess I never was told that many women died from cooking fires.

The Duggars modesty rules confuse me. When I was younger I was taught to always wear slips under my skirts but showing a slip was super immodest. However, in Jingers engagement photos there is one picture where her skirt is see thru and she could have benefitted from a slip! Funny that they go through so much effort to prevent people from seeing their figures and then unknowingly post a picture with a dress that is basically see thru in certain lighting.

I also have never understood how people who blur out their knees on TV can breast feed on TV. I know it's totally natural and something that should not be shamed for occurring in public. But it feels unnecessary to breast feed on TV (obviously covered but still calling attention to ones breasts) when someone is so concerned with modesty and not arousing unrighteous desires or what not. 

19 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

Sorry to point out a  mistake (I make many myself), but I thought this one was rather funny. LGBT version of the Bible?

Nice catch. :laughing-rofl:

On 10/12/2016 at 6:57 PM, MargaretElliott said:

No hate, I agree. I love anything flowing and floral, and so does she. I love maxi skirts, not for any religious reason, but because they're so flowy and twirly. I'd wear a good portion of Jill's outfits.

My best friend from work dresses the same way outside of work and I always have to tell her how beautiful she is...it's a great look!

That still feels like a lot of women to me! But I guess I never was told that many women died from cooking fires.

The Duggars modesty rules confuse me. When I was younger I was taught to always wear slips under my skirts but showing a slip was super immodest. However, in Jingers engagement photos there is one picture where her skirt is see thru and she could have benefitted from a slip! Funny that they go through so much effort to prevent people from seeing their figures and then unknowingly post a picture with a dress that is basically see thru in certain lighting.

I also have never understood how people who blur out their knees on TV can breast feed on TV. I know it's totally natural and something that should not be shamed for occurring in public. But it feels unnecessary to breast feed on TV (obviously covered but still calling attention to ones breasts) when someone is so concerned with modesty and not arousing unrighteous desires or what not. 

But don't know know that modesty doesn't apply all the time. Like when you're pregnant you can wear tight tshirts so everyone will know about the blessing growing in your body!

2 hours ago, nst said:

now if we are discussing pantry - hmmm - I have chocolate chips, taco shells and beans

what can I make :D

and yes apparently it's a public school.... I also have an earthquake ratio bunch of food in the car and in the cupboard

Tacos with chocolate mole sauce.

3 minutes ago, Arix said:

Tacos with chocolate mole sauce.

That sounds odd, please tell me more. :) (Is that spicy or sweet?)

Ok here in England we call ketchup tomato sauce.

For a moment I was really grossed out but From what I can gather by some of these posts, that's not the case in the US and Izzy is eating a sauce made of tomatoes and not ketchup? 

Please tell me I have this correct! As much as eating cold sauce out of the can is pretty weird, feeding your baby ketchup is a whole different kinda special!

2 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

That sounds odd, please tell me more. :) (Is that spicy or sweet?)

It's spicy and sweet. Chocolate and chilies.

1 minute ago, Gemini said:

For a moment I was really grossed out but From what I can gather by some of these posts, that's not the case in the US and Izzy is eating a sauce made of tomatoes and not ketchup? 

Please tell me I have this correct! As much as eating cold sauce out of the can is pretty weird, feeding your baby ketchup is a whole different kinda special!

He's eating spaghetti sauce.

Just now, Arix said:

(snip)

Thank you! It sounded rather odd to me. I only know chocolate as a sweet, not as an ingredient for anything else. So, thank you very much.

3 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

Thank you! It sounded rather odd to me. I only know chocolate as a sweet, not as an ingredient for anything else. So, thank you very much.

Starbucks has a chilli mocha right now, which is a good gateway drug to chilli and chocolate.

And you're welcome. Food is so interesting in variations.

11 minutes ago, Arix said:

He's eating spaghetti sauce.

Thank you! I feel slightly less weirded out now lol. 

The Dugger's diet reminds me of the scene in Elf when Buddy declares that the four main food groups are candy, candy cane, candy corn and syrup. 

Izzy is not quite eating pasta sauce, but plain tomato sauce with very little seasoning in it.  Tomato sauce might have some salt, but little else besides tomatoes.  Most people put basil, oregano, other herbs and garlic into their pasta sauce.  There are varieties of pasta sauce, too, like marinara, Bolognese, puttanesca, and arrabiata.  I'll not get into whether you call it sauce or gravy either. That's for the Italians to argue about.

26 minutes ago, Gemini said:

My grandmother lived through the depression and she described eating ketchup sandwiches or ketchup soup for meals when they didn't have anything else. She always stuffed her pockets full of condiments when we went to McDonald's because she was still stuck in that mindset that she might need it one day to eat.

I kind of think the older girls experience early on was similar. They fed babies canned food because it was cheap and easy but don't realize that's not what the rest of us do. I imagine there's a ton of salt in that can that's probably not meant to be eaten by a baby or straight from the container since it's designed to be used as sauce rather than a meal. 

The photo screams to me "look how thrifty (and thus godly) we are!" But in reality it's just unhealthy and stupid. Want a super healthy and free meal for your son? Go puree some of the vegetables from Jana's garden! While canned food may be the convenient thrifty option, I can't imagine it's actually that much cheaper than buying a couple tomatoes and taking the time to chop/puree them. 

2 hours ago, CorruptionInc. said:

I think what is frustrating here is that Jill has more than enough time to cook a proper meal for Izzy. 

She also has plenty of time to google healthy recipes if she so chooses and time to shop for ingredients.

At the end of the day, despite marriage, she is a Duggar and Duggars are lazy. If there is an easy way out, they'll take it; regardless if it may put others in harms way.

AND PROUDLY display it on social media.

It's interesting, in my family at least that I know if, my mom and sister can eat a lot of foods cold no problem while me and my twin brother need anything that is usually warmed up always warmed up.

It just also rubs me the wrong way with eating straight out of a can, but if it's something you're not really taught (a la duggar) then at least to me it isn't surprising that she would do this. I also agree with you @Snarkle Motion about a fixed mindset. I'm also just curious if the metallic taste gets weird or annoying? But as some of you have written it seems like for the most part you're okay with it!

Canned peas are one thing, but plain tomato sauce?? There is probably a reason you never see "tomato" as a flavor for baby food (like Gerber and the such). Tomatoes are super acidic, and just eating it plain like that is probably not best for developing bellies (or any belly).  

Also, fwiw, I don't rememeber them feeding the baby peas lying down, I seem to remember him sitting in a chair while Jana fed him peas (I think this was the first special.).

I think you're right actually. There was another incident where one of the girls was laying down being fed, I believe it was oatmeal, with a gigantic spoon, out of a styrofoam cup. I merged the two things together in my head. But we've seen the babies being fed veggies out of the van more than once though so the laying down thing might have happened with that too.  Anyone remember better?

I remember one of the younger  girls as a baby being fed something from a spoon by michelle while laying down.  More details escape me, I'm afraid.

9 hours ago, missegeno said:

Fwiw, literal translations of any text are rather rare, just because different languages are different and don't perfectly overlap. There's always this or that which doesn't have a good way to say in the second language and thus gets a bit of translator spin on it. The bible is a particularly varied example, with so many interpretations and so many historical perspectives.

I do like Young's Literal Translation, which does not include interpretation. It's amazing what the ancient languages actually said compared to the meanings that have been imposed.

Serious bible study require use of several versions and an interlinear version. KJV only or anything only is nonsense and is lazy.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived