IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel- Part 19

samurai_sarah

13 hours ago, Mercer said:

I'm not criticizing his choice to work - I actually think that teaching is probably the most useful job he's had in his adult life - I'm just finding it puzzling that his current chosen line of work is in something he was openly critical of only a short time ago. It's not like the concept of public schooling has changed dramatically in the past few months, so it's unclear to me why Derrick suddenly changed his mind about it and is now going all in. It's not necessarily a bad thing (though that depends on his motivations,) it just seems a little strange.

I wonder how he'll respond to having gay or transgender kids in class, or kids of a different religion. 

Emphasis mine. There's nothing to indicate he's "going all in" -- I seriously doubt he'll be pursuing long-term subbing assignments or trying to sub every day. I expect he will just pick up days here and there, if he intends to continue.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Buzzard said:

What is all that crap on the floor? They have a toddler!

That's what I'm sayin'...I thought my house was cluttered, but geez...at least I keep stuff off of the floor! :pb_lol:

18 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

As a former sub (I now work in a school, but not as a teacher) I have to hand it to Derick for subbing in a high school. I only subbed in middle and elem because I don't have thick enough skin to handle HS. I'm sure Derick heard many a curse or sexual innuendo that would have horrified Duggar and Co. 

I went to a "good" rural school and the majority of kids were assholes to subs. Unfortunately I'm sure years later it's not too different.

I went to a "good" suburban school and so many kids were assholes to subs. I had my moments, I confess. I once convinced a sub that Tupac Shakur was a Jewish holiday. Though my fourth grade class also got a sub fired because she hit a kid with a yardstick while making us sit ramrod straight and silent while listening to classical music in the dark. She was weird.

I had no idea you could be a substitute teacher without a BA in education.

That's kind of.....scary. 

In my state, you can be a sub in the area that you have your degree in, for instance, accounting. You have to pass the background check, then take a short course about subbing/ working in a school, etc. That is only for short term (1-2 days at a time). Long term subs (like for a maternity leave) have to be actual teachers. 

The hypocrisy of this family dumbfounds me.  Supporting state college football teams, but they would never allow their kids to attend those schools, or play football.  Being a public school sub, but you wouldn't send your kids to school. 

How do Jill and Derek expect Izzy to continue the family tradition of the Pistol Pete mascot? 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Well it's not like the sub is coming up with lessons or anything, unless like someone else said, they're a long-term sub, in which case they do need to have a degree. The regular teacher leaves a plan that tells the sub exactly what they're supposed to do with the students. A sub really just needs to know how to manage a classroom and give directions.

Are we sure that Derrick's substitute teaching wasn't just a one time thing? I have a hard time believing he has decided to go back to work. Also, if he intends to go back to real work, he needs to be doing it full-time, not once a week or just subbing here and there.

I see no reason to give him credit for subbing once in awhile when he has a family to support. I don't think he is trying to help out his family financially, it's more likely he is looking for something to do before he finds something more interesting to fall into. This will happen again and again. First an accountant, then a missionary and now a substitute teacher. What after that? As a former accountant, I don't understand why he doesn't worry about what happens when the show ends. The longer he waits to build his career the further down the pay scale he will start. Why he isn't doing something to build a retirement account or nest egg when the show is gone? I won't say save for a house because I am sure he is happy living in Jim bob's house. I assume a college fund for IZZY isn't in the cards either. This type of stuff would stress me out but I like to plan for the future. 

Out where I live you just have to have a bachelors degree to be a substitute teachers, which is why a lot of them were just random coaches at our school or some of the private music instructors. Which, I was in a really good district and I don't think its that unusual he is doing the same. 

33 minutes ago, socalrules said:

This type of stuff would stress me out but I like to plan for the future. 

Well, they have a plan... that plan is just to leave money stuff up to God and/or Jim Bob. 

It'd drive me crazy not to be planning for a family's financial future, too. Even if they're not saving much money, at least one could have a full-time job like he used to (so we know he's employable). Then again, they're all so proud of not using contraception to limit or at least space out the kids, so probably not much financial foresight there to begin wtih. 

1 hour ago, December said:

Well, they have a plan... that plan is just to leave money stuff up to God and/or Jim Bob. 

It'd drive me crazy not to be planning for a family's financial future, too. Even if they're not saving much money, at least one could have a full-time job like he used to (so we know he's employable). Then again, they're all so proud of not using contraception to limit or at least space out the kids, so probably not much financial foresight there to begin wtih. 

I know they say "save the difference"...but do fundies really save all that much? I feel like saving too much money for the future would not be trusting in God enough. 

Stupid thinking, but I can see it! 

2 hours ago, December said:

Then again, they're all so proud of not using contraception to limit or at least space out the kids, so probably not much financial foresight there to begin wtih. 

I think at this point, assuming that both Jill and Derick have 'normal' fertility and that she hasn't had a miscarriage, chances are very high that they are indeed doing something to space out their kids, though whether they are doing this intentionally or (at least quasi)  unintentionally is anyone's guess. (For example it's possible they are just really not having sex much at all solely due to lack of desire on his part, and haven't happened to have sex at the 'right' time for this reason). 

Maybe Jill and Derick need health insurance? If Jill and Derick are planning on having another baby here in the states, they would need it. Any insurance Derick had through Walmart has long since expired, and they were off playing pretend missionary during the open enrollment period, so starting a new job would qualify for a special enrollment period. It would be expensive, (bare bones insurance at my district is $1200 per month for the substitute teacher + family) but it would still be less expensive than a botched home birth turned emergency c-section.  

1 minute ago, hethamahay said:

Maybe Jill and Derick need health insurance? If Jill and Derick are planning on having another baby here in the states, they would need it. Any insurance Derick had through Walmart has long since expired, and they were off playing pretend missionary during the open enrollment period, so starting a new job would qualify for a special enrollment period. It would be expensive, (bare bones insurance at my district is $1200 per month for the substitute teacher + family) but it would still be less expensive than a botched home birth turned emergency c-section.  

But God will take care of the birth! Don't you understand?

Plus they'd just beg for donations if they had to in order to cover the expenses, suckers would pay.

The boys in my class were so mean to a sub in 3rd grade that she broke down and called us all rotten brats and vowed never to sub for us again. It was a parochial school with about 3 available subs, and she kept good on her word for about 4 years until none of the others would teach us either. Fine upstanding little Christian children we were not. 

I think this job was a one time deal for Derick and I just hope they don't use it as a storyline. 

2 minutes ago, breakfree said:

But God will take care of the birth! Don't you understand?

Plus they'd just beg for donations if they had to in order to cover the expenses, suckers would pay.

True. I had a cousin who refused to get insurance when his wife gave birth prematurely. They begged and borrowed tens of thousands of dollars from their church to pay it. It helps that he married the pastors daughter. So I can see leghumpers from all across the country giving "love offerings" to the Dillards. 

Medicaid. But that would go against their beliefs. No welfare for Duggars, only grifting.

When one of our teachers was sick, we had a another teacher from our school. To my knowledge no person who is not a teacher at that school can do that. Sometimes we had the lesson off and sat in our classroom and a teacher would come every fifteen minutes or so to check on us (no idea if that is possible in the US with the strict supervision "laws".) We usually made our homework or watched a film during that time and if the lesson was the last one, we got to go home early or come late if it was the first one. No school buses or something like that, so that is no problem. We used public transport to and from school. Sometimes starting as early as year 1. My elementary school was in walking distance (25 minute walk), so I walked there with classmates. (No adult!) 

My normal teacher's pet teenager freaked out a sub so bad thst she left the room and never came back. (She sat quietly in the back corner, hands folded over her book. Sub called roll but she didn't answer to her name. When the sub walked over and asked if she in the wrong class, she looked up and in a soft feathery voice said "you can see me?" The sub started frantically calling the office when one of my daughter's friends walked in and said hi to her. She said hi back then promptly introduced herself to the sub and sat back down. That sub hasn't come back in 3 years. I admit it, when she told me, I was laughing hysterically.

In parts of rural Arkansas you don't even need any sort of degree to sub. It's like a 3 week accelerated training course and background checks, prints, etc. I considered it but my smallest wolfie was having too many issues.

12 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

When I was in school, 100 years ago or so, a single-day sub was just a babysitter.

There is no indication that Derrick is taking over the class for any great length of time. I believe, like others have stated, that subs were needed so that the teachers could attend the student's funeral.

14 hours ago, socalrules said:

Are we sure that Derrick's substitute teaching wasn't just a one time thing? I have a hard time believing he has decided to go back to work. Also, if he intends to go back to real work, he needs to be doing it full-time, not once a week or just subbing here and there.

I see no reason to give him credit for subbing once in awhile when he has a family to support. I don't think he is trying to help out his family financially, it's more likely he is looking for something to do before he finds something more interesting to fall into. This will happen again and again. First an accountant, then a missionary and now a substitute teacher. What after that? As a former accountant, I don't understand why he doesn't worry about what happens when the show ends. The longer he waits to build his career the further down the pay scale he will start. Why he isn't doing something to build a retirement account or nest egg when the show is gone? I won't say save for a house because I am sure he is happy living in Jim bob's house. I assume a college fund for IZZY isn't in the cards either. This type of stuff would stress me out but I like to plan for the future. 

well this is because you and I are not in a cult and trained not to think like that. 

As for your post - so brilliant I can't even top it up with the fact that they have the wool over their eyes intentionally 

it freaks me to the core.  Because I have my retirement already set up daily - investment properties.... maybe being a missionary is his dream and they must not worry about retirement.   

then I see a problem.  

Yeah, I still wouldn't want some rando Dugger (yes, the SILs are also Duggars) subbing my kids, even with a lesson plan already set for them. :pb_lol:

12 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Medicaid. But that would go against their beliefs. No welfare for Duggars, only grifting.

I don't understand this logic. Do they not pay taxes? Any use of Medicaid has already been paid for. 

On 6.10.2016 at 9:05 AM, Gobbles said:
When one of our teachers was sick, we had a another teacher from our school. To my knowledge no person who is not a teacher at that school can do that. Sometimes we had the lesson off and sat in our classroom and a teacher would come every fifteen minutes or so to check on us (no idea if that is possible in the US with the strict supervision "laws".) We usually made our homework or watched a film during that time and if the lesson was the last one, we got to go home early or come late if it was the first one. No school buses or something like that, so that is no problem. We used public transport to and from school. Sometimes starting as early as year 1. My elementary school was in walking distance (25 minute walk), so I walked there with classmates. (No adult!) 

Wow, I can't imagine this in the us. Where did you go to school?

Our school had a cover rota.  Teacher had free periods for admin, and for some of those they'd be on the rota.   Thus if a teacher was sick, different teachers would cover different periods of that day.  Cover work would be set, so it would be book learning mainly, so that all the covering teacher had to do was crowd control, and they could still do admin while babysitting the class.  Sixth form (final two years), wasn't normally covered, the work would be set, but they had free periods any way so would get an extra free period to go do the work on their own.  If it was near big exam times then often that department would ensure cover from within for the exam classes (GSCEs) and the cover teacher would go cover a non exam class.

We never had substitutes except for things like maternity leave (6months - 1 year in the UK).

Only 6th form got to go home early if a teacher was away though :(

He may have had a hard time finding work in his field or anything related to.  Subbing might fill in the gap for the moment.   It might be steady enough that they can get by until something better comes along.  

@Gobbles  That's pretty much how our school was too.  If a teacher was out on a planned something, there would be an actual substitute teacher.  Many times, if it was just a call in day another teacher would come in, get us started and check back every so often.  My mom was an aide for years and she subbed many classes when there was no one else to sit in.  In Louisiana, you don't need any kind of degree beyond a high school diploma to substitute teach, you simply don't get paid as much as someone with any kind of degree. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived